PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How do you handle forgetful players and information?

killem2
2015-09-22, 12:25 PM
You know the typical stuff, you given your players a bunch of info, some of it might be fluff some might be clues to where they need to go. Certain names, places etc and of course your players forget when it comes time.

What do you do?

MyrPsychologist
2015-09-22, 12:28 PM
I like to use a brief recap to start sessions. I also utilize a FB group for the campaign where i make summary posts and encourage discussions. I do my best to also encourage players to write down important information or things that they want to investigate further. The last one is probably the least successful.

Strigon
2015-09-22, 01:17 PM
Everything above, plus redundancy after redundancy after redundancy.
Beat them over the head with the same information whenever they seem to have forgotten, and it'll eventually sink in.

Sian
2015-09-22, 01:25 PM
In the groups I've been in, we tended to have a diarist (just as we have someone shopping before (and running a book about who've paid how much to a communial box for stuff and who might be in debt), someone that cooks, someone that hosts, and if need be someone to clean up after dinner if the host doesn't have a dishwasher) who while dinner is being made and after each session makes sure its writen down what happened, who we've met and talked to, where we're currently going and why we're going there.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-22, 01:31 PM
What was the question again? :smallwink:

Seriously though, if it is something the character might be able to remember even though the player forgot I usually offer them an Intelligence roll.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-09-22, 01:48 PM
I find a recap at the start of the session helps a lot. Making sure things have names actually helps a lot too. I was doing fine in the campaign I am in until we ended session in a city with no name. Then I thought we were in a city a week away because that was the last name I could remember.

Trasilor
2015-09-22, 02:34 PM
I use several things to help encourage players good bookeeping.

First, I generally try and write a brief campaign log via Obsidian Portal. I do this for both myself and the players as I try and recall what they previously did. However, this is just an overview.

For details I use a few tricks.

1) I try and use the same NPCs for the characters. This generally works if the characters are not trotting around the globe on their epic adventure. Basically, the Gorman, the apothecary a grumbling old man with stooped shoulders and cane who constantly smells of sandalwood, will be the one who is constantly running into the PCs. :smallamused:

2) Focus less on names and more on who or what the NPCs / Places are. Human memory works better when we associate to a thing rather than a static name. For instance, it is easier to remember to talk to the baker than it is to talk to some guy named Baker (see this TED talk (http://www.ted.com/talks/joshua_foer_feats_of_memory_anyone_can_do) on this concept).

3) Rule of three. For any clue or otherwise important event, I give players at least three clues that point them in that direction. See this blog (http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/7949/roleplaying-games/node-based-scenario-design-part-1-the-plotted-approach) about it.

4) Reward players that remember. Like others, I take 10 minutes to recap. Players who contribute to the recap get a reward. For my game it is a re-roll chip. Players turn in the chip (literally a poker chip) to allow them to reroll a d20. It's a use it or lose it chip.

Honest Tiefling
2015-09-22, 03:14 PM
So as I and another DM found out, not everyone is familiar with ancient Greek or Japanese names. Who knew!

If the players forget, I just give it to them again. The characters would know the major places. Enough repetitions and they'll get it. Making a map or other visual reference can also help. This is going to vary, but those with bad memories aren't going to find it fun to be punished or less rewarded if they are still invested in the game but cannot remember names, so I wouldn't do that. My players want to relax and have fun, so if they forget the name of the queen but remember her agenda I'm actually okay with that.

killem2
2015-09-22, 03:26 PM
Cool, Cool. I might have been too hard on the group, I usually say it once and then if you didn't listen I ask for a DC 15 intelligence check.

I suppose in the long run, it is honestly harmless, and doesn't take a lot of time to remind them of things. I hate breaking immersion if I can help it at all lol.

Honest Tiefling
2015-09-22, 03:29 PM
Cool, Cool. I might have been too hard on the group, I usually say it once and then if you didn't listen I ask for a DC 15 intelligence check.

I suppose in the long run, it is honestly harmless, and doesn't take a lot of time to remind them of things. I hate breaking immersion if I can help it at all lol.

I am also hard of hearing (as are others)...Which is how an NPC named Zeal Dawnbrand was thought to be Cealdon Brand. That got confusing.

I suggest taking it easy, its a lot of names many of which are foreign or odd sounding. However, if it gets to the point where your enjoyment is seriously impacted because no one remembers ANYTHING, you need to sit them down. Maybe they have genuine issues with memory. Maybe they want to get to the fighty parts. Maybe they have a lot of stress in other areas. But I would handle an OOC problem OOC, else it makes the characters seem like idiots.

carrdrivesyou
2015-09-22, 04:14 PM
Something I have always found to be useful has been handouts. When I was a PFS DM, The adventure modules came with handouts for the players (mostly faction stuff). But spending a little extra time on making 2 or 3 small snippets to give to them for riddles, pictures of encounters, or even for NPCs helps to make the adventure more memorable.

I've even made these for myself because I have forgotten critical encounter points before.

Just my thoughts,
-Carr

Jay R
2015-09-22, 08:51 PM
In my current game, there are at least three important magic items which the players have forgotten, because they didn't allocate them immediately. I intend to remind the party about them immediately after a fight in which they would have been extremely useful.

Because that represents human life as I have experienced it.

Psyren
2015-09-22, 09:33 PM
Reward the player who writes it down for everyone else - there's usually one. They get bonus XP or something. The ones who hate keeping track of things either won't care or will want to help in some other way, while the ones who are on the fence about it will get encouraged to also take notes.

jiriku
2015-09-22, 09:55 PM
I maintain a campaign gazette for my players, which is basically a list of every important person, place, or thing that I think it worth remembering, with a one or two-sentence description for each one. I update it and resend it to them periodically during long campaigns. Also, after noticing how hard it is to remember made-up names for things in other people's games, I'm trying to transition to descriptive names: "Sillain Athenam from the Plains of Calish" is needlessly hard to remember when I can instead use "Rush Stormshadow from the Plains of Gold". The latter name is still plenty "fantasy-sounding," but it's easier for the brain to latch onto and recall.

killem2
2015-09-22, 10:09 PM
I maintain a campaign gazette for my players, which is basically a list of every important person, place, or thing that I think it worth remembering, with a one or two-sentence description for each one. I update it and resend it to them periodically during long campaigns. Also, after noticing how hard it is to remember made-up names for things in other people's games, I'm trying to transition to descriptive names: "Sillain Athenam from the Plains of Calish" is needlessly hard to remember when I can instead use "Rush Stormshadow from the Plains of Gold". The latter name is still plenty "fantasy-sounding," but it's easier for the brain to latch onto and recall.

very cool. I think I will incorporate this too

Jay R
2015-09-23, 10:53 AM
Reward the player who writes it down for everyone else - there's usually one. They get bonus XP or something. The ones who hate keeping track of things either won't care or will want to help in some other way, while the ones who are on the fence about it will get encouraged to also take notes.

I'm the player who writes everything down, and I don't need the DM to reward me. Keeping track of everything rewards me. I'm currently wearing a Brooch of Shielding because everybody else forgot about it. And I've arranged two very good trades because I know what everyone else has.

SimonMoon6
2015-09-23, 11:02 AM
I find pictures help. People may not remember names, but show them a picture (or painted miniature) and then when they see it again, they'll go, "Oh, yeah, I HATE that guy" or whatever.

Also, in some games, I'd give bonus xp for player's creating various recaps. One player might write up a summary of what just happened (giving me a nice "log" of the game from that character's perspective), another character might draw pictures of what just happened, etc. They tend to remember the details better that way.

hewhosaysfish
2015-09-23, 02:48 PM
I suggest taking it easy, its a lot of names many of which are foreign or odd sounding.

I feel I should mention Shamus Young's suggested solution (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=854).

Darth Ultron
2015-09-23, 08:59 PM
You know the typical stuff, you given your players a bunch of info, some of it might be fluff some might be clues to where they need to go. Certain names, places etc and of course your players forget when it comes time.

What do you do?

They forget and suffer the consequences.

I do encourage players to write things down.

ekarney
2015-09-23, 10:56 PM
My players are usually reminding me.

But in the rare case that they do forget, and I miraculously remember, aside from a brief recap at every session, i'll give them a bit of a nudge, and may remind them directly, seeing as their characters are at least currently, capable of remembering.

killem2
2015-09-29, 11:36 AM
For this first session I put everything on roll20 notes.

I hope this will encourage them to do the same now.

Brion
2015-09-29, 11:48 AM
I had this problem while DMing and pretty much just offered Intelligence checks when they wanted to recall some information that I had given them. Eventually they got the hint and started writing things down.

However as a player, I have always kept a fairly detailed log of names, events, and places to track the plot. I intend with my next character to take this from a generic log of random comments made by me to make this a character diary, writing all the events through his eyes as he adventures. I actually find this to be especially cool/creepy if the character dies, as the journal will end abruptly like Balin's journal in Moria. We also nominate another player to be the armorer who keeps track of our group loot (aka, no one can/wants to use it) as we crawl through a dungeon.

bean illus
2015-09-29, 12:21 PM
Two things.

Visual aids, including a flow chart on the wall of known info, with pictures. The visuals are made by most players, with somebodys sketching and others reminding, etc.

Also, any character who keeps an in character diary gets a 10% exp bonus.

I also give bonuses for a vote each session. Each player vote s three categories:

MVP IC
MVP OC
Best Roleplay.

Those 3 things help keep things tight.

Ferronach
2015-09-29, 12:29 PM
In my groups, we usually have a designated "writier of things" and a back-up in case the primamry is unable to make the session or forgets.
The writer is a volunteer and so is the back-up and can be swapped out if they no longer wish to do the job.

My latest groups are really big on making nicknames for the NPCs and cities, the BBEG and so on. Heck, I turned the DMS countries into America and RUssia and Cuba and used the missile crisis to explain what was going on to a player! DM was not happy but everyone understoood my exploanation better hahaha.

As a DM I try to come up with memorable names (sorry Bob) and give them maps. If they need to talk to such n such in so n so's place, I might give them a torn piece of parchment with the names on it.
Having someone write things down helps and, if it is vital, I will remind them if they flat out forget.

Something that I came up with as a player and now recommend to my players when I DM is to keep a log of all people that you encounter. Write down the name, location, type of person (NPC, BBEG, Damsel in distress, etc.), defining features/characteristics, apparent importance to the story line and then a quick blurb about interactions with them. It sounds like a lot but does not really take all that long and can be a time saver in the future.

Flickerdart
2015-09-29, 12:30 PM
Your players might forget, but their PCs wouldn't. INT, WIS, or Knowledge checks save the day.

killem2
2015-10-01, 01:25 PM
Your players might forget, but their PCs wouldn't. INT, WIS, or Knowledge checks save the day.

What is the DC you usually use?

Flickerdart
2015-10-01, 02:05 PM
What is the DC you usually use?
There is a table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#difficultyClass) for estimating DCs. Remembering the name of the city you were in yesterday is either an Easy (5) or Very Easy (0) task. If you want to have fun with it, make the DC 1 so that someone with a Wis or Int penalty will occasionally not make the check.

prufock
2015-10-01, 03:19 PM
We do a few things. First, we have a Facebook group where we chat about our ongoing and upcoming games, so it keeps things relatively fresh.

Second, before each session I go around the table and ask each person to tell me something that happened last game, and we do a little 5- or 10-minute reconstruction.

Quertus
2015-10-01, 10:02 PM
Agreement on the recap.

However, I prefer to have the *players* do the recap, while I just sit there and listen. I love hearing what they think is important, and what they do and do not remember. It appeals to the dark places in my heart helps me be a better DM.

If they say anything wrong, I either
a) correct it, if it is something their characters realistically should not possibly be able to get wrong, or that was reasonably "with the distractions of real life, the hard-of-hearing player misheard, whereas their maxed-out-listen character couldn't possibly have misheard"
b) chuckle maniacally (inwardly) as the characters have planted the seeds of their own doom.

If "b" is the case, I do leniently try to give them the opportunity to find out that they are wrong. One party took to (effectively) having periodic in-character recap sessions, with the major NPCs present, so that the NPCs could occasionally correct them when they had misinformation ("actually, I never cast Detect Good on the mayor. Why would you think I did?" "Bob said you already tested the most important person." "... I meant myself." "Oh.")

When I am the forgetful player... While I like recaps, they rarely help, since I'm often the only one who notices certain pertinent details. This gets interesting in games where each player is given different information - the recap gives players a second chance to disseminate that information, although if even one player forgets a detail - or fails to realize that a detail might be important - the recap can easily "fail" at its mission. Worse, you can get a consummate roleplayer like myself, who has a pertinent piece of information, but whose character has no reason to know that that information is relevant, and subsequently doesn't discuss "useless trivia" when there are more important things going on. "Yeah, I know there are all these murders, including your son, but did you see the baseball score last night?" is rarely a non-metagaming thing to say in character.

Visuals are great. Anything on the visual, if I forget, I can just look back at the handout/graphic/mini/map/whatever. Puzzles especially lend themselves to visuals.

Yahzi
2015-10-02, 07:19 AM
If the players forget, I just give it to them again. The characters would know the major places.
Exactly right. What matters is what the characters remember. That's why it's called role-playing.

Vhaidara
2015-10-02, 09:43 AM
Well, my campaign setting is a little odd, since the guy who the PCs work for is pretty much literally omnipotent (and, obviously, he will be the final boss, so they need to figure out how to fix that). When they asked him why he doesn't just do it, his response was "you guys are cheaper than Netflix." Its also worth noting that, by player agreement, the fourth wall collapsed four levels ago.

But so if they forget things, he just calls them out on it and insults them a little. Creatively.

If it's been a while, I'll do a "Last time, in this stupid bull****..." Recap.