PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Treatise : The Gospel of Everything Goes

chaos_redefined
2015-09-22, 08:15 AM
This is a series of quotes from JanusJones to people on the WotC forums.
Copied from here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1153831)
Some formatting was lost, because... way too much.

I feel the game is unbalanced, and as the sort who just has to mess with the game rules, I've come to you for information.

I would like to change the rules for the Druid, Cleric, and Wizard(and maybe the Psion if you guys think its necessary) to make it more difficult/impossible for them to fulfill the front line fighter role better than physical classes.

What I ask for is an example of an optimized build for melee for Druid, Cleric and Wizard(Psion if necessary) so I can see what I need to attack.

The one thing I do ask is to explain the method/tricks, and to explain how the build works at lower levels(3-15), since that is where the majority of my game will take place.

Perhaps - and I'm just putting this out there - what's needed is not a nerf, but rather an improvement in the OTHER classes. Consider: casters currently (and I do mean ALL casters, not just CODzilla) are, at all but the lowest levels, FAR more effective than other builds. Melee fighters can't come close to keeping up damage-wise.

But does this mean that casters are broken?

I fought with this question for a loong while, and my end conclusion (after much discussion with optimization-savvy friends and MORE than a little playtesting) was, simply put: no.

The problem isn't overpowered casters - they're actually just where they should be. They're able to handle - with the help of a party - encounters that are appropriate for their level. I think most of the problem arises from DMs who play monsters primarily as combat statistics, without looking at spell-like and supernatural abilities. Most of the worst things enemies can do to you have NOTHING to do with damage.

Consider, for instance, a Balor. Most DMs see the big Strength and the flaming whip, think "It worked in LotR, baby!", and start rolling to hit. Most DMs ignore things like Blasphemy, which can pretty much dismantle a good party in a single round. That's not even TOUCHING Power Word: Stun, Insanity, or Dominate Monster. Used correctly, those abilities will prove a serious problem for casters - for melee types, they spell certain doom.

A well-played monster will eat ANY melee type alive. That goes even for the spellcasters, in fact - at higher levels they stop polymorphing and slugging away and start getting smart - casting spells that force enemy saves and impose serious limitations on the enemy, dispel effects, limit mobility, entangle, nauseate, charm, and otherwise do all they can to hobble their foes.

The problem isn't that casters are OVERPOWERED, it's that fighter-types are pathetically underpowered.

Is it possible to make effective fighters (note I'm using this term in the general sense, not in the class-specific one) using the current rules? Yes, but it takes a LOT of effort and the result is, at best, two-dimensional. What's worse, even the most cleverly designed melee type will still, in the end, lose out to casters. Tome of Battle went a LOOOOONG way towards solving the crippling weakness attached to playing a melee character, granted. Casters are still better, but ToB has made melee fun again - and flavorful, too!

But I'm off-topic, here. What I'd like to get at is that perhaps "warriors" need a boost more than casters need a nerf. I'd suggest allowing Tome of Battle - it'll do wonders for helping non-caster party members pull their weight.

Another possibility would be a "boost + nerf" approach. If you wanted to power-down the melee capacity of casters, the first step would be to use the newest polymorph rules - the ones that limit you to a single form and strip you of your casting for the duration of the shift. Remove Persistent Spell and Divine Metamagic from your game, and throw out Divine Power and Righteous Might. Make the druids in your game play the Shapeshift variant from the PHB II or force them to use the "elemental aspect" variant in Unearthed Arcana (which provides, instead of impressive form-shifts, minor buffs).

Add to this the Tome of Battle, which will give any melee enthusiast a chance to shine, and you *might* have a more balanced game.

On the other hand, if your players don't know what they're doing, this may not be necessary. People who aren't optimizers very rarely realize what's possible with casters - sorcs and wizards whine about being too weak, and clerics and druids groan about being the party's band-aid box. The problems only start to crop up when they do their research and figure out what spells are really capable of.

I've posed this in other threads, but the main issue comes down to three things:

Depending on a roll is always bad,
Range is always good, and . . .
Damage is never the issue.

The combination is what leaves fighter-types so underpowered. A 1st level Fighter, Barbarian, or even Warblade can do a lot of damage, it's true. But they have to ROLL to hit! No matter how big your bonuses get, this means that there will always be circumstances in which you fail. Worse yet, most soldiers depend on melee distance to deal their damage. Place a foe on difficult terrain, in the air, in the water, or pretty much anywhere not readily accessible and a melee character's abilities are nearly completely neutralized.

Casters, on the other hand, have advantages in place of their counterparts' disadvantages. They don't NEED to roll for most of their most effective abilities - they simply wave their hands and an effect occurs. What's even better is that most of the best things they can do are possible at range. Not only do they not have to roll, they force the ENEMY to roll - and, like attack rolls, saves ALWAYS fail on a 1. Thus instead of the caster having a chance to fail, the enemy does.

Then there's the fact that unlike warriors, who have to worry about AC and DR, casters have the ability to pick and choose how they assault targets. If they face a frail spellcaster, they can force Fortitude saves. Against big, clumsy monsters there are Ref save spells, and for the mentally challenged the deadly Will save spells. In other words, spellcasters have the versatility to exploit any given foe's weakness. They also have utility spells to cover other contingencies - Freedom of Movement, Water Breathing, Identify, Fly, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance . . . the list goes on and on.

Finally, there's the fact that they, unlike 99% of warrior builds, have the ability to affect CROWDS of foes. They're not limited to thumping single enemies one at a time like a kid on a Whack-a-Mole machine. Nope - they get to wield a mallet big enough to hit ALL the holes at the same time, meaning they'll always get a better score than the fighter - no matter how fast his reflexes are.

The real insult-to-injury part is the one you addressed in your initial post. Not only are they better in combat, better out of combat, and more versatile, they're able to do what nearly any non-casting class can do - and do it BETTER. A mage can easily grab more sneak attack dice than a 20th level Rogue, more melee combat ability than a fighter, and still have the ability to do all the other things casters do so well.

I think the issue that gets so many "Fighters Don't Suck" threads started is an issue of genre. Ultimately, all us folks who play DnD do so because it's an escape we're fond of. We like the fantasy-world genre, and, having cut our teeth on novels and movies where mighty warriors with thews of iron do battle with the forces of evil, we have certain expectations. You don't see characters in popular fiction or film employ different tactics in every battle; rather, each well-crafted hero or heroine will vary his or her approach somewhat from encounter to encounter but still, in the main, stick to a thematic style of combat. Fighters will swing their steely blades and wizards will hurl eldritch energy. Wizards WON'T, however, suddenly turn into 12 headed hydras, strike at vital points like assassins, or simply wave a hand to reverse gravity on the fighter and leave him stuck to the cieling.

The thing is that we WANT melee combat. We WANT grim, hardened warriors who cut a swath through their enemies, hewing them down in vicious sprays of blood and gore. We want heroes who sweat and grunt and fear and grit their teeth. Conan the Barbarian wasn't about wizards and spells - it was about a sneaky thug who cut his enemies into chunky salsa.

So here's the sorry fact: DnD has let us down. We all want our expectations of the brawny behemoths of our collective unconscious to be fulfilled when we play DnD. We want to be HEROES (or equally capitalized VILLAINS) - and when we see our lovingly crafted avatars standing tall in the midst of battle, we want to feel proud.

Instead, we see them looking like midgets next to scrawny guys in pointy hats.

It's demeaning. It's frustrating. And it's enough to make a lot of people delusional. They insist that it's just not true - casters AREN'T more powerful than fighters, they COULDN'T be! They scream and rage at optimizers who point out the incredible advantages and immense power offered by casters, furious that their heroic archetypes are being dragged through the dirt.

But it's not the optimizers' fault. It's a game mechanic. Whether it's a flaw or not is open to debate, but the flat fact of the system gimps the "mighty hero" and hands the game to casters on a silver platter. With a garnish of parsely.

Woof. You'll have to pardon me. There was a lot there that had more to do with other threads than this one. My apologies. My conclusion, however, is simple:

Perhaps it's warriors who need a buff, not casters who need a nerf.

Using Half-Minotaur at +1 level adjustment with the stat adjustments from a size increase isn't optimized, it's pretty much broken. A feral half-ogre barely matches the stats that that template gives you, and that is a total of +3 LA.

Truthfully, I think they were intending to say you also get the -1 AC and -1 attack when they mentioned the size increase. Even without it, it's still a bit overpowered (reach plus good stats and natural armor is a +2 pretty easily).

Sigh. The old "that's unbalanced because it's great at low levels" argument.

That template is, in fact, a BALANCED one. Not at level 1, granted, but as levels progress?

Let's face facts: no matter how tough that Hulk looks on paper, he's got a +13 Will save. All that means is that by 20th level some ridiculously powerful caster has got a very handy, beefy bodyguard.

LA templates without the buyoff rules are very rarely overpowered except at lower levels of play. Heck, even then the loss of a Hit Die usually cripples the character and makes him/her/it a glass cannon - one hit and they're down, maybe even dead.

So what does a template or LA do for you? It gives you a STATIC benefit that does not increase as your level increases (there are a few notable exceptions to this rule, what with the arguments for even class HD improving Feral and Phrenic abilities, but I think that in general all templated abilities run off racial HD . . . maybe that argument belongs in the Book of Heavily Debated Topics!). Class levels, on the other hand, provide a SCALING benefit - for every level you gain, you gain abilities appropriate to your level.

Granted, it's easy to lose sight of the immense profit possible with scaling, class-based benefits when you're building a melee character. Melee characters (and indeed, non-casters as a whole) don't really get scaling benefits - instead, they get +1 BaB per level and some mediocre (generally speaking) plusses. When all you get for going up a level is a +1 to hit, +4 to Strength starts looking REALLY sexy.

Casters, on the other hand, gain scaling benefits that become immensely useful rather quickly. Sure, there are "dead levels" in which PCs only gain one more slot of an existing spell level per day, but with wisely chosen spells that's one more encounter per day without breaking a sweat.

My point is simply this: let the man have his fun with the Half-Minotaur. For non-ToB melee types (and even FOR ToB melee types, for that matter!), that LA makes playing more fun, more flavorful, and doesn't really do that much for them. Better yet, they get to have the rewarding FEELING that they're rough and buff and tough and stuff, and can get their satisfying one-hit one-kill moments in while the casters do the hard work (catching flyers, incorporeal creatures, etc.). In fact, allowing templates that are "broken" like the Half-Minotaur can make a DM's job MUCH easier - when the PC gets terrified by a fear aura, dominated, charmed, area-of-effect-ed (think GREASE, Impeding Stones from Cityscape, or the Frostburn equivalent of Grease that puts down an ice slick), nuked by blasphemy, holy word, imprisoned, etc. etc., you can always just say:

"Hey dude - I gave you that template. What are you whining about?"

You have to understand that this comes from a very passionate place. You see, I LOVE non-casters. What's more, I HATE casters - I hate playing them, building them, fighting them - just plain straight HATE 'em. But the problem is that in this game non-casters DON'T GET NICE THINGS - and for some reason everybody seems to be okay with that. It's unclear to me whether it has something to do with most folks making ineffective and weak casters (focusing on direct damage spells and other non-Aoo, non-save or lose, non-battlefield control spells) or that the fantasy gaming community, as a whole, has accepted the idea that fighters swing swords and wizards ALTER THE FABRIC OF REALITY.

Can you see the imbalance there?

Anyhoo, this is the same argument I make for ToB. Most folks who don't like ToB quibble with two things: 1) a misguided perception of too much power and/or 2) the argument that "if you can do it all day, it's borked." Neither of these arguments hold up under close scrutiny, of course - the abilities of a 20th level Tome character don't measure up to those of a well-built 20th level caster, and "at-will abilities" sounds great until you realize that 99.9% of them are single-target, require an attack roll, and often allow a save. With the same standard action it takes a Tome of Battle character to fire off a 9th level maneuver and take a single enemy down, a caster can eliminate an entire squadron. Tome characters NEED to have at-will abilities; without them, they'd be STUCK.

So my bottom line as a DM has been the following: take an LA if you want to - go for it! Enjoy the hell out of your freaky-deeky melee monsters. You're not even CLOSE to being overpowered - hell, a 1st level color spray will take you out all the way to ECL 5, and by that time casters have 3rd level spells - you're just not in the same league. But if that's your playstyle and it makes you happy, go to town - it doesn't break, bend, or even mildly unbalance the game.

Systematically, little to nothing changes.

In terms of fun, it can make someone's day.

To me, that's just the definition of "role" playing. ;)

P.S. Just to finish the rant, I thought I'd add that I apply the same logic to supplements - the more the merrier. Every supplement out there adds IMMENSE amounts of power to casters . . . and generally very little for your average board-swinger. If you really want to control power, give access to feats from any book but spells from the SRD alone - and even then casters will STILL be way ahead. Really, though, it all comes down to this:

You only know what's broken if you know how to BUILD.

Personally, I help my players craft the most efficient, powerful, and effective characters they can - they NEED it! Without well-built and heroic characters, they don't enjoy themselves (no one likes to play a hero who spend a lot of time looking un-heroically ineffective) and the enemies of their CR TEAR THEM APART.

Incidentally, I do think that part of the problem is that most DMs don't know how to read a monster entry. I remember playing in a game in which the party walked out onto a narrow stone bridge over a deep chasm, only to have a hideous skeletal demon surge up out of the depths to harry us. The monster entry read "attacks with swoops and claws." The thing had ACID FOG, BLASPHEMY, and CLOUDKILL as spell-like abilities.

Clawing and swooping? For god's sakes, WHY?

Everything should, of course, be tailored to fit the group and the DM. Naturally if your DM isn't savvy about special abilities or spellcasting he may not be ready for a properly optimized team of adventurers. Still, it's worth noting that a DM who does know how to run his monsters and outlaws things like LAs and splatbooks with "too powerful for players" is being rather unfair - in effect, rigging the game. The DM shouldn't have to rig the game - it's already rigged, and rigged in his favor!

The goal isn't a contest between DM and players, but rather a collaborative story-telling experience in which everyone contributes. The goal is to create a story with real, believable tension (people actually risk death on a regular basis!), larger-than-life, powerful fantasy heroes (nobody plays d20 because they like the idea of running peasants with pitchforks - they play to enjoy the thrill of being a mighty-thewed warrior or a powerful mage!), and frightening, horrible threats.

To that end, I'd like to turn this into an appeal:

Gamers of the world, unite under the banner of DIVERSITY! Allow bizarre templates, races, and bloodlines - is this not FANTASY? Permit feats and classes from any and every source you have access to! Punish not the pitiful warrior, but do your best to uplift him from his miserable state by granting him use of that which he needs to achieve! Accept ye all character concepts, be they brilliant or misguided, but help your fellow gamer to craft a BETTER character whenever possible! Is this game not open-ended, and do we not CRAVE new supplements, feats, classes, and spells? If it be so, then let us play this game unto its fullest potential, and delight in the cornucopia of diverse and flavorful delicacies only d20 can offer! If this game be designed to sell extra books and we choose to play it, do we not by playing concede that we LOVE the bounty of various rules and expansions it offers? Fear not imbalance, but rather celebrate the beauty of the myriad ideas that fuel our collective conception of FANTASY! War ye not with your fellow gamers, lest ye forget that verily this game was granted unto us that we might HAVE FUN!

For ours is the power and the glory of the immortal imagination, Amen.

Seriously, though - I think the LA system is borked anyhoo, and that even the most "underpriced" of templates fails to equal the potential power of a class level. I think I saw a larger issue that irks me, here: people consistently claim that various things are "broken" when some of the worst and most unreasonably unbalanced classes in the game are in the PHB: CoDzilla, anyone?

My argument is not meant to be a negative rant, but rather a positive exhortation to all those who play d20 to recognize the wonderful flavor possible when you embrace diversity. Play with every splatbook, web enhacement, dragon or dungeon you can get your hands on! YES, there will always be broken builds in d20 - but limiting supplements won't get rid of that imbalance. ALLOWING MORE supplements and sources will create opportunities to be powerful, yet not limited in choice - to be able to create a truly CREATIVE character who can hold his own.

Broken is all up to the group. My argument is that if the group is fully informed and knows what it's doing, that it will see that things like the Half-Minotaur AREN'T broken, whereas things like DRUIDS are.

An example:

NineInchNall, the author of the Shadowcraft Mage Handbook, and I are old pals. We are paying in a PbP game on another forum, and the DM there allowed only PHB, Completes, and Races. I wanted to make a non-caster, and without ToB found myself crippled. Non-casters need a variety of good stats; casters need only one. Non-casters need a lot of supplements to make their meager class abilities work for them; casters need only the SRD. Non-casters need a large range of PrCs; casters don't need PrCs at all, but can do just fine with one or two if they feel like it.

I asked to play a Dragonfire Adept - it's my thing, you know.

The DM's reply?

"I'm worried it would be broken."

NineInchNall was meanwhile happily statting out a 10th level SHADOWCRAFT MAGE - a character who is constantly invisible, can cast spontaneously cast ridiculously heightened evocation and conjuration spells SILENTLY all day long, and is generally a huge pain in the butt.

But the DM was worried about ME. Because I wanted to play something that had "at-will" abilities.

My point, in essence, is that limiting supplements does NOT prevent broken-ness; limiting supplements simply screws many players out of fun, playable options for the kinds of characters they like to run. Templates are the same way - it may sound overpowered for a +1, but give me another caster level ANY DAY and I'll show you REAL power.

My plea is simple: acknowledge that no matter what you allow there will be broken-ness! Acknowledge that templates - unless they're a +0 LA - aren't broken - they're underpowered! Allowing templates isn't dangerous - it's just good DM-ing; your player gets to enjoy a weird and entertaining build and ends up sacrificing power - usually quite a bit, in the long-run.

Hmm. I agree - not balanced if the DM's using the LA rules. But then again, it's sort of like taking classes, isn't it?

I mean, some templates are going to be inherently BETTER than others - I don't think anybody is going to argue that the LA rules as written make sense or work to balance everything with a +1 with everything else that has a +1. For instance, Half-Giants are just plain worse than Goliaths - there's very little argument there (except if maybe you're DESPERATE for power points . . . and even then!).

So in the same way that some classes are inherently BETTER than others (Warblades and Crusaders are inherently BETTER than Barbarians and Fighters, Druids are inherently BETTER than Spirit Shamans, etc.), some templates are always going to be inherently BETTER than others. Hey, even WEAPONS aren't equal - why, if you wanted a one-handed weapon, would you EVER choose a club over a mace? Cause you want to be able to throw it 10 ft.? And isn't part of the game allowing the players the ability to figure out what is 1) effective and 2) helps them do what they want to?

Here's another way to put it: if they AREN'T using the Half-Minotaur, is one of the other templates mentioned going to be as effective for the +1 LA? If it isn't, is forcing him to use a worse template somehow going to make things MORE FAIR for everyone else, or is it just going to screw his character? We don't know what kind of characters are going to be in his party, but it's reasonable to assume that there isn't going to be another "big thug" character. After all, d20 is all about party play, and I don't think I've played with a single group that didn't discuss roles and avoiding overlap before statting out characters.

With that in mind, how does letting him take Half-Minotaur hurt anyone? He won't be over-powered, if you accept my arguments above (static benefit, still WAY less effective than scaling class abilities, still TOTALLY vulnerable to spells/spell-likes/supernatural, limited to melee - really, in the broad sense of the word, a d20 cripple - a one-trick pony; the one trick he knows he does well, but so many high-level situations will straight flatten him). In fact, the ONLY THING the template will do is give him access to some abilities and a class that he thinks are groovy.

That hardly seems as if it will have any effect on game balance, doesn't it?

This is exactly my point in my above rant: that just because something isn't balanced with the REST OF THE GAME doesn't mean that it's broken or that it shouldn't be allowed. Some templates, feats, classes, and abilities will ALWAYS be better than others - the whole point of this forum is to FIND them and SHARE them! None of these can be broken unless there exists a significant power differential not between the ability in question and some of the abilities in the game, but between the ability in question and the abilities of the other PCs and the enemies. Moreover, there's always the question of overlap - even if a PC possess massive power in one dimension, he is still reliant on his allies for all the dimensions that he can't handle - and which they will be MORE OPTIMIZED to deal with.

Some of you may be wondering at this point: but Brother JJ, I'm running a module! How on earth do I ensure that my wonderfully diverse, multiple-splatbook-enabled, stylish, efficient, and POWERFUL characters don't eat the unoptimized encounters for breakfast?

Fear not, my child. For the way is like water, and can change its shape to accommodate any eventuality.

Firstly, know ye that most modules are well-optimized, and are designed to challenge spellcasters - verily, they who require fewer supplements to achieve greatness.

Second, know ye that no matter the lameness of the creature that a module presents, you, o optimizer, can cure its lameness, even so that it may RUN again, not merely walk. Read on, and all will become clear.

EVERYTHING hinges on tactics.

Exemplis gratis:

I was playing a level 1 Dragonfire Adept - a Whispergnome with Entangling Exhalation, Power Surge, and Shape Breath (see the DFA Handbook for more on the exact tactic, but basically this nabs a 30 ft. cone of entangling breath weapon ever 3rd round - breathe, wait, wait, breathe - etc.). Flaws account for the extra feats, by the by.

I met two stone golems. I fought them (something the module did not think would/could happen). I killed them both.

The EXP calculator on the d20srd told me I should get 0 experience - because TWO CR 11 critters should be "impossible" for a single level 1 character to defeat.

But not with miracle-working power of TACTICS!

See, those CR 11 critters had no ranged attacks, no energy resistance, and a speed of 20 ft. per round. Whilst entangles, they could move 20 ft. with a double move . . . leaving no ability to attack. Alls I had to do was play around with diagonal movement and just stick n' move, stick n' move.

I went up to level 7 after my first encounter. It made me happy in the pants. Of course, my little Whispergnome is probably the poorest 7th level character in the universe.

But I digress.

The CR system is completely illogical and arbitrary, and really presents only the crudest and most broad idea of how challenging an encounter might be. As a DM, I simply go into every adventure comfy and secure in the knowledge that my optimization skeelz guarantee that I can kick any given encounter to make it a challenge for my players.

Exemplis gratis:

My 6th level dungeon-crawling party, a bang-up mercenary menace in closed quarters, ran into a red dragon. Simply by adding Flyby Breath (Dragonlance) and Maximize Breath, I nearly nuked the lot of them into crispy chicken parts. The first pass by that bad boy left them all quaking (and sent a couple running like girls), and that fight has gone down as one of their truly "epic encounter" moments - and all it took from me, the DM, was the re-appropriation of two measly feats.

Feats, I find, are the easiest, quickest, and most straightforward way to ramp up an encounter. Usually I know something needs to change when the encounter is with a melee thug-monster - without special abilities, the CR of most critters is BADLY overrated. In lieu of special abilities, fiddle with feats to make the encounter scary!

Exemplis gratis:

My guys are going to be running into a couple of Huge fire elementals next game. Oooooh - big things are scary, I hear you say. But wait - all they do is beat things with flaming fists - NOT something worth much, my friend, against a tactically savvy party. A few spells and it's all over.

So what to do?

Simple! Swap out some lousy feats like "spring attack" (bleah!) for Martial Maneuver + Martial Stance! That grabs you the constricting stance, which sets you up for Crush - a feat from Savage Species. It lets you FALL on enemies to PIN them. MULTIPLE ENEMIES. Who then take flaming, constricting grapple damage of DOOM!

I'm not arguing everyone should buy or pirate the books; just that if they DO have them, they should USE them. I'm also careful to suggest that gamers SHARE knowledge - that everyone should not have to optimize "solo," but rather compile knowledge and information so that EVERYONE GETS THE CHANCE TO PLAY THE CHARACTER HE OR SHE WOULD ENJOY MOST. Moreover, you will note that I very SPECIFICALLY advocate playing "at the level of the group" and that one should always endeavor to help your fellow players (AND DM!) level it UP if necessary. Of COURSE the DM can "send everyone home with his tail between his legs." Part of my point is that BECAUSE the game is rigged and the DM is in complete control, it is patently RIDICULOUS to assume that giving the players access to more supplements will somehow "break" his ability to challenge the party. In fact, it's flat COUNTER-LOGICAL.

It all boils down to these two statements:

EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY THE CHARACTER HE OR SHE WOULD ENJOY MOST
and
VARIETY HELPS PEOPLE DO THAT WITHOUT UNDULY IMBALANCING THE GAME

Character classes are not equal. It's flat FACT that Clerics and Druids are BETTER than the other base classes. The same is true of feats, equipment, spells - NONE are equal. NONE. Therefore, the idea that preventing use of sources is somehow preventing "imbalance" is completely farcical. You can easily make an incredibly strong character using only the PHB. Unfortunately, that player will be limited to choosing Cleric or Druid. That limits the flavor of the game; saying "if you want to be truly heroic, you can only play one of these two archetypes" is a ridiculous and offensive attitude.

You'll argue that what you're really saying is that "every character archetype should be playable and viable regardless." I agree whole-heartedly. The problem comes in execution - you seem to think that somehow, magically, the DM should be able to micro-manage every encounter so that even the suck-tacular classes and builds find a way to be useful (despite inherent system imbalance and badly designed and weak abilities). I think that's TOO MUCH for a DM to manage!

Instead of pretending that "we'll all have more fun if the DM gimps the heroes and everybody sucks" or that "I'm a ninja even though I can't do anything that ninjas can," I'm advocating allowing enough supplements that people can actually PLAY the heroes they WANT to. Sure, not everybody will have the knowledge or the supplements, but that's why you SHARE. After all, as I point OUT in the Gospels, the WHOLE POINT OF GAMING IS FUN! It is, to quote myself, "a collective storytelling experience" - NOT a conflict between players and DMs.

The whole "imbalance" argument is somehow predicated on the idea that, if we give those players some supplements, they'll get out of hand - we'll lose control, and they'll end up RULING THE WORLD!

No they won't. They have a vested interest in play being challenging and fun, too! If you allow more versatility and resources, then all you do is allow for more flexible, interesting, and varied character builds. Plus, you allow your players to enjoy iconic heroes who actually live up to their archetypes, which is better than giving them the disappointing, frustrating, and ultimately NOT-FUN experience of TRYING to play a character they'll enjoy and finding out the hard way that it SUCKS. I find it highly unlikely that anyone worth playing with would actually bring something like Pun-Pun to the table - that would be completely asinine and pointless, and would ruin the game. If you're in a group with someone who actively does things that ruin the game and can't be reasoned with, maybe you better kick him out.

Let me summarize:

I am advocating that groups work together to build strong players, strong threats, and strong stories.
I am advocating for diversity allowing MORE fun, not somehow destroying it.

I am NOT advocating everyone buy more supplements.
I am NOT advocating that one player should monopolize the game action by playing a vastly more powerful character.

Outlawing may be easier, it's true. But if you're going to outlaw, you might as well not play. The SRD is broken, so why on earth should you even bother? This is the equivalent of saying "since there are some emergent problems with new technology, we should all just wear loincloths, live in the forest, and poke people with sticks."

There are very few TRULY "broken" things - in ANY book.
Most of what people call "broken" is just powerful.
And most of what is thought of as "powerful" ISN'T really - it's just MUCH better than what you can do with the SRD.
And those things that are MUCH better than the SRD are usually for non-casters.
And non-casters are CRIPPLED to begin with.

ERGO:

When people say "OMG - BORKED" and outlaw something, they are usually doing the equivalent of preventing a crippled guy from buying a crutch, not giving a bazooka to a ninja.

chaos_redefined
2015-09-22, 08:19 AM
How many times have I changed alignment in my entire life? Maybe once, probably not even that. I've changed my opinion on a lot of things, maybe become a bit more cynical about humanity, maybe become more openminded on a few issues. I still tend in the same direction though, it's only how I express that in context of the world at large that's changed. I know people who woke up one morning and decided their primary philosophical focus from Descartes to Kant, but nobody who was ever a fundamentally lawful person who suddenly started embracing anarchism or the chaotic mindset. People either need a major epiphany and some critical events to trigger dramatic personality change (rather than just a modulation of expression like moving from Catholicism to Islam), or decades in which to gradually shift.

We're still talking about different wavelengths here anyway. See, I have no problem with a Fighter taking a level or two of barbarian - those have compatible flavours and mechanics. A fighter who levels as Barbarian is being guided a bit more by his instincts; a barbarian who levels as a Fighter is paying more attention to the art of combat. All is well and good. However, a Human Paragon who levels as Stoneblessed and then into Dwarf Paragon has some serious explaining to do.

Or, let's take a more relateable example. Say someone in your gaming group is playing a level 4 Half-Orc Monk, with a focus on Grappling. They're doing fairly well, roleplaying a half-orc who's turned his back on his savage past and has embraced a solid LN mindset. When he levels up, however, the player looks at the Monk table and realizes that he really can't afford the drop in bab now that you're going to be fighting larger and stronger stuff, so he decides to level up in Barbarian. Next session he's grabbing greatswords and raging in combat. He could try to justify it as a sudden release of his pent-up Orcish anger, but it's going to sound hollow to everyone else at the table. Now say he levels up again and reads the XPHB, falling in love with "Grip of Iron" and "Expansion", but he can't afford the really worthwhile high-ML tattoos. So next session comes around, and this Ex-Monk Barbarian is suddenly psychic. How do you think his roleplaying buddies, who have been trying to get as much verisimilitude as feasible into their game world, are going to take that?

Every gaming group except the most hardcore hack-and-slashers are going to have a breaking point where they'll find that the thread of plausibility has been stretched too thin. The Rule of Cool may apply, but the danger of a Wall Banger is always there if you push things too hard.

Note that I'm not trying to contradict the Stormwind Fallacy here. Roleplaying and Powergaming are by no means contradictory. A Monk/Barbarian/PsiWar character is potentially justifiable in RP, but there is such a thing as violating willful suspension of disbelief. I've been in a similar situation myself, where my Orcish Barbarian could have benefited by levelling into PsiWar, but it just wouldn't have felt right for that character, so I looked around and eventually found a much more appropriate choice for him that was still optimal in its own way (Wilderness Rogue, as it turns out). Point is, while "flavour is mutable" and "roleplay and powergaming go hand in hand", there comes a point where certain character choices are just plain bad on one front or the other. A Shakespearian actor's Elven Bard may be brilliantly acted but pretty useless, and an optimized "Ex-Monk Barbarian PsiWar Warblade" may not make gameworld sense. Roleplay and powergaming are not enemies, but they are not the same either.
Argh. I disagree.

Let's take your Half-Orc Monk grappler as an example, shall we? He takes a level of Barbarian. Now he rages in combat and GRAPPLES using his enhanced Strength. He calls it "Bear Encircles the World" technique, and ancient style of meditative combat fury that taps into animalistic movements, ferocity, and power. Next, he takes a level in Shapeshift Druid (assuming he's Monk 2/Barb 1, that is - his 3rd level feat would, of course, be Extra Rage); now he can transform into a huge animalistic form to grab a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength. He is a true totem warrior - a spiritual master of kung-fu who has tapped into his "inner animal," a la Mortal Combat ("ANIMALITY!"). This does NOT violate suspension of disbelief WHATSOEVER in a world where casters can transform into six-armed demons and disappear from right in front of you.

Or hey, let's make an Ex-Monk 2/Barbarian 1/Psychic Warrior 1/Warblade 2/Psychic Warrior 1/Warblade 1. Let's see - what abilities will we give him?

Expansion
3/day Rage
Power Attack (Overwhelming Attack School 1, Unearthed Arcana)
Improved Unarmed Strike
He'll be a Decisive Strike monk, too (in place of flurry; look to PHBII)
Big grapple ups through Grip of Iron
Let's throw on Psionic Meditation, Power Attack, and Deep Impact, shall we?

Your power points are based on Wisdom, as is your AC boost. You have Inertial Armor too - a special kung-fu technique that uses your Ki to project an invisible shield about your body - something called "Perfect Mask of the North Wind." You can use "Sticky Hands Style" (Grip of Iron + Improved Grapple) to wrestle even enormous opponents, and can focus your energy to grow in size in dire situations using "Titan Straddles the Earth" style. You can enter a trancelike battle fury with your "Tiger Tears the Heavens" style. You can even choose to strike with a staff that you carry, breaking past all defenses to deal powerful blows to your enemies (use Deep Impact in conjunction with a full Power Attack with a staff and Decisive Strike or a strike like Mountain Hammer) - your "Trembling Stonebreaker Strike." Go through and name all your maneuvers and stances too, won't you?

Why does all this work?

Because the FLAVOR - "Kung-Fu Master" - is completely independent of the FUNCTION.

You could do the same with a straight psychic warrior, even a Wizard or Psion. Each of those abilities could easily be written as a kung-fu technique, and so there is absolutely no problem with flavor. The only reason someone might have trouble reconciling them is a distinct lack of imagination.

Flavor is entirely mutable.

I just made a Factotum build that perfectly did what a person wanted Bruce Lee to be. Better than a Monk. Did the flavor get in the way? HELL no. He heals with his hands? Knowledge of ki and power points. He can add Int mod to AC? Extreme kung-fu speed and reaction time. Punches harder and faster using Cunning Surge and Cunning Knowledge? Well then, hits like a truck due to kung-fu training. Has Autohypnosis? Mentally focused and trained in shrugging off effects. Adds Int mod to Str and Dex based skills? Super-athlete, capable of pulling off Hong-Kong action flick feats of the physical.

FUNCTION DEFINES FLAVOR.

A character is not the sum of other people's assumptions about what he SHOULD be, but exists in the game SOLELY in TWO DIMENSIONS:

What he is capable of doing, and
what you decide his backstory, character, and flavor are.

Sure, a Cleric has to worship something . . . but he can just worship an IDEAL! He doesn't have to proselytize, set up a church - none of that. All he has to do is have a powerful driving principle - like a belief in self-confidence, or a sincere addiction to speed and mobility. That's it.

Flavor is only what you make it. Classes that impose flavor restrictions on characters, though they can have decent abilities, are, in my opinion, rather obnoxious; pre-requisites like feats and skill ranks make sense, but random flavor-stuff is exactly what the DM and players are there to figure out. I think flavor restrictions for play are designed to do one thing and one thing only: help those who can't write stories without having someone lead them by the nose. Why should the Barbarian have to be uncivilized? Maybe he's a brutal street-fighter who learned to enter a fierce fury in tavern brawls and pit-fights! Why should you have to be a member of some sort of society to get into a PrC - couldn't a rogue member of that society have trained you? Hell, couldn't you just figure out a way to develop those skills on your own - somebody had to in order to create the damn class, didn't he?

You seem to be missing a big part of what I'm saying. I mentioned specifically that such a reconciliation is possible. I believe wholeheartedly in the ability to find common ground between disparate classes and build on it towards some final end. HOWEVER, such a feat requires, as you yourself mentioned, imagination and planning, areas in which not all players are as skilled as you might be.

Look, of all the dozens of players I've gamed with, almost none have ever attempted to radically alter a class's flavour text. Beginner players almost invariably look at the class list, look at the race list, look at the alignment list, and choose a combination that sounds good. Intermediate players tend to play around with the concepts more, multiclass more freely, and challenge cliches by having police detective rogues, ranged-specialist barbarians, and other combinations that, while counterintuitive to the beginner, are still within the range of flavour given in the class itself. It's only expert players who ever really break down the given flavour and reshape it to their whim. And while I applaud you for getting to that point, I believe you are in the minority, and that most players simply don't have that comfort level. If they level up at Psychic Warrior, to them that means their new powers are psychic in nature. And while that's not strictly necessary, I've never yet gamed with a player who challenges that. You're talking what's possible for an expert player to do; I'm talking about what actual casual players do on a regular basis.
But this isn't about making PLAYERS comfortable - it's about DMs.

If you want to cobble together an interesting character concept out of a bunch of different classes, there shouldn't be anything flavor-wise stopping you - you just have to make sure the character HAS a flavor that encompasses all of his abilities! Your argument was that if flavor doesn't fit then you understand the DM's hesitation - but that's completely unreasonable if the player is providing an inclusive, sensible flavor (a la my examples).

In other words, punishing an imaginative player who wants to make a creative, effective build that does some unique things by NOT allowing him to make his own flavor for his abilities is not only WRONG, it violates one of the prime imperatives of gaming: to have FUN. If a player is only choosing classes, feats, and abilities for mechanical benefit, ignoring their flavor restrictions, there should be no problem - ESPECIALLY if that player has done the thoughtful, careful, STORY-ORIENTED and ROLE-PLAYING work of figuring out a unifying theme for his character's abilities!

Ergo, your counter-argument did not support your original contention.

You originally suggested that mis-matched flavors could disrupt suspension of disbelief.
I countered that you could create a flavor for a character that could unite any number of disparate abilities under a coherent, creative design.
You replied by suggesting that many players could not do so, and that only "experts" had the imagination to create detailed, inclusive backstories for their PCs.
Argument 3 has nothing to do with Argument 1.

You seem to be seeing what I'm saying in black-and-white terms. You're right, I suggested that mis-matched flavours could disrupt suspension of disbelieve. You quite correctly pointed out that mis-matched flavours do not necessarily violate suspension of disbelief, if done well. I replied saying that I agreed, but repeating my original contention, which I'll restate thusly: "Powergaming can, in at least some instances, come at the cost of roleplaying". Or, closer to what I said in my second post: "elaborate powergaming requires elaborate justification." An Orc Barbarian who hits things until they fall over requires no special creative gift to play, an Orc Barbarian/Fighter/Rogue requires only slightly more, while many of the examples both of us have brought up do require a significant degree of creativity. If that creativity is lacking, then verisimilitude and believability suffers.

One of the points I made in my second post was that, from personal experience, the average player rarely has the comfort level to be that creative in redefining flavour. You mention seeing a Shapeshifter Druid as potentially a new form of martial arts, and I applaud you for that, but please realize that when your average player sees "Druid" on the paper, they assume the powers come from nature, and often would have difficulty making that mental leap that you make so effortlessly. If they can, great, and I encourage them to play that way. But if they can't, I believe they should stick to more conventional options.

I agree that using flavor to define function is easier for new players and DMs. My point is that, logically speaking, flavor CANNOT define function unless the game is built that way. It's not. Swordsages are better ninjas than Ninjas. Crusaders and Warblades are better Paladins and Fighters than Paladins and Fighters. My problem is with people - DMs and players - who force flavor onto function.

Here's an example thread.

That's kind of an extreme example, but not really understanding the rules or being creative enough to read past flavor isn't a good reason to limit others - it's a good reason to rely on flavor yourself, though.

You're right - I don't think we're far off. Really, you just voiced something that helped me crystallize my thoughts - which is pretty much all the gospels are. I think the big part for me is just the need to acknowledge that limiting others due to something non-rules based (flavor, not function) is illogical. Sure, it works for folks who don't know how to play the game, but the biggest issue that crops up there is disappointment. As I mention earlier in the gospels, I have a problem with giving a newbie, who doesn't know any better, a Fighter because he wants to play a sword-slinger of some kind. Sure, the title is "Fighter," but the effect is . . . pathetic.

Then again, as I've said, it all depends on group and balance. But still - limitations by the DM based solely on flavor feel, to me, as though they're based on inherently flawed logic:

"This has title A, so therefore it must function as A."
"Hmmm - it doesn't seem to be doing what A should . . . but since it's still CALLED A I guess I can't complain!"
"What's that? You want to build A? Okay, here's A! . . . What do you mean, it doesn't do what A should do. No, you can't play C and call it A - it's C! Well, yes, it may do everything A SHOULD do - and better - but hell, it's C, dammit!"

My biggest issue with "sticking to flavor conventions," as you put it, is the hideous feeling of disappointment most players get by doing so. Nothing sucks more than seeing your Fighter run into combat and routinely get hacked to shreds because he:

gets hit easily and can't defend himself;
can't get inside monsters' reach;
gets grappled all the time;
can't deal squat for damage;

. . . and so on. Meanwhile, the mage can easily avoid all of those problems. If the system were inherently balanced, perhaps it would be an easy and good idea to use archetypes to define play for newbies. In fact, it would be GREAT - you'd just give them a class and let them play away!

But that's not d20.

In d20, everything that ISN'T a caster takes a TON of smart optimization before you can play it and be successful at anything past around 3rd level - the enemies you face are just too damn competent. In other words, RELYING on flavor to help guide newbies to FUNCTIONAL characters will set you up to see some newbie corpses and a lot of angry, frustrated players.

Which is one of the reasons that I consistently advocate for GROUP optimization. I think DMs should be busily HELPING players optimize to find a combination that gives their characters the FUNCTION that the FLAVOR of their build requires. I've seen threads on here in which DMs were, in essence, restructuring all the base classes to make it "easier" for their players - rebuilding Rogues as Swordsage/Rogue/Whatevers, making Paladins out to be Crusader/Cleric/RKVs - in effect, doing the work of optimization FOR players.

I don't advocate such a rigid approach, but I DO think it is in everyone's best interests (and in the interest of FUN!) for everyone to think about the kind of character he/she wants to play and to work together to try to find a way to make that character WORK in the game world. I also think that denying, restricting, or changing choices based solely on flavor that WotC has created is a mistake - sure, it can be a guide, but if you're restrictive and hidebound about it you'll just make a world that is severely imbalanced. Certain classes will be AWESOME (since their flavor checks out) and certain classes will get boned (namely, all the non-caster, who need all those splats - extra classes, feats, and equipment - to be able to do what they SHOULD be able to do in the first place!).

Which is, in essence, the heart of the gospels:

Everything should be legal. Making everything legal helps bring balance, fun, and playability to a game that can otherwise lack those traits.

So, why'd you bail on your other game? :P

JJ bailed because I wouldn't let true dragons become dragonborn.

Nah. I bailed because I play with two principles in mind:

1. Flavor IS function (in other words, it's a ninja because it sneaks like a ninja, not because it's CALLED a ninja), and

2. Fun is the point of gaming.

You ruled against something that would have been fun for me because, as near as I can tell, the story somebody came up with for the origin of Dragonborn didn't suit your concept of what my character would be. I provided good flavor and it was explicitly legal; you ruled it illegal because you decided you didn't like it. Not that you didn't like MY flavor - you never responded to it - but because you had an image in your mind of what you thought the flavor SHOULD be and were unwilling to work with me to find a middle ground. In fact, your ruling didn't even COVER Dragonwrought Kobolds, who aren't technically "true" dragons. In other words, you ruled against the written rules not to preserve fun or game balance, but to satisfy a personal whim.

That, to me, is a nonsensical ruling. Games are collective storytelling. Yes, the DM is in charge, but part of being in charge is making sure everyone has fun. No, this does not mean giving players anything they want, but let's be honest - the days of high school games are long behind us. We're CO regulars, and even in a CO game we're not likely to do anything that would make the game less fun. In fact, we're all concerned with making characters to suit the others in our group - we're concerned with working WITH our fellow authors.

The reason I was going to play a DFA was that I was asked to by a number of fellow players. Personally, I had several other characters in mind, but there was enough clamor for a DFA that I gave in. I was going to play this character, however, in an INCREDIBLY high-powered game; as a result, I had to design carefully so that the DFA, though weak, could at least KEEP UP with the full casters. I designed a character that was completely legal and sensible; you ruled him out on a whim ("I don't think a Dragonwrought kobold SHOULD be able to be Dragonborn, even though they are, within the rules, able to be"). He would not work even HALF as well without the Dragonborn template, and would have been, in that group, a lame duck.

I could have made a different character, true. But in general I find that if a DM makes a ruling like yours (one that is, in essence, a house rule that affects ONLY one character and does so not to prevent extreme power but rather due to a personal image preference), chances are more such rulings may follow.

Example:

I was in a game with NineInchNall from the CO boards. He was playing a Psion who used Metamorphosis to shift into a Stiched Devil (for fun with clawing and rending). The first time he did so, the DM told him the act of turning into a devil was "evil" and that his alignment would change if he persisted. He also told NiN that the occupants of Waterdeep, one of the most magically active cities in the heavily magical world of Faerun, would assume that he was a devil who had assumed human form (rather than being able, with time and interaction, to be persuaded that he was merely using his power to assume that form for combat).

He left the game.

Sure, he could have turned into a Dwarven Ancestor instead. The point he made to me, however, was that if the DM was the kind who would, on the fly, make up completely new rules that changed or limited his character (which he had, as I did for archrpwr, explained in detail before play), that he wouldn't be able to enjoy the game.

Part of enjoying the game for a CO type is knowing the rules and playing by them. Sure, I'm okay with a DM occasionally saying "Nah, you can't do that because it would wreck what I'm trying to set up" - that's collective story-telling in action. I am, however, most certainly NOT okay with a DM who breaks the rules or changes them because, when something is brought up, he or she "just doesn't like it."

As a CO player, I like the rules. I enjoy playing by them. I enjoy knowing them, using them to my advantage, and even the sense of "gotcha!" when a DM uses them to get me back. Part of my enjoyment of the game is based on an UNDERSTANDING of the game. If I cannot understand the game anymore because the rules keep changing to suit a DM's whim (not to preserve balance or ensure that everyone has fun AND without consideration for the players), then I might as well be playing Calvinball.

If I'm willing to change the flavor but need the function of a given template or rule, why on earth would you prevent me from using it? If it's not something game-breaking or earth-shattering, how does it hurt you, as a DM?

It doesn't. All it does is remove some fun from the game for me. And if a DM is not willing to work with his or her players to make the game more fun for everybody, chances are that game will not be a fun one for me.

Perhaps it's simply a personal prejudice.

In time, it may come to be that you find yourself stuck, arguing with a group or Deus Maestro about the validity of one or another character. Verily, many a game hath been ruined by the pernicious influence of a lack of understanding, driven to destruction by a failure of those involved to make a clear breast of their deeply held convictions of what elements doth constitute a "balanced game."

That this may be prevented, I offer the following scale. I pray that you may find it useful, and that groups may use it to decide on a shared understanding of level of play before they begin.

0 - Willful Bonehead: "I'm a ROLE-player!" Misses the point of the Stormwind Fallacy, and will ignore optimal design choices entirely. Often stubbornly against the very idea of optimization. Frequently uses terms like "munchkin" and "min/maxer" to describe those who do optimize, and "role-player, not ROLL-player" about him/herself. Sees the idea of playing a character with a story somehow antithetical to systemological considerations about function (e.g., "My Wizard took WP Focus because he got a dagger from his dad that symbolizes his clan and heritage, and he uses it whenever possible - even though he's not the best melee fighter!"). These guys have trouble understanding that a Ninja isn't a Ninja because he SAYS he is a Ninja (or his class is CALLED Ninja), but because he can hide in shadows, turn invisible, strike at pressure points, climb walls like a spider, disguise himself, etc.

1 - Greenhorn: "Wait - what do you mean I take an Aoo? What's that?" Has a sub-optimal or incomplete understanding of the rules, but is open to the idea of optimization (though he or she may find more optimal builds somewhat intimidating). Doesn't know what works together well - but will generally attempt to make choices to improve his or her character. Be nice to them - we all were there once, and they're willing to learn - remember, Greenhorns are the optimizers of the future!

2 - Novice: "Aww . . . he's cute! Like a puppy!" Has either gained knowledge from the boards or figured out some decent choices on his or her own. This is the level at which some basic understanding of what works and doesn't work is put into practice; low-level casters take spells like Glitterdust and Color Spray, melee types ignore choices like WP Focus in favor of Power Attack and classes granting pounce, etc. The level at which most informed gamers play.

3 - Practical Optimizer: "Slick" This is the level at which optimizers enjoy respect without starting to seem too threatening. Players at this level have gone beyond "basic" strategy to consider larger-picture character design goals. A Practical Optimizer tends to plan his or her character's development from the starting level of play through level 20, taking into consideration feat, maneuver, class, and ability choices to attempt to optimize effectiveness at most levels. Has an extensive knowledge of not only basic rules, but of supplemental rules (Incarnum, Martial Adepts, Psionics, etc.), and tends to be consulted by other players for advice on "tricks" that can allow for cross-book (and even cross-setting) synergies that prove extra effective.

4 - Creative Optimizer: "Mild Cheddar" Sharp, tangy, and a lovely complement to any sandwich - providing you have the palate! A Creative Optimizer's builds become even more elaborate by using "tricks" - bags full of explosive runes, necromantic exploding rat-bags, dust eggs from Oriental Adventures, Font of Inspiration for tons of standard actions on a Factotum, Frozen Wildshape for Cryo-Hydra form on Druids, etc. Tricks at this level are unquestionably legal, but often intimidate inexperienced DMs, and can prove difficult to balance without a party of similarly savvy players - the level at which some people start to get annoyed with you, and their unspoken rules prejudices come to the fore (in other words, because what you do is CREATIVE, not the standard level 3 Druid, they start saying no, but providing no logical reason why not). This is the level at which "new" or "innovative" combinations of feats, spells, classes, and abilities start to emerge.

5 - Theoretical Optimizer: "Limburger" This is when the stink of cheese gets overpowering (but many prefer strong flavors!). At this level of optimization, the flimsy fallacy of "balance" in d20 falls completely apart. Optimizers operating at this level ferret out the semantic and systemological faults of the rulebooks and exploit them, doing the equivalent of a post-modernist deconstruction of the game. Builds at this level take advantage of infinite loops, untyped bonuses (such as aid another), or unclear wording, and often result in new "world records." This kind of optimization is pure mental exercise, and is almost never suited for any kind of practical play.