PDA

View Full Version : My attempt to fix the 5e Ranger

Socko525
2015-09-22, 08:58 AM
http://i1.wp.com/www.nerdimmersion.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ranger-fix.png

I have an in-depth breakdown of the featuers and my thought process behind the changes here: http://www.nerdimmersion.com/dd-5e-ranger-fix/ but I figured I'd give you guys a more TL; DR version to see what you think.

I welcome all feedback, so please tear this apart and help me adjust wherever possible. The only one I'm personally unsure of is the level 20 ability. I feel I'm close, but not sure if it's too OP.

I'm going to list things I adjusted, if it's not mentioned here then assume it stays the same:

http://i2.wp.com/www.nerdimmersion.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ranger-table.jpg

FAVORED ENEMY
Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy.

Choose a type of favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, monstrosities, oozes, plants, or undead. Alternatively, you can select two races of humanoid (such as gnolls and orcs) as favored enemies.

You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them. In addition when fighting against one of your favored enemies, you deal half your proficiency bonus rounded down in damage. This represents your expert knowledge of your favored enemy’s weaknesses.

When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.

You choose one additional favored enemy, as well as an associated language, at 6th and 14th level. As you gain levels, your choices should reflect the types of monsters you have encountered on your adventures.

PRIMEVAL AWARENESS
Beginning at 3rd level, you can use your action to focus your awareness on the region around you. For 1 minute, you can sense whether the following types of creatures are present within 1 mile of you (or within up to 6 miles if you are in your favored terrain): aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Wisdom modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

BEAST COMPANION(granted to both archetypes, stronger for Beastmasters)
At 3rd level, you gain a beast companion that accompanies you on your adventures and is trained to fight alongside you. Your Ranger level determines the beast you can have as a companion. At level 3 for example, you can have a companion that has a challenge rating of ¼ or lower that doesn’t have a flying or swim speed.
http://i1.wp.com/www.nerdimmersion.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/beast-companiojn.png

The beast obeys your commands as best as it can. It takes its turn on your initiative, though it doesn’t take an action unless you command it to (although it will defend itself). On your turn, you can verbally command the beast where to move (no action required by you). You can use a bonus action to verbally command it to take the Attack, Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or use Help action.

If the beast dies, you can obtain another one by spending 8 hours magically bonding with another beast that isn’t hostile to you, either the same type of beast as before or a different one.

LAND’S STRIDE
Starting at 8th level, moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement. You can also pass through nonmagical plants without being slowed by them and without taking damage from them if they have thorns, spines, or a similar hazard.

In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against plants that are magically created or manipulated to impede movement, such those created by the entangle spell.

Furthermore, you cannot be tracked by nonmagical means, unless you choose to leave a trail.

HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT
Starting at 10th level, you can spend 1 minute creating camouflage for yourself. You must have access to fresh mud, dirt, plants, soot, and other naturally occurring materials with which to create your camouflage.

Once you are camouflaged in this way, you can try to hide by pressing yourself up against a solid surface, such as a tree or wall, that is at least as tall and wide as you are. You gain a +10 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks as long as you remain there without moving or taking actions. Once you move or take an action or a reaction, you must camouflage yourself again to gain this benefit.

In addition, your practiced use of stealth allows you to use the Hide action as a bonus action on your turn.

VANISH
Dissolved into the above 2 features.

NATURAL FORTITUDE
By 14th level, your prolonged exposure to the elements has boosted your physical endurance. You gain proficiency in Constitution saving throws.

MASTER OF THE WILD
At 20th level, you have become a true paragon of nature. You treat all terrain as favored terrain and after studying a creature as a bonus action, can treat it as a favored enemy for the duration of the combat encounter. If during the course of combat, you decide to focus on a different type of creature using this ability (after previously studying one type of creature), the original creature is no longer treated as a favored enemy.

Furthermore, you can add your Wisdom modifier to either the attack roll or the damage roll of an attack you make against one of your favored enemies. You can choose to use this feature before or after the roll, but before any effects of the roll are applied.

HUNTER

DEFENSIVE TACTICS
At 7th level, you gain one of the following features of your choice.

Evasion.(moved up to 7th) You can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area effects, such as a red dragon’s fiery breath or a lightning bolt spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Multiattack Defense. When a creature hits you with an attack, you gain a +4 bonus to AC against all subsequent attacks made by that creature for the rest of the turn.

Uncanny Dodge.(moved up to 7th) When an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you.

SUPERIOR HUNTER’S DEFENSE
At 15th level, you gain one of the following features of your choice.

Hunter’s Ward. You are immune to poison and disease.

Stand Against the Tide. When a hostile creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to force that creature to repeat the same attack against another creature (other than itself) of your choice.

Iron Will. You cannot be frightened.

BEAST MASTER

COMPANION TRAINING
Your commitment to the beast master lifestyle allows you to bond with more dangerous animals. Starting at 3rd level, you can bond with a beast with a challenge rating as high as 1 (you ignore the Max. CR column of the Beast Companions table, but must abide by the other limitations there). In addition, you add your proficiency bonus to the beast’s AC, attack rolls, and damage rolls, as well as to any saving throws and skills it is proficient in. Its hit point maximum equals its normal maximum or four times your ranger level, whichever is higher.

IMPROVED COMPANIONS
Starting at 7th level, you can bond with a beast with a challenge rating as high as your ranger level divided by 3, rounded down.

BESTIAL STRIKE
Starting at 11th level, your companion’s attacks count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Spacehamster
2015-09-22, 10:10 AM
Seems legit to me. :) although I would prob only let the level 20 feature add wis to damage not to to hit with bounded accuracy and all that jazz. :)

Malifice
2015-09-22, 10:30 AM
I dont like forcing companions on people that dont want them. I'd ditch it.

Favored enemy should just be +wisdom to damage. More meaningful without breaking anything. Capstone is just +wisdom to hit favored enemies.

I'd ditch the companion, and work expertise in two skills from the Rangers list in there.

I would keep it as an action for you to command your beast to attack, but expresly allow the ranger to make a single weapon attack as a bonus action in any turn he spends ordering the beast. This keeps (ranger makes full attack + animal uses multiattack) cheese down.

Finally, I would provide the option for the spell less ranger at 2nd level.

Lord Il Palazzo
2015-09-22, 10:31 AM
I can see how it would work. My problem would be that most of the beast companion power-up seems to be in allowing the ranger to trade up to better companions at higher levels. If I'm playing a ranger, I'm probably pretty attached to my "companion" and don't like the idea of having to trade it in for a better one to stay competitive. "Sorry Wolf-from-the-pack-that-raised me, I have a new friend now. Come on, Crocodile-I-just-met! There's adventure to be had!"

Also is the "Limitations" column of the table meant to apply here? It seems a bit silly not to allow a ranger to have a hawk as a companion until level 9 just because it flies, when a wizard can get one as a familiar at level 1.

weaseldust
2015-09-22, 11:18 AM
The beast companion is too much at low levels. At level 3, your Beastmaster can deal 2d6+3 damage with their own weapon and then command their dire wolf to deal 2d6+3 of its own as a bonus action. That's effectively twice the damage of any other character at that level. Even the Hunter can deal 50% more than a character of their level should using their beast.

You can't compare the beast companion to the Druid's Wild Shape because both the beast and Ranger are present at the same time, and can both attack, whereas a Druid can either be a beast or a Druid but not both.

I like most of the other changes, especially to the Hunter archetype.

I would allow Primeval Awareness to give you information about number (maybe only 'none', 'no more than 10', 'more than 10') and direction. Or reduce its range. Otherwise, it can't really provide useful information.

Full disclosure: I'm writing up a (more revisionist) alternative Ranger of my own at the moment. I found that beast companions needed a lot of care.

Mara
2015-09-22, 11:31 AM
The math I have seen has not indicated that the ranger needs fixing. Why buff?

TopCheese
2015-09-22, 01:32 PM
The math I have seen has not indicated that the ranger needs fixing. Why buff?

BM needs a lot of optimization to get right.

Edit: Or level 11, which most people don't ever see.