PDA

View Full Version : Riding with a shield and spear

Albions_Angel
2015-09-22, 09:08 AM
Hi all,

I wondered what the requirements were for riding with a spear and shield. I know you need to make a ride 10 if you want to goad your mount to attack AS WELL AS attacking yourself, but whats the rule on shields on horseback? Is it buckler only? If it is, do you get its benefit? Whats the deal?

Fouredged Sword
2015-09-22, 09:38 AM
You need to make the guide with knees check, a DC 5 ride check.

You can wield any shield on a mount, and there is a riding shield that boosts your mounts AC as well.

The game assumes that anyone with max first level ranks in ride can ride while wielding anything in each hand as normal. Riding bareback does increase the effective DC to 10, but a millitary saddle makes it a laughable 3, so even a DEX 6 dwarven knight in full plate won't fail after rolling a 1.

Jeraa
2015-09-22, 11:01 AM
The game assumes that anyone with max first level ranks in ride can ride while wielding anything in each hand as normal. Riding bareback does increase the effective DC to 10, but a millitary saddle makes it a laughable 3, so even a DEX 6 dwarven knight in full plate won't fail after rolling a 1.

The bonus from a military saddle only applies to checks made to stay in the saddle. It has no effect on the check to guide with your knees or fight with the warhorse.

Albions_Angel
2015-09-22, 12:52 PM
How does unhorsing work? So say a rider gets into close combat with a guy on the ground, and the guy on the ground tries to unhorse him, would that be an opposed strength check, a strength vs ride check?

Deadline
2015-09-22, 01:31 PM
How does unhorsing work? So say a rider gets into close combat with a guy on the ground, and the guy on the ground tries to unhorse him, would that be an opposed strength check, a strength vs ride check?

I'd assume this would be represented by either a Trip attempt or a Grapple attempt (on the rider). If the Trip attempt is successful, then the rider is down, and if the Grapple is successful, the the rider is pulled into the Grappler's square. Either way, he's off the horse.

Fouredged Sword
2015-09-22, 07:31 PM
I'd assume this would be represented by either a Trip attempt or a Grapple attempt (on the rider). If the Trip attempt is successful, then the rider is down, and if the Grapple is successful, the the rider is pulled into the Grappler's square. Either way, he's off the horse.

One could also bullrush him off his mount, in theory.