PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me with this character concept

Vulkan
2015-09-21, 09:32 PM
A character with aspirations of becoming a conqueror or having his own kingdom and using the pathfinder organization as a way to get it, using subterfuge, since the Society does not really support those kinds of aspirations

So he'll be building a Leasership character and gathering cohorts. In time if all things go right he should basically have his own task force. (Bear in mind all your cohorts/followers are always weaker than the character.)

So, he's scouting for those with talent and also a little naive.
Looking for those he could deem worthy enough to trust for an inner circle.
Finally he's saving funds for mercenaries.

What's a good class for this?

If you want to go nuts with suggestions I can use anything but unchained and the summoner classes
I also have 36 point buy
Level 7
And using http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/automatic-bonus-progression

More importantly is this NE?

TimeWizard
2015-09-21, 10:40 PM
By "NE" do you mean Neutral Evil? The typical depiction of the Conqueror Archetype is Lawful Evil, imposing his (and it's almost always a "him") terrible will over neighboring lands. Since your goal is to rule and be King/Caesar/Tyrant you will typically be Lawful, otherwise why would you want to rule? You can go other ways with that, especially if you take the Nobunaga approach: The ceaseless civil wars are destroying the land, I will unify the warring provinces into a strong whole. Strong case there for Lawful Neutral, imposing order on chaos. You could even try the King Arthur angle and Inspire neighboring lands with your Divine Righteousness, crusade for Peace! (note: about a 75% chance you end up being the bad guy, but it's doable in certain games).

You notice a trend here? Nobunaga, Arthur, Julius Caesar? These guys are all warriors. Fighter, Cavalier, Samurai, etc. You could also play Warpriest or Cleric and try for the "Divine Crusade" type take over, which can be Good or Evil as you choose.

Now, there are two and a half flavors of Chaotic Conquering. Let's get the half out of the way: the Deadly Court Intrigue Rogue builds. Doesn't sound like what you're going for, but cloak and dagger is the Rogue/Assassin/Ninja thing. Chaos option one: Demon or Horde from the East. These are your Huns, Mongols, Darkspawn, Uruk Hai, etc. They actually have a culture and an order of their own, but they are clearly inferior because they don't uphold Traditional Western Fantasy Values and so therefor must be de facto barbarian savages. Fun fact, the word "Horde" actually comes from the Mongol word for something like "regiment" or "battalion". As I noted, demons gates and orcs can do this job too.

Next is the Evil Wizard Overlord, who wants to take over because the apparently evil magic demands a steady tax influx or something. These guys never get a good explanation, it's just assumed that Magic Is Bad and so you brave sword wielding god-fearing heroes will smite them. I think this is a Ring of the Nibelungs thing. You never hear about the brave magician who stands up to the evil soldier king.
So here you can take wizard, warlock, or sorcerer. Sounds like you are a little small scale for this right now, but give it time.

Anyone with a high Charisma can pull these off, by the way. Bard, War Claric, Paladin, etc. Try making an Inquisitor bent on purging the corruption of the decadent noble houses, heresy optional.

Is this the actual focus of the campaign or your personal sideshow? Because that changes how you commit to it. For followers I recommend a Spy, an Assassin, a Clergy, a Sergeant, and maybe an Occultist. Go to work!

Vulkan
2015-09-21, 11:38 PM
I feel really proud of myself for knowing the historical references the moment the names are dropped.

It's umm a round robin that's also a planes hopper :smallfrown: Next stop is we hopefully end back up in Golaria in blood cove

The suggestions I got from /tg/ of 4chan were

Thrallherd. And it depends on your character.

Bard is good for any kind of manipulation. Take perform (Oratory) and give inspiring speeches rather than music.

I think it'd be more LE than NE, but what do I know?

bard into noble scion PrC, make your cohort a noble scion, and their cohort a noble scion, and so on.

DMVerdandi
2015-09-22, 12:13 AM
Personally, I say use the tactician from ultimate psionics.
It is perfect for actual tactics on the battlefield.
9th level spells, medium bab, decent health, and powers that are geared towards being the squad leader.

Pick up leadership feats to go with it,and viola, you have it.
Very few classes are actually there for the sole reason of taking up the "leader" role (like 4e had), but the tactician does a good job of it.

Souju
2015-09-22, 04:38 AM
Oracle and Bard would be good choices. Both have CHA as their primary stat, which is going to be needed for getting a good Leadership as well. You can also integrate the "naivete" into your stat block by having less wisdom.
Moreover, there's the Oracle Lore mystery which has a revelation that would allow you to sub your CHA score for your DEX for Reflex and AC, and a separate one that does the same for knowledge checks, allowing you to narrow your stat dependencies even further.
Though if you want to be more offensive than defensive, you can go the way of the Battle or Metal Mysteries. Being a full spontaneous caster able to wear full plate, wield all martial weapons, and charge as an immediate action is a pretty attractive prospect. Too bad you can't combine Mysteries, but I think you can see how that would be overpowered lol

Vulkan
2015-09-22, 03:23 PM
Well multi classing does take a chunk out of my BAB and prevents me from ever going to delicious level 20 ultimate ability, however...

Have any of us REALLY been in a campaign that's gone all the way to 20?

So, for race I'm thinking either Half Gian or Maenad

what do you think?

DMVerdandi
2015-09-22, 11:19 PM
Well multi classing does take a chunk out of my BAB and prevents me from ever going to delicious level 20 ultimate ability, however...

Have any of us REALLY been in a campaign that's gone all the way to 20?

So, for race I'm thinking either Half Gian or Maenad

what do you think?

Half-giant will definitely be the big man type of character (which is cool for a commander)
But Maenad has that delicious greek flavor, and +2 to any stat (AKA your casting stat)

Hmm.
Maenad is probably MECHANICALLY better, but I hate their sparkles.

There is always the option to choose a non-psionic race too.

Vulkan
2015-09-24, 11:19 AM
Hate their sparkles?

Are you talking about that mini rage?