PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Suggestions for building an electricity vampire

Jendekit
2015-09-21, 04:48 PM
Basically I'm looking to build a vampire-type creature that feeds on bioelectricity instead of blood. While I could refluff the Drain Blood ability, I don't know enough about biology to know if that would accurately reflect the effects of basically being turned into a battery being sucked dry of power?

Should it do hp damage, ability damage, ability drain, what?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SkipSandwich
2015-09-21, 05:01 PM
I would say Dexterity damage would be most appropriate, since being drained of your bio-energy seems like it should be disruptive of your nervous system and reflexes. Instead of a level draining slam, it could inflict partial paralysis/numbness (treat as entangled) with it's natural attack?

Eldan
2015-09-21, 05:05 PM
I'd actually say strength, rather. When I think dex damage, I think either palsy or tremors, but bioelectricity sounds to me more like it would make one weak. Then, intelligence when the victim is paralyzed, to death.

Aergoth
2015-09-21, 05:43 PM
My suggestions are as follows:

Given how Flesh Golems work have it drain initiative and inflict a slow effect. After it's drained so much, give it an effect like haste, and have it play a little like a quickling, zipping around with spring attacks and the like.

If your vampire has gaseous form, add an effect something like shock shield to it, where creatures passing through the cloud take an amount of electricity damage.

And tie some of the nicer abilities (domination for example) to its feeding, so it needs a full charge and then spends that charge to use them. This will give your creature a reason to keep engaging with the adventurers, or a reason to run away.

For a harder encounter, have the party fight it as it's just finished feeding and is at full strength. For an easier encounter, make it have to feed on the party and have them forewarned.