PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 1st Level Wizard Spells

Zanthy1
2015-09-22, 11:20 AM
What are some of your favorite/more useful 1st level wizard spells? I am making an Eldritch Knight and cannot decide! My cantrips I took are True Strike and Blade Ward plus either Minor Illusion or Firebolt (Bonus cantrip from being a High Elf). I took the Dueling combat style, intending to be a lightly armored rapier high dex character. I am interested in spells that won't have me as a blaster, but could still be handy in combat. Your thoughts?

P.S. I haven't been on these forums in such a long time, this is my first time on since 5e came out! It's great to be back, but I may need some clarification on any abbreviations you may use. Thanks!

Citan
2015-09-22, 11:32 AM
What are some of your favorite/more useful 1st level wizard spells? I am making an Eldritch Knight and cannot decide! My cantrips I took are True Strike and Blade Ward plus either Minor Illusion or Firebolt (Bonus cantrip from being a High Elf). I took the Dueling combat style, intending to be a lightly armored rapier high dex character. I am interested in spells that won't have me as a blaster, but could still be handy in combat. Your thoughts?

P.S. I haven't been on these forums in such a long time, this is my first time on since 5e came out! It's great to be back, but I may need some clarification on any abbreviations you may use. Thanks!
Hi :)

Didn't play Wizard for a very long time (not high level), but I loved Find Familiar ('cause I love familiars, and they are very useful, plus it's a ritual).
Also Magic Missiles: very lackluster in terms of pure damage, and bad scaling, but the fact that it's sure-to-hit against 90% of the creatures makes it a blast to dispatch (or severely weaken) a single enemy at first levels, or clean a few minions. Saved a few allies with this. ^^ Probably never used past first tier I guess though?
Third one is Chromatic Orb, just because I love versatile spells (choosing element among 5 is very nice). Again, loses utility with time because it scales decently but you learn much better damage-dealing spells at later levels. Can still has its uses in some situations or builds I guess.
Absorb Elements, didn't have the chance to play with it but I'd surely take it for a melee-oriented caster (multiclass Wizard, Eldricht Knight or Rogue Trickster).

Apart from that and the usual Shield/Mage Armor, I'd say it depends on your playstyle and team you're working with. :)

TopCheese
2015-09-22, 11:32 AM

Drop blade ward and true strike, you don't really need them. Pick up a utility cantrip like mage hand.

How high is your Int?

Shocking grasp, frostbite, and firebolt are good offensive choices for cantrips.

Absorb Elements can be nice, as can mage armor or earth tremor (+action surge...).

Mage Armor: 13 + dex 5 + shield 2 + shield spell +5 is a fun combo.

Zanthy1
2015-09-22, 11:45 AM
Drop blade wars and true strike, you don't really need them. Pick up a utility cantrip like mage hand.

How high is your Int?

Shocking grasp, frostbite, and firebolt are good offensive choices for cantrips.

Absorb Elements can be nice, as can mage armor or earth tremor (+action surge...).

Mage Armor: 13 + dex 5 + shield 2 + shield spell +5 is a fun combo.

My Int is 16. And Absorb Elements doesn't appear to in the PHB, which means I cannot use it (only book allowed currently). Mage Armor I do like, and Shield spell can be useful, however I do really like the cantrips of true strike/blade ward because as an Eldritch Knight I can cast a cantrip on my turn without costing an action, so depending if I want to hit something for sure, or protect myself I can choose between the 2. Mage hand will probably replace my other cantrip choices though, because that actually is a really good spell.

Citan
2015-09-22, 11:47 AM
I am making an Eldritch Knight and cannot decide! My cantrips I took are True Strike and Blade Ward plus either Minor Illusion or Firebolt (Bonus cantrip from being a High Elf). I took the Dueling combat style, intending to be a lightly armored rapier high dex character. I am interested in spells that won't have me as a blaster, but could still be handy in combat. Your thoughts?

Shoot sorry didn't see you intended to play a close combat duelist Eldricht Knight.
Then I concur with Top Cheese on the cantrips True Strike and Blade Ward. They look nice, but the fact that it costs you an action is a bit sad. And since you go high DEX Fighter you should have nice chance to hit and nice defense anyways. Drop at least one of them for Mage Hand, very useful. :)

So, for a dueling character, I'd suggest
- Mage Armor, only if you want to wear light armor, since you go high Dex, otherwise don't bother.
- Magic Missiles: it is efficient even with low/medium INT, so you can weaken your prey before coming close contact to finish it.
- Shield if you want extra defense, or
- Expeditious Retreat: allows you to be extra mobile (uses bonus action and Concentration though, so not good if you go dual-wield). Very good combined with Mobile feat to become a hit-and-run deadly striker.
- Find Familiar: because that's always good for any build.
- Thunderwave (if you have good INT): perfect way to damage enemies and escape being surrounded (without AoO) at the same time.
- Burning Hands (if you have good INT): because it's always a good area damage spell.

Don't forget you must take at least 2 spells from evocation and abjuration on the three spells you learn, though.

Zanthy1
2015-09-22, 11:56 AM
Shoot sorry didn't see you intended to play a close combat duelist Eldricht Knight.
Then I concur with Top Cheese on the cantrips True Strike and Blade Ward. They look nice, but the fact that it costs you an action is a bit sad. And since you go high DEX Fighter you should have nice chance to hit and nice defense anyways. Drop at least one of them for Mage Hand, very useful. :)

So, for a dueling character, I'd suggest
- Mage Armor, only if you want to wear light armor, since you go high Dex, otherwise don't bother.
- Magic Missiles: it is efficient even with low/medium INT, so you can weaken your prey before coming close contact to finish it.
- Shield if you want extra defense, or
- Expeditious Retreat: allows you to be extra mobile (uses bonus action and Concentration though, so not good if you go dual-wield). Very good combined with Mobile feat to become a hit-and-run deadly striker.
- Find Familiar: because that's always good for any build.
- Thunderwave (if you have good INT): perfect way to damage enemies and escape being surrounded (without AoO) at the same time.
- Burning Hands (if you have good INT): because it's always a good area damage spell.

Don't forget you must take at least 2 spells from evocation and abjuration on the three spells you learn, though.

I will take Mage Hand. And are you sure its at least 2? I thought it was all. However, would you recommend Burning Hands over Chromatic Orb?

What I'm looking at now for 1st level spells are:
Mage Armor (would give better AC than any armor I can afford)
Shield (For that "Oh Crap!" moment)
Thunderwave (For that "Oh Crap, I'm surrounded!" moment)
And Chromatic Orb for that versatile ranged attack just in case.

And the bonus cantrip doesn't cost an action for Eldritch Knight, I can move, use a cantrip, and attack all in the same turn.

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-22, 12:00 PM
I won't outright agree that you shouldn't take true strike and blade ward, but I would consider carefully the circumstances in which you want to use them.

True Strike is not good for your bog-standard weapon attacks. Even once you get War Magic, attacking twice is better than attacking once at advantage. You should look into using True Strike for the cases where you have a single powerful spell or attack that costs you resources and you don't want to waste. If you can't come up with a good case, I wouldn't use True Strike.

With regards to Blade Ward: Blade Ward has some interesting utility for EK, but I don't think it comes in until War Magic. Remember that Blade Ward competes with the Dodge action - if you're casting the cantrip only as an action, Dodge is probably better. Once you get War Magic, blade ward would let you attack once per turn while also being very tough. If that's the only reason want blade ward, though, there's no reason to get it until you get War Magic.

And the bonus cantrip doesn't cost an action for Eldritch Knight, I can move, use a cantrip, and attack all in the same turn.

Once you get War Magic, you can cast a cantrip and then make one weapon attack. That is not the same as the Attack action - you don't get any benefit from Extra Attack.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-22, 12:12 PM
We had this exact same conversation last week. :smalltongue:

In my opinion, Shield and Find Familiar are clear winners; everything else is up to you.

Coidzor
2015-09-22, 12:19 PM
Eldritch Knights can get familiars? Nifty.

Paeleus
2015-09-22, 12:24 PM
Being a frontliner, Shocking Grasp is a must have cantrip. I can't tell you the number times it has saved my bacon when I needed to get away from a big baddie. The amazing thing about it is that it takes away their reaction (Oppurrunity Attacks) allowing you to walk away safely. Add in the fact that you have advantage against enemies in metal armor and you have yourself a really handy cantrip.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-22, 12:25 PM
Eldritch Knights can get familiars? Nifty.

Yep. EKs and ATs get one pick from their 'banned' schools at level 3. They can't cast it as a ritual, but they don't really need to, as long as they make sure it doesn't die too often.

TopCheese
2015-09-22, 12:39 PM
It's sad you are stuck to phb, the EK really excels when you add in Elemental Evils.

Out of all the classes EK grows the most with that book as it is full of some fantastic Evocation spells. Druids and other casters already have awesome spells and it makes them more awesome, yes, but you are adding so much utility to the EK through evocation spells.

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-22, 01:35 PM
Being a frontliner, Shocking Grasp is a must have cantrip. I can't tell you the number times it has saved my bacon when I needed to get away from a big baddie. The amazing thing about it is that it takes away their reaction (Oppurrunity Attacks) allowing you to walk away safely. Add in the fact that you have advantage against enemies in metal armor and you have yourself a really handy cantrip.

I would further expand on this and say that as an EK, you want to take things that allow you to do something you don't already do. Your bread and butter is going to be your weapon attacks - think of the cantrips which will be better than weapon attacks for some situations. Your cantrips will never do more raw DPR than weapon attacks, but they might have some handy utility (attacking a weak save, providing some secondary effect like shocking grasp, allowing you to attack at range...)

It's sad you are stuck to phb, the EK really excels when you add in Elemental Evils.

Out of all the classes EK grows the most with that book as it is full of some fantastic Evocation spells. Druids and other casters already have awesome spells and it makes them more awesome, yes, but you are adding so much utility to the EK through evocation spells.

I don't think that EE makes the EK better - you don't get more spells known and the EE spells are pretty well balanced. It does give a lot more options, though.

As a DM, I don't blanket allow EE content in my games, but I do more or less allow it for my EK player just because the spell selection in the PHB is so very limited.

Daishain
2015-09-22, 01:45 PM
My top 3 picks for First level EK spells: Shield, Find Familiar, Thunderwave. For cantrips, Mage Hand, Shocking Grasp, or Minor Illusion. Fire bolt is decent if you don't have the Dex for a longbow.

When you get up to 2nd level spells, there really isn't much that stands out in the evo/abj schools, but that one spell outside of those categories has a lot of competition. I'd say Misty Step wins out, with Mirror Image a close second.

Citan
2015-09-22, 03:30 PM
I will take Mage Hand. And are you sure its at least 2? I thought it was all. However, would you recommend Burning Hands over Chromatic Orb?

What I'm looking at now for 1st level spells are:
Shield (For that "Oh Crap!" moment)
Thunderwave (For that "Oh Crap, I'm surrounded!" moment)
And Chromatic Orb for that versatile ranged attack just in case.

Ok, sorry all for not quoting you, but please OP note that I agree with all pixies that posted since my previous post. :)

Also, at first lvl it's indeed 3 spells, 2 of which having to be chosen from Abjuration (shields and such) and Evocation spells.

For Burning Hands/Chromatic Orb, really up to you, depends on your build and playstyle.
1. Chromatic Orb is useful against all enemies, but it's a single attack, and depends on INT. So if you have high DEX and decent INT, it may be better to carry a bow for ranged options, unless you like the idea of launching elemental spell for sheer fun. :).
2. If you have low/decent INT, any area spell will be a better option mechanically wise since it means more targets, so less chance to totally waste your cast.
3. Burning Hands is the best potential area damage, whereas Thunderwave provides a potential panic button to escape surround (again, if you have decent to good INT).

Reason why I'd rather second (or third?) the Thunderwave spell, only if you have decent/hight INT AND you don't plan on taking the Mobile feat (which is a free and consistent way to disengage from up to two opponents, which is enough for most cases). If you plan on getting Mobile feat but still want an attack spell, Burning Hands is probably the best choice efficiency-wise.

Also, for "off-school" spell, I third Find Familiar when you can (either now or at next level), unless you're really not interested because you don't want managing a pet. Same as Mage Hand, you can use it in many RP situations. Unless Mage Hand, it's also very useful to scout, and use can use it to deliver melee range spells (Shocking Grasp, Bestow Curse, Vampiric Touch as range spells. Isn't it an attractive perspective? :)).

With that said, you current choice of Shield + Thunderwave seems fine with me. Just don't forget that you have only 2 slots at first level. In my opinion, because of that Mage Armor is a bit controversial: once you cast Mage Armor you only have one slot left for the day.
That's why taking Mage Armor is good but a bit costly. If your DEX is 14, it's useless. If it's 16, it's a solid choice but you could also "take the risk" to get another spell instead and wait to get good armor. If it's Dex 18, then it's indeed a no-brainer choice since you'have a very good AC from lvl 1 onwards. :)

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-22, 03:44 PM
Ok, sorry all for not quoting you, but please OP note that I agree with all pixies that posted since my previous post. :)

I'll have you know that I am a faerie, thank you very much. :smallannoyed:

With that said, you current choice of Shield + Thunderwave seems fine with me. Just don't forget that you have only 2 slots at first level. In my opinion, because of that Mage Armor is a bit controversial: once you cast Mage Armor you only have one slot left for the day.
That's why taking Mage Armor is good but a bit costly. If your DEX is 14, it's useless. If it's 16, it's a solid choice but you could also "take the risk" to get another spell instead and wait to get good armor. If it's Dex 18, then it's indeed a no-brainer choice since you'have a very good AC from lvl 1 onwards. :)

I agree with this. Since Dex is the OP's primary stat, it stands to reason that they'll have a lot of it. It's hard to argue against maxing it out as quickly as possible, really. Therefore Mage Armour is a useful spell, especially once they've got a few more spell slots.

Daishain
2015-09-22, 06:22 PM
Wait, what?

Unless you have a Dex of 18 or 20 already, the starting equipment package for fighters includes armor that beats the Mage Armor spell. Is your DM making you forgo even the starting wealth and equipment?

TopCheese
2015-09-22, 06:42 PM
Wait, what?

Unless you have a Dex of 18 or 20 already, the starting equipment package for fighters includes armor that beats the Mage Armor spell. Is your DM making you forgo even the starting wealth and equipment?

Dumping str means that a fighter would choose the leather armor + bow. Leather armor is 11 + dex while the mage armor is 13 + dex.

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-22, 08:50 PM
Dumping str means that a fighter would choose the leather armor + bow. Leather armor is 11 + dex while the mage armor is 13 + dex.

Also notable is that mage armor allows a dex-based character to get identical AC to a plate-wearer eventually, which otherwise cannot be done.

Daishain
2015-09-22, 08:51 PM
Also notable is that mage armor allows a dex-based character to get identical AC to a plate-wearer eventually, which otherwise cannot be done.
Without burning a feat on MAM at any rate.

djreynolds
2015-09-23, 06:32 AM
Though easily defended with brooches and shield spells, magic missile is helpful. Its an automatic hit. That's helpful. I have missed too many times an enemy because of a bad roll on a cantrip. Whereas that magic missile would've hit. But for wizards sake, buy scrolls and share spells with other casters. But I always have magic missile prepared now.

Citan
2015-09-23, 07:50 AM
Though easily defended with brooches and shield spells, magic missile is helpful. Its an automatic hit. That's helpful. I have missed too many times an enemy because of a bad roll on a cantrip. Whereas that magic missile would've hit. But for wizards sake, buy scrolls and share spells with other casters. But I always have magic missile prepared now.
That's exactly why I recommended it, especially for a non-primary caster. :)

@OP: as a general rule, unless you plan on maxing INT or you made extra lucky roll for starting stats (like starting with 16+ INT), favor INT-independent spells, since INT dependent (attacks roll / saving throw) may fail you too often to your taste. :)

PoeticDwarf
2015-09-23, 08:22 AM
Shield and mage armor, giving you 1-6 AC more every round for (a part of) your slots.

TopCheese
2015-09-23, 08:25 AM
Shield and mage armor, giving you 1-6 AC more every round for (a part of) your slots.

Typically if someone has 1st least 13 Int and is Dex based I'll recommend Magic Initiate (Mage Hand, Light, and Mage Armor)

Citan
2015-09-23, 09:04 AM
Typically if someone has 1st least 13 Int and is Dex based I'll recommend Magic Initiate (Mage Hand, Light, and Mage Armor)

You're very right. This is a very intelligent way to get Mage Armor without hampering usual Eldricht Knight spellcasting (it lasts 8 hour so you'd cast only once a day even if it was a normal spell).

And you also get it as soon as lvl1 if you go Variant Human.
IF OP is not going whatever Elf (or other race that increases DEX or INT by 2), I definitely second this. :)

TopCheese
2015-09-23, 10:17 AM
You're very right. This is a very intelligent way to get Mage Armor without hampering usual Eldricht Knight spellcasting (it lasts 8 hour so you'd cast only once a day even if it was a normal spell).

And you also get it as soon as lvl1 if you go Variant Human.
IF OP is not going whatever Elf (or other race that increases DEX or INT by 2), I definitely second this. :)

As a dex based fighter (high HP) I would even think to wait a level and pick up Magic Initiate for mage armor.

Weird yes but this can allow you to get all the offensive cantrips you want/need, a utility cantrip or two, and Mage Armor.

Huh, a High Elf EK w/ magic initiate would have a ton of cantrips lol

Inevitability
2015-09-23, 03:03 PM

I still wonder why people keep thinking that low-strength characters shouldn't wear heavy armor. It's only a speed penalty, people! Just cast Longstrider or buy a cheap mount, if you really hate slowing the party down.

Vogonjeltz
2015-09-23, 04:04 PM

Well, bearing in mind the restrictions (2/3 are Evocation or Abjuration and the third can be any);

Maybe for the third: Sleep, Expeditious Retreat, or Tasha's Hideous Laughter
With Thunderwave + Shield for the primaries. AoE is probably best as otherwise you're likely to deal more damage just using the attack action.