PDA

View Full Version : What Humanoid Subtypes Are There?

Zaydos
2015-09-21, 11:04 PM
The question is in the thread's title. What Humanoid subtypes are there in 3.5?

I know Favored Enemy lists: Aquatic, Dwarf, Elf, Goblinoid, Gnoll, Gnome, Halfling, Human, Orc, Reptilian. I think this covers core because the Githyanki/Githzerai have no subtype other than extraplanar meaning that you can't select them as a favored enemy.

EPH adds Maenad and Xeph.

I guess you could argue for including Psionic and Incarnum, but those are applied across the board and not uniquely humanoid, and except for the Gith are never a humanoid's only subtype (unlike Aquatic) to my knowledge.

Oriental Adventures gives Spirit (arguably), Nezumi, something which only has Shapechanger subtype as of the 3.5 update, and Vanara which doesn't actually say.

Dragonblood as of RoD

And Eberron introduces some more shapechangers with nothing else.

Any other Humanoid subtypes I'm missing?

Crake
2015-09-22, 01:40 AM
Like you said about the psionic subtype not being humanoid exclusive, the same can be said for the dragonblood and shapechanger subtypes, as those are most certainly applied to various non-humanoids.

AtlasSniperman
2015-09-22, 03:34 AM
Kenku, Shapechanger, Feline, Asherati, Darfellan, Dragonblood, Kender, Raptoran and Hadozee come to mind.

Necroticplague
2015-09-22, 06:43 AM
Shapechanger isn't humanoid exclusive, like Psionic (see also: Protean. Aberration(Shapechanger)). Likewise with Aquatic (see also:Octopus: Animal (aquatic) and Dragonblooded (See also: Dragonborn of any non-humanoid race).

Zaydos
2015-09-22, 11:48 AM
Like you said about the psionic subtype not being humanoid exclusive, the same can be said for the dragonblood and shapechanger subtypes, as those are most certainly applied to various non-humanoids.

Yeah I eventually just started noting any that they were the only subtype listed for them.

Kenku, Shapechanger, Feline, Asherati, Darfellan, Dragonblood, Kender, Raptoran and Hadozee come to mind.

MMIII, varied, ???, Storm, Storm, RoD, Dragonlance, RoW, and Storm? What has the Feline subtype?

Shapechanger isn't humanoid exclusive, like Psionic (see also: Protean. Aberration(Shapechanger)). Likewise with Aquatic (see also:Octopus: Animal (aquatic) and Dragonblooded (See also: Dragonborn of any non-humanoid race).

In theory any humanoid is supposed to have a subtype. Aquatic is treated as one of these, as is shapechange, and dragonblood. Psionic is only used in isolation with the two that for some odd reason didn't actually have one (probably because someone forgot how the Extraplanar subtype works).

SangoProduction
2015-09-22, 11:50 AM
Catfolk have the feline subtype, I assume.

Zaydos
2015-09-22, 11:56 AM
Catfolk have the feline subtype, I assume.

Nope, I went back and checked them, they have the Catfolk subtype.

Deadline
2015-09-22, 12:37 PM
There's the Illumian subtype from Races of Destiny.

ComaVision
2015-09-22, 12:41 PM
Living Construct and Shadow (via template). Shadow is definitely not Humanoid exclusive, not sure about Living Construct.

Deadline
2015-09-22, 12:42 PM
Living Construct and Shadow (via template). Shadow is definitely not Humanoid exclusive, not sure about Living Construct.

Living Construct is a subtype for Constructs.

ComaVision
2015-09-22, 12:49 PM
Living Construct is a subtype for Constructs.

I always thought they were Humanoid for some reason, my bad.

torrasque666
2015-09-22, 12:54 PM
I always thought they were Humanoid for some reason, my bad.

Not your fault. Everyone forgets that Warforged are Constructs. I think it's the shape.

WhamBamSam
2015-09-22, 12:58 PM
Shapechanger isn't humanoid exclusive, like Psionic (see also: Protean. Aberration(Shapechanger)). Likewise with Aquatic (see also:Octopus: Animal (aquatic) and Dragonblooded (See also: Dragonborn of any non-humanoid race).No subtype is truly humanoid specific, since you can port any of them over to another creature type by applying a template to the humanoid in question.

Living Construct is a subtype for Constructs.Incarnate Construct makes medium or smaller constructs, like Warforged and Warforged Scouts, into humanoids, while leaving the Living Construct subtype.