View Full Version : [5e, mid-level oneshot] Raiders of Bruenir's Isle -- IC Thread

lordshadowisle
2015-09-21, 11:19 AM
Located just outside the isthmus leading to Bruenir's Isle, the keep of El-lantel, a small stone fortress designed to repel pirates and coastal raiders, was never very important on the larger scale of things. The walls of El-lantel are worn with age, and some areas of the exterior have clearly not been well maintained over the years.

El-lantel was never meant to hold more than a few hundred soldiers at one time, but at this particular moment, over a thousand troops from various organizations have been gathered here. The reason is simple: to end the threat of Azurnolg, the blue tyrant. Azurnolg, previously content with ruling over her domain, has recently began a spate of attacks against ships and even villages across Shellfisher's bay. With no seeming end to this terror, a coalition of forces has been assembled, gathered under a call to arms by Commander Braden Yil of the Lord's Alliance.

You have recently received a letter requesting your assistance with with the coalition's efforts, and have subsequently traveled to El-lantel, the main staging ground for the operation. As you enter the fortress, however, you notice that the scale of the operation is far vaster than you had first imagined, and certainly not what you are used to. While the numbers are impressive, however, you are not certain that many of the assembled forces are quite as skilled as yourself. At first glance, your presence here appears to be a bit of a mismatch. Just as you are thinking that, someone from the crowd appears to recognize you, and whisks you away from the crowd to a waiting area just outside one of the upper halls inside the keep.

"Wait here. Lord Yil will address all of you together, once the meeting with the other leaders of the Coalition have ended." After saying that, the character leaves the room, leaving behind a well-dressed attendant and three other people.

Ruman, as a soldier, you have heard of Lord Braden Yil. He is considered a shrewd and famous general, and has much experience in all sorts of battles. He is a better strategist and tactician than leader, however.

Trena, your knowledge of history tells you that Lord Braden Yil has won several difficult battles in the past, but not without considerable losses.

Area Map (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9PurWty4zBtMDhUbkExa0xrWDA/view?usp=sharing)

Please introduce yourselves to each other. If you need any information that your character should know, just ask in spoilers. Feel free to share any info you want.
There is an attendant in the room who can answer some basic questions your characters might have.

Lank
2015-09-21, 01:18 PM
Ruman brushes his hair from out of his face. It usually wasn't an issue because he would often be wearing his helmet but in a social situation like this his plate helmet rests underneath his arm. "Well you all look a lot more well equipped than most soldiers I am use to fighting along side. The name is Sir Ruman Wargazer, Champion of Torm and of the Order of the Gauntlet. Might I know the names of the brave women I will be fighting beside?

saithor
2015-09-21, 01:26 PM
Trelia watched the three strangers in the room that she had been sent to. She didn't recognize any of them, or the man who had brought her here....not very likely to be a trap. She decided to relax, and smelled the smallest hint of the sea in the air, the fortress being close enough to the ocean. It had been too long since the last time she had been on board a ship. One of the strangers started talking, braver than the rest of them. "My name is Trelia Calwater, storm sorceress, Sir Wargazer." Wargazer? What sort of name was Wargazer. Aristocrats gave themselves the weirdest of name sometimes.

Anyr
2015-09-22, 05:36 AM
Jenna was in high spirits. From the looks of it, this place had no shortage of interesting people. When Ruman addressed the group, she gave him a bright and sincere smile.

"Jenna Trelai, of the Sun Soul Order. I look forward to working with all of you."

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-09-22, 08:37 AM
Feral stood in the back of the group and leaned against the wall, the last to be grabbed. As the man departed to gather Lord Yil, the others in the group opted to introduce themselves to each other. They seemed kind enough, if not an odd combination of people for someone to bring in. These four in particular looked more experienced than the rest of the invited, and he hoped that his reputation within his villages had not spread to them, even if this Braden Yil had heard of his exploits. Better that he control the information these people had of him. "Feral, Emerald Enclave." He said, with just enough gruff in his voice to make sure it carried to the group before standing straight instead of leaning on the wall.

Irish Musician
2015-09-22, 08:48 AM
Trena Bashsta (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=559173), Eldritch Knight
Trena had received her letter and had immediately left for the military staging area. Her travels went well and she arrived promptly. When she walked into the encampment she saw as many soldiers as she had ever seen before. She was a little in awe, until she realized that her ability level was far beyond all of the soldiers standing around. She began to get impatient when she was flagged down by a man. He showed her to a waiting room, already populated with a few others.

She stared around the room, trying to size up the other warriors. Some introductions are made and Trena gets a sly smile as they start introducing themselves. So, she says to herself, I guess I am the 'bad one' in the group. she cracks a little smile to herself until the introduction lands at her feet. "Trena Bashsta of The Zhentarim. Pleased to meet all of you." She ends with a sly smile. She wasn't much for talking, but since all of her fame and adventures she has come out of her shell somewhat. She still didn't like talking, esp in front of crowds and the like, but now she could at least hold her own in a conversation.

Lank
2015-09-22, 09:18 AM
"Well now we are all acquainted I feel I should ask about your specialties and fighting styles. I myself am experienced in the role of heavy cavalry and shock infantry, as well as the occasional smite I may add". Ruman chuckles to himself. "Aye give me a wrongdoer and space for riding, and Bubbles and I will drive it into the sea at the end of my lance".

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-09-22, 12:45 PM
Feral listens to the cavalryman talk. He's less inclined to share much on himself, but if he is to be working with this team to bring down the drake, then so be it. "I am an established druid of the Enclave. Natural magic and commune with the wildlife. Scouting or supporting, my connection with nature and these islands. Combat is not something I excel in."

Irish Musician
2015-09-22, 01:10 PM
Trena Bashsta (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=559173), Eldritch Knight
Trena smirks at the paladin's righteousness. "Depends on your definition of wrongdoer." She gives a little chuckle to herself, "Well, I can put an arrow between your eyes at six hundred feet. And if that doesn't kill you, my arcane fires will." She lifts her hand up, palm open and up, and a small ball of fire appears hovering over her hand. She then closes her fist and the fire snuff out, a small whiff of smoke swirling around before disappearing.

saithor
2015-09-22, 02:54 PM
Trealia shook her head slightly as Wargazer talked. Bubbles? she thought to herself What sort of name is Bubbles?. Now the other members of the group seemed to be boasting about their own abilities now. Were they really that trusting, or just arrogant boasters trying to make themselves look big. "I've already said that I am a storm Sorceress, I don think that any of you are stone-headed enough to mistake what that means in terms of my specialties and fighting style.". True she was quite skilled in illusions and enchantments as well, but it was always best to hold that sort of information back until it was needed.

Anyr
2015-09-22, 06:14 PM
The various negative vibes bounced harmlessly off Jenna's aura of optimism. After all, she and her new comrades had only just met. A bit of reticence on their part was only natural. Hopefully in time, they'd all learn to trust one another.

"As you might have already guessed, I'm a barehanded martial artist. I use a fast and fluid fighting style, which tries to keep enemies off balance. I can also channel the flow of ki (that's the divine spark in all of us) through my body, to let me surpass my usual limits. I've got some training with ranged weapons; But I'm at my strongest when using my fists.

If any of you have any questions for me, feel free to ask. Getting to know each other will make us a better team."

Lank
2015-09-22, 06:39 PM
"Just keep that bow pointed at the enemy and not me and we shall get along fine. I have had little in the ways of dealing with the Zhentarim, I honestly didn't expect them to grace us with their presence but I suppose they are worried about their cash flow ever since the foul beast started sinking ships".

Irish Musician
2015-09-22, 06:48 PM
That made Trena laugh out loud, not very loud mind you, but so that the others actually heard it. "They were indeed troubled by the loss in profits. But their loss in profits isn't why I am here. I have my own reasons for going on this insane mission. And there are many different types of people in the Zhentarim. Some of them very nice, well meaning people looking to elevate their station. But some of them will slit your throat for a piece of gold. I am......somewhere in between." She pauses and the smile fades from her face. A neutral look replaces it, "The only ones I aim my arrows or my fire at are those that get in my way. As long as you are not one of those unfortunate few, then we will have no problem." Trena then pulls out what looks to be a journal, as well as quill and ink, and writes down a few thing, looking from person to person as they have introduced themselves.

lordshadowisle
2015-09-22, 09:34 PM
While the party is occupied with conversation, the sound of shuffling chairs can be heard from the adjacent meeting hall. Ever alert, the attendant informs everyone that the coalition meeting is likely over and it will be not long before Commander Yil sees the party. Indeed, the attendant's observations are correct; not a minute later, the sound of doors opening can be heard.

As the coalition leaders walk past the holding room, the attendant gives a brief description on each leader.

The first leader exiting from the meeting room is a dwarf of robust build. His fast and heavy steps are accompanied by a soft metallic chink, and seems to indicate that he is wearing some kind of armor, perhaps a chain shirt, under his clothes. Zern Xerkstil leads the Order of the Gauntlet's contingent, which consists of a sizable force of knights, paladins, and clerics.

Zern is closely followed by Olisara Lightsong, wood elf. The attendant describes her as being the most senior of the few Harper agents present, which is perhaps surprising given her youthful appearance (then again, judging the age of elves is at best a difficult art). The Harpers seem content with contributing intelligence on Bruenir's Isle.

The age of the next leader is perhaps easier to judge; walking with a plain yew cane, a wizened wood elf plods slowly along the corridor. Seranol the Whisperer speaks on behalf of the volunteers from the Emerald Enclave. Their role will mostly be limited to navigation and path-finding through the difficult terrain to Bruenir's Isle.

The last to leave the meeting room is a tall slender woman dressed in a flowing black robe. Lureene Dundragon is nominally in charge of the contingent of Zhentarim mercenaries and mages, and the attendant speculates that she is one of the latter.

The attendant then proceeds to lead the party into the meeting hall to meet Lord Yil.

lordshadowisle
2015-09-22, 09:45 PM
The meeting hall is dominated by a large table occupying the hall's center. On the table itself are several maps and charts of the area, as well as lists of names, equipment, and spells; these appear to be war plans and logistics lists for the coming campaign. A man of about 50 years of age, dressed in worn leather armor, stands at one end of the table studying the maps. As you come closer to the table, he moves to cover part of the plans on the table.

"You must be the experienced adventurers that have been recommended by the coalition. I am Braden Yil of House Cardona, and I will be leading this campaign.

I have heard of some of your exploits, and I am glad to have you here. Unfortunately," he pauses, "however much your presence in the main forces would help, you will not be joining the main attack force."

"It would simply not be a correct deployment of forces," Lord Yil says.

"Before I describe the mission I have in mind for you, perhaps some context will helpful. First, I am sure that you have not often heard of many instances where an assembled army has successfully hunted down a dragon. Why do you think this is so? What is the greatest challenge in using an army, however formidable, to defeat a dragon?"

He is expecting one or two answers from anyone.

Anyr
2015-09-23, 04:37 AM
Jenna listened carefully as the various commanders were described. So long as the mission lasted, these people would be her superiors. Hopefully they wouldn't start giving her contradictory orders: That was always a headache. She took a moment to straighten her red and orange robes before going to meet Lord Yil. His first impression of her mattered most of all.

When he asked his question, she resisted the urge to answer immediately. Like her teachers in the monastery, Yil was probably seeking the best reply; Not the fastest one. Only when Jenna was sure of herself did she open her mouth.

"In my opinion, sir, the greatest challenge is mobility. Armies are slow and cumbersome; While Dragons fly faster than most mortals can run. They're free to survey the situation from above, strafe the weakest point of a formation, and then be gone before their enemy knows what hit them. Even when an army is strong enough to defeat a Dragon, the creature can usually escape before they do. If you want to actually kill one, a small group of strong individuals stands a much better chance."

saithor
2015-09-23, 07:43 AM
"Size. A dragon is built for taking on large groups, between it's breath, it's spells, it's claws. Also, with an army the average soldier isn't going to have much hope of injuring a dragon, outside of a lucky hit." Most of Trelia's response was based off of rumor and hearsay, she had never run across an actual dragon before or even seen one, but the man had asked for an answer.

Lank
2015-09-23, 08:47 AM
"Reach. The dragon flies through the air, cavalry and infantry are useless to attack the dragon whilst it is in flight. Arrows simply bounce off their thick scales. Magic is the only real option but if the dragon is smart it will target casters first. Another factor is fear. Even the most disciplined shield wall can be shaken by an approaching dragon, making offensive assault harder to achieve".

lordshadowisle
2015-09-23, 08:59 AM
"Indeed, a dragon has indeed several weapons capable of damaging a small army. However, Azurnolg is still not yet so large nor old as to defeat the forces assembled here, especially with the variety of means we possess."

Lord Yil then looks to Jenna, and seems to give a small nod of approval. "Your answer is correct. Armies have few ways of dictating the terms of combat, for a shrewd dragon would simply avoid battle against a stronger foe. Therefore, any success against dragonkind must be made by exploiting their whims.

Now, you might wonder why so many forces have been committed here. What assurances do we have of defeating Azurnolg, or is our objective simply to expel her from Bruenir's Isle?

The answer is that blue dragons are unusual amongst chromatic dragons. They live ordered lives, and prefer to form structured societies and environments. And most unusual of all, only blue dragons care for their young, rarely leaving their eggs and hatchlings unattended. And that is the chain that anchors Azurnolg; we have recently received evidence that Azurnolg has recently laid a brood of eggs. She would not flee alone."

Lord Yil gives the party time to absorb the information, while he unfurls another set of maps on the table.

"The mission you will undertake is to ensure that Azurnolg does not escape with her eggs. You will set off a day before our forces begin their march into Bruenir's Isle. By boat, and under the cover of night, you will cross Shellfisher's Bay, and embark onto the other end of Bruenir's Isle. From there, you will make your way on foot towards Azurnolg's lair, and lay in wait. Based on our observations of Azurnolg's behavior, she will leave her lair to make regular patrols of the surrounding regions. By this time, most of our forces should have crossed the isthmus, coming within her patrolling range. She may engage our forces, or she may not. Either way, Azurnolg will retreat to her lair, and there is a possibility that she will retrieve her eggs and flee the island altogether.

This is where you adventurers will come in. After she first leaves to patrol, you must make your way into her lair, and secure one or more of her eggs. Under such circumstances, Azurnolg will not leave the island. Of course, if Azurnolg has previously been engaged in battle, she may be sufficiently weakened for you to defeat her outright.

That is the basic outline of the plan."

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-09-23, 09:07 AM
As the leaders exit the room, Feral makes eye contact with the Whisperer and bows his head slightly. He had spoken to the man, only once, when he was initiated into the Enclave. It was not a long, nor an engaging interaction. However, his respect for the man taking the word of Cardea so seriously had impacted him greatly, and he hoped to learn more of the leader's wisdom in the times to come.

Feral listens closely as the others talk. He does not interject, and though he looks around the room, his main focus remains on Yil. Size? So what if a dragon is capable of fighting large numbers, nothing says an army has to remain an immovable mass of bodies... He sighs deeply. The army is not the problem. The dragon is the problem. Armies succeed against armies because generals can predict the actions of other men. Dragons are selfish and incredibly intelligent creatures with lifespans competing with those of elves. How do you attempt to understand a creature like that? The reason armies are rarely successful is like the other said, mobility or even tracking. An army is easy for a dragon to spot coming and if it feels it will lose the fight, it can flee easily. The more people you have, the more opportunity for error...

Feral's eyes widen when Azurnolg's eggs are mentioned. Now that is interesting. How had he not thought that perhaps the dragon had a brood?

saithor
2015-09-23, 10:06 AM
Trelia listened to the plan quietly. She didn’t mind that her answer wasn’t the right one, she didn’t know much about dragons in the first place. “She is unlikely to leave her eggs unguarded if she values them as much as you say. Do we have any idea what sort of guards she could have watching her eggs?” she asked

lordshadowisle
2015-09-23, 10:59 AM
"A good question." Lord Yil then points to a part of the map. "As indicated here, there are some kobold villages on the island itself, and any kobold you encounter would almost certainly be serving Azurnolg. She may also have other creatures serving her, but we do not have any reliable intelligence on that.

There is also some speculation that some people are working for Azurnolg, or have been abducted and forced to work for her. Again, this is only speculation, so you might need to tread cautiously once on Bruenir's Isle. You may need to spend a portion of your time investigating the exact extent of her lair defences."

Irish Musician
2015-09-23, 01:40 PM
Trena just sits back and listens to the conversation, soaking up as much information as she can. Not only about the task at hand, but also about her comrades and what kind of answers they give. As they started talking strategy and what the plan for them was, Trena was surprised to hear that the dragon had given birth to some eggs. "Dragons are dangerous by themselves. Having a female dragon that has just popped out some eggs...that is even worse. She will be guarding them with her life, as they are probably more important to her than her horde." Trena pauses for a moment lost in thought, then continues, "This is a very dangerous task you have presented us with here. Not something to be taken lightly. Given this, and should we succeed in our endeavor, what is in it for us?" Trena looked Yil in the eye, not in a threatening way, but more just to meet the man's gaze should it land on her. She was never one to let anyone stare her down, not anymore.

History check on Blue Dragons to see if Trena has read anything specific about them that might help them in this particular instance [roll0]

And I can use my Background Feature with this:
When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Anyr
2015-09-23, 09:25 PM
Jenna couldn't help but feel satisfied about giving the right answer: Like an eager student being praised by the teacher. So far this first impression was going well. When Lord Yil mentioned the eggs, Jenna's thoughts were taken in a new direction. Obviously this news had plenty of tactical implications; But the first question which popped into her head was on entirely different lines. Hesitantly, she spoke up again.

"When Azurnolg is defeated, what will happen to her children? Blue Dragons or not, they're just infants who've never harmed anyone. Will they be allowed to hatch?"

lordshadowisle
2015-09-23, 10:18 PM
"I would have believed that the greater good would be a sufficient reason, but it appears that not everyone has the same motivations. However, I am sure you will all be rewarded accordingly by your respective affiliations."

Lord Yil then looks at Trena. "For your case, I am certain the Zhentarim will compensate you adequately, as they must had in order to muster their sizable complement of troops. In addition, the Zhentarim have negotiated for a generous portion of the proceeds if Azurnolg is defeated."

He then turns to Jenna, "While compassion is important, we have to consider the consequences of ill-placed kindness. There is a considerable risk to letting even hatchlings be. However, this scenario should not come into play; I have been informed by Seranol the Whisperer that dragon eggs do not hatch unless incubated under specific conditions. Removing the eggs from their incubation environment should render the egg dormant indefinitely."

You don't know anything about dragons. The Zhentarim do not usually deal with such creatures, though they may have come across artifacts or magics associated with dragons in their past. A better bet would be to ask members of the Emerald Enclave.

You do know that all dragons have hoards, though.

Lank
2015-09-24, 01:42 AM
"The eggs must be removed, one dragon is a big enough problem already"

Irish Musician
2015-09-24, 08:33 AM
Trena hears Yil's words, "That is sufficient. Honor and the greater good don't pay the bills. And how big are these eggs, exactly? And how many are there? I foresee a problem if we get to her lair and the eggs are half my size and plenty. Getting all of them out before she gets back may not turn out to be quite as easy as we may think."

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-09-24, 08:55 AM
"It is true that dragon eggs removed from their incubation will be dormant,," Feral speaks up, quietly but loud enough. "Better that we separate the eggs from each other as well." He continues to look around the room at this team of adventurers and cannot help but feel out of place. Demanding rewards? This was not the time for this, is your life not enough? As the soldier digs deeper into detail, Feral cannot decide whether or not he likes the woman. The Whisperer had told him of the Zhentarim, mercenaries, fighters, and mages. The soldier clearly took training from both sides, and seemed more aggressive than the rest of the group. He decides to keep an eye on her especially.

lordshadowisle
2015-09-24, 09:52 AM
"Seranol believes that dragons typically lay eggs in clutches of four, and also indicates that the eggs should not be much larger than three feet in size. Still, your concern is not invalid."

Lord Yil looks over one of the lists on the table before making a mark on the list. "This should help solve that problem." He then grabs a blank sheet of paper and writes a short note on it before handing it over.

"If you bring this note to the treasurer of the fortress, he should be able to lend you a bag of holding, which should be sufficient to hold some of the eggs without impairing your mobility. I've also instructed him to replenish any common supplies you'll require for the mission.

You may need some other methods, though, if you are thinking of separating the individual eggs, but that may not be necessary precaution."

saithor
2015-09-24, 06:02 PM
Trelia didn't care for the gold or treasure. The information on the location of her prey was payment enough, although she wouldn't say no to any treasure they happened upon. "Sounds like we hardly need to come up with a plan at all, you've laid this out so well." she said as she mulled it over in her head. She didn't really care about politics in this case anyway. She didn't really felt like she owed the Harpers any great loyalty. She respected them, but she wasn't going to go out of her way to ensure they got a hand-up on any of the other groups here.

Anyr
2015-09-25, 04:18 AM
Jenna waited silently for the others to finish asking their questions. Trelia was right: Lord Yil's plan seemed very thorough. From the sounds of it, there'd be little need for that hasty, ill-advised brand of improvisation that was the hallmark of adventuring.

lordshadowisle
2015-09-25, 06:47 AM
"There are a few other details to the plan, but I will be quick to give you more time for preparations."

Lord Yil reaches into one of the drawers, and pulls out a metal token and a odd looking device which resembles a paper cylinder. "Once night comes, head towards the docks of El-lantel. A ship has already been prepared for you, and by showing this token, the captain will try to bring you to any landing point on Bruenir's Isle you desire. Once you disembark on Bruenir's Isle, you will be on your own, and there will be no way to retreat.

Should you manage to successfully find Azurnolg's lair, do not enter immediately, even if you see Azurnolg leaving her lair! If our forces have not managed to cross the isthmus, then you risk being discovered if you enter her lair too early. Instead, you should wait for a signal from our main forces before proceeding further."

Lord Yil then hands over the paper cylinder, which on closer inspection has faint runes on the outside and carries a weak smell of gunpowder. "The main forces will need at least half a day to cross the swampy and mountainous terrain of the isthmus. This should be ample time for your team to be in position, and even accomplish any scouting or other objectives you might have.

Once all our forces have safely traversed this terrain, I will set off a device similar to this, which will light a magical pyrotechnic that is clear even in the daylight. This will inform you that the main army is in position, and that it is safe to proceed with your infiltration mission. On your end, you should also light your device, which will inform me that the plan is going smoothly and that no alterations are necessary.

That should cover all the main points of the mission. You have freedom to decide on all other execution points of your mission, as well as any other secondary objectives you might want to accomplish. If there are no other questions, I'll leave you to make your preparations."

Let me know, whether IC or OOC, if you have no questions. You can also describe what other preparations you wish to take, for example meeting with faction leaders, gathering info, equipment, etc.

Lank
2015-09-25, 06:54 AM
"I understand, we shall not enter the lair until we see the signal. I am prepped and ready to leave as soon as possible sir".

Irish Musician
2015-09-25, 08:38 AM
Trena nods at the instructions, Seems simple enough, she thinks. "And what is there are alteration to the plan that we, or you, need to make? A flair can't exactly explain itself other than the meaning given. If our respective plans need to change, how to we inform each other of this fact?" Trena definitely didn't want to get hung out to dry on this whole dragon thing. It is one thing to go against a dragon with an army backing you up. It is an entirely different thing to go against a dragon with only 4 other people.

OOC: Trena will want to go speak with Lureene Dundragon before they leave, but if you want, Lord, we can do that by PM as not to hold up the game.

saithor
2015-09-25, 05:54 PM
Trelia nodded at Trena's words. She didn't want to get hung out to dry if the plan ended up changing. This dragon thing for her was just a stepping stone to her other goals, and she had no plans on risking her life doing something that would now be completely useless. "I agree with Trenna. If the plan changes, how are we to know about it?"

lordshadowisle
2015-09-25, 08:54 PM
Lord Yil handles the paper cylinder on the table.

"This is known as a signalling tube, a partially magical pyrotechnic used for coordination of military movements over medium distances. If lit normally, it produces a signal of fixed color, depending on how it has been designed. However, since a single signal may not be enough to convey most orders, it is not unusual to carry multiple signal tubes.

It is possible, however, to vary the color of the signal produced from a single given signal tube. The core of the signal tube only generates the force to launch and scatter the tube into the air; what colors the signal are actually the outer layers, which carry simple magic. If you carefully remove the outer paper layer from the signal tube before lighting it, the generated signal will be yellow instead of green. If you remove the inner paper layer as well, it will become a faint red.

We can adopt the following code.
Green. In position, plan is going well.
Yellow. Delayed, but no changes to plan.
Red. Abort plan.

Of course, this code will be used by the main army as well. And, just in case, I'll give you an additional signalling tube."

lordshadowisle
2015-09-26, 10:34 PM
With no remaining questions, Lord Yil declares the briefing to be over. He then instructs an attendant to show you to your temporary quarters in El-lantel.

The attendant first brings you out of the main building of the keep, as apparently the temporary quarters are located on the other side of El-lantel. Conveniently, this takes you past the encampments of the main factions in the coalition, and allows a brief glimpse into the army composition and preparations of each faction.

Lord's Alliance
Immediately outside the keep's main building are several large tents, each capable of housing twenty men. The tents each bear the banner of the Lord's Alliance. As you walk past the tents, you notice men dressed in leather and hide armor with assorted crests and colors; these soldiers must have been gathered from different houses all over the continent. Inside the tents are also simple weapon racks holding spears, halberds, and bows, which suggests that these troops are infantry and archers.

Adjacent to the formation of tents is one of barrack buildings of El-lantel, which was insufficient to house the majority of the coalition forces. The attendant informs you that the barracks is now occupied by entirely by knights from the Lord's Alliance. From your vantage point, which is largely obscured by the density of the surrounding tents, you are only able to catch a glimpse of a few knights, who are dressed in pristine plate mail of highest quality, with brightly emblazoned house crests over their torsos.

Zhentarim
Compared to the Lord's Alliance, the Zhentarim contingent seems even more makeshift and haphazard, being essentially a series of large canvases stretched out amongst the roofs of adjacent wagons. The troops also do not appear to be armed uniformly, with a huge variation in armor and weapons used. Most of the assembled men seem to be armed with some combination of scimitar, shortsword, light crossbow, and shortbow, strongly hinting at the mercenary origins of this force.

Deep within the canopy of canvas, however, you notice a lone caravan which is under the heavy guard of several Zhentarim mercenaries and even a couple of Zhentarim Blackcloaks, the elite Zhentarim mages. The caravan itself has been thoroughly covered with black canvas, but it is not a ludicrous speculation to think that the caravan carries valuable cargo or personages.

Order of the Gauntlet
Once past the Zhentarim section, the next area is unmistakably that of the Order of the Gauntlet, with the religious insignia of Tyr, Helm, Torm, and Hoar everywhere in this part of El-lantel. Though fewer in number as compared to the Lord's Alliance and the Zhentarim contingents, the volunteers from the Order appear to be individually more experienced and skilled. Comprised almost entirely of paladins and clerics, the strength of the Order's formation cannot be underestimated.

Finally, you arrive at what appears to be a storehouse temporarily repurposed as living quarters. After showing you to your rooms, the attendant leaves you to your own devices. As it is still midday, there is still considerable time to make preparations for the upcoming mission.

Guys, unless you really want to meet the treasurer, assume that you've automatically visited the treasurer to stock up on whatever you need.

The party has also received the following: A bag of holding, Ship token, 2 signalling tubes. These have currently been handed over to Ruman Wargazer, on the basis that he looks most trustworthy and respectable. I'll leave it to you to discuss (IC or OOC) how else you want to carry these items.

Do let me know if you want to make any preparations or meet with anyone.

Anyr
2015-09-27, 01:01 PM
Jenna gave only the briefest attention to her new quarters. There were far better things to do than wait around. Soon enough, she was taking her own personal tour of the various encampments. Tons of interesting and skilled people were gathered together in this place. It would be a waste to pass through here without meeting some of them. Jenna wended her way through the area, in search of good company and broadened horizons. She excitedly watched the flurry of preparations happening all around her; And struck up conversations with those few people who had the time and inclination to do so. Jenna loved meeting new people. Whether it was a noble knight or a humble cook, everyone had their own story to tell.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-09-28, 10:07 AM
As the group walked, Feral trailed by about 10 yards. He leaned on his staff though he did not need to, and kept his eyes open as he passed the encampments. Much like the woman from the room, the Zhentarim seemed to be the most threatening group to him. And yet, they seemed to lack order. He walked independent of purpose, seemingly without direction as he simply followed the lead of the group. However, after passing the Order's group, he did spot the Whisperer speaking with some of the members of the Enclave. Checking that the lead was not deterring, he strayed to speak to them.Feral would speak to the Whisperer about the plan, the dragon, and about Cardea, the woman who initiated him into the Enclave. Would love if there was at least one druid to speak to, since the Enclave is not exclusively druids.

lordshadowisle
2015-09-28, 10:19 AM
Based on Jenna's interactions with random people in El-lantel, she learns the following bits of information:

Several of the soldiers participating in the campaign are not keen to cross the isthmus to Bruenir's Isle. The terrain, comprising of hills and swamps, is difficult and can only be traversed in small, exposed groups.

A small fleet of ships has been assembled, but a mass landing has been ruled out. The waters near the island are erratic and stormy, and any spotted ship or embarkment would be easily destroyed if Azurnolg attacks from the air.

Among the Order of the Gauntlet, some wanted posters of an elf are being distributed. The wanted person is Rorreth Iltazyara, a mage found guilty of practicing forbidden magics. Rorreth was originally jailed in an Order prison, but he managed to escape by taking advantage of the chaos caused by one of Azurnolg's random attacks. Since searches of the surrounding regions have not been successful in locating Rorreth, there is speculation that he has fled to Bruenir's Isle.

lordshadowisle
2015-09-28, 10:54 AM
Seranol appears to be discussing some matters with the two other Enclave members present- a female elf wielding a gnarled staff wreathed with holly, and a wild looking man with a fine bow hanging across his back. The man seems to be heatedly arguing something with Seranol. As Feral comes closer, he manages to overhear only a snippet of the conversation.

Seranol the Whisperer: "The Enclave's decision is such. We shall guide them to the lair, and nothing more nor less. Any-"

The group then notices Feral's approach, and the conversation immediately ceases. Almost as if nothing has happened, the Whisperer welcomes Feral, "Greetings, young one."

CryWolfCorrupt, I think we can speed up this conversation. You can list a few specific questions and I'll answer them; if it's too general the answers may be rather generic.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-09-28, 02:48 PM
Feral addresses the Whisperer and nods to the others as he approaches. He spends a few minutes speaking with him, then quickly makes his way back to the group.
Is there any news from the Enclave?
Is there anything that I can do to aid you?
Is there anything you wish for me to do as a part of the group traveling ahead?
How do I balance the death of the dragon and the eggs with our devotion to nature? (Assuming he too is a druid; if not, ask one of the others)
What can you tell me about the Zhentarim? Can they be trusted?

At the living quarters
Feral drops off his few belongings in his room before exiting the building again, taking a seat on the earth outside. Here, he communes with the world around him, meditating and clearing his mental state. While the others prepare for the battle, he instead prepares simply for the journey. As the evening rolls around, he ends his meditation and returns to his chambers to sleep, more or less ignoring the rest of the group.

Lank
2015-09-28, 06:26 PM
Ruman explores the Order's camp. He keeps an eye out for anyone who he has met before.

lordshadowisle
2015-09-29, 10:18 AM
Seranol provides some advice to Feral, "Balance and moderation is the key to all things. Do what you feel is best, but always keep an open view to things." After saying his cryptic words, the Whisperer departs for his quarters, leaving the two other Enclave members to talk to Feral.

The female elf introduces herself as Evandew, and also identifies herself as a fellow druid. She apologizes for Seranol's terse words; the Whisperer has lived a long life and acquired a broad perspective, and therefore does not like to hold any particular position on morality. Evandew then proceeds to explain the general decision of the Enclave, but also emphasizes that the decision is only a guideline, and is not binding. The Emerald Enclave feels that on a whole, Azurnolg's rampage upsets the true nature of things, and she should be stopped; however, destroying her and her line is only but one action to achieve that end.

The other Enclave member, a ranger, seems to disagree. In his view, there is only one true means of preventing this scenario from reoccurring in the future. The ranger also praises Feral's efforts in fighting the dragon, and expresses sympathy for Cardea's capture.

Despite the differences in views between the two Enclave members, they are in agreement over one thing, at least- the participation of the Zhentarim is not altruistic. If even the Zhentarim mages are here, then their motivations probably extend beyond wealth alone.

lordshadowisle
2015-09-29, 10:34 AM
Ruman tries to look for familiar faces among the Order's camp, but he does not manage to recognize anyone. This was not unexpected; El-lantel is a far way from Daggerford, after all. However, while Ruman does not recognize anyone, one of the paladins manages to identify a small crest on Ruman's armor. "Ah, the heraldry of Sir Burkham the One-Armed!", the paladin exclaims. Not aware that Ruman was the soldier saved by Sir Burkham, the paladin praises Sir Burkham for his great bravery.

Lank, same thing as CryWolfCorrupt. You can list a few specific questions and I'll answer them. If there's anything secret I'll pm you.

saithor
2015-09-29, 10:40 AM
Trelia will look for the Harper camp, and if she finds it, will try to find out what she can about the people she will have to be working with. The last thing she wanted was to be surprised by someone's hidden agenda that would ruin the mission.

Irish Musician
2015-09-29, 01:41 PM
Trena makes her way to her temporary quarters. When she arrives, she takes a moment to look it completely over, finding all the ins and outs of the room. As well as making sure to not all entrances and exits. Trena then sets her things next to her bed, very orderly and sword within range. She then lays down in her bed and opens her latest book, a history of the Zhentarim and its past leaders.

Lank
2015-09-29, 06:03 PM
Introduce myself.
When did you last see Sir Burkham?
What are your duties here?
Which god do you serve?

lordshadowisle
2015-09-30, 09:53 AM
Trelia attempts to ask for directions to the Harper camp. Trelia is shown to a room in one of the side buildings of El-lantel, but she is surprised to find only Olisara Lightsong there. Olisara explains that the Harpers are perhaps not the best suited for such large campaigns, and most of their agents are already deeply involved in other missions elsewhere.

Olisara does not seem surprised when Trelia inquires into the backgrounds of the newly assembled party. The Harpers have made some inquiries into the party members; at the very least, they seem competent with some interesting achievements.

Feral is a druid, and has a previous grudge against the dragon. He can most likely be trusted to help in the mission.
Jenna has previously aided in the capture of notorious criminals, venturing into the Undermountain to do so. Again, she seems trustworthy.
Ruman the aasimar paladin is a soldier through-and-through. If he is not being misled, he should be a good ally.
Trena is apparently skilled in ranged and magical combat. It is not entirely certain why she is participating, but the Zhentarim are rumored to have negotiated for a portion of the spoils from Azurnolg's lair.

Olisara also provides some advice on the first part of the mission. While there are several possible locations to land on the southern end of Bruenir's Isle, there are probably only two good choices. The first, and most direct, approach is to dock directly at Fisher's Moor. However, this obvious route of entry may be kept under guard, so stealth is critical. The second is to first land on Maurader's Rock further south of Bruenir's Isle, and to continue by rowing across the shallow waters and landing on the opposite beaches. However, this approach will be more costly in terms of time and energy. Maurader's Rock may be of interest to Trelia, however. Until fairly recently, it was the haunt of pirates and smugglers, though they have recently been wiped out by Azurnolg.

lordshadowisle
2015-09-30, 10:04 AM
The Zhentarim were originally an group of mages based around Zhentil Keep. With their magical powers and superior skills of organization, they were able to spread prosperity in the surrounding territories. However, other nations were jealous of the Zhentarim, and together, they forcibly dismantled the Zhentarim group. Eventually, however, the Zhentarim were able to revive in some form, but now they are mostly limited to doing mercenary work to restore themselves to their rightful glory.

lordshadowisle
2015-09-30, 10:23 AM
Ruman introduces himself to the paladin, who appears visibly surprised. "I did not realize you were the solder saved by Sir Burkham! My name is Lemas, and as you would know from this holy symbol-" Lemas displays a symbol of a pair of balanced scales resting on a warhammer, "-that I serve Tyr, the god of Justice. I once met Sir Burkham during one of the Order's meetings; it was not a long period of contact, but the story left quite an impression on me. It also helps that I have a bit of a talent for recalling details; it's certainly helpful in apprehending criminals of all sorts, which is my primary duty in the Order.

Of course, that talent's not so useful here- there's not much difficulty to recognizing a dragon. But who knows? Perhaps we'll chance upon some criminals that just so happened to seek refuge on Bruenir's Isle? There could be any number of hiding spots there."

lordshadowisle
2015-10-01, 09:43 PM
Eventually everyone in the party returns to the temporary quarters, where they take the opportunity to rest or prepare for their important mission. When night falls, they gather silently outside their quarters, and quickly make their way towards the dockside of El-lantel.

When the party arrives at he docks, they cannot help but notice the sizable fleet of vessels that have been moored there; these ships may have been used to transport troops and supplies to El-lantel in the preceding days. With so many ships, however, the question of which particular vessel would be ferrying the party immediately comes to mind. Ruman hurriedly checks the token handed to him by Lord Yil, which fortunately contains an identifying mark that allows the party to find the correct vessel.

A half-elf named Rhomsan Kal identifies himself as the ship's captain, and welcomes you onto his ship. The vessel, a two-masted square-rigger, appears to be a merchant vessel configured for speed. Indeed, the ship does not appear to be carrying many goods or supplies, and the waterline of the ship is clearly visible above the water. The ship itself is lightly manned, with only a few crew on board.

Rhomsan Kal signals for a deck hand to make preparations for departure, before bringing you to a cabin within the ship.

"I'll try to bring you to Bruenir's Isle, or at least, close enough for you to row the remaining distance. It is a moonless night, so we'll be hard for even a dragon to spot, but this also means it's harder for us to see any rocks or reefs. I'll sail close to coast on the other side of the bay, since the winds around the Bruenir's Isle are stormy and unreliable. All in all, the sea journey will take at least a few hours, but we'll get there.

Now, the question is where there is. I've only heard that I should shore you somewhere on the southern end of the island, but there're a few possibilities. I'll like to hear what you fellows have in mind."

Rhomsan Kal unfurls a map of the surrounding seas.

Area Map (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9PurWty4zBtMDhUbkExa0xrWDA/view?usp=sharing)

Anyr
2015-10-02, 12:12 PM
When Jenna emerged from her quarters, she looked a lot less conspicuous than before. She'd reluctantly exchanged her brightly coloured robes for a more subdued set of travelling clothes. To make up for this drab wardrobe, she made sure to give the others an especially bright smile when she met up with them. Sadly, there wasn't much opportunity for small talk after that. Aside from a brief greeting to Captain Kal, Jenna remained mostly silent. She'd leave the decision of landing location to her more knowledgeable comrades.

Irish Musician
2015-10-02, 01:02 PM
Trena met the others and followed them onto the boat. She, too, is dressed differently. He is cloaked in black, her hair is tied back into a bun, and the hood of the cloak is over her head. Even her armor is cover by cloth, as to not let it shine by any light in the night. Her bow is in her hand, and her rapier hand by her side. Trena follows the Captain into the cabin and is presented with the map. She gives it a look over and studies it for a moment. "It would seem that we would have a advantage if we were to sail into Fisher's Moor and come up from the south. Since there seems to be kobolds north of her lair, that would give us the best chance as not to run into too many of them at once." Trena then looks at the others for confirmation.

saithor
2015-10-02, 06:18 PM
Trelia shook her head slightly. "It's too obvious of a place. The dragon would be a fool to not put some guards there, at an easy landing so close to her lair." She maybe felt a little guilty about this suggestion, considering that it was going to be made partially out of her own personal decision, but it was also a viable alternative that had it's own meirts, so she put her finger on top of Maruder's Rock. "Here's a better choice. It will take longer to row across the shallows, and it might be a bit more excersise than some of you might want." She said, hoping that the challenge that came with those words might goad a couple of them into going. "But, our part of this plan depends on the dragon being completely unaware, and she would be much more unlikely to have put guards here than at Fisher's Moor." Trelia said.

Lank
2015-10-02, 06:57 PM
Ruman is not in his armor, he appears to be in aristocratic fine clothes, a far stretch from what he use to wear when he was a boy. He stands proudly and with good posture as he walks into the cabin. "We have to avoid the kobolds at all cost, sure we could slay them easily but if one gets away our whole plan is in jeopardy, the Fishers more is our best bet. But I do agree that we should stick to the shallows, if we get detected we would have to swim to shore." Ruman looks down at his clothes for a moment. "But I'd sooner eat my armor than let it sink to the bottom".

lordshadowisle
2015-10-03, 06:42 AM
Rhomsan Kal shakes his head. "Well, it seems we'll be headed for either Fisher's Moor or Maurader's Rock then. If we're not able to decide immediately, I can set us for a common course that'll bring us closer to Bruenir's Isle and ask again later."

Rhomsan then opens the door of the cabin, and shouts a few orders to his crew, instructing them to leave the dock.

"You fellows can remain in this cabin. I've no objections if you wish to wander around the ship, but if you're not used to ships then just try to stay out of the way. I've not brought many crew with me, and the winds around the island are erratic, so we've mostly got our hands full.

Shorthanded as I am, I can't guarantee we'll make good time, but getting there shouldn't be a problem, if we're not unlucky."

Irish Musician
2015-10-03, 08:40 AM
Trena thinks a moment, "I think the Rock is too far south. We don't want to spend anymore time in the water than we have to. A boat in the water, for a dragon, is an easy target. Even if she isn't spitting fire, her lightning could very well start a fire. And I do not know about you, but I am not getting burned alive on some boat." Trena pauses, "But sticking to the shallows, once we are south enough, isn't a bad plan. We can row from the boat to the coast just south and west of the Moor. If there are guards, hopefully we can take them out before they know what hit them. Better than having a whole kobold village to deal with. Like the big man here said, if even one were to get away, we'd be sunk."

lordshadowisle
2015-10-04, 08:03 AM
Rhomsan acknowledges Trena's comments. "In that case, I'll set the boat to Fisher's Moor first." He then makes his way up to the deck, leaving the party to their own devices.

The first hour of the journey is uneventful, but as time passes, it is clear even from within the cabin that the waters have become rougher. Aside from the sound of waves crashing upon the ship's hull and the sound of creaking wood, occasional instructions can also be heard being hollered across the ship. Fortunately, none of these instructions appear to be anything more than adjustments to the rigging or steering directions.

Several hours later, the weather appears to have worsened further, with clashing sounds of thunder in the distance. The captain reenters the cabin, his clothes now visibly soaked with seawater. He beckons for the party to follow him to the main deck. Once there, he holds a spyglass to his eye, and stares into the distance. "It's a bit hard to make out in this darkness, but that seems to be land; Bruenir's Isle, no doubt. Fortunately or unfortunately, I've also caught sight of a few signs of light, so it could well be the village at Fisher's Moor. From my reckoning, landfall shouldn't be more than three miles off."

The captain then passes the spyglass to anyone who wishes to take a look.

"I don't think we've been spotted so far, as we've not lit any lights on board. I can't risk going very much closer; there appears to be a storm in the distance, and the ship could well be spotted if we happen to be illuminated against any nearby lightning strikes. This is about as near I can get. It's not going to be easy rowing in this weather, but at least you won't be as easy to detect.

I'm ready to lower the rowboat if you wish to leave here, or I could sail a bit farther south if you want."

Lank
2015-10-04, 09:06 AM
"Ready the boat, I shall get into my armor before we leave. Those lights may be the enemy. Foul creatures and men alike flock to a dragon's side, be it out of fear or lust for power. Expect a fight but we should try avoid one if necessary".

Irish Musician
2015-10-05, 09:59 AM
Kennis does take the spyglass from the captain and looks through it to see what she can see on the shore.

Perception [roll0]

lordshadowisle
2015-10-05, 10:32 AM
Trena peers through the spyglass towards the shore. The storm in the area makes it difficult to see things very clearly, but there are unmistakable signs of light. The lights appear to be relatively steady and static, and it seems plausible that the light source is located within a building well-shielded from the elements.

Anyr
2015-10-05, 11:29 AM
Jenna spent most of the journey in meditation. The young Monk sat cross-legged on a simple prayer mat, and chanted strange phrases. She tried to ignore the way that her room (along with the whole ship) was being tossed around in the storm. Weather like this had always made her feel uncomfortable. Back when she was on the streets, such storms were a life threatening hazard; And now that she'd joined the Order, they were also a barrier between her and the sun.

When asked by the Captain to follow, she got up and did so. As before, Jenna played no part in the logistical discussion. She just hung back in whatever shelter she could find, while she waited for the others to decide.

saithor
2015-10-05, 05:27 PM
Seeing Trena strain to see the shore through her spyglass, and also the discomfort of Jenna, Trelia said "Wait." She instinctively reached around her with her magic. She could feel the furr of the storm, the gigantic juggernaut of rain and lightning and wind which would bear down and sink ships. It was a juggernaut that she could not hope to stop, but she could influence it, change it. She began to whistle, a low, calming tune from her youth, almost a lullaby, and her magic reacted, and began to influence the storm in the same way. around her the fall of rain slowed, and eventually stopped, the wind slowed to a slight breeze, and while she couldn't stop the crashing waves, she was able to lessen their impact some. Twenty paces away from her, rain continued to fall, and wind to blow. "Better?" she asked.

Anyr
2015-10-05, 05:55 PM
Jenna marvelled as the seemingly endless barrage of rain ceased its assault. Hesitantly, she stepped out from beneath the lintel where she'd been (unsuccessfully) hiding. Around Trelia was a blessed circle of calm, which Jenna was only too happy to share. She gave the Storm Sorceress a sincere smile of gratitude.

"Yes, much better. Thank you."

lordshadowisle
2015-10-05, 11:39 PM
The rainfall over Bruenir's Isle doesn't appear to have changed in the slightest, but Trelia's magic has at least improved conditions on board. Without the need to continuously wipe the spyglass' lenses and with the improved stability of the boat, Trena manages to observe a little bit better. She now clearly sees that all the lights come from a single building along the coast.

Lank
2015-10-06, 01:42 AM
Ruman heads to his cabin and begins to don his armor. It will take 10 minutes for him to finish.

lordshadowisle
2015-10-06, 02:26 AM
"I'll prepare the rowboat immediately. We'll set the boat loose once everyone's ready and there's a moment's calm in the seas."

Rhomsan instructs for the anchor to be dropped, so as to prevent the ship from drifting too far from its current position. While waiting for Sir Ruman to don his armor, Rhomsan passes out large oiled cloaks to each of the party members. "Wear this; it should help keep some of the rain and seawater out." In addition, he also hands over a compass attached to a waxed cord. "Someone should use this, in case you've drifted off course. The island should be due east, and you should hit land if you row that way."

Eventually Sir Ruman manages to fully get into his armor amid the rolling and rocking of the ship. With all the party members assembled and ready, Rhomsan leads them to the portside of the ship where the rowboat is tethered. The rowboat is of generous size, allowing two rows of two people abreast with an additional person in front, as well as some space for equipment.

Please decide who will be seated where. There'll be one person at the bow of the boat, two in the middle, and two at the rear.

Also, if there are any preparations you would like to do before/while you're on board, do state so. Once the boat is set free you may not have a chance to make any changes!

Irish Musician
2015-10-06, 08:25 AM
Trena nods in thanks to Trelia's magics clearing a path for them. She once again looks in the spyglass and sees that the lights are coming from a building. "It seems the light are concentrated in a building of sorts. That means we might have a chance to get around them in the storm. I would assume they are hiding from the weather a well." She hands the spyglass back tot he Captain with her thanks, as well as thanks for the oiled cloak. She throws it over her other cloak. Though the compass she doesn't take, "I'd rather have both my hands free in case I need them."

Once the row boat is ready Trena gets in the back of the boat, and readies her bow...knocking and arrow and calling upon her magics in case she needs them.

Anyr
2015-10-06, 12:39 PM
Jenna wasted no time in wrapping the cloak around herself. Any shield against this horrible weather was welcome. After one last check of her supplies, she clambered into the middle of the boat. If she was lucky, maybe that nice Sorceress would sit beside her. Lifelong landlubbers like Jenna didn't get a chance to befriend such people very often.

saithor
2015-10-06, 01:49 PM
Trellis clambered in next to Jenna and clgrabbed an oar. "I'm going to have to let the storm resume when we get close. Whoever's up there is going to notice if it suddenly stops raining. So the last few yards might be choppy. Sorry." She said, then got ready to start rowing once the entire group was inside the little boat. Even though she had some control over the storm, even she was nervous about going out into the storm in such a small boat.

Anyr
2015-10-06, 03:00 PM
"No need to apologise. If it weren't for you, we'd be suffering that rain for the whole journey."

Jenna was still smiling. A lot of her earlier tension had vanished now. Thanks to the kindness of others, the storm didn't seem so intimidating any more. She picked up an oar of her own, and waited.

lordshadowisle
2015-10-07, 09:29 AM
Ruman gets seated near the bow of the boat, while Feral jumps into the remaining space at the stern. After checking that the party is ready, Rhomsan hollers for the rowboat to be lowered into the waters below. Thanks to the efforts of Trelia's magic, the seas are relatively calm, and the boat hits the water with only a minor splash.

Shouting over the rumbling of the waves, the captain manages to convey one last message- "Good luck!"- before cutting the ropes tethering the rowboat to the ship.

For a few moments, the boat flounders in the water as the party struggles to right their heading. With difficulty, they manage to coordinate their rowing strokes to finally head towards Bruenir's Isle.

With about an hour's rowing left to go, this part of the journey is certainly more daunting than the last.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-10-07, 11:23 AM
Feral had slept through most everything on the ship. His time in the wilds had left him accustomed to the storms that met him there. The rocking of the waves felt almost melodic to him, and as the boat crashed into and against the waves, Feral slept. However, the sudden change in atmosphere when the Sorceress changed their weather did wake him, catching him off guard. As he started awake, he grabbed his cloak and his staff, and clustered his belongings about him. Climbing the stairs to the deck, he noticed that their group had almost arrived at their destination. He heard the captain speaking up, and when the compass was offered, Feral volunteered to hold it. He blinked to clear his eyes as he wiped the mist from his face. "As we get closer, I can give us cover in a fog cloud. Anyone watching wouldn't care of a fog rolling in from the sea." He takes the last open seat in the rowboat.

Anyr
2015-10-07, 03:00 PM
It took Jenna a while to get the hang of rowing. This wasn't exactly the best venue for her first lesson. She spent most of the time looking across at Trelia, and copying her movements. She also tried to counter the dismal atmosphere with a little friendly conversation. An hour was a long time to row in silence.

"So, have you spent a lot of time at sea? Is it true that Sisters of the Storm feel more comfortable on water than on land?"

Irish Musician
2015-10-07, 04:21 PM
Trena sits in silence, bow at the red and eyes fixed on the shore, making sure to hopefully see anything before it sees them.

Lank
2015-10-08, 01:33 AM
Ruman stands at the ready with his flail and shield drawn. He does not speak, it seems as though he has effectively "zoned out" of everyone around him and that he is completely focus on the beach, scanning it with his eyes and searching for any movement not caused from the environment.

[roll0]

saithor
2015-10-08, 10:42 AM
Trelia noddded. "Yep. The storms may try to kill us as much as they do any other person, but we still have a connection to them, something that makes us desire to be near them. Their much like a third parent in that regards. To us , the spray of the sea and the great roiling ocan are some of the most beatiful things in the world."

lordshadowisle
2015-10-08, 10:47 AM
As the boat approaches the shore, the storm becomes visibly heavier. This is not without its advantages, however; not only are most sounds overwhelmed by the roar of rain and thunder, the occasional bolts of lightning also help by illuminating the landscape about the shoreline. Ruman, readied at the bow watching for activity, tries to take in whatever details that are momentarily visible. He does not see very much, but it is better than what the other party members could have done in the same situation- most of them lack the visual acuity to see properly in the night.

While Ruman was expecting the shores to be a sparse beach, what he sees is actually a cluster of buildings along the shoreline. To call it impressive would be an overstatement, though, as most of those buildings are little more than simple village homes or huts typical of a fishing village. The largest structure of the lot is the lit building Trena identified earlier, which now appears to be a two-storied warehouse. Only the lower floor is lit, but Ruman is unable to make out any signs of movement from within the building, or anywhere else.

Immediately outside the warehouse is a long pier with several mooring posts. Several fishing boats are tied to the posts, bobbing along with the waves. A second pier runs parallel to it on the far right, but no boats appear to be moored there.

Anyr
2015-10-09, 10:19 AM
As the storm worsened, Jenna lapsed into silence. She definitely wasn't looking forward to this next bit. She squinted ahead, but to no avail. Her human eyes couldn't see anything in this gloom. She'd just have to wait for Ruman to lead the way.

lordshadowisle
2015-10-10, 12:25 AM
The group rows closer to the shore, but it does not appear that they have been spotted- yet. From their position, they are able to identify a few usable sites for landing, though how good each site is can probably only determined at a much closer range.

The most obvious site is the pier near the village, as well as its sister pier a bit further away. Docking and disembarking at these locations would be a simple affair, though it carries other risks as well.

Avoiding these populated areas would mean landing a few hundred yards further north. However, the terrain appears more rocky than sandy, and landing might not be as straightforward.

I'll need a landing site. As usual, feel free to make any checks if you wish.

Lank
2015-10-10, 12:57 AM
"We should head for the rocks, I know I am about as stealthy as a brick so the further away we are the better".

lordshadowisle
2015-10-11, 07:22 AM
As surreptitiously as possible, the party rows the boat towards the area north of the village. After traveling for a few hundred yards, past a bend in the coastline, they realize that much of the shore terrain ahead consists of rugged, rocky cliffs overlooking the sea, which would be difficult if not impossible to scale without assistance.

Their current position, however, might be acceptable as a landing spot. The shore is lined with countless jagged rocks, but these are small in size and injury can be avoided with proper footing. Also, while the village is still close, the shore is at least shielded from direct view by some vegetation. In the worst case, there is also a large rock alcove nearby, which can be used as a temporary hiding spot.

You can disembark here, and take any actions. Do let me know the general plan of action.

CryWolfCorrupt
2015-10-12, 09:25 AM
Feral watches and waits as the rest of the party dismounts from the boat, shakily along the pier. "I think it would be best for us to make for the rocks. Make a plan where we can hear."

Irish Musician
2015-10-12, 02:44 PM
Trena nods to Feral, "Agreed. The rocks should at least give us some sort of cover as well. I'd love to get a look at the "town" over there, just so we know what we have behind us."

What do we know about Fisher's Moor? Are the residents loyal to the dragon? Or are they a village that is just allowed to be there since they pose no threat or something to that effect?

lordshadowisle
2015-10-12, 08:26 PM
From what you have been briefed (offscreen), contact with the village has been broken since Azurnolg arrived in Bruenir's isle. Some passing ships have spotted fishing boats obviously manned by human crew, but the fishing vessels have shied away from further contact, though they do not appear to be hostile.

lordshadowisle
2015-10-13, 11:05 AM
Carefully crossing over the jagged rocks covering much of the shoreline, the party sneaks under the face of a gigantic boulder fragment nearby. From this position, they are able to survey the surrounding areas, or at least as far as they can make out in the rain.

Much of the terrain inlands is thick forest, and in the darkness it is not possible to see past the first few rows of trees. In the distance, above the treeline and towards the northern direction, is the foggy outline of a hill.

Looking around the immediate surroundings, there is a single clearing through the thick forest. Lying north to the party's current position, this appears to be a bare dirt path large enough for carts or small wagons to pass through; however, at the moment the road is quite waterlogged and muddy.

A few hundred yards to the south lies the village at Fisher's Moor. Compared to the view from the coast, more buildings in the village, mostly small houses, are visible. A few of these houses appear to be destroyed, with the rubble still left in place.

Lank
2015-10-16, 01:41 AM
Ruman steps off the boat. "Anyone want to volunteer to scout, what about you Feral? If you ca find out if anything is lurking out there and report back we will all benefit".

lordshadowisle
2015-10-18, 12:00 PM
Trena waits someone to suggest anything, but nobody appears ready to act.

I can't see much in this darkness. It might be a risk, but it'll be difficult for anyone to spot us as well.

Anyr
2015-10-19, 10:32 AM
Jenna wasted no time in disembarking. Her first real taste of the sea hadn't exactly been pleasant. She breathed a sigh of relief when she felt solid ground beneath her feet: Sharp and jagged ground, admittedly, but solid nonetheless. Stepping carefully between the treacherous stones, she followed her comrades along the beach. Once they reached shelter, Jenna set about warming and drying herself, while she waited for the others to come up with a plan. As it turned out, the wait ended up being a lot longer than expected. Apparently nobody was feeling particularly bold tonight. There was just a little light discussion on scouting.

"My eyes aren't suited to the gloom either. Still, if we're all equally poor-sighted, then I volunteer to be the scout."

Jenna made sure to not glance at Trelia as she said this. She was fairly sure that the Sorceress had Elven blood in her; But she didn't want to stereotype. Not everyone with pointed ears could see in the dark.

Irish Musician
2015-10-20, 11:31 AM
Trena nods to Jenna. "I will go with you to watch your back. Plus another pair of eyes is never a bad thing."

saithor
2015-10-20, 06:31 PM
"Darkness doesn't matter so much to me. I'll let you know if there's anything sneaking up on us. Just know that just because I can see in the dark doesn't mean I'm going to be able to see eveything there is to see. Especially with terrain as jaged as this cursed place. I'll go. Wouldn't mind having a person along to keep monsters off my back though." said Trelia.

lordshadowisle
2015-10-21, 10:28 AM
Jenna steps forward to scout the immediate area, even though she herself is not too acclimatized to seeing in the dark. With no such handicap, Trelia follows her lead. Trena follows the two for a short distance before stopping at a spot with good cover; she then positions herself to watch for any approaching enemies.

Jenna and Trelia approach the main path which runs north through the forest and south to the village. As the terrain changes from sand and rock to grass and mud, the two scouts take care not to leave any obvious tracks; with the heavy rain, much of the dirt path has turned to a sloppy mud road that is certain to leave signs of foot passage even hours later.

There are no signs of enemies in either direction of the road. However, Jenna manages to spot a small parting in the forest follage, no more than a person's width across. The parting seems to lead much further into the pitch-dark forest; even Trelia is unable to see where the parting ends. From memory, there is no particular place of interest in the direction of the parting (East), or at least, no place of interest marked on the map.

Trelia and Jenna can safely make their way back to the party without any interruptions, unless they have any particular instructions or checks to make.

Anyr
2015-10-24, 07:20 AM
Jenna's nimble feet made good time across the terrain; And her eyes proved surprisingly able to pierce the evening gloom. She quietly conferred with Trelia along the way, so that they could draw each other's attention to sights that each may have missed. As usual, though, Jenna didn't consider herself an equal partner in the venture. She was merely an assistant, here to provide useful information. Trelia would be the one who decided how to act on it.

saithor
2015-10-25, 11:06 AM
Trelia kept a careful eye ut, but the only thing she seemed to spot was the small opening in the trees. "Do you think that could be a problem for us? It seems like it could be the perfect pathway for setting up an ambush, or it oculd even be a shortcut." She took another quick look around. "I don't see anythign here, let's go back and tellt he rest."

Anyr
2015-10-26, 08:46 AM
"I don't think it makes any difference. If anyone is planning to ambush us, then we're already in serious trouble; No matter where they attack from. Surprise is an advantage that we can't afford to lose yet."

Jenna obediently followed Trelia back to camp. She'd clearly become quite attached to the Sorceress in the short time they'd known one another.

lordshadowisle
2015-10-30, 07:56 PM
Not much time (30 minutes at most) has passed since the scouting team's departure and return. While the rainfall is still heavy, there are signs that it is letting up; perhaps it is because dawn is approaching.

Guys, just give me anything, any instruction.

saithor
2015-10-30, 08:02 PM
Trelia waved greeting at the main group as she returned. "Good news is that there's nothing out there but a little foot trail and waving grass. Besdies that, area seems clear enough as far as I can tell," The elf said.

Lank
2015-10-30, 10:09 PM
"Good work, we shall head closer in now. Perhaps when we reach the trail I might have a moment to summon my steed. Though I don't think we are in any immediate danger we should be prepared for the worst".

When the others are ready to head closer in Ruman will take point. He doesn't have his weapon drawn but his hand is resting firmly on its hilt.

saithor
2015-11-02, 08:54 PM
Trelia trails behind, in the middle of the group, where it will be hard to attack from any of the points that it normally would be easy to.

lordshadowisle
2015-11-08, 08:15 AM
Based on the reports from the earlier scouting, the party decides to approach the trail before making a final decision on which direction to head towards. Once at the main path, the lack of any prints in the mud road confirm that nobody has used this road in the past few hours.

Of course, this also poses a problem: if the main road is used to head north or south (Fisher's Moor), then you will certainly leave tracks along the way.

Lank
2015-11-12, 01:01 AM
"We seem to be alone here, perhaps it would not hurt to investigate the village some more? I dislike the idea of being sidetracked but if we are able to find any useful information it may prove to be worthwhile".

Anyr
2015-11-12, 03:04 AM
"How would that help us complete our mission? The Dragon's lair we seek certainly isn't in that village."

Jenna was still very much concerned with stealth. If possible, she wanted the group to reach their destination without catching the attention of a single soul.

Lank
2015-11-12, 04:57 AM
"As I pointed out, perhaps the villagers may know something we do not. We could be blindly walking into an ambush which they detected days ago. The people aren't stupid, they will share whatever knowledge they have of the surrounding area which may prove beneficial in the long run. It would not take long, all it would take is to find the village elder or militia leader".

Irish Musician
2015-11-12, 12:26 PM
Trena nods, "The paladin may not be wrong. Going into the village and finding anything we can out about what is going on farther north may help us in the long run. The lair isn't here, but what if we don't go into the village and the information we should have gathered here we then don't have.....and then we don't make it to the lair. The whole plan will be for naught." Trena spoke her words to the group, but her eyes were ever scanning around them, just in case.

Anyr
2015-11-17, 08:25 AM
{OOC: Okay, that's more than enough of a chance for anyone else to chime in. From now on I'm just going to assume that we're the only players left.}

"...Fair enough. Well then, let's gather some information."

Jenna reluctantly deferred to the majority. She didn't want to risk disrupting group harmony by starting an argument. When in doubt, she tended to err on the side of cooperation.