PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Weapons That Are Worth It

Bullet06320
2015-09-21, 02:15 AM
as originally posted on the WOTC boars by wabberjacky on Feb 22, 2007
http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1104751

There are tons of cool exotic weapons, but when weighed against the price of taking the feat to wield them without penalty, they might not look so great.

Here's some that are worth the price you pay. More suggestions much appreciated, as well as builds (or links to them) that make use of an exotic weapon, or enable their usage especially well.

Spiked chain: Most of us know how obvious this is. Any sort of search for the word “chain” and maybe “fighter” on this board will turn up numerous builds, a lot of them very nasty.

Bastard sword: Or perhaps more accurately, katana. An Iajutsu Master can Weapon Finesse a katana with only a 2 level dip. This and its cousin, the dwarven waraxe, are also probably the best use of the Exotic Weapon Master’s uncanny blow stunt. For a character with an abnormally high Str score, multiplying your modifier by a full 2 instead of 1.5 can start to get a little unreasonable at a brisk pace.

Dwarven waraxe: See above for use with Exotic Weapon Master. This one also has the very nice benefit of not requiring a feat if you’re a dwarf. And there’s certainly nothing wrong with a dwarf.

Dwarven urgosh: Again, free for a dwarf. Normally, I’d say double weapons aren’t worth the feat, but when it costs nothing, go ahead. Granted, one end has a smaller damage dice, which doesn’t give it the advantage of other double weapons, but having two types of damage is handy, most of your feats apply to both ends, and it can be set against a charge, which is in my opinion an underrated ability.

Sharktooth staff (SS): This one’s infamous with my main group, and for good reason. Combine the damage dice of a greatsword with the crit multiplier of a greataxe, and you have a decent weapon. However, you also get to make a free grapple attempt at any Small or Medium enemy every time you hit them, and then deal free weapon damage in subsequent rounds. The size restriction prevents huge abuse, but it is just as good as it sounds. Hell, it’s even cheaper and weighs less than a greatsword.

Orc shotput (S&F): Yeah, no errata for this thing. A big, silly pile of numbers: 2d6 damage, 19-20/x3 threat, 10 ft range increment. You’ll want to be at least Medium size to use them, though.

Kusari-gama (DMG): A spiked chain that you can wield in one hand! Okay, okay, you can’t Power Attack with it, but still, this is a solid weapon. All the other goodies of the spiked chain wrapped in a cute little package called “light weapon”. Two-weapon Fighting with these can be barrels of fun.

Greathammer (MM4): Another goofy pile of numbers. 1d12 damage and 19-20/x4 threat (!?). And yes, I realize the minotaur’s stat block says just “x4”, blah, blah. Take that debate elsewhere.

Tigerskull club (Frost): Not overpowering, but probably worth a feat if you’ve got room and will make use of its unique combination of properties. A x4 multiplier, two types of damage, tripping and disarming abilities, and it’s one-handed. Anyone have any builds/tricks/combos or specific tactics with this?

Flind bar (MM3): These things are quite solid. They give you a free disarm attempt with a +2 bonus every time you threaten a critical hit. They are also one-handed and have nice numbers for being so at 2d4 damage with 19-20/x2 threat. And hey, if you’re ever a flind gnoll for whatever reason, they’re free!

Jovar (PlHB): Although not as silly as the greathammer or shotput, this is also just a pile of numerals: 2d6 damage with an 18-20/x2 threat. Largest damage dice of any weapon with 18-20/x2? Anyone know of a bigger one? For style points, wield one as an evil character and graffiti the blade to warp the Celestial writing on it into something blasphemous.

Harpoon (Frost): Interesting weapon. It can be lodged in an opponent if they fail a Reflex save, and deals the same damage when pulled out as it did going in. The returning enchantment could theoretically just cause it to do double damage, but that’s definitely a DM’s call. Raise the damage as much as possible, as the DC for the save is 10 + damage dealt.

Elven lightblade (RotW): This little guy and it’s big brother, the thinblade, are just kukris and rapiers (respectively) with bigger damage dice, although the lightblade does piercing damage, not slashing. Normally, this would be a pass, but if you’re an elf, Improved Weapon Familiarity gets you proficiency in both. What’s better, your feats that name rapier (Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, etc) apply to both.

Elven thinblade (RotW): See elven lightblade.

Dragonsplit (MM4): This is the “other” x4 threat one-handed weapon. Unlike the tigerskull club, this does slashing damage, which qualifies it for things that the club can’t, and it counts as a light weapon for Two-weapon Fighting and Weapon Finesse. However, it has no tripping or disarming qualities.

Crescent knife (Dr275): I don’t have the actual text of this or the braid blade, so I’m just going on what I’m told. This lets you make 2 attacks in place of every attack you would normally make. Silly.

Braid blade (Du120): These grant you an extra attack and are affixed to your hair instead of being wielded normally. The extra attacks given by wearing multiples seems to stack, and there seems to be no limit to the number you can wear. Need confirmation on what issue this appears in.

Bullet06320
2015-09-21, 02:18 AM
I am gonna add my own vote to this list
Lasso (BoED pg.34) while is an exotic weapon, its price is simple, and I have allowed its use in VoP builds, especially considering the source. Its a nice option when you want to capture and not kill your opponents

and as far optimizing for non VoP build, I refer to this thread
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4200.0

Masakan
2015-09-21, 02:29 AM
I'm Incredibly partial to the broadblade shortsword, very good if your more of a counter attack focused build.

Troacctid
2015-09-21, 06:00 AM
Annulat:PlH
Thrown weapon that can partially bypass cover. Neraphim have racial familiarity with it, and at 1d6 damage + 19-20/x2 crit, it's a pretty efficient thrown weapon, if you're throwing stuff. Probably not worth a feat, but if you have free proficiency, it's nice.

Boomerang:ECS
The Boomerang DazeRE feat lets you daze any enemy hit by your boomerang, which is a very potent debuff. You can also add Boomerang RicochetRE to hit two adjacent enemies with one attack. The feat support makes this a very strong thrown weapon if you're wiling to invest in it, especially if you have a source of bonus damage to increase the save DC (which scales based on the damage dealt).

Dire Flail:PH
With the Dire Flail SmashCR feat, any enemy hit by both ends of your dire flail must save or be dazed (DC 10 + half your level + Str), which is, as previously mentioned, a very potent debuff. The fact that you can trip with it as well makes it one of the better double weapons.

Drow Scorpion Chain:SX
Exactly like a spiked chain, except if you're a drow or half-drow, you can gain proficiency via the Drow SkirmisherSX/RE feat rather than EWP, which gives free extra proficiencies and a minor bonus to damage rolls if you move and attack.

Elven Courtblade:RW
1d10, 18-20/x2. Basically like the Jovar, except a little less damage in exchange for working with Weapon Finesse.

Fingerblade:Sa
Deals an extra 1d6 damage if you catch a foe flat-footed in the first round of combat. Synergizes well wit iajutsu.

Mancatcher:CW
Reach weapon that grapples on hit if the target is appropriately-sized. It also holds them 10 feet away from you if you establish a hold. An interesting lockdown option.

Pincer Staff:Und
1d10 x2 reach weapon that gives you a free grapple attempt on a hit against an enemy within one size category of you. Deals more damage than the mancatcher, but pulls the enemy into your square instead of holding them 10 feet away.

Ritiik:Fr
Lodges in your enemy like a harpoon and gives you a free trip attempt if they fail a Reflex save. It can be used as sort of a budget version of Improved Trip: instead of tripping first and getting a free hit, you hit first and get a free trip, but the general idea is similar. And of course, if you also have Improved Trip, you get a free attack after tripping them with the ritiik. The downside is you may need a backup weapon, because your ritiik will probably get stuck in the enemy's torso.

Scorpion Claw:Sa
Gives you a +4 bonus to grapple checks. Interestingly, you get the bonus even if you're not proficient with the claws, so that's nifty. The downside is your hand is essentially replaced with a scorpion claw. (Oh, who am I kidding, that's totally an upside. So badass!)

Spinning Sword:SoS
The other Kusari-Gama. Reach, finessable, and can be use against adjacent foes. It doesn't trip, but it's a one-handed weapon instead of a light weapon, so you can Power Attack with it. Also, 19-20/x2 crit instead of just x2, so the average damage is a little higher.

I'm Incredibly partial to the broadblade shortsword, very good if your more of a counter attack focused build.

I don't think it's any good post-errata. It got nerfed into the ground.

Sian
2015-09-21, 07:12 AM
Eagle's Claw:Sa
Paired with the feat Eagle's Fury Sa page 49, this gives an extra attack with each Eagle's Claw you have at -2 to all your attacks. Probably not worth it, but if you're playing an Ashanti which get Eagle's Claw as Martial weapon it might be an interesting direction.

Manople:Sa
works as a light shield (+1Shield bonus) which doesn't lose its AC bonus from attacking (effectively similar to a free Improved Shield Bash), while having better weapon stats than a spiked shield (1d6 19-20/x2, light weapon, against spiked light shield which is a 1d4 x2 light weapon)

WalkingTheShade
2015-09-21, 08:54 AM
Away from books, but I remember the weapon used by Rutterkins (Fiendish Codex I) to be interesting.

sovin_ndore
2015-09-21, 09:02 AM
Two others occur to me offhand, Gnomish Quickrazor (RoS) significant for Iaijutsu Synergy and Poison Ring (DrC) a weapon that despite its other drawbacks (insignificant damage and standard action to ready) makes touch attacks.

Rubik
2015-09-21, 10:17 AM
Sand Blaster: MM3, p58. I'll quote the text here:

A sand blaster is a Large exotic ranged weapon made from long tubes. It creates a 10-foot cone of sand, doing 1d8 points of damage (Ref DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con for half). Living creatures that fail their saves are tormented by itching skin and burning eyes, imposing a -4 penalty to AC and a -2 penalty on attack rolls for 3 rounds. The save DC is Con based. (It relies on the user's ability to blow a hearty gust of air through the tube.) A sand blaster uses 5 lbs of sand as ammunition, and packing a sand blaster with one charge of ammunition is a full-round action. A sand blaster costs 30 gp.

Why is this amazing?

See, since this exotic weapon doesn't use attack rolls, that means that magical enhancement bonuses to attack rolls are worthless. But it also means you don't need to take Exotic Weapon Proficiency with it, saving you a feat to spend on something else. You also don't need to worry about having a relatively low Str score, though I'm sure we can find a way to add your Str bonus to damage despite it making no sense. The aptitude enhancement and a feat, perhaps?

It's untyped damage, and it bypasses anything but full cover and utterly ignores concealment, as well as any other miss chance that isn't shunting the target into another plane altogether.

Furthermore, it deals damage in an area, and it's considered a ranged weapon. That means you can add weapon abilities such as Distance to increase the area it affects, as well as Far Shot.

Adding a combination weapon crystal to it (MIC, use 50% surcharge to add additional weapon crystal properties) to add returning and lots of energy damage in an area for cheap, and the returning property returns all that sand to you.

Adding an auto-reload enhancement (which is normally used on crossbows) or adding the aptitude enhancement and taking the Rapid Reload feat allows you to automatically reload your sand blaster as a free action. If you have enough sand on you to make a full attack...you get a full attack. Including Rapid Shot and Manyshot. And since you don't make attack rolls, the penalties to your attack bonus from those feats are meaningless. And further, if you add the enhancements for something like Hank's Bow, feel free to Power Shot away your entire attack bonus with little worry.

And speaking of the aptitude enhancement, feel free to take feats such as Boomerang Daze and anything else you think can push this thing even farther.

Since the sand itself is considered ammo, you can even enhance it as such. This opens up a lot of fun combos between launcher and ammo, especially since it's an AoE. Splitting, anyone?

There's a lot of optimization potential, here.

Zombimode
2015-09-21, 10:31 AM
Adding a combination weapon crystal to it (MIC, use 50% surcharge to add additional weapon crystal properties) to add returning and lots of energy damage in an area for cheap, and the returning property returns all that sand to you.

Re-read the Returning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#returning) property.

Rubik
2015-09-21, 10:33 AM
Re-read the Returning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#returning) property.It's a technicality, but you can throw it. Improvised weapons have a 10' range increment, IIRC.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-21, 12:45 PM
Adding a combination weapon crystal to it (MIC, use 50% surcharge to add additional weapon crystal properties)
There are no "weapon crystal properties"; there are only specific weapon crystals.
An augment crystal is a small gem, crystal, or similar object that provides a magical effect when affixed to a weapon, shield, or suit of armor (or any other magic item that grants an armor bonus to AC). Each item can hold a single augment crystal, but an attached crystal can be swapped for another one at any time.

Since the sand itself is considered ammo, you can even enhance it as such. This opens up a lot of fun combos between launcher and ammo, especially since it's an AoE. Splitting, anyone?

Activation: The splitting ability of a ranged weapon (must be a bow, crossbow, arrow, or bolt) only functions if its wielder has the Precise Shot feat. How is sand in any one of those "must be" categories?

There's a lot of optimization potential, here.
Sure, if you alter any rules you find inconvenient.

Rubik
2015-09-21, 01:16 PM
There are no "weapon crystal properties"; there are only specific weapon crystals.And bonus fire damage is the property of a fire-aligned energy weapon crystal. The rules allow for multiple weapon crystal effects on a single weapon crystal. Calling the effect of an item a "property" is perfectly grammatically and logically correct. You're just looking for reasons to be crotchety and contrary, like usual. At least you live up to your username.

How is sand in any one of those "must be" categories?I realized splitting didn't fit, but I hadn't changed the post yet. You are correct on this point.

Sure, if you alter any rules you find inconvenient.One thing I was incorrect on, and I'd already figured that out, thank you.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-21, 03:04 PM
And bonus fire damage is the property of a fire-aligned energy weapon crystal.
Where is that specified in the rules? I see Fire Assault Weapon Augment Crystals; I don't see any "fire damage" property you can buy separately.

The rules allow for multiple weapon crystal effects on a single weapon crystal.
The only such rules are those for custom magic items, which require individual DM consent. Weapon Augment Crystals have no formula for any costs, and there is no guarantee that such items would be allowed.