PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Need help pricing these alchemical items.

Groggen
2015-09-22, 08:52 PM
Hi

While creating me a monk for an upcoming game, I started fiddling with some rather innocent items, but then started wondering about price (in case the DM wants to know, and allows them in the first place). I chose a custom background and ended up with an entertainer; acrobat, juggler and fire-breather extraordinaire :) I want to use alchemical items to augment my performances, and this is whar I came up with it (some ideas/phrases are borrowed from other people, so thanks go out to them):

Juggler's Fire (sticky, for use with items/juggler set).
This sticky, adhesive oil ignites when exposed to air. As an action, you can smear it on an object. When applied, the fluid will ignite and the object will be sheathed in flames. This effect does not harm the object. The object then sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. This effect lasts for 1 hour or until the object is heavily doused with water. The oil can be made to produce flames of several colors, and even provide multiple colors at once or in order.

Juggler's Fire (fluid, for use with fire breathing act).
This sweet-tasting fluid ignites when exposed to air. The effect is just nearly instantaneous, which makes it possible to «breath flames» without scorching a trained user. «Breathing flames» in this way makes it possible to do the trick without an igniter (like a torch), as opposed to when using alcohol as the fuel.

Sparkly ointment (viscous, for use with items/juggler set)
This viscous salve can be applied to any object, organic or otherwise, and will harden in a short time. Once hardened, any object coated with this can be «lit on fire» and the salve will produce sparkles like those of a sparkler or bengal matches. This effect produces no heat and is harmless. The object then sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. This effect lasts for 1 hour or until the object is heavily doused with water. The salve can be made to produce flames of several colors, and even provide multiple colors at once or in order.

Condensed water pellet (break glass in case of emergency)
This small pellet is comprised of a high density chilled water source and is used to extinguish flames. When smashed against a surface, an area of 5x5 feet will be immediately soaked and chilled to such an extent that an alchemical fire will be put out almost instantaneously.

Smoke bomb
As an action, you can throw this round pellet that shatters on impact to spark an alchemical reaction. When shattered thick, gray smoke billows rapidly out of it, heavily obscuring the area within a 5-foot radius in a matter of seconds. The smoke doesn't rise or sink, but it disperses on its own after 2 rounds. Moderately fast wind (at least 10 mph) disperses the cloud early. The pellet is too light to be thrown farther than 20 feet on its own. Any creature fully in this cloud can move out of the obscured area without triggering an Opportunity attack.

The pricing might not even come up in the game, but I would nevertheless greatly appreciate any feedback both on this and the items themselves.

PS! If you can think of similar items, that would be great as well :smallsmile:

manny2510
2015-09-22, 10:05 PM
Easy there with that water pellet, that is remarkably similar to dust of dryness. A gas quenching system would be more balanced.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 01:15 AM
Cool items! None of these are going to be that expensive, probably not more than 25-50gp. Which makes them great things to craft in a few days of downtime!

I'll have a closer look in a minute and add a few of my own that I developed for a game I'm running at the moment.

Alchemists need more things to craft!

Edit

Ninja_Prawn's Valuation Services
Juggler's Fire (sticky, for use with items/juggler set). Valuation: it's one use of the Light cantrip, in a bottle. 5gp.

Juggler's Fire (fluid, for use with fire breathing act). Valuation: fancy alcohol. 1gp per use.

Sparkly ointment (viscous, for use with items/juggler set). Valuation: mechanically the same as Juggler's Fire (sticky), except it needs to be manually lit. 5gp.

Condensed water pellet (break glass in case of emergency). Valuation: pretty cool, as a counter to Alchemist's Fire. If antitoxin costs half what poison costs, this should cost half what the fire costs. 25gp.

Smoke bomb. Valuation: similar to my fountain (below) - smaller area but easier to use. 5gp.

Ninja_Prawn's Alchemical Workshop
Blasting Charge. Alchemical compound, 200gp. This small tube is filled with a specially-formulated smokepowder, designed to break up stone. Its fuse can be set alight by any source of fire. After it has been lit, the fuse burns for 2 rounds before the charge explodes.
The explosion deals 2d6 fire damage plus 2d6 thunder damage in a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on itself, and does double damage to objects and structures (creatures caught in the blast may make a DC 13 Dexterity save in order to take half damage). Rocks and masonry caught in this blast are likely to collapse - the exact nature and consequences of such a collapse should be determined by the DM.

Firework (Fountain). Alchemical compound, 5gp. This small tube is filled with a specially-formulated smokepowder, designed to produce coloured light and smoke. Its fuse can be set alight by any source of fire. After it has been lit, the fuse burns for 2 rounds before the fountain begins to burn. It continues to do so for 5 rounds.
The fountain produces dim light in a 10-foot-radius and creates a 20-foot-radius sphere of smoke centered on itself. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. It lasts for ten minutes or until a wind of moderate or greater speed (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses it.

Firework (Rocket). Alchemical compound, 25gp. This small tube-on-a-stick is filled with a specially-formulated smokepowder, designed to produce a shower of colourful sparks. As an action, it can be planted in the ground. Once planted, its fuse can be set alight by any source of fire. After it has been lit, the fuse burns for 2 rounds before the rocket shoots up 300 feet into the air and explodes.
The explosion produces a bang that can be heard for half a mile in all directions and a shower of sparks that can be seen up to 2 miles away.
The rocket can be aimed at targets on ground level but the target must be selected when the rocket is planted. Any creatures caught within 10 feet of the blast must make a DC 13 Dexterity save or take 1d4 fire damage. Additionally, they must make a DC 10 Constitution save or be deafened for one round.

Houserule: Progress towards alchemical compounds is made in 25gp/8 hour increments. They lose their potency 1d4+4 days after they have been made.

Groggen
2015-09-23, 06:21 AM
Easy there with that water pellet, that is remarkably similar to dust of dryness. A gas quenching system would be more balanced.

First of all, thanks for the reply. My thoughts were that since it only affects alchemical fire and 1 square it would not be viable to abuse in any other way than to either quench the object with basically Light on it from one of my other concoctions, or in case of mishaps with my fire-breathing show. Basically a fire extinguisher. Not sure how I would word it differently, so I'll probably just clarify with my DM what its use is.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 06:29 AM
First of all, thanks for the reply. My thoughts were that since it only affects alchemical fire and 1 square it would not be viable to abuse in any other way than to either quench the object with basically Light on it from one of my other concoctions, or in case of mishaps with my fire-breathing show. Basically a fire extinguisher. Not sure how I would word it differently, so I'll probably just clarify with my DM what its use is.

It's only the wording that recalls Dust of Dryness - the pellets created by that item contain a lot more water, and you get multiple uses out of the dust. And it can deal damage.

Perhaps change it from water to AFFF?

Groggen
2015-09-23, 06:44 AM
Cool items! None of these are going to be that expensive, probably not more than 25-50gp. Which makes them great things to craft in a few days of downtime!

I'll have a closer look in a minute and add a few of my own that I developed for a game I'm running at the moment.

Alchemists need more things to craft!

Edit

Ninja_Prawn's Valuation Services
Juggler's Fire (sticky, for use with items/juggler set). Valuation: it's one use of the Light cantrip, in a bottle. 5gp.

Juggler's Fire (fluid, for use with fire breathing act). Valuation: fancy alcohol. 1gp per use.

Sparkly ointment (viscous, for use with items/juggler set). Valuation: mechanically the same as Juggler's Fire (sticky), except it needs to be manually lit. 5gp.

Condensed water pellet (break glass in case of emergency). Valuation: pretty cool, as a counter to Alchemist's Fire. If antitoxin costs half what poison costs, this should cost half what the fire costs. 25gp.

Smoke bomb. Valuation: similar to my fountain (below) - smaller area but easier to use. 5gp.

Ninja_Prawn's Alchemical Workshop
Blasting Charge. Alchemical compound, 200gp. This small tube is filled with a specially-formulated smokepowder, designed to break up stone. Its fuse can be set alight by any source of fire. After it has been lit, the fuse burns for 2 rounds before the charge explodes.
The explosion deals 2d6 fire damage plus 2d6 thunder damage in a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on itself, and does double damage to objects and structures. Rocks and masonry caught in this blast are likely to collapse - the exact nature and consequences of such a collapse should be determined by the DM.

Firework (Fountain). Alchemical compound, 5gp. This small tube is filled with a specially-formulated smokepowder, designed to produce coloured light and smoke. Its fuse can be set alight by any source of fire. After it has been lit, the fuse burns for 2 rounds before the fountain begins to burn. It continues to do so for 5 rounds.
The fountain produces dim light in a 10-foot-radius and creates a 20-foot-radius sphere of smoke centered on itself. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. It lasts for ten minutes or until a wind of moderate or greater speed (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses it.

Firework (Rocket). Alchemical compound, 25gp. This small tube-on-a-stick is filled with a specially-formulated smokepowder, designed to produce a shower of colourful sparks. As an action, it can be planted in the ground. Once planted, its fuse can be set alight by any source of fire. After it has been lit, the fuse burns for 2 rounds before the rocket shoots up 300 feet into the air and explodes.
The explosion produces a bang that can be heard for half a mile in all directions and a shower of sparks that can be seen up to 2 miles away.
The rocket can be aimed at targets on ground level but the target must be selected when the rocket is planted. Any creatures caught within 10 feet of the blast take 1d4 fire damage and must make a DC 10 Constitution save or be deafened for one round.

Houserule: Progress towards alchemical compounds is made in 25gp/8 hour increments. They lose their potency 1d4+4 days after they have been made.

Thanks for the feedback. Your items are great. The campaign will perhaps use gun powder and cannons, so the Blasting Charge might fit perfectly there. But can I throw it, and what would the range be? 10/20 perhaps? And since it deals damage it should probably mention a Dex save to avoid? I could see a use for a smaller version with greater range, but no damage (just the sound) as well. A cannon firing somewhere near, now that's a distraction :smallsmile: I'm a little bit confused in regards to the Firework fountain: it both creates dim light and a heavily obscured area? Not sure of the specifics of the rules regarding this, but it seems counter intuitive. Maybe the smoke comes after the 5 rounds? The Firework rocket deals damage in a radius, so maybe have a Dex save to avoid both the damage and the deafening part? Otherwise great items. Makes me reconsider my character and I might want to go further down the Alchemist's Path now :smallsmile:

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Your items are great. The campaign will perhaps use gun powder and cannons, so the Blasting Charge might fit perfectly there. But can I throw it, and what would the range be? 10/20 perhaps? And since it deals damage it should probably mention a Dex save to avoid? I could see a use for a smaller version with greater range, but no damage (just the sound) as well. A cannon firing somewhere near, now that's a distraction :smallsmile: I'm a little bit confused in regards to the Firework fountain: it both creates dim light and a heavily obscured area? Not sure of the specifics of the rules regarding this, but it seems counter intuitive. Maybe the smoke comes after the 5 rounds? The Firework rocket deals damage in a radius, so maybe have a Dex save to avoid both the damage and the deafening part? Otherwise great items. Makes me reconsider my character and I might want to go further down the Alchemist's Path now :smallsmile:

...I could have sworn I wrote Dex saves into there. Yes, of course they need to offer Dex saves. DC should be pretty low, maybe 13?

I would rule things could be thrown up to 20 feet (long range disadvantage is irrelevant because it's not an attack roll). That's part of the reason I gave them timed fuses.

And on the light/smoke, that was intentional. It means that:

a) the smoke is coloured by internal light.
b) if a strong wind blows away the smoke, the light alone will remain.
c) anyone who can see through smoke can see the light. Can't think of any specific abilities that do this, but something like the old infravision ought to to the job.

Groggen
2015-09-23, 09:51 AM
...I could have sworn I wrote Dex saves into there. Yes, of course they need to offer Dex saves. DC should be pretty low, maybe 13?

I would rule things could be thrown up to 20 feet (long range disadvantage is irrelevant because it's not an attack roll). That's part of the reason I gave them timed fuses.

And on the light/smoke, that was intentional. It means that:

a) the smoke is coloured by internal light.
b) if a strong wind blows away the smoke, the light alone will remain.
c) anyone who can see through smoke can see the light. Can't think of any specific abilities that do this, but something like the old infravision ought to to the job.

Really like the "light colors the smoke" bit, as part of my performance. The rest makes sense. I'm really hoping my DM will let me use these now :smallsmile: