PDA

View Full Version : Spellsword Channel Spell shenanigans

Heliomance
2015-09-22, 05:59 AM
So I just read the Spellsword's version of the Channel Spell ability. It's hilariously poorly worded. You can channel any spell you can cast into your melee weapon, and it affects the next target you successfully attack. There are no other restrictions. Personal range buffs? A-OK. Using Target: One living creature spells on objects? Go for it! Using Target: Object Touched spells on creatures? Absolutely fine!

There has to be some way we can abuse this hilariously. What do you all think are the best spells to be able to completely ignore targetting restrictions on?

EDIT: Oh, wow. It overrides casting time as well. That is so broken.

EDIT EDIT: ...you don't actually cast the spell. You channel it, and use up the prepared spell or spell slot as if you had cast it. I'm pretty sure that means it bypasses components as well. What even is this.

Fouredged Sword
2015-09-22, 08:58 AM
So I just read the Spellsword's version of the Channel Spell ability. It's hilariously poorly worded. You can channel any spell you can cast into your melee weapon, and it affects the next target you successfully attack. There are no other restrictions. Personal range buffs? A-OK. Using Target: One living creature spells on objects? Go for it! Using Target: Object Touched spells on creatures? Absolutely fine!

There has to be some way we can abuse this hilariously. What do you all think are the best spells to be able to completely ignore targetting restrictions on?

EDIT: Oh, wow. It overrides casting time as well. That is so broken.

EDIT EDIT: ...you don't actually cast the spell. You channel it, and use up the prepared spell or spell slot as if you had cast it. I'm pretty sure that means it bypasses components as well. What even is this.

Transcend Mortality, choose your CL to be 1. One hit kill anything, no save.

Rebel7284
2015-09-22, 09:14 AM
Antimagic Field can be good too.

Darrin
2015-09-22, 09:15 AM
...you did look at Iron Chef LVIII (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17754289&postcount=339), yes? Let me see if I can list all of the shenanigans...

Aurelius Deadfeather: channel plane shift

Mekhil Krivim tibur Ptahzur: channel spell vulnerability + delusions of grandeur

Halfdan the Black: channel dweomer of transference (immunity to magic), blasphemy, shivering touch, enervation, holy word, geas, Otto's irresistible dance

Anti the Kinslayer: channel sleet storm, vortex of teeth, anti-magic field

Subjugator Sarlagiin: channel baleful blink + color spray

Lawrence "Curly" Andmo: channel alter self other, glitterdust, stinking cloud, touch of idiocy + feeblemind

Balthos of Myr: channel Evard's black tentacles

Anh the Houseless: channel Two With One Blow bestow curse, poison, slow, enervation

Starshatter: channel dispel magic, mark of justice, banishment

Balthazar Naught: channel tenser's transformation (vs. spellcasters)

Onnedad Kairdwen: channel aspect of the wolf, aquatic escape, tree shape, lesser spider form, fiendform (fiendish octopus), transcend mortality + death throes (or + dispelling touch/lesser celerity)

Naphesche Zarna: channel ray of enfeeblement, sequester

Amueli R'thaceu: channel through Elvencraft longbow and Imbue Arrow waves of exhaustion, baleful polymorph, poison, vampiric touch, harm + ice storm, desecrate + slay living + create undead

Novem: channel planar binding, firestorm

Giorre: channel Area Attack Fell Drain Black Moil enervation

Baroknik
2015-09-22, 10:16 AM
I have always thought it would be funny to channel reverse gravity or wall of fire onto an opponent. Area effect spells often have strange interactions with channel. Another example is Prismatic Sphere.

I've also considered using Spellswords to make pseudo-magical objects. Consider if they channeled reverse gravity as they hit a rock that they bullrushed into a large vat of quintessence. Did they just create the anti-ballast for a skyship?