PDA

View Full Version : Size increases?

Matar
2015-09-22, 08:41 PM
DnD rules question for anyone reading.

Let's say I'm playing a Half-Ogre. This race gives a + to strength and also an increase to size, making you large.

Do you ALSO get these bonuses added along with it, because you're large? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm)

What about if you're a half-ogre that has a class feature that let's you be treated as huge. Would that follow that table as well?

Size increases are weird. I can't tell exactly what they add to a character =/

An Outcast with this Blemish is treated as if they were either a size larger than they actually are, or a size smaller, whichever would be better for them.

If their Warp is at least 7, they instead are treated as if they were up to 2 sizes larger or smaller.

Necroticplague
2015-09-22, 08:47 PM
By default, you only get the STR, DEX, CON, and NA modifiers if your size changes from advancing HD (i.e, if an Assassin Vine gains an extra HD, it becomes Huge, and gains those modifiers). There are some templates that specifically say otherwise, though (Half-goristro, Half-minotaur, and one version of half-ogre).

Class features and spells, by default, do not follow it. Enlarge Person, for example, wouldn't give you those bonuses on top of the ones it already gives.

Where's that quote from? Since it doesn't say otherwise, you wouldn't get the STR, DEX, CON, and NA mods, just the size modifier to combat maneuvers, hide, ac, reach, carrying capacity, and squeezing. Basically, just read it as a souped-up combination of Powerful Build and Slight Build.

Matar
2015-09-22, 09:01 PM
By default, you only get the STR, DEX, CON, and NA modifiers if your size changes from advancing HD (i.e, if an Assassin Vine gains an extra HD, it becomes Huge, and gains those modifiers). There are some templates that specifically say otherwise, though (Half-goristro, Half-minotaur, and one version of half-ogre).

So the half-minotaur don't get those bonuses?

Where's that quote from? Since it doesn't say otherwise, you wouldn't get the STR, DEX, CON, and NA mods, just the size modifier to combat maneuvers, hide, ac, reach, carrying capacity, and squeezing. Basically, just read it as a souped-up combination of Powerful Build and Slight Build.

From a homebrew class called "The pariah". Thanks for your help and quick response bro!

torrasque666
2015-09-22, 09:14 PM
Nah, Half-Minotaur gets the bonuses. its kind of an OP template in some cases for melee builds. +12 Str and all.

Draconium
2015-09-22, 09:16 PM
So the half-minotaur don't get those bonuses?

Half-Minotaur explicitly states that they do. However, unless the template does just that, then they don't.

I believe that the Dragon Magazine Half-Ogre does state that, but the more recent Half-Ogre (isn't from Races of Destiny?) does not.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-22, 09:43 PM
I believe that the Dragon Magazine Half-Ogre does state that, but the more recent Half-Ogre (isn't from Races of Destiny?) does not.
Same name, but different categories. Races of Destiny (pages 96-98) Half-Ogre is a race; Dragon # 313 (pages 95-96) is a template. You can make a Half-Ogre Half-Ogre. The Half-Ogre race is Large, and the Half-Ogre template only increases size if the base race is Small or Medium.