PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Houserule: Weapon/Spell/Skill Focus for free. What could happen?

Totema
2015-09-22, 04:44 PM
I'm not fond of feat taxes (who is though, am I right?) and these are the feats which I see as most commonly taken on at my table with bitter resentment while waiting for more interesting options to open up. I'm considering letting my players get one of them (their choice of one) for free. However, I'm a little uncertain of the level I should give the feat to them, as well as any potential horrifying builds I could accidentally unleash upon myself. Anyone have any insight to share? :smallsmile:

Vhaidara
2015-09-22, 05:04 PM
Don't give Spell Focus for free. Spell Focus is already a really strong feat. The only place where it is a "tax" is on Augment Summoning, since saves have nothing to do with Summons. But Summons are already crazy strong, so I'd say it balances out

TiaC
2015-09-22, 05:41 PM
If you don't like feat taxes, just let your players ignore these prerequisites.

SkipSandwich
2015-09-22, 07:15 PM
I just replace the entire weapon focus/specalization tree with the following

Weapon Focus (Fighter)
Requires: BAB +1
Choose 1 weapon (or weapon group if using that varient) that you are proficient in, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls with that weapon. This bonus increases by +1 when your BAB reaches +5, and at every 5 points of BAB thereafter, up to +5 to attack and damage at BAB 20+. You may change which weapon (or weapon group) is your primary focus by spending 1 full day (at least 8 hours) in training.

Special: A Fighter may choose to focus in additional weapons equal to his Intelligence modifier(minimum +1), up to a maximum number of bonus focus weapons equal to his class level.