PDA

View Full Version : How to draw: _______

Tyke
2007-05-15, 09:12 PM
Hey rich, i know this is probably not the right place to ask, but i'd like to know something

when you draw OoTS, how do you get the nice borders around the edges of your shapes? I'm doing a project that requires a comic and i'm trying to base it off of your style. So far, i've been doing the borders like this:

1. Draw the shape in black
2. Copy paste the shape
3. colour the shape
4. shrink the shape
5. move it back over the original black

if there is an easier way to do this, can you please let me know? :smalleek:

i'm using GIMP

thx :smallredface:

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-15, 09:18 PM
This should probably be in 'arts and crafts'. Just a note.

wgabrie
2007-05-15, 10:10 PM
The Order of the Stick Comic looks like it was drawn with a "Vector Graphics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics)" program then exported as an image.

Vector software, like Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org), can be used in this way to draw and resize the borders of shapes.

teratorn
2007-05-15, 10:26 PM
As someone else said this should be in arts and crafts, and no doubt one of our friendly mods will likely send it there.

OOTS is drawn with vector graphics software. If you'd rather use bitmaps like the GIMP does, the best way is:

0) don't use Rich's characters :smallamused:
1) draw with black lines thick enough for your final size. But make images atleast 3 to 4 times bigger than final size in this step. Don't forget to save this step.
2) bucket fill inside the closed contours. Again save step.
3) put everything you need in the canvas
4) add text
5) shrink to final size (this does some nice antialiasing).
6) Do some color reduction to 64,128, or even 256 colors and save in png format

Hope this helps.

Tyke
2007-05-16, 03:23 PM
heh... thx for the tips :D and yeah, i suppose it should have been in arts and crafts

btw... not using rich's characters... just the general style of it ( i really like it :smallsmile: )

Captain van der Decken
2007-05-16, 03:32 PM
You can draw Rich's characters, you just can't take his art. For example, you can draw Roy, but you can't cut out an image of Roy from the comic.

There are several guides on Rich's art style over in Arts & Crafts, if that helps.