PDA

View Full Version : Should I Attempt to Destroy Everything?

Chained Birds
2015-09-21, 10:05 AM
A little side note: The current DM for my group is going away next month, so the game is in its final sessions anyways.

So my character is a Level 5 NE Bearbarian who has been a pretty good member of the group for a while. He specializes in grappling enemies or using his advantage'd Athletics to disarm, sunder, and other fun techniques to lockdown high priority threats.
Now the problem is, my character has also been on the lower end of getting magical items as he doesn't really need much to do his barbarian stuff. Why is this a problem? Well my character recently was given a large maul (Like 1800lbs) with magical properties that allows one to wield it properly over time. This is pretty cool and would probably graduate my character from grappler to frontline damage guy (We have another Barbarian in the party, so until this moment I let her be the star)!

Now onto the title: One of the other PCs has been having a good ol' Mary Sue storyline progression where he is defeating his Godling brothers to gain their powers to become a whole God again. Now I don't care about this, as it would be an interesting idea... If it wasn't for the fact his character is a big jerk about it and is actively aggressive towards other characters who call him out on his actions of eating the hearts of his brothers to gain their powers.
Being a blood-soaked barbarian, this didn't really mean much to my character. Except when he went out of his way to mug my character of his massive maul of awesomeness. Which sparked a battle where the PC abused an exploit in the rules about held actions not carrying over to the next round, meaning my character's held actions to either Grapple or Attack would not work against his character as he was higher on the initiative.
DM called BS on this, but my rolls were bad, so my character eventually gave up and snapped the maul from its hilt to spite the guy.

Now I'm in an odd conundrum. Would a NE who has just been mugged by a guy who is probably going to be protected by the other party members, use his ability to talk to plants and animals to convince the outside wilds to help him take out the town where everyone is in due to his spite and anger? Plants being a massive amount of Shambling Mounds who my character already has friendly ties with due to his backstory (He learned his grappling techniques from them).

TopCheese
2015-09-21, 10:20 AM
A little side note: The current DM for my group is going away next month, so the game is in its final sessions anyways.

So my character is a Level 5 NE Bearbarian who has been a pretty good member of the group for a while. He specializes in grappling enemies or using his advantage'd Athletics to disarm, sunder, and other fun techniques to lockdown high priority threats.
Now the problem is, my character has also been on the lower end of getting magical items as he doesn't really need much to do his barbarian stuff. Why is this a problem? Well my character recently was given a large maul (Like 1800lbs) with magical properties that allows one to wield it properly over time. This is pretty cool and would probably graduate my character from grappler to frontline damage guy (We have another Barbarian in the party, so until this moment I let her be the star)!

Now onto the title: One of the other PCs has been having a good ol' Mary Sue storyline progression where he is defeating his Godling brothers to gain their powers to become a whole God again. Now I don't care about this, as it would be an interesting idea... If it wasn't for the fact his character is a big jerk about it and is actively aggressive towards other characters who call him out on his actions of eating the hearts of his brothers to gain their powers.
Being a blood-soaked barbarian, this didn't really mean much to my character. Except when he went out of his way to mug my character of his massive maul of awesomeness. Which sparked a battle where the PC abused an exploit in the rules about held actions not carrying over to the next round, meaning my character's held actions to either Grapple or Attack would not work against his character as he was higher on the initiative.
DM called BS on this, but my rolls were bad, so my character eventually gave up and snapped the maul from its hilt to spite the guy.

Now I'm in an odd conundrum. Would a NE who has just been mugged by a guy who is probably going to be protected by the other party members, use his ability to talk to plants and animals to convince the outside wilds to help him take out the town where everyone is in due to his spite and anger? Plants being a massive amount of Shambling Mounds who my character already has friendly ties with due to his backstory (He learned his grappling techniques from them).

Take NE and all alignment things out of the equation. Then ask yourself the same question.

Evil doesn't tell you what someone will do, just to what extremes they will go to get what they want.

Does the character believe in small slight innapropiate revenge? Does he believe in punishing others for something they didn't do?

Don't let alignment dictate everything about a character.

With that said, suprise the hell out of the DM and don't do anything crazy, leave on a good note. :)

illyrus
2015-09-21, 10:30 AM
If I were looking to screw him over, I'd pick a different method. I presume eating a heart takes a separate action than the killing blow. So when he gets to the last heart he needs to eat before gaining godhood you will have 1 action to do anything. Walk over and pour acid on the heart destroying it.

gullveig
2015-09-21, 11:01 AM
Evil doesn't tell you what someone will do, just to what extremes they will go to get what they want.

Take the advice of TopCheese.

Temperjoke
2015-09-21, 11:18 AM
That group sounds surprisingly dysfunctional. I'm kinda surprised it held together that long, given the actions of the mary-sue character.

So, you're facing a dilemma. Option 1 says attempt to destroy everything out of spite and revenge. Option 2 says ruin the mary-sue as he ruined your aspirations. Option 3 says take the high road and move on with your life.

What would your character do, based on his past and upbringing? Is he an "eye for an eye" sort of person? Does he throw huge temper tantrums on a regular basis when things don't go his way? Taking revenge is generally a petty thing to do, albeit understandable. Honestly, if the mary-sue character has been acting like this the entire game, and the other characters still support him, what is motivating your character to stick with the group?

Maybe you should take the heart from the last guy and eat it yourself?

JNAProductions
2015-09-21, 11:38 AM
Agreed on wrecking just the Sue's life. No one else hurt you, so why hurt them? That's Chaotic Evil sadism. You're smarter than that. Vengeance only on those who need it.

Aetol
2015-09-21, 11:44 AM
Why is the rest of the party supporting him, if he's really the jerk you say he is ? Why didn't they support you in your fight over the maul ?

TopCheese
2015-09-21, 11:53 AM
Why is the rest of the party supporting him, if he's really the jerk you say he is ? Why didn't they support you in your fight over the maul ?

Two main reasons.

1: Afraid to get on DM's bad side.

2: OP is actually in the wrong and isn't giving the complete story.

Nishant
2015-09-21, 12:04 PM
In character, react as you believe your character to react, honestly. Don't let your irritation out of game disuade you. if that means eating a godling heart, fine.

out of character, don't do anything that would harm your relationship with the group. Your DM may be leaving, but that doesn't mean someone else wont pick up the mantle of the DM themselves later on. And I'm sure your DM wants to close the story on a positive note.

Chained Birds
2015-09-21, 04:11 PM
Don't know if we'll have time to find another Godling for my character to get revenge that way. And I "Tried" to destroy the heart of the second Godling by ripping it apart and tossing the remains into the crowded arena around us (Collosium Battle) seeing as my character likes to put on a disturbing show for his fans. I'm not using NE as an excuse for my character's actions, just a way of simply explaining why he sees nothing wrong with killing people in gruesome ways if they try to fight him.

Didn't work as the guy just consumed the creature's flesh and still got a power up...

The other party members are all new to D&D and just assume that they should follow along with the most fleshed out character instead of trying to do their own thing... Which when they decide to do their own things, it usually involves: trying to Steal stuff from the town, Kill bears in the woods for EXP, or try to Steal from the other PCs... Ya, it gets pretty bad sometimes as the DM wants stuff to be Sandbox-like and at no point set us up for anything to give our character's any bonds. Partly due to him leaving in a month, although we've been playing for quite some time now.

-----

I'll most likely not be playing my Bearbarian anymore, and just say he skipped town seeing as everything he loved about the town is gone or under new management.

I just really hate Mary Sue characters! It feels bad to leave him without any scars or something just because I had some bad rolls and couldn't stop him from mugging my guy.

Aetol
2015-09-21, 04:55 PM
Why did the DM let the character be a Mary Sue, anyway ? It's not like the "problem" player could go on that quest-to-become-god without his cooperation, no ?

Coidzor
2015-09-21, 07:08 PM
If you're having people ascend to godhood at level 5 and then not just having that character become an NPC, then, sure, go hog wild and be the BBEG who destroys reality.

Or leave the game because it's deeply dysfunctional and if you continue on in this manner eventually you and Mr. Sue's player are going to come to blows in the real world.

WickerNipple
2015-09-21, 07:09 PM
Any reason you can't just kill him in his sleep, eat his heart, and take your stuff back?

Aetol
2015-09-21, 07:12 PM
Any reason you can't just kill him in his sleep, eat his heart, and take your stuff back?

And that would totally be NE.

Kane0
2015-09-21, 08:30 PM
can you imagine what this guy would be like when he ascends to godhood? Better nip this in the bud, its only the right thing to do.

The fact that you don't like the guy and he has taken your stuff is purely coincidental.

Chained Birds
2015-09-21, 08:36 PM

And that would totally be NE.

Maybe, although it would just turn into some metagame shenanigans about how his character is always on the alert or something...

If by the time our DM leaves and the God thing or character jerk nature is not addressed, I'm thinking of having my character ride in lay siege to the town with an army of Shambling Mounds... Until then, I guess I'll play another character...

Sigreid
2015-09-21, 10:45 PM
We've only heard your side of the story, so this statement takes that as the absolute truth. There is nothing you can do. The DM and the god player have the campaign they want to do, and the rest of you are just living in it. if you were going to do anything about it, the time would have been at the other end of the campaign.

KorvinStarmast
2015-09-22, 07:53 AM
A little side note: The current DM for my group is going away next month, so the game is in its final sessions anyways. If you want revenge, you can indicate that your player character has decided to return to his barbarian homeland. He's been spending too much time around city folk, or town folk, and its wearing on his nerves. He needs to get back to his roots. Character has bid this adventure farewell. You, the person, can offer to play NPCs or monsters for the DM for the remaining sessions, if you like the people at the table, or if the other people at the table are part of the problem, make sure that you have other plans and do something else and let them wind up the campaign in whatever Mary Sue fashion they please.

Or, play along and don't worry about it, since it will soon be over.

Aetol
2015-09-22, 08:07 AM
I still want to know why the DM let him have this epic ego trip. Making a PC the explicit protagonist of the story and demoting the others to sidekick status is a terrible idea.

dev6500
2015-09-22, 03:21 PM
I still want to know why the DM let him have this epic ego trip. Making a PC the explicit protagonist of the story and demoting the others to sidekick status is a terrible idea.

I know it seems like a terrible idea from our perspective, but it happens surprisingly often. I played in a d20 modern resident evil like zombie game with a DM who gave my character almost exclusive and ridiculous plot power ups. I didn't attempt to hijack the whole story though or be a **** to the rest of the party but DM's will from time to time have a friend who is playing in the game who gets most of the plot related power ups. Not sure if its favoritism or just something that sometimes happens.

Also have had a DM assassinate a character of mine before. Same DM. So perhaps Waxing or Waning friendships has a lot to do with it.

comk59
2015-09-22, 03:55 PM
Maybe you should convince everyone you meet that he's actually the god of flower arrangement.

TopCheese
2015-09-22, 04:00 PM
Maybe you should convince everyone you meet that he's actually the god of flower arrangement.

Yeah sure, let's get all the druids, nature clerics, ancient paladins, and whomever else to worship him...

Sigreid
2015-09-22, 05:35 PM
Yeah sure, let's get all the druids, nature clerics, ancient paladins, and whomever else to worship him...

No, just the wedding and funeral planners.

Chained Birds
2015-09-22, 08:16 PM
After some thought, I will retire my bearbarian and continue play as the PC version of one of the side characters until the game comes to its ultimate conclusion. I'll simply suggest to the DM to consider my character a potential new threat to end the game if he doesn't have anything else he wants to do as a conclusion. No Big Bad throughout this game, so might as well make it a former PC who felt wronged by his companions.
There is even a chance that 2 of the party members may side with him, which might lead to a pretty cool backstabbing conclusion to this game.

Temperjoke
2015-09-22, 08:25 PM
After some thought, I will retire my bearbarian and continue play as the PC version of one of the side characters until the game comes to its ultimate conclusion. I'll simply suggest to the DM to consider my character a potential new threat to end the game if he doesn't have anything else he wants to do as a conclusion. No Big Bad throughout this game, so might as well make it a former PC who felt wronged by his companions.
There is even a chance that 2 of the party members may side with him, which might lead to a pretty cool backstabbing conclusion to this game.

Not "backstabbing", it's "justice", and it shows even Gods are not above retribution for their misdeeds, that it's mortals who are the power in this world.