PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Base Class: Magical Girl (AKA "Help me, I've done something terrible!")

Freelance GM
2015-09-22, 10:13 PM
So once upon a time in a thread I cannot find, someone asked, "What's the one D&D game you've always wanted to play?"

Even though I'm not an anime fan (there are only four series that held my attention for more than 1 episode), I do think it would be fun to run an absurdly over-the-top, anime-inspired D&D game at some point. Also, even though I am not an anime fan, I understand that the label "anime" is an umbrella that covers about a dozen different genres, which share similar design principles and art styles, so please forgive my wanton misuse of the term.

Anyways, in the interests of making that dream game happen, I might have homebrewed a Magical Girl base class, and it looks like it might almost be balanced, or possibly even underpowered, compared to 5E's core classes. I do have to cite our beloved host, the Giant in the Playground, as a source of inspiration, because I realized this was possible when I saw his 3E homebrew class, the Champion. So, here she is...

THE MAGICAL GIRL
A demon rages through the hallways of the Arcane College, tearing students in half as they flee. One apprentice stands defiant, placing her fingertips on a jeweled bracelet. With a sudden flash, the girl transforms into a statuesque figure in magnificent white robes.
A young squire presents his signet ring to the blackguard. A swirling mist fills the area- and when it clears, a knight in shimmering golden armor stands where the squire was standing. He draws his oversized greatsword, and smirks beneath his armor.
Despite the name, Magical Girls are not necessarily female, but the most iconic characters of this class are. Magical Girls are mundane people with the extraordinary ability to transform into a powerful alternate form.

Keeping a Promise
There are two sources of a Magical Girl's power: a magical promise, and a heirloom given to the character. This heirloom becomes a focus for the Magical Girl's power, and a reminder of the promise made. A Magical Girl's transformation grants the skill needed to fulfill the character's promise. Generally, the character's new form resembles the ideals or personality of the entity the character's Magical Promise was made to.

Creating a Magical Girl
As you are creating a Magical Girl, the most important question is “what do you want to transform into?” Is your transformation some kind of beast-like form, a knight in shining armor, or an older, more regal version of your current self? Second, what does your transformation do? Do you rely on martial prowess or magical ability? This should tell you which Magical Promise to make.
The next step is to consider who your character made a promise to, as well as why. Is your Magical Promise with a ghost that lives in your Heirloom, an extra-planar being such as an angel, or an ideal? What can you do to fulfill that promise? Once your original goal is completed, how can you continue to uphold the terms of your Magical Promise?

Quick Build
You can quickly make a Magical Girl by following these suggestions. Charisma should be your highest ability score, followed by Dexterity or Constitution. Second, choose the Folk Hero background.

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Class Features
Spells Known
Spell Slot Level

+2
Magical Promise, Transformation (1/rest)

+2
Charm Casting

+2
Magical Charms

+2
Ability Score Increase

+3
Extra Attack

+3
Promise Feature

+3
Power of Friendship

+3
Ability Score Increase

+4
Magical Charm

+4
Promise Feature

+4
Transformation (2/rest)

+4
Ability Score Increase

+5
Magical Charm

+5
Promise Feature

+5
Strength of Spirit

+5
Ability Score Increase

+6
Magical Charm

+6
Power of Friendship Improvement

+6
Ability Score Increase

+6
Promise Fulfilled, Transformation (3/rest)

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per Magical Girl level.
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier.
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Magical Girl level after first level.

Proficiencies
Weapons: Simple Weapons.
Armor: None
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Constitution, Charisma
Skills: Choose two from Acrobatics, Arcana, Insight, Perception, or Persuasion.

Starting Equipment:
Your heirloom, which could be (a) a signet ring, (b) an amulet, (c) a set of fine clothes, or (d) a martial weapon of your choice.
(a) A quarterstaff or (b) a dagger.
(a) a diplomat's pack or (b) a scholar's pack.
And a bag with Two tomes of lore on subjects of your choice.

Heirloom (Pretend it's a Sidebar)
At first level, you possess a unique heirloom that grants your magical powers. The heirloom can be any piece of mundane gear you possess, but it is typically a piece of jewelry, an article of clothing, or a weapon. You can use your heirloom as a spellcasting focus, and you must have your heirloom on your person to be able to use the Magical Girl's Transformation feature.

Magical Promise
At first level, a Magical Girl makes a promise to an extraordinary being in exchange for power. This Magical Promise determines the abilities and the manifestations of the Magical Girl's transformation. Choose one of the Magical Promises listed below.

Promise of Safety
The Magical Girl swears to defend the innocent, and protect the weak. Your transformation is an avatar of battle, capable of taking on threats significantly more dangerous than you could hope to defeat alone.
Weapon Training. At first level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons and shields.
Fast Movement. At first level, your speed increases by 10 feet while you are transformed.
Skilled Charger. At sixth level, you become especially adept at rushing your foes. If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line before making a melee weapon attack, you have advantage on your next attack roll.
One Body, Two Souls. Beginning at 10th level, your transformation can protect you from mortal harm. If you would be reduced to 0 hit points, or killed outright while you are transformed, you may end your Transformation in order to go to 1 hit point instead.
Purging Transformation At 14th level, your Transformation reinvigorates your body. You can use a bonus action to transform as long as you are conscious, even if you are not capable of taking actions. If you are incapacitated, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, restrained, or stunned, transforming immediately ends any number of those conditions.

Promise of Understanding
The Magical Girl's promise is to solve a mystery that eluded the one the promise was made to. Your transformation is a more competent spellcaster than others of your class.
Magical Form. Magical Girls with this promise have a little bit more spellcasting than their counterparts. At first level, you may choose two cantrips from the Magical Girl spell list. You may cast those cantrips while you are Transformed.
Powerful Cantrips. At sixth level, your most basic spells become increasingly potent. Whenever you cast a cantrip that deals damage, you may add your Charisma modifier to the damage it deals on a hit.
Heightened Understanding. By 10th level, your Promise has given you a level of clarity that other people do not possess. You gain proficiency in Wisdom Saving Throws. Additionally, you have Advantage on Wisdom saving throws against spells while you are transformed.
Signature Spell. At 14th level, you may choose a 1st-level spell you know. While you are transformed, you may cast that spell at-will as a first-level spell.

Transformation
As a bonus action, you can undergo a magical transformation into your alternate form. The transformation generally has a cosmetic change. This could be something minor, such as a difference in hair color, or it could be a major change, such as a new outfit suddenly appearing over your clothing. Transforming requires the Magical Girl's unique Spell Focus, which is a Heirloom. In order to transform, you must be able to take actions, and your Heirloom must be on your person. You gain additional uses of Transformation at level 11, and at level 20. Once you transform, you cannot do so again until you take a short or long rest.
While you are transformed, you gain the following traits:
Armor Class. While you are transformed, your Armor Class is equal to 10 + your dexterity modifier + your charisma modifier.
Duration. You can maintain your Transformation for up to one hour. If you are knocked unconscious, your transformation ends early.
Size. You become a medium humanoid creature, regardless of what your original form was.

Charm Casting
At second level, Magical Girls gain access to a unique form of Spellcasting called Charm Casting, which can only be accessed by their transformed selves.
Each time you Transform, you gain two Spell Slots. The level of these Spell slots are shown on the Spell Level column on the table above. You can only use these spell slots while you are transformed; if you revert back to your normal form, they are wasted.
Spellcasting Ability. Your spellcasting ability is Charisma.
Spells Known. Magical Girls do not prepare spells. Instead, you choose spells from the Magical Girl spell list. You may only learn spells of a level no higher than what's shown in the Spell Slot column for your level.
Spell Save DC. Your Spell Save DC is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.
Spell Attack Modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.

Magical Charms
At third level, a Magical Girl's powers adjust themselves to be more in tune with their wielder's personality. At third level, you may choose two Magical Charms from the list below. You get one additional charm at 9th, 13th, and 17th levels. You may only take a Charm once, unless the charm says otherwise. When a charm mentions an Ability Score prerequisite, it means your character's natural form must have that ability score, not the Transformation.

Awoken Familiar
You can cast Find Familiar once per day, without a material component. Your familiar has 10 intelligence and speaks Common.

Altered Ability
When you choose this charm, pick an ability score. If the chosen ability is less than a 14, it becomes a 14 while you are transformed. It increases to an 18 at 9th level, a 20 at 13th level, or a 22 at 17th level. You may take this Charm multiple times, choosing a different Ability each time.

Blink Step
Prerequisite: 9th level
While you are transformed, you may spend one spell slot to gain bursts of superhuman speed. For the next minute, you can teleport 20 feet as a bonus action on your turn.

Blinding Transformation
You may only have one Transformation effect.
Your transformation is especially bright. Creatures within 15 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw against your Spell Save DC or become blinded for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. At the end of their turn, affected creatures may make a new saving throw, ending the blindness on a successful save.

Cantrips
Prerequisite: Intelligence 13
You may cast Cantrips even if you are not transformed. You learn two cantrips from the Magical Girl spell list when you take this Charm, and you learn one additional cantrip at 9th, 13th, and 17th level.

Conjured Weapons
When you transform, you can use your powers to generate one or two unique, magical weapons of your choice out of pure energy. Choose one of the options below. If you have at least one hand available, you may choose to immediately equip one or both of the generated items when you transform. Any weapon or shield generated counts as a +1 weapon or shield at 9th level, +2 at 13th level, or +3 at 17th level. While you are transformed, you may dismiss these weapons at any time, or conjure them again as a bonus action. When your transformation ends, the weapons disappear.

A thrown weapon which, if thrown, teleports into your hand at the end of your turn.
Any weapon with the ammunition property, which has unlimited ammunition.
Two light weapons.
A one-handed weapon and a shield.
A two-handed weapon.

Durable Form
Prerequisite: Constitution 13
When you transform, you gain a number of Temporary Hit points equal to 2d4 plus your Charisma modifier. The number of dice increases to 3d4 at 9th level, 4d4 at 13th level, and 5d4 at 17th level.

Elemental Favor
Choose acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. You are resistant to that kind of damage, even while you are not Transformed. At 13th level, you become immune instead. You may take this Charm multiple times, but you must choose a different damage type each time.

Elemental Transformation
When you pick this Charm, choose acid, cold, fire, or lightning. Creatures within 10 feet of you must make a Dexterity saving throw against your Spell Save DC. On a failure They take 4d6 damage of the chosen type, or half as much on a successful save. The damage increases to 6d6 at 13th level.

Explosive Transformation
When you transform, there is a thunderous explosion. Creatures within 10 feet must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failure, they take 2d6 Thunder damage and are pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, they take half damage and are not pushed. The damage increases to 4d6 at 13th level.

Extra Magic
Prerequisite: Promise of Understanding
Choose two spells from any class's spell list. The spells must be a level you can cast with a casting time of one action, bonus action, or reaction. You add the chosen spells to your list of Spells Known. At 9th, 13th, and 17th level, you may choose to learn 1 additional spell.

Fearsome Transformation
Your transformation is terrible to behold. Creatures within 10 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw against your Spell Save DC or become frightened for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. At the end of their turn, affected creatures may make a new saving throw, ending the fear effect on a successful save.

Finishing Move!
Before you make an attack roll, you may declare a Finishing Move. If the attack hits, it is automatically a Critical Hit. Before you roll for damage, the target must make a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC. Enemies with more than 1/2 their hit points automatically succeed on this saving throw. On a failure, you do not roll damage. Instead, the enemy takes the maximum amount of damage possible. Once you declare a Finishing Move, you may not attempt another one until you take a short or long rest.
At 9th level, your Finishing Move deals 15 additional damage. This additional damage increases to 30 at 13th level. At 17th level, the enemy dies immediately if it fails its saving throw.

Heirloom Independence
You may transform without your Heirloom. While you are not Transformed, your AC is equal to 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Charisma modifier.

Light Step
You can cast Feather Fall at-will without expending a spell slot. At 13th level, you add Fly to your list of spells known.

Lingering Magic
When your Transformation ends, any un-used spell slots you have are not wasted. Instead, you may use those Spell Slots in your normal form. These spell slots last until you Transform again, or take a short rest.

Magical Weapons
Prerequisite: Promise of Safety
Choose one or two weapons you possess. While you are wielding those weapons, they count as Magical. At 13th level, the weapons become oversized while you are transformed, dealing 1d6 additional damage. You may choose weapons you create with the Conjured Weapons charm. If you do, then they deal 1d8 additional damage instead.

Misty Transformation
Swirling fog or thick smoke exudes from you out to a 10-foot radius. This fog provides heavy cover, and lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier, or until it is dispersed by a strong wind.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action.

Power of Friendship
At 7th level, you become immune to being charmed or frightened, so long as there is an ally within 30 feet. Additionally, allies within 30 feet have Advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened. At 18th level, you are immune to being charmed or frightened so long as you can see an ally, and allies within 60 feet have advantage against being charmed or frightened.

Strength of Spirit
At 15th level, your dedication to your promise is so strong, it manifests as a protective barrier. When you need to make a saving throw using an ability other than Charisma, you may choose to make a Charisma saving throw instead. You may do this a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier. You regain expended uses when you complete a long rest.

Promise Fulfilled
At 20th level, you can find strength in your abilities, even when it seems hopeless or futile. If you roll initiative and have no uses of Transformation left, you regain one use.

Cantrips
Blade Ward
Dancing Lights
Fire Bolt
Friends
Light
Mage Hand
Minor Illusion
Ray of Frost
Sacred Flame
True Strike

1st Level
Bless
Charm Person
Chromatic Orb
Compelled Duel
Divine Favor
Expeditious Retreat
Fog Cloud
Guiding Bolt
Hex
Magic Missile
Shield
Sleep
Searing Smite
Thunderous Smite
Wrathful Smite

2nd Level
Darkvision
Gust of Wind
Magic Weapon
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Scorching Ray
Shatter
Suggestion

3rd Level
Blinding Smite
Blink
Counterspell
Daylight
Dispel Magic
Elemental Weapon
Fear
Sending

4th Level
Banishment
Death Ward
Dimension Door
Freedom of Movement
Staggering Smite
Wall of Fire

5th Level
Banishing Smite
Cone of Cold
Destructive Smite
Flame Strike
Wall of Force

Ok, so this is actually my first completed original base class. Woohoo! It is fully operational, and ready for playtesting. Nothing looks glaringly overpowered, but I suspect there are still a few bugs to figure out. The spell list especially was kind of thrown together at the last minute. It's tricky, because I couldn't include any spells that required Concentration.

Personally, I like it because it can capture the most cliche Magical Girl depiction, a less-traditional archetype like Ryuko Matoi of Kill la Kill, or it can be re-flavored for completely non-anime concept like Rich Burlew's Champion class.

Anyways, I screened this with the anime fans in my D&D group earlier today, and they were flipping. Apparently I've nailed the flavor pretty well. Since they liked the concept so much, I thought I'd post it here and ask you all the following questions:

Does it look fun?
Does it feel like a Magical Girl?
Does anything look over/underpowered?
Are any of the rules confusing?
What would you do to break this class?
Would you play one of these?
What's the craziest character concept you can think of with this class, or a multiclass combo with this class?

Anyways, I hope you like it!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 01:00 AM
This is very interesting. It's built on the warlock chassis, right? I like the flavour - otherworldly pacts aren't really my cup of tea - and I would consider playing something like this.

However, I'm not sure I understand the mechanics. Can you only cast spells while transformed? What, then, can you do in your natural form? And what's the intended battlefield role? Warlocks (to me at least) are 'about' at-will damage per round, like magical fighters, but what is the magical girl supposed to do?

There's just... something missing here.

Edit: so I did a bit more thinking... this class does need a bit of work, but it shouldn't be that hard to bring it up to scratch.

First of all, I'd change the spell progression to match the warlock's. Not even having 5th-level spells leaves the class well underpowered. Secondly, I'd allow casting while not transformed. After all, a barbarian can still make weapon attacks when they're not raging, right? The transformation should increase the effectiveness of the spells, like rage, rather than allowing them in the first place.

Thirdly, I'd add something that functions like warlock invocations. Something to add flexibility and customisability to the class - the promises are very simple and there's only two of them at the moment. *facepalm* totally missed the Charm spoiler.

I'd also take the Heirloom out of the table. It's not a class feature; it doesn't give you any powers or abilities. It belongs in a sidebar, like the wizard's spellbook.

I'm not that well-versed in the MG genre... are there any other classes that could sit alongside this one? I feel like it would work best in a setting where everyone had an animal class.

jamieth
2015-09-23, 04:11 AM
A question on Transformation Effects: I assume the effect stated happens at the moment you Transform, right? Or is it intended that, for example, Elemental Transformation would damage any creatures - including your allies - every round while you're transformed?

Also, not that well-wersed in 5E; what can cause a character to lose concentration? Because, in source material, usually the only thing that forces MGs to de-transform in being knocked unconscious, if that. Would transformation lasting for an hour or until you're dropped below 0 hp be OP? (Can't comment on the rest of the balance; fluff-wise, seems evocative and true to the genre. Definitely adding this thread to my cache of MG-related RPG stuff).

@Ninja_prawn: magical Girls being unable to cast untransformed is among the most important staplpes of the genre; without their transformations, they're just normal teenage girls (mostly teenage, mostly girls, at least).

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 04:32 AM
Also, not that well-wersed in 5E; what can cause a character to lose concentration? Because, in source material, usually the only thing that forces MGs to de-transform in being knocked unconscious, if that. Would transformation lasting for an hour or until you're dropped below 0 hp be OP? (Can't comment on the rest of the balance; fluff-wise, seems evocative and true to the genre. Definitely adding this thread to my cache of MG-related RPG stuff).

Concentration drops when you:
Cast another spell that requires concentration (most buffs and ongoing effects).
Fail a Con save after taking damage. The DC = 10 or half the damage taken, whichever is higher. So if you're taking a lot of attacks, you will drop your concentration eventually.
Are incapacitated (a specific status effect) or killed.

@Ninja_prawn: magical Girls being unable to cast untransformed is among the most important staplpes of the genre; without their transformations, they're just normal teenage girls (mostly teenage, mostly girls, at least).

I see. In that case, there needs to be a change of emphasis when the archetype is ported into D&D. Because ordinarily, D&D is not playable when your PCs are completely normal people with no powers or abilities. For example, say a creature with a big mutliattack, like a Marilith (7 attacks per action), drops your concentration with its first hit. Then you are basically without any kind of defense (Magical Girls have no armour proficiencies and Mage Armour isn't on their spell list) against the rest of the attack.

And what are the girls supposed to do for the 95% of adventuring when everyone else is using their class features and they have nothing to contribute because it's not worth burning their transformation?

jamieth
2015-09-23, 04:56 AM
Hm... yeah, concentration duration doesn't really work for transformation then. Do you think "until knocked unconscious" would be a better fit?

Also, yeah, missed the armor issue... the way Selinia did it in the 3.5 MG class was that transformation summoned a suit of armor the MG was automatically proficient with, with a choice made at 1st level whether it would be a light, medium or heavy.

By the way, the link in my sig contains a ton of MG-related stuff for 3.5, and while there's no straight conversion, you might find something that gives you some ideas there, perhaps?

Also, "not worth it" is a strange reason to not transforming, I'd say - it resets on short rest, and short rest is, what, 5 minutes? So wasting transformation on something trivial and then lacking it for a grand fight is not much of a concern, I'd say...

JNAProductions
2015-09-23, 05:16 AM
Short rest is an hour, buddy.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 05:19 AM
Hm... yeah, concentration duration doesn't really work for transformation then. Do you think "until knocked unconscious" would be a better fit?

It could be. The druid's wildshape works like that. I quote:

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.
You can stay in a beast shape for a number of hours equal to half your druid level (rounded down). You then revert to your normal form unless you expend another use of this feature. You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn. You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die.

However, a lot of people feel that wildshape is overpowered, especially how it gives you an entire pool of HP.

Also, "not worth it" is a strange reason to not transforming, I'd say - it resets on short rest, and short rest is, what, 5 minutes? So wasting transformation on something trivial and then lacking it for a grand fight is not much of a concern, I'd say...

Oh, I didn't see the word "short". I thought it was X uses per long rest, like the barbarian's Rage. That changes things considerably, but not completely. A short rest is still 1 hour long.

Freelance GM
2015-09-23, 08:15 AM
Wow, that was a ton of feedback overnight! Thanks guys!

A question on Transformation Effects: I assume the effect stated happens at the moment you Transform, right? Or is it intended that, for example, Elemental Transformation would damage any creatures - including your allies - every round while you're transformed?

Transformation effects happen the moment you transform. They aren't ongoing effects. Being incapacitated causes you to lose concentration, so the Transformation would end prematurely if you're knocked unconscious.

This is very interesting. It's built on the warlock chassis, right? I like the flavour - otherworldly pacts aren't really my cup of tea - and I would consider playing something like this.

However, I'm not sure I understand the mechanics. Can you only cast spells while transformed? What, then, can you do in your natural form? And what's the intended battlefield role? Warlocks (to me at least) are 'about' at-will damage per round, like magical fighters, but what is the magical girl supposed to do?

Edit: so I did a bit more thinking... this class does need a bit of work, but it shouldn't be that hard to bring it up to scratch.

First of all, I'd change the spell progression to match the warlock's. Not even having 5th-level spells leaves the class well underpowered. Secondly, I'd allow casting while not transformed. After all, a barbarian can still make weapon attacks when they're not raging, right? The transformation should increase the effectiveness of the spells, like rage, rather than allowing them in the first place.

I'd also take the Heirloom out of the table. It's not a class feature; it doesn't give you any powers or abilities. It belongs in a sidebar, like the wizard's spellbook.

I'm not that well-versed in the MG genre... are there any other classes that could sit alongside this one? I feel like it would work best in a setting where everyone had an animal class.

It's like, at least 80% built on the Warlock chassis.

The reason the spell progression doesn't completely imitate the Warlock's is because of the way Transformation works. A level 20 Warlock gets 4 5th-level spell slots per short rest, but a level 20 Magical Girl gets 5 4th-level spell slots every time she transforms, effectively giving her 15 4th-level spell slots per short rest. This, actually, was something I thought might be overpowered enough to make up for the "useless while you're not transformed" thing.

I guess Heirloom could be a side-bar, but it's referenced by Transformation and Charm Casting. A Cleric's Holy Symbol is referenced by spellcasting and Channel Divinity, so it should be fine.

As far as other classes, I've got a couple anime classes I want to design, with a half-finished Mech Jockey coming up next. The Mech works a lot more like Wild Shape, which is one of the reasons I was trying to steer Transformation away from that direction.

Also, yeah, missed the armor issue... the way Selinia did it in the 3.5 MG class was that transformation summoned a suit of armor the MG was automatically proficient with, with a choice made at 1st level whether it would be a light, medium or heavy.

By the way, the link in my sig contains a ton of MG-related stuff for 3.5, and while there's no straight conversion, you might find something that gives you some ideas there, perhaps?

Transformation sets the MG's AC to 10+ DEX mod + CHA mod. It'll probably be in the 16 to 18 range, but by taking the Altered Ability charm for CHA and DEX you could get it up to 22.

Concentration drops when you:
Cast another spell that requires concentration (most buffs and ongoing effects).
Fail a Con save after taking damage. The DC = 10 or half the damage taken, whichever is higher. So if you're taking a lot of attacks, you will drop your concentration eventually.
Are incapacitated (a specific status effect) or killed.

I see. In that case, there needs to be a change of emphasis when the archetype is ported into D&D. Because ordinarily, D&D is not playable when your PCs are completely normal people with no powers or abilities. For example, say a creature with a big mutliattack, like a Marilith (7 attacks per action), drops your concentration with its first hit. Then you are basically without any kind of defense (Magical Girls have no armour proficiencies and Mage Armour isn't on their spell list) against the rest of the attack.

And what are the girls supposed to do for the 95% of adventuring when everyone else is using their class features and they have nothing to contribute because it's not worth burning their transformation?

Good points here. I made Transformation recharge on a Short Rest because in an "ideal" 5E campaign, you'll be taking two or three of those each day. I made it require concentration because it seemed to fit the flavor of the class that getting the crap beat out of you knocks you out of your Transformation.

However, the character is more or less helpless while she isn't transformed, which, while it is a staple of the class, sucks in a dungeon. I just skimmed over it again and noticed that by RAW, Light Step (a Charm), doesn't say it only works while you are Transformed, like Blink Step does, which gives me an idea.

What if there were a couple charms that worked when you weren't Transformed? Right now, I'm thinking the Cantrips, Magical Weapon, and Elemental Favor ones would work. Also, what if the Heirloom Independence Charm also let you use your Transformation's AC formula and proficiencies while you aren't transformed?

So, it looks like the changes I need to make are...
(a) Drop heirloom, rewrite it in Charm Casting.
(b) Clarify when Transformation abilities trigger.
(c) Await further feedback on spellcasting, because with at least 15 4th-level spell slots per short rest, I think it may actually need a nerf instead of a boost. We'll see.
(d) Rework Transformation's duration, and probably remove Concentration. Also, allow some Transformation effects to bleed over to the normal form.

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone! I'm glad there's actually some interest in this class!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 08:37 AM
(c) Await further feedback on spellcasting, because with at least 15 4th-level spell slots per short rest, I think it may actually need a nerf instead of a boost. We'll see.

Maybe just fewer slots per transformation? The warlock gets their slots back on a short rest, so you want to aim for the same total as they get. Maybe keep the number of slots fixed, rather than growing by level, so you always get two slots per transformation, but then you get two or three transformations at higher levels?

Perhaps then give them one 5th-level slot per day as like a 'finishing move' or whatever. Like I said, I'm not familiar with the genre.

jamieth
2015-09-23, 08:50 AM
OK, one idea I have - not related to the issues present, but as a way to expend the options - is that while Promise of Safety represents Magical Girl Warriors, and Promise of Understanding... well, I'm not sure if that archetype has a specific name, but I know what you meant, there can be an archetype for Magical Idols - Promise of Inspiration or something? It can grant bard-style abilities, though I'm not sure how bards work in 5E, except the fact that they're apparently 9th-level casters now :-)

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 08:59 AM
OK, one idea I have - not related to the issues present, but as a way to expend the options - is that while Promise of Safety represents Magical Girl Warriors, and Promise of Understanding... well, I'm not sure if that archetype has a specific name, but I know what you meant, there can be an archetype for Magical Idols - Promise of Inspiration or something? It can grant bard-style abilities, though I'm not sure how bards work in 5E, except the fact that they're apparently 9th-level casters now :-)

I like this idea. A limited version of Bardic Inspiration would fit well with the theme, and it's a nice, flexible ability that adds to the class both in and out of combat. And it's something that wouldn't need to depend on the transformation, like the Safety girls' weapon proficiencies.

For jamieth, 5e bards are flexible full-casters that are excellent at support, healing, gish, arcane archery and general skill utility. You can build almost anything with a bard.

Freelance GM
2015-09-23, 02:55 PM

I like this idea. A limited version of Bardic Inspiration would fit well with the theme, and it's a nice, flexible ability that adds to the class both in and out of combat. And it's something that wouldn't need to depend on the transformation, like the Safety girls' weapon proficiencies.

For jamieth, 5e bards are flexible full-casters that are excellent at support, healing, gish, arcane archery and general skill utility. You can build almost anything with a bard.

Believe it or not, I had notes for an archetype called the "Promise of Friendship," which was based on the bard, which could cast Guidance as a bonus action, and could affect more targets at higher levels. I cut it because it's mechanics didn't seem as interesting as the other two. Apparently, there's some interest in that kind of archetype, so I might add it back in after I clean it up a bit.

Maybe just fewer slots per transformation? The warlock gets their slots back on a short rest, so you want to aim for the same total as they get. Maybe keep the number of slots fixed, rather than growing by level, so you always get two slots per transformation, but then you get two or three transformations at higher levels?

Perhaps then give them one 5th-level slot per day as like a 'finishing move' or whatever. Like I said, I'm not familiar with the genre.

I like this fix for the Spell Slots. I'll take another look at the Warlock when I have the PhB handy, and make the changes.

As for the Finishing Move, I think it would make a good Magical Charm option.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Grayfigure
2015-09-23, 04:56 PM
This actually reads really well! Well done! No critiques from me, but maybe some helpful Imput from 5e warlocks' standpoint...

In 5e, it's true that warlocks only have 5th lvl spells and slots, but they also have abilities called Mystic arcanums. MAs work like old edition spells: you get to choose 1 spell of 6th level that you may cast without the use of a spell slot, but cannot do so again until you take a long rest, I believe. At appropriate levels you get a 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell as well. You don't get spell slots for those levels; you only get to cast the spell you chose and you can't do so again until you long rest. I think this mechanic can serve your class well on several levels.

Again great class idea. If you find/run an anime homebrew tolerant campaign that wouldn't mind a new face, drop me a line! Been wanting to try my Avatar of Blades......

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 05:44 PM
...Mystic Arcanum...

The more I look at this, the more I want to pull MGs away from the warlock.

At level 20, a warlock gets 4no 5th-level spells per short rest. If my most recent suggestion is adopted, MGs will get 6no 4th-level spells. That looks like a small difference, but it can be made into a big point of differentiation. It means that in a major battle, a MG is going to tend to cast real spells where a warlock would be using Eldritch Blast.

To wit, it might be a good idea for the OP to add at least one 3rd- or 4th-level direct-damage spell to the MG's list. Relying on Scorching Ray IV as your frontline attack is not going to cut it in an epic game.

But, looking deeper, the warlock is a full caster. It has access to 9th-level magic. The MG is not going in that direction. It's more like a half-caster... which go up to 5th-level spells and have Extra Attack at 5.

..."but one of the archetypes gives Extra Attack at 6," you cry. Well, change it to a fighting style! Give them something like a Mystic Arcanum, but only for 5th-level spells. Sorted!

A transforming half-warlock with Cha-based unarmoured defense and 18* mid-level spell slots a day. That's new and fun, right?

*based on 2 short rests per day.

Grayfigure
2015-09-23, 06:40 PM
Well my thought was pretty close to your idea of the Finishing Move, using the Mystic Arcanum mechanic, though tweaked as needed. I figured they could use it for both a pseudo-unique feature and as a bit of a high level damage leverage, modding as needed to keep it with their own special spin.

Freelance GM
2015-09-23, 08:02 PM
This actually reads really well! Well done! No critiques from me, but maybe some helpful Imput from 5e warlocks' standpoint...

Thanks for the praise! Glad you like it!

But, looking deeper, the warlock is a full caster. It has access to 9th-level magic. The MG is not going in that direction. It's more like a half-caster... which go up to 5th-level spells and have Extra Attack at 5.

..."but one of the archetypes gives Extra Attack at 6," you cry. Well, change it to a fighting style! Give them something like a Mystic Arcanum, but only for 5th-level spells. Sorted!

HEWLY SHEEEIT! THAT'S WHAT I WAS MISSING!

In my earliest drafts of this class, it was a bit more like a Paladin/Bard hybrid, before I realized Warlock was a much better chassis. Safety Girls originally could gain access to the Paladin's exclusive Smite spells. (They might again, now that we've agreed to cut Concentration from the Transformation rules).

I never intended for the MG to be a full caster, but I completely forgot that Extra Attack was a mildly essential thing for Half-Casters. *Facepalms.*

martixy
2015-09-23, 11:01 PM
Do we need to call her Neil? :smallbiggrin:

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-24, 02:48 AM
HEWLY SHEEEIT! THAT'S WHAT I WAS MISSING!

TFW it all comes together with a nice *click* :smallbiggrin:

I'm glad I was able to help. If you ever want to playtest this in PbP, I'd be interested in joining.

Freelance GM
2015-09-24, 08:34 AM
Second Edition is up.

No more spell slot increase. Spell slot progression increased to 5th level. Added some Concentration spells and 5th level spells to spell list. Still no Fireball/Lightning Bolt, because WOTC thought it was too OP for the Warlock. Therefor, it is most likely too OP for the Magical Girl.

Safety Girl got a total rework now that Flight is a charm and Extra Attack is a class feature. Understanding Girl got a bit more Eldritch Knight-like. Both archetypes get Extra Attack now. The third "Friendship Girl" Archetype is still in think-tank limbo.

Heirloom Independence gives you your Unarmored Defense while you're not Transformed. Several other charms are no longer limited to "While you are Transformed."

Cantrips Charm is now limited to Magical Girl cantrips.

Opted not to add the Finishing Move charm, since they can cast 5th-level spells now. Opted not to give them any access to spell slots above 5th level, because that would mean they aren't a Half-Caster.

I did add a Lingering Magic charm, which lets you keep un-used Spell Slots when your Transformation ends.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-24, 09:36 AM
I have only two comments:

1. I'd make the Understanding Girl's cantrips available without transformation, on the basis that the Safety Girl's weapon proficiencies are always-on. If necessary, refluff them into something non-magical, like an icy stare for Ray of Frost.

2. I think warlocks don't get Fireball and Lightning Bolt because most their damage output comes from Eldritch Blast anyway. If you're allowing Cone of Cold (and if it fits with the genre), I'd just allow the third-level blasty spells.

Pyon
2015-09-24, 06:30 PM
Hmm... See, I've been stalking this class for a bit now and I wanted to interject. Do add a finishing move! Make it a class feature! It seems like such a stable for magical girls that it would be weird not to have it! This is my suggestion: Make it a scaling magical skill that they can use. Either make it a smite type thing if they go protection, or a ranged blast if they go understanding. The character could chose an element when they get the ability for further customization! Depending on how much damage you make it do (and I think it should scale), it would have a drawback. A small drawback would be once per long rest, a medium one to end your transformation and a high one just a level of exhaustion.

Throwing 2cp!

ThinkMinty
2015-09-24, 06:51 PM
You might want to look at the game Magical Burst for inspiration for magical girl crunch. I played a very...wacky campaign of that a long time ago. Everyone was a different style of character, it was nuts.

You could always call the class Mahou, since it'd be flavorful and non gender-specific.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-25, 02:39 AM
Oh, I had a thought last night and forgot to post it. A new promise: Darkness! Dark Magical Girls are a thing, right?

Grayfigure
2015-09-25, 08:40 AM
Sorry bout the lateness of this suggestion, but a way to give the pretransformed Chara something to do without a serious rewrite just popped of into my head: cantrips! You can give them access to a limited number of cantrips to show that they have changed and have made the Promise. You can even keep unarmored def in the improved Heirloom/item/what its face ( sorry, it's early and I haven't had coffee yet).

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-25, 08:44 AM
Sorry bout the lateness of this suggestion, but a way to give the pretransformed Chara something to do without a serious rewrite just popped of into my head: cantrips! You can give them access to a limited number of cantrips to show that they have changed and have made the Promise. You can even keep unarmored def in the improved Heirloom/item/what its face ( sorry, it's early and I haven't had coffee yet).

I agree with this in general, but it looks like the default MG doesn't actually know any cantrips. Which, actually, is fine, because we're aiming loosely for a half-caster.

But yes, when the Promise of Understanding and one of the Charms grant knowledge of cantrips, I would want that to be usable without transformation. Maybe even find a way to work in a 'Potent Cantrip' thing that only works when transformed?

Grayfigure
2015-09-25, 08:59 AM
Hmm......maybe for the melee path a cantrip aimed at defense like blade ward? Perhaps give them the one cantrip (a bit strange I know, but I'm functioning without the aid of coffee here 😐😆) or maybe it and one more, like true or something.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-09-25, 10:01 AM
One, I like this. Some refinement and I may add it to my players' option list.

As far as refinement goes:

When you changed the spell level scaling, you created a few dead levels. Should be simple to fix, just adjust the charm levels slightly.
I made a pretty simple Warlock pact along the same lines some months back, and one of the things I did was give them the ability to change their damage type to Radiant, since that's one of the easier flavor things that can be done. Possible to see a Charm or two involving that?
One of the reasons the Paladin and the Ranger work as half-casters is because they both have some form of damage steroid to their damage. You had a good first step making extra attack baseline, but I think Promise of Safety really needs a little bit more oomph in mid levels
Promise of Safety doesn't seem to give abilities at the Promise Feature levels? Either that, or you forgot to add the levels.
There's some terminology that doesn't hold to 5e design styles and terminology. For example, in Blink Step, "spend" should be "expend". It's a small issue, but still is one.
Any chance to see a summonable weapon/shield? It doesn't really happen often in-genre for a Mahou Shoujo/Shonen to be carrying around part of their equipment like that.

Freelance GM
2015-09-26, 04:49 AM
I agree with this in general, but it looks like the default MG doesn't actually know any cantrips. Which, actually, is fine, because we're aiming loosely for a half-caster.

But yes, when the Promise of Understanding and one of the Charms grant knowledge of cantrips, I would want that to be usable without transformation. Maybe even find a way to work in a 'Potent Cantrip' thing that only works when transformed?

The (current) Cantrip charm gives you learn new cantrips and cast a few while you aren't Transformed. Might as well change it to casting any cantrip you know while you're not transformed, to avoid confusion. Since Cantrips aren't normally a thing for Half-Casters, I'd like to make them require the investment, though.

You might want to look at the game Magical Burst for inspiration for magical girl crunch. I played a very...wacky campaign of that a long time ago. Everyone was a different style of character, it was nuts.

You could always call the class Mahou, since it'd be flavorful and non gender-specific.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll see what I can find! While I like the non-gender-specific name, Magical Girl just seems so iconic...

I have only two comments:

1. I'd make the Understanding Girl's cantrips available without transformation, on the basis that the Safety Girl's weapon proficiencies are always-on. If necessary, refluff them into something non-magical, like an icy stare for Ray of Frost.

2. I think warlocks don't get Fireball and Lightning Bolt because most their damage output comes from Eldritch Blast anyway. If you're allowing Cone of Cold (and if it fits with the genre), I'd just allow the third-level blasty spells.

Good point. I forgot that I put Cone of Cold on their list.

One, I like this. Some refinement and I may add it to my players' option list.

As far as refinement goes:

When you changed the spell level scaling, you created a few dead levels. Should be simple to fix, just adjust the charm levels slightly.
I made a pretty simple Warlock pact along the same lines some months back, and one of the things I did was give them the ability to change their damage type to Radiant, since that's one of the easier flavor things that can be done. Possible to see a Charm or two involving that?
One of the reasons the Paladin and the Ranger work as half-casters is because they both have some form of damage steroid to their damage. You had a good first step making extra attack baseline, but I think Promise of Safety really needs a little bit more oomph in mid levels
Promise of Safety doesn't seem to give abilities at the Promise Feature levels? Either that, or you forgot to add the levels.
There's some terminology that doesn't hold to 5e design styles and terminology. For example, in Blink Step, "spend" should be "expend". It's a small issue, but still is one.
Any chance to see a summonable weapon/shield? It doesn't really happen often in-genre for a Mahou Shoujo/Shonen to be carrying around part of their equipment like that.

1: Yeah, I was afraid that would happen. Gotta take another look and see what I can move.

2: I thought about doing this. Could do it as a charm.

3: Safety has the exclusive Magical Weapon charm, which lets them roll an extra damage dice on every attack at Level 13. They may need something earlier, though.

4: Terminology issues are bad. I'd like this to be as well-written and professional-looking as possible. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

5: I was SO CLOSE to adding that to the Magical Weapon charm. It seems like it's too much to add to one ability, but not enough to be its own thing.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-26, 08:14 AM
So, I was just thinking about the promises, and I'm not sure Quick Casting really works. The Understanding Girl doesn't have martial weapon proficiency, so their weapon attacks are somewhat limited. They're only really going to use a weapon attack in combination with Extra Attack and whatever damage buff you create to parallel Divine Smite/Hunter's Prey/Hunter's Mark. I might suggest reworking it to:

Quick Casting. You can use your bonus action to cast any cantrip you know that has a casting time of 1 action. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier and regain expended uses when you complete a long rest.

In other news, I've been trying to figure out what makes a Dark Magical Girl special. So far I have learned that they are often isolated/lonely and more intelligent than regular MGs. Is that right? So, I'm thinking something like...

The Magical Girl made a promise to an extraordinary being, but her powers somehow became warped and corrupted. Her transformation is dark or even monstrous and she wields it with coldness and cruelty in order to destroy all that is good.

Vicious Attack. When you make this promise at 1st level, you gain the ability to exploit your enemies' weaknesses to deliver savage attacks. Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll, the attack deals an additional 1d6 damage of whatever type the weapon or spell normally deals.

I Fight Alone. By 6th level, you have fully embraced your solitude and learned to channel your fear and anger into your fighting style. You have advantage on all attack rolls and saving throws as long as you cannot see any conscious allies.

Hide in Shadows. At 10th level, you can Hide as a bonus action if you are in darkness or dim light.

Dark Mastery. At 14th level, your dark powers enable you to manifest deadly magical effects. You learn a single 6th level spell from any class' spell list. You can only cast this spell while transformed, and once you have cast it, you must complete a long rest before you can cast it again.

New Charm: Umbral Barrier.
Prerequisite: Promise of Darkness
You can cast Shield at-will without expending a spell slot.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-09-26, 10:18 AM
1: Yeah, I was afraid that would happen. Gotta take another look and see what I can move.

2: I thought about doing this. Could do it as a charm.

3: Safety has the exclusive Magical Weapon charm, which lets them roll an extra damage dice on every attack at Level 13. They may need something earlier, though.

4: Terminology issues are bad. I'd like this to be as well-written and professional-looking as possible. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

5: I was SO CLOSE to adding that to the Magical Weapon charm. It seems like it's too much to add to one ability, but not enough to be its own thing.

This brings up another terminology issue: die is the singular form of dice.

On Magical Weapon Charm, it massively supports certain weapons over others. Greatsword is simply massively worse than the Greataxe, for instance. While this is a quirk that pops up in Half-Orc too, I don't think it works well here because it's more widespread and it limits character options in strange ways. The flavor, however, is pretty good so my recommendation would just be to move it over to an extra d6 across the board. Relative buff to some weapons, relative nerf to others, and it's still "This weapon is bigger and more awesome than normal."

As far as finding out if you need more or not, it should be easy enough to math out. I'd recommend looking for the DPR of a single-classed Bladelock and aiming for that.

If summoning a weapon isn't quite enough, how about something this:
Something Summons
(No prerequisite)
As part of your transformation action, you may summon one of the following combinations directly into your empty hands:
one weapon,
two weapons you can use with two weapon fighting,
a weapon you can wield in one hand and a shield.
You must be proficient in what you wish to summon, but otherwise choose what to summon when you transform. They may be either magic items you're attuned to, or created directly out of magical energy.

It's stronger than simply summoning a single weapon, allows heavy customization based on build, and lets you call your magical weapons without the (imo) clunky pact weapon mechanics.

Pyon
2015-09-26, 12:10 PM

On Magical Weapon Charm, it massively supports certain weapons over others. Greatsword is simply massively worse than the Greataxe, for instance. While this is a quirk that pops up in Half-Orc too, I don't think it works well here because it's more widespread and it limits character options in strange ways. The flavor, however, is pretty good so my recommendation would just be to move it over to an extra d6 across the board. Relative buff to some weapons, relative nerf to others, and it's still "This weapon is bigger and more awesome than normal."

As far as finding out if you need more or not, it should be easy enough to math out. I'd recommend looking for the DPR of a single-classed Bladelock and aiming for that.

Something Summons
(No prerequisite)
As part of your transformation action, you may summon one of the following combinations directly into your empty hands:
one weapon,
You must be proficient in what you wish to summon, but otherwise choose what to summon when you transform. They may be either magic items you're attuned to, or created directly out of magical energy.

It's stronger than simply summoning a single weapon, allows heavy customization based on build, and lets you call your magical weapons without the (imo) clunky pact weapon mechanics.

If you want to buff this ability even further you can treat the weapons as a magical weapon for the purposes of negating resistances.

Freelance GM
2015-09-26, 12:48 PM

Something Summons
(No prerequisite)
one weapon,

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure how that Half-Orc ability worked with Greatswords, but I made this one work the same way for the sake of consistency. The extra D6 isn't bad, though.

That summoning ability is insanely useful. I'm guessing that, like Durable Form, it activates during a Transformation but is not a Transformation Effect. I'd also rule (for flavor and a bit of an extra edge) that ranged weapons created in this way have infinite mundane ammo. That gives the ability the extra bit of power it needs to (IMO) be worth one of your 5 Charm slots.

This way, Ryuko-like characters who carry their weapons around in a giant case can still do so, but ones who would like to be able to summon/create their own can, too.

Also, I've got an idea for the new Finishing Move! charm. (Yes, the exclamation point is part of the name.)

Finishing Move!
Before you make an attack roll, you may declare a Finishing Move. If the attack hits, it is automatically a Critical Hit. Additionally, the target must make a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC before you roll for damage. Enemies with more than 1/2 their hit points automatically succeed on this saving throw. On a failure, you do not roll damage. Instead, the enemy takes the maximum amount of damage possible. Once you declare a Finishing Move, you may not attempt another one until you take a short or long rest.
At 9th level: Your Finishing Move deals 15 additional damage.
At 13th level: Your Finishing Move deals an additional 15 damage (for a total bonus of +30 damage.)
At 17th level: If the enemy fails its saving throw, it dies immediately.

I like it because you call it before you roll, and it depends on the attack hitting. So, making a Finishing Move requires a bit of setup. But, if it hits, well, a Level 3 human Safety Girl with Finishing Move!, Augmented Ability (Strength) and a greatsword can do a respectable 27 (4d6+3) to 37 (GWM feat) damage in one shot. At 9th level, the character deals between 43 and 53 damage. At level 13, with the Magical Weapon charm, the damage increases to 71-81 damage in one swing.

How's that for a damage increase? (I know, it's only one shot, but it is once per encounter.) Oh, and by my RAW, an Understanding Girl can combine it with a Spell Attack. Even a basic Fire Bolt turned into a finishing move would be pretty nasty. Combine with True Strike and/or the Lucky feat for the most shenanigans.

Pyon
2015-09-26, 01:24 PM
Alright, now with finishing move I'm loving it! You could even add a small Charm to help out in it's execution. Something as simple as: Your heirloom begins to grow when it senses the strongest enemy nearby go under 40% hp

Freelance GM
2015-09-26, 03:49 PM
Okay, version 3 is up!

Both archetypes got a major makeover, as there is now a level 10 ability. Understanding Girl listened to a lot of your feedback, and now can add her CHA mod to damage. I'm especially proud of Safety Girl's level 6 ability, because it almost makes the Charger feat worth taking.

Lost one charm, gained two more. Unshakeable form got cut, because you no longer need to concentrate on your transformation. Conjured Weapons and Finishing Move! got added in.

Cantrips now allows you to cast any cantrip you know while you are not transformed. Magical Weapon was overhauled, as well. A pretty powerful synergy between the new Conjured Weapons and the old Magical Weapon was added.

Added a new ability called Strength of Spirit at level 15, which lets you substitute a Charisma saving throw for another saving throw a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier.

Power of Friendship now gives you immunity instead of advantage, and gets a longer range at level 18.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-26, 03:57 PM
Understanding Girl listened to a lot of your feedback

Sure she listened, but did she really understand?

Pyon
2015-09-26, 05:28 PM
I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm loving it! Very well done. I definitely want to play it now. For that I need a campaign though...

There is a tidbit that struck me as funny though.

"Size. You become a medium humanoid creature, regardless of what your original form was."

I can now imagine a dwarven sailor moon. Dwarf by day, justice bringer of the moon by night!

SodaDarwin
2015-09-26, 08:04 PM
The Magical Girl swears to defend the innocent, and protect the week.
I'm surprised nobody commented on that little error yet :smallbiggrin:
...protect the week. Promise of Time, anyone?

I love this homebrew, absolutely love it.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-27, 03:54 AM
I definitely want to play it now. For that I need a campaign though...

Me too, though I think we should wait for some other options to be homebrewed first.

Has anyone been reading the Genre Mashup thread in Roleplaying Games? I'm thinking someone should run a Magical Girl x Underdark Exploration campaign. Or maybe Magical Girl x Extraplanar Adventure set in the City of Brass.

Ooh, or even Magical Girl x Feywild! Double-homebrew madness!

Freelance GM
2015-09-27, 04:37 AM
I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm loving it! Very well done.

I love this homebrew, absolutely love it.

Me too, though I think we should wait for some other options to be homebrewed first.

Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback, everyone! I guess these two archetypes are polished enough to be playtested. In the mean time, I'll finish up the Friendship promise, and put some thought into that villainous archetype for Dark Magical Girls.

Pyon
2015-09-27, 05:55 AM
Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback, everyone! I guess these two archetypes are polished enough to be playtested. In the mean time, I'll finish up the Friendship promise, and put some thought into that villainous archetype for Dark Magical Girls.

The cool thing about the villainous archetype is it would be kind of like the "Oathbreaker". Maybe this Magical Girl's promise is dark, or she forgoes her promise? You've mentioned Ryuuko Matoi and during parts of her quest she breaks the promise she made with Senketsu or gives up on avenging her father, instead fighting for revenge on her own behalf. Hell, even fighting for revenge itself seems fitting for a dark magical girl.

Plus if there are four promises, you can have four unique magical girls in a party!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-27, 06:10 AM
Ooh, what about an 'Overdrawn at the Blood Bank' charm in honour of Kill la Kill? Maybe something that makes you more powerful when you're low on health?

Pyon
2015-09-27, 06:24 AM
If we are taking inspirations from magical girl genres can the find familiar feature add a wombat as a choice of familiar? If you don't get that reference you haven't watched the greatest magical boy show ever.

Grayfigure
2015-09-27, 05:17 PM
I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm loving it! Very well done. I definitely want to play it now. For that I need a campaign though...

There is a tidbit that struck me as funny though.

"Size. You become a medium humanoid creature, regardless of what your original form was."

I can now imagine a dwarven sailor moon. Dwarf by day, justice bringer of the moon by night!

Totally would be in for a anime based campaign in DnD5e. I'd try to talk the dm into letting me run my Avatar of Blades concept though, fair warning. :P

Pyon
2015-09-27, 05:48 PM
Well as Ninja said, once it's done with all of the options out we can make a "Finding a GM" thread. Unless Freelance wants to GM, because then I think we would only be missing a player.

JNAProductions
2015-09-27, 05:49 PM
Ooh! Ooh! I'll play!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-27, 05:52 PM
I call dibs on a quiet, brooding loner! Possibly even a male character?

JNAProductions
2015-09-27, 05:54 PM
I call dibs on Lyrical Nanoha.

Pyon
2015-09-27, 05:58 PM
I CALL DIBS ON DAIJOBOU GENKI-DESU!!! AKA I WILL THE HYPER ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although seeing as how we'd all basically be wanting to play the same class we would need the campaign to not be dependent on other stats right? We'd mostly all have high charisma. I think if we all take different promises it would be fine since they are basically fighter, mage, healer, and whatever the last one will be.

JNAProductions
2015-09-27, 06:00 PM
I'll be good filling whatever mechanical void is left by the rest of you guys, I just want to be Nanoha.

D&D just isn't mechanically ready for all the lasers Nanoha can truly wield.

Starlight... BREAKER!!!!!!

Freelance GM
2015-09-27, 06:23 PM
Well as Ninja said, once it's done with all of the options out we can make a "Finding a GM" thread. Unless Freelance wants to GM, because then I think we would only be missing a player.

I wish I could! Even though I love GM'ing (hence the username), I have zero experience with PbP's, and I'm currently up to my neck in schoolwork.

Although seeing as how we'd all basically be wanting to play the same class we would need the campaign to not be dependent on other stats right? We'd mostly all have high charisma. I think if we all take different promises it would be fine since they are basically fighter, mage, healer, and whatever the last one will be.

I feel like to find out if the class is truly balanced, at least one of us would need to play a core 5E class, in a core 5E game. This hypothetical game could just be one-shots at 1st, 3rd, 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, so that we can see the class at various stages, and so that we could take turns trying out the MG.

Heck, you could even do Adventurer's League adventures, to make things easier for the GM, and to eliminate GM shenanigans/play preferences from the test. (How long would one of those take with a PbP anyways? Like I said, zero experience with them.)

Oh, by the way, first draft of the Friendship promise.

Promise of Friendship
[flavor text coming soon!]

Transformed Expertise. At first level, your transformation has a dominating presence that demands attention. You gain proficiency in the Persuasion and Performance skills. While you are transformed, you add twice your proficiency bonus to Charisma (Persuasion), and Charisma (Performance) checks.

Inspiring Presence. At first level, you can use your transformation’s personality to inspire others. As a bonus action on your turn while you are transformed, you can generate an inspiring presence. Maintaining an inspiring presence requires concentration, as if it were a spell. Any ally within 30 feet who can see and hear you may add 1/2 of your Charisma modifier, rounded down (minimum 1) to a single ability check, attack roll, or saving throw they make on their turn. Each time you transform, you may use your Inspiring Presence for a total number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier plus 1/2 your level, rounded down. The rounds do not have to be consecutive.

Guiding Attacks. At 6th level, your attacks focus on allowing your friends succeed. When you take the attack action, you may forego your second attack. If you do, you may grant an ally within 5 feet of your target advantage on their next attack roll against that target.

Improved Presence. At 10th level, your Inspiring Presence grants a bonus equal to your full Charisma modifier.

Extended Presence. By14th level, your Inspiring Presence has a range of 60 feet, and no longer has a limit on the number of rounds it may be used.

JNAProductions
2015-09-27, 06:28 PM
Guiding Attack doesn't work as written-you don't normally get a second attack.

I'm a dumb, ignore me.

Pyon
2015-09-27, 06:40 PM
Oh I think I found a concept I want to run! Would this be possible: Take the Great Weapon Master feat, Attack once, declare finishing move on the second attack, score the crit and then attack once more because of scoring a crit? A magical girl with a greatsword sounds awesome.

Freelance GM
2015-09-27, 07:46 PM
Oh I think I found a concept I want to run! Would this be possible: Take the Great Weapon Master feat, Attack once, declare finishing move on the second attack, score the crit and then attack once more because of scoring a crit? A magical girl with a greatsword sounds awesome.

By RAW, yes. Which is pretty awesome. I forgot that 5E's "cleave" triggered on a crit as well as killing an enemy. If you roll a natural 20 on an attack, you could even declare your Bonus Action attack to be a Finishing Move! for the most damage possible.

Pyon
2015-09-27, 07:53 PM
Yep. So if we make a Magical Girl campaign, I call dibs on safety. I want to get some finishing moves in C:

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-28, 12:56 AM

Genki girl + heavy weapon?

https://31.media.tumblr.com/d5fffbbbd9e9d0cf0e8ef425aea5a50a/tumblr_mtrd2oRH571rq5fzso2_500.gif
https://38.media.tumblr.com/da1be3b9c7b8dd40373691166d7f25d4/tumblr_inline_ntmt7rHoz41s67jct_500.gif

Pyon
2015-09-28, 06:05 AM
Ok so now for some theory crafting! Would a Safety Magical Girl 17/Paladin 3 be any good? I was thinking that at 17 with safety you get a lot of the strong abilities, and magical weapons. Plus finishing move. Then with finishing move, you can use your spell slots to smite on the crit. Although we won't be able to smite with the Magical Girl's spell slots, a 2d6 added on top is always nice! By taking path of the avenger, you also get advantage on attack rolls for a single target. Hell, if you really want something dead you could smite on all three of the attacks you get with the combo for some insane damage. Oh you can also pick up the great weapon fighting style from Paladin which is a plus.

EDIT: And I didn't even mention Hunter's Mark C:

Freelance GM
2015-09-28, 08:06 AM
Ok so now for some theory crafting! Would a Safety Magical Girl 17/Paladin 3 be any good? I was thinking that at 17 with safety you get a lot of the strong abilities, and magical weapons. Plus finishing move. Then with finishing move, you can use your spell slots to smite on the crit. Although we won't be able to smite with the Magical Girl's spell slots, a 2d6 added on top is always nice! By taking path of the avenger, you also get advantage on attack rolls for a single target. Hell, if you really want something dead you could smite on all three of the attacks you get with the combo for some insane damage. Oh you can also pick up the great weapon fighting style from Paladin which is a plus.

EDIT: And I didn't even mention Hunter's Mark C:

Ah, the fun part! Finding out if the class is still balanced with Multiclass combinations!

Also, you all know Hex is on the MG spell list, right?

Pyon
2015-09-28, 08:21 AM
Oh... Yeah Hex is definitely better than Hunter's Mark. Cool!

Other than that, maybe a ranger dip could also be good for an archer. There is something that might need to be worded. Does the ammunition magically appear in your hands when you conjure a weapon? Or do you get a quiver from where you can draw arrows? Because with Extra Magic you could take Swift Quiver if it's the later.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-28, 08:35 AM
Apart from Finishing Move! (which should be restricted to 13th level characters, in my opinion), I can't see any obvious exploits.

The Altered Ability charm makes this class very friendly to multiclassing - especially if you're only casting when transformed. Then you can easily dump Cha without any loss of power, and if you get heavy armour proficiency from a 1-level dip, you can dump Dex too. Then you're free to play whatever you want!

Pyon
2015-09-28, 08:46 AM
Apart from Finishing Move! (which should be restricted to 13th level characters, in my opinion), I can't see any obvious exploits.

The Altered Ability charm makes this class very friendly to multiclassing - especially if you're only casting when transformed. Then you can easily dump Cha without any loss of power, and if you get heavy armour proficiency from a 1-level dip, you can dump Dex too. Then you're free to play whatever you want!

Finishing move at 13 would make my build come online really late :c Although I still have no idea what kind of distribution to use for it anyways. I guess heavy armor with a 1 level dip in Paladin at the start but that really delays the fun stuff.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-09-28, 12:38 PM
Seeing the Friendship thing reminds me: I don't seem to see the single most important aspect of any magical girl show: The Orbital Friendship Cannon.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaajV0mFSpI)

I also notice that you changed what weapons could be summoned from my initial suggestion. Adding the thrown weapons and ranged weapons is a good touch, but limiting the single melee weapon to two-handed limits einhand /versatile weapon using characters, and limiting the two weapons to just light limits usage of the Dual Wielder feat.

I'm also afraid that we're getting into the range of taxes, here: there are only 5 charms that you get, and the two weapon-focused charms have such synergy that I can't see any Safety character not taking them both. On top of that, giving them automatic +1/etc weapons limits potential DM reward. My original concept for the charm was just an pretty useful flavor thing; this is over the top strong.

Since summoning weaponry is such a central thing with mahou shoujo, my personal recommendation would be to just let them all summon their weapons at 3rd if they wish, but remove the magical bonuses (leaving the weapon as being treated as magical). This reduces the tax to Safety girls, maintains flavor, and allows special (relatively speaking) weapons to be handed out as reward or treasure.

However, I did spend some time napkining the numbers both with and without the magic damage bonus, and I've determined a couple of things:

TWF and GWF are surpisingly close, with TWF coming out slightly ahead starting at 13 due to the combined bonus damage dice of hex and Oversized Weapons. This is a concern to me, because Dex was already better defense-wise.
Safety, like most physical combat builds without one, is heavily encouraged to take a 1 level dip in fighter for the fighting style.
My reaction to the original oversized weapon mechanic was overzealous, but I stand by the overall sentiment.
The class comes out lower in damage compared to others at most levels, with it pulling ahead of comparable classes (Bladelock, etc) after 13-ish.

Overall, I have the following recommendations, in addition to the big one I had above:

Make Oversized Weapons scale with level and reduce the damage slightly (combining these with a removal of the magical weapon portion of the ability, moving it to the weapon summon ability). Something like 1/1d2 at 3, 1d2/1d4 at 9, 1d4/1d6 at 13, and 1d6/1d8 at 17 should be good.
Consider alternative transformation AC values for characters that want to be defensive, but not dex focused.
Give them a Fighting Style with a few extra options for the ones that want to be caster focused. This is consistent with the other half casters and removes the heavy encouragement to multiclass.

Pyon
2015-10-01, 09:54 AM
Seeing the Friendship thing reminds me: I don't seem to see the single most important aspect of any magical girl show: The Orbital Friendship Cannon.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaajV0mFSpI)

I also notice that you changed what weapons could be summoned from my initial suggestion. Adding the thrown weapons and ranged weapons is a good touch, but limiting the single melee weapon to two-handed limits einhand /versatile weapon using characters, and limiting the two weapons to just light limits usage of the Dual Wielder feat.

I'm also afraid that we're getting into the range of taxes, here: there are only 5 charms that you get, and the two weapon-focused charms have such synergy that I can't see any Safety character not taking them both. On top of that, giving them automatic +1/etc weapons limits potential DM reward. My original concept for the charm was just an pretty useful flavor thing; this is over the top strong.

Since summoning weaponry is such a central thing with mahou shoujo, my personal recommendation would be to just let them all summon their weapons at 3rd if they wish, but remove the magical bonuses (leaving the weapon as being treated as magical). This reduces the tax to Safety girls, maintains flavor, and allows special (relatively speaking) weapons to be handed out as reward or treasure.

However, I did spend some time napkining the numbers both with and without the magic damage bonus, and I've determined a couple of things:

TWF and GWF are surpisingly close, with TWF coming out slightly ahead starting at 13 due to the combined bonus damage dice of hex and Oversized Weapons. This is a concern to me, because Dex was already better defense-wise.
Safety, like most physical combat builds without one, is heavily encouraged to take a 1 level dip in fighter for the fighting style.
My reaction to the original oversized weapon mechanic was overzealous, but I stand by the overall sentiment.
The class comes out lower in damage compared to others at most levels, with it pulling ahead of comparable classes (Bladelock, etc) after 13-ish.

Overall, I have the following recommendations, in addition to the big one I had above:

Make Oversized Weapons scale with level and reduce the damage slightly (combining these with a removal of the magical weapon portion of the ability, moving it to the weapon summon ability). Something like 1/1d2 at 3, 1d2/1d4 at 9, 1d4/1d6 at 13, and 1d6/1d8 at 17 should be good.
Consider alternative transformation AC values for characters that want to be defensive, but not dex focused.
Give them a Fighting Style with a few extra options for the ones that want to be caster focused. This is consistent with the other half casters and removes the heavy encouragement to multiclass.

It would help my build if conjuring weapons became a normal class ability.

Rokku
2015-10-28, 02:18 PM
So having just read this class because someone wants to run it, it has a serious issue of not doing anything at first level. Seriously, even transformed (which I think should just be a flavor thing without limited durations, but that's neither here nor there) at best you're a fighter with no fighting style or heavy armor, or a spellcaster who has two cantrips and no spells. Better AC than normal, but still, *no* spells.

It needs a serious rewrite, is what I'm saying.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-28, 02:23 PM
So having just read this class because someone wants to run it, it has a serious issue of not doing anything at first level. Seriously, even transformed (which I think should just be a flavor thing without limited durations, but that's neither here nor there) at best you're a fighter with no fighting style or heavy armor, or a spellcaster who has two cantrips and no spells. Better AC than normal, but still, *no* spells.

I said that in this thread, and I asked our DM to start us at level 2, but... nothing. :smallannoyed:

I don't think it's terminal. It's only one level, and chances are we'll be getting most of our XP from non-combat things at first.

BlackestOfMages
2015-10-28, 02:52 PM
going to weight in here and agree with Rokku

transformation should be a flavour thing - it'd be shippy as all heck if you dropped like a fly because your useless when surprised, and unlike the giants old champion class, this does offer next to nothing when untransformed. requiring everyone else to rest between every time you ever do anything yourself just makes you a millstone, rather than an asset to the party.

I'd also say give the class cantrips right from level 1, regardless of archetype - give understanding some more, or maybe let them pull from other classes, but every class needs something to do that's not on a limited use - or give everyone cantrips from level 2 (still need that regardless as their still casters), understanding girls their extra from level 1 and a fighting style analogue for saftey

the class gets a lot better post level 1, but right now it has nothing

weighing into what Pyon said, conjured weapon would work a lot better as a class ability - its a central part of the mythos, and thus making it an option tax is a bit harsh. especially if your playing a saftey magical girl, as then its almost required. especialy if you keep the need for transformation, as then the fact it takes two turns (two bonus actions) to have a weapon means spending a few turns of combat standing around being a lemon.

maybe leave the charm to make the summoned weapon(s) get the +1s, but I'd give them the power to have summoned weapons as built in - and maybe let them attune magical weapons they find ala warlock so they don't loose out when the goodies are handed around.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-28, 03:02 PM
I guess we kinda kicked level 1 into the long grass during the initial PEACH, huh? The thing is, it was so much worse before we started reviewing it...

Transformation can't really be a fluff thing though. It is the foundation of the class, around which everything is built. It is the rage, the wildshape, the spellcasting. It is the point of being a Magical Girl. It's just a shame you can't do much with it at level 1.

BlackestOfMages
2015-10-28, 03:09 PM
Transformation can't really be a fluff thing though. It is the foundation of the class, around which everything is built. It is the rage, the wildshape, the spellcasting. It is the point of being a Magical Girl. It's just a shame you can't do much with it at level 1.

except it isn't - rage, wildshape and the like are all options, their not the only thing you can do and you're not useless if you don't use them or have used your choice for them. A barbarians still a brilliant melee fighter, a druid still has their spellcasting, a fighter without action surge still has 4 attacks. a magical girl without using transformation has nothing - and she can only transforms once between rests

now this isn't to say it has to be dropped completly, but if you need to be in magical girl form to use any of your abilities, then it can't be a one use thing. either free up some options for when their untransformed, or else give it more than one use

also, the level 20 ability to have three uses of a transformation and the the level 20 ability to have infinite transformations really don't gell :smallwink:

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-28, 03:27 PM
also, the level 20 ability to have three uses of a transformation and the the level 20 ability to have infinite transformations really don't gell :smallwink:

Yeah, that's a bit wonky. I don't pay a lot of attention to 20th-level features when I'm critiquing (and Promise Fulfilled was something completely different in the first draft).

BlackestOfMages
2015-10-28, 04:10 PM
but yeah, the magical girl class needs something it can do at level one, even disregarding different opinions on transformation; maybe bring charm casting down to a level 1 ability - they're magic before melee, after-all. that's why I suggest cantrips for all without needing to transform; its unique among half-casters, gives them a more magical feel compared to the ranger/paladin and dosen't tread on the toes of the full casters.

I'd also give the class martial weapons regardless of specilization if they're a half-caster

as right now they can't compare to any class - saftey magical girls have similar ac to other melee classes while transformed (as no armour options offsets the boost from transformation), but lack the fighter's fighting styles to give them the edge on attacks, they're more fragile than a paladin due to a far shallower dice pool and lack the healing, a rouge hits harder and has the skill advantages, a barbarian has the same defences, mugh higher resilience due to resistence to physical attacks and the double use of rage means they can use their version of transform more, and the monk also has the matching defence and their martial arts means double attacks and built in finesse

on the caster side of things, since they lack any options for melee as understanding means its hard to compare them to anything but full casters, and at that they're just... bad. same number of cantrips but no full spells means that they just do not compare in any way besides a bit harder to hit - unless the full caster used mage armour.

OK, they're better than a ranger, but thats not saying much :smallbiggrin:

lastly, to tie into other half-casters, I'd say definatly do think about a fighting style option - every other midcaster (and melee fighter) has one after all :smallbiggrin:

building into the plan of nigh infinite spells for a midcaster, maybe take a page from the rage book - rage offers nearly the same level of general advantages (as they build up), and starts at 2 uses and goes all the way up to 6. it would help fix the issue of you being almost useless pre level 12 as you'd need to be sure this was the the fight before you could risk using any class feature

Rokku
2015-10-28, 06:08 PM
I also think the second attack should be woven into Safety, with some other feature replacing it in the main class and a comparative buff to Knowledge. I'd start with the Bard schools as a basis and tweak from there.

BlackestOfMages
2015-10-28, 06:52 PM
I also think the second attack should be woven into Safety, with some other feature replacing it in the main class and a comparative buff to Knowledge. I'd start with the Bard schools as a basis and tweak from there.

I dunno, I think the second attack works - the plan here was a half-caster hybrid ala ranger/paladin - not a full caster like bard.

Grayfigure
2015-10-28, 08:15 PM

I think the second attack is fine, though perhaps rewritten to allow understanding girl to fire off 2 cantrips, so U girl doesn't have to wade into melee to take advantage of it.

As for lack of spells at first level, I think U girl will be fine, due to access the the harder hitting cantrips of 5th edition. Remember, Warlocks start only a little better with 1 spell slot and the same number of cantrips. Now Safety girl may need a little help in that regard.

That being said, I do think that giving them access to a second use of their form will also help the low level blessed a bit.

Oh yeaj! Maybe give S girl access to the new Sword Coast Adventurer's guide cantrips.........

Michael7123
2015-10-29, 09:46 PM
For the misty transformation, the description says you gain heavy cover. In 5e, heavy cover doesn't exist. There's half cover, three quarter's cover, and total cover (see page 196 of the PHB for details.) Which type of cover is it?

Secondly, does the smoke obscure your vision as well as that of your enemies? Would it be possible to shoot a bow out of the smoke without incurring a penalty?

Finally, does the smoke move as you move, or does it stay put in the place where you transformed.

Freelance GM
2015-10-30, 11:36 AM

I got a chance to try out a Safety Girl in a one-shot DM'ed by one of my players and I got annihilated. So, yeah, Level 1 definitely needs more firepower. I absolutely agree with you there.

For the misty transformation, the description says you gain heavy cover. In 5e, heavy cover doesn't exist. There's half cover, three quarter's cover, and total cover (see page 196 of the PHB for details.) Which type of cover is it?

Secondly, does the smoke obscure your vision as well as that of your enemies? Would it be possible to shoot a bow out of the smoke without incurring a penalty?

Finally, does the smoke move as you move, or does it stay put in the place where you transformed.

I meant 3/4 Cover. The smoke obscures your vision as well as an enemy's, but it lingers at the spot where you transformed.

EDIT: You know what, though, in the next version, it will probably work more like a miniature Fog Cloud. Cover is usually reserved for things that actually offer physical protection.

I really appreciate all of the advice I'm getting from you all, and I'm glad I'm getting good criticism. You guys are being pretty ruthless in your deconstruction, and I love it. Right now, what I'm hearing is that I've got a cool idea, and reasonably solid mechanics, but I was a bit too conservative with the class's abilities. As a result, it's mechanically interesting to play, but not effective enough to compare to the other base classes.

Just so you all know, I'm still keeping an eye on this and listening to your feedback, but I haven't had a chance to work on it due to schoolwork. I am still interested in finishing it, though. The next version should be coming soon after my classes end, most likely some time in late November.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Estralita
2015-10-30, 12:38 PM
I think that you've got something good here, just need something extra. And you are being very considerate, which helps.:smallsmile: Here's my thoughts:

One of the reasons I was hesitant to try out a MG was because I agree with some of the other posters here: The MG can't really do anything at level 1. The most obvious comparision, to me, is the Barbarian rage ability. Like the MG, a Barbarian is pretty much built around their rage. The main difference is that while the barbarian doesn't get proficiency to damage or advantage on strength check, they can still poke things with their weapons, and their Unarmored Defense is always on. An MG can do nothing that any other class couldn't do when not transformed. And unfortunately, at lower levels at least, the transformation isn't powerful enough to compensate.

I agree that there needs to be more a Magical Girl can do outside of her transformation. I personally would like at least some of that to be non-combat, to help the MG contribute when there's no fighting to be done, and not having to transform every time they need to open a door. I know cantrips and cantrips outside of transformation have been brought up before, and also that there have been some concerns about making the Transformation itself redundant. What about allowing only utility cantrips like Mage Hand and Minor Illusion used outside of the transformation? It would encourage the MG to make creative use of their cantrips in situations where they don't want to immediately fight, and then bring out the big guns when they are ready. I also agree that bumping up that number of transformations might be nice.

For combat, Safety MG has a more obvious answer. Add a fighting style when transformed, and give access to one of the new weapon cantrips from Sword Coast Adventure. Understanding is a bit harder. I feel like they need a bit of an extra oomph, to make them more attractive mechanically. Basically, something that gives an advantage over the Wizard and the Sorcerer in blasting. I think MG need an equivalent to Eldritch Blast. A simple blasting attack, but one that you want to keep using, because it's just that good. It doesn't have to be exactly like that, but something of similar power or usefulness.

One other thing that jumped out at me was the lack of healing spells. Some MG heal. It was practically part of Sailor Moon's job description.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-30, 12:45 PM
One other thing that jumped out at me was the lack of healing spells. Some MG heal. It was practically part of Sailor Moon's job description.

Would it make sense to build a whole promise around healing and Abjuration abilities? I'm thinking... Promise of Love?

BlackestOfMages
2015-10-30, 12:50 PM
Would it make sense to build a whole promise around healing and Abjuration abilities? I'm thinking... Promise of Love?

ooooh that sounds quite good - be an interesting class to play; a half-fighter with major support potential

and like Est said; a lot of MG spells do seem to be healing and purification (often performed through laser, but still good lasers)

Grayfigure
2015-10-31, 02:43 PM
Just had an odd idea:

how about, outside of transformations, MGs get cantrips. Think of it as a symbol of the Promise made. they could be thematic (ranged cantrip/s for UGirl, melee cantrip/s for SGirl, invent a 'Sacrifice' healing cantrip (at cost of hp) for possible HealingGirl).

Now here's the kicker:

Once the MGs use their transformation, they get a damage bonus to their cantrips. I would put the damage somewhere between a modifier bonus (pretty low since this is first lvl) all the way up to dbl the damage of the attack (for some oomph). HealingGirl (may never be a thing, but just in case lol) could either lessen the damage she takes for using her Sac cantrip, or cut the damage altogether for a now powerful heal mechanic while transformed.

This will give the MG something they can do outside of transformations, but also give them some oomph to rely on when they are out of spell slots, but still have some transformation time to go. What do you guys think?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-31, 02:59 PM
Just had an odd idea:

how about, outside of transformations, MGs get cantrips. Think of it as a symbol of the Promise made. they could be thematic (ranged cantrip/s for UGirl, melee cantrip/s for SGirl, invent a 'Sacrifice' healing cantrip (at cost of hp) for possible HealingGirl).

Now here's the kicker:

Once the MGs use their transformation, they get a damage bonus to their cantrips. I would put the damage somewhere between a modifier bonus (pretty low since this is first lvl) all the way up to dbl the damage of the attack (for some oomph). HealingGirl (may never be a thing, but just in case lol) could either lessen the damage she takes for using her Sac cantrip, or cut the damage altogether for a now powerful heal mechanic while transformed.

This will give the MG something they can do outside of transformations, but also give them some oomph to rely on when they are out of spell slots, but still have some transformation time to go. What do you guys think?

It could work. And I've always advocated for cantrips outside of transformation (I've taken the Magic Initiate feat in the game we're playing).

One thing I have been thinking is how all the magic interfaces with Extra Attack. I'm wondering if '1 action = 1 weapon attack + 1 cantrip' should be a basic thing for all MGs and '1 action = 2 cantrips' could be a feature of the promise of understanding.

Because my build (promise of darkness, focussing on spell attacks) is almost never going to use Extra Attack. The only case I can think of is when I get the Conjured Weapon charm - then I could summon an Assault Rifle +1 and shout "SUPPRESSING FIRE!" whenever I want area damage but don't want to use a spell slot. In a 'vanilla' setting though, having two weapon attacks is not going to compete with cantrip damage.

Maybe the sensible thing to do is make it so MGs can only use cantrips when they make a weapon attack. Or, like, they wouldn't be actual cantrips, they'd be more like Divine Smite. I don't know. It's kind of gnawing on the back of my mind.

Grayfigure
2015-11-01, 11:35 AM
It could work. And I've always advocated for cantrips outside of transformation (I've taken the Magic Initiate feat in the game we're playing).

One thing I have been thinking is how all the magic interfaces with Extra Attack. I'm wondering if '1 action = 1 weapon attack + 1 cantrip' should be a basic thing for all MGs and '1 action = 2 cantrips' could be a feature of the promise of understanding.

Because my build (promise of darkness, focussing on spell attacks) is almost never going to use Extra Attack. The only case I can think of is when I get the Conjured Weapon charm - then I could summon an Assault Rifle +1 and shout "SUPPRESSING FIRE!" whenever I want area damage but don't want to use a spell slot. In a 'vanilla' setting though, having two weapon attacks is not going to compete with cantrip damage.

Maybe the sensible thing to do is make it so MGs can only use cantrips when they make a weapon attack. Or, like, they wouldn't be actual cantrips, they'd be more like Divine Smite. I don't know. It's kind of gnawing on the back of my mind.

Well, either that, or re-engineer extra attack to grant either a second attack or double the MG's cantrip usage (i.e., attack twice, or cantrip twice, or mix and match). I think that could work. I don't think they should be able to do it out the gate, but the idea you posted may be the right track.

Estralita
2015-11-03, 08:00 PM
I agree with the concept of Promise of Love. Now, onto some Magical Charms I think could be added. I do know a bit about magical girls, and what someone who wants to play one might expect:

Wings: Lots of magical girls have flying abilities, and a number of them having bright, feathery wings as part of the transformation. Several classes get at will flight by level 14, but if it can only work when transformed, I'd push it a bit earlier.

Glamours: One of Sailor Moon's early trinkets was a Disguise Wand. It would be similar to the Warlock Invocation that grants at will Alter-Self.

Secret Identity: This technically isn't a power, but from the way people behave in the genre, it might as well be. Unless the MG transforms directly in front of them, observers cannot connect the magical girl with her transformed self.

There's probably more, but I'm tired now.

Freelance GM
2015-11-25, 02:42 PM
School's out, and as promised, here it is...

THE MAGICAL GIRL (v3)
A demon rages through the hallways of the Arcane College, tearing students in half as they flee. One apprentice stands defiant, placing her fingertips on a jeweled bracelet. With a sudden flash, the girl transforms into a statuesque figure in magnificent white robes.
A young squire presents his signet ring to the blackguard. A swirling mist fills the area- and when it clears, a knight in shimmering golden armor stands where the squire was standing. He draws his oversized greatsword, and smirks beneath his armor.
Despite the name, Magical Girls are not necessarily female, but the most iconic characters of this class are. Magical Girls are mundane people with the extraordinary ability to transform into a powerful alternate form.

Keeping a Promise
There are two sources of a Magical Girl's power: a magical promise, and a heirloom given to the character. The Magical Girl makes a promise, and is given the heirloom. The heirloom allows the magical girl to transform. Transformation gives the Magical Girl the power to complete her promise. It is a cyclical relationship that constantly reminds the Magical Girl what she is fighting for.
Naturally, the new form provided by the transformation tends to embody the ideals of the promise. The new form may look and act more like the heirloom’s original owner than the Magical Girl using it.

Creating a Magical Girl
As you are creating a Magical Girl, the most important question is “what do you want to transform into?” Is your transformation some kind of beast-like form, a knight in shining armor, or an older, more regal version of your current self? Second, what does your transformation do? Do you rely on martial prowess or magical ability? This should tell you which Magical Promise to make.
The next step is to consider who your character made a promise to, as well as why. Is your Magical Promise with a ghost that lives in your Heirloom, an extra-planar being such as an angel, or an ideal? What can you do to fulfill that promise? Once your original goal is completed, how can you continue to uphold the terms of your Magical Promise?

Quick Build
You can quickly make a Magical Girl by following these suggestions. Charisma should be your highest ability score, followed by Dexterity or Constitution. Second, choose the Folk Hero background.

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Class Features
Spells Known
Spell Slot Level

+2
Magical Promise, Transformation (2/rest)

+2
Charm Casting

+2
Magical Charms

+2
Ability Score Increase

+3
Extra Attack

+3
Promise Feature

+3
Power of Friendship

+3
Ability Score Increase

+4
Magical Charm

+4
Promise Feature

+4
Transformation (3/rest)

+4
Ability Score Increase

+5
Magical Charm

+5
Promise Feature

+5
Strength of Spirit

+5
Ability Score Increase

+6
Magical Charm

+6

+6
Ability Score Increase

+6
Promise Fulfilled, Transformation (4/rest)

Hit Points
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Magical Girl level after first level.

Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor

Starting Equipment:
Your heirloom, which could be (a) a signet ring, (b) an amulet, (c) a set of fine clothes, or (d) a martial weapon of your choice.

At first level, you possess a unique heirloom that grants your magical powers. The heirloom can be any piece of mundane gear you possess, but it is typically a piece of jewelry, an article of clothing, or a weapon. You can use your heirloom as a spellcasting focus, and you must have your heirloom on your person to be able to use the Magical Girl's Transformation feature.

Magical Promise
At first level, a Magical Girl makes a promise to an extraordinary being in exchange for power. This Magical Promise determines the abilities and the manifestations of the Magical Girl's transformation. Choose one of the Magical Promises listed below.

Promise of Friendship
The Magical Girl dedicates herself to her allies, their ambitions, and their goals. Your transformation is an idol of sorts, a beautiful and inspiring leader.
Irresistible. At first level, you add 1/2 your proficiency bonus to Charisma checks you are not proficient in. While you are transformed, you have advantage on Charisma (Performance) and Charisma (Persuasion) checks.
Beacon of Inspiration. Starting at first level, your transformation is a beacon of inspiration to your allies. While you are transformed, you may use your reaction to add 1d4 to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw made by a friendly creature within 30 feet of you who can see you.
Inspiring Strike. At sixth level, your fighting style shifts to aiding your allies more than fighting alone. When you take the attack action, you may forfeit your second attack in order to give an ally within 5 feet of your target advantage on their next attack roll against that creature.
Improved Inspiration. Beginning at 10th level, you may use your Beacon of Inspiration ability even if you are not transformed. If you are transformed, friendly creatures add 1d8 to their roll, instead of 1d4.
Passive Inspiration At 14th level, your presence becomes an intoxicating aura of confidence. While you are transformed, friendly creatures within 30 feet of you may roll 1d4 and add the result to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw they make before the beginning of your next turn.

Promise of Safety
The Magical Girl swears to defend the innocent, and protect the weak. Your transformation is an avatar of battle, capable of taking on threats significantly more dangerous than you could hope to defeat alone.
Weapon Training. At first level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons, medium armor, and shields.
Transformed Fury. While you are transformed, you have a +2 bonus to damage rolls and your Armor Class. This bonus increases to +3 at 9th level, and +4 at 16th level.
Skilled Charger. At sixth level, you become especially adept at rushing your foes. If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line before making a melee weapon attack, you have advantage on your next attack roll.
One Body, Two Souls. Beginning at 10th level, your transformation can protect you from mortal harm. If you would be reduced to 0 hit points, or killed outright while you are transformed, you may end your Transformation in order to go to 1 hit point instead.
Purging Transformation At 14th level, your transformation reinvigorates your body. You can transform as long as you are conscious, even if you are not capable of taking actions. If you are incapacitated, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, restrained, or stunned, transforming immediately ends any number of those conditions currently affecting you.

Promise of Understanding
The Magical Girl's promise is to solve a mystery that eluded the one the promise was made to. Your transformation is a more competent spellcaster than others of your class.
Magical Form. Magical Girls with this promise have a little bit more spellcasting ability than their counterparts. At first level, you may choose two cantrips from the Magical Girl spell list.
Focused Blast. Whenever you cast a cantrip that requires a spell attack and deals damage, you may take a -5 penalty on your spell attack roll to gain a +10 bonus to damage.
Powerful Cantrips. At sixth level, your most basic spells become increasingly potent. Whenever you cast a cantrip that deals damage, you may add your Charisma modifier to the damage it deals on a hit. While you are transformed, whenever you cast a cantrip that requires a ranged spell attack, you may cast that cantrip a second time as a bonus action.
Magical Understanding. By 10th level, your Promise has given you a level of clarity that other people do not possess. You gain proficiency in Wisdom Saving Throws. While you are transformed, you have advantage on all saving throws against spells.
Signature Spell. At 14th level, you may choose a 1st-level spell you know. While you are transformed, you may cast that spell at-will as a first-level spell.

Transformation
As a bonus action, you can undergo a magical transformation into your alternate form. The transformation generally has a cosmetic change. This could be something minor, such as a difference in hair color, or it could be a major change, such as a new outfit suddenly appearing over your clothing. Transforming requires the Magical Girl's heirloom. In order to transform, you must be able to take actions, and your Heirloom must be on your person. You have two uses of your Transformation at first level, which return after a short or long rest. At 11th level, you gain a third use of transformation. At 20th level, you gain a fourth use.
Armor Class. While you are transformed, your Armor Class is equal to 10 + your dexterity modifier + your charisma modifier.
Duration. You can maintain your Transformation for up to one hour. If you are knocked unconscious, your transformation ends early.
Size. You become a medium humanoid creature, regardless of what your original form was.
Equipment. When you transform, you may choose to summon your radiant weapons, which can take one of the following forms:

Up to two thrown weapons which, if thrown, dissipate and reappear in your hands at the end of your turn.
Two light weapons.
Up to two one-handed weapons, or one-handed weapon and a shield.
A two-handed weapon.

These weapons are made of radiant energy, and shed bright light in a 5-foot radius. Since these weapons are made of light, they deal radiant damage and count as finesse weapons, in addition to any other properties those weapons may have. These radiant weapons cannot be wielded by anyone other than you, and dissipate as soon as they leave your hand. While you are wielding your radiant weapons, you may transform your current weapon (or weapons) into a different option, or dispel your radiant weapons completely. If you do not have your radiant weapons in hand, you may use your action to conjure them.

Charm Casting
At second level, Magical Girls gain access to a unique form of Spellcasting called Charm Casting, which can only be accessed by their transformed selves.
Each time you Transform, you gain two Spell Slots. The level of these Spell slots are shown on the Spell Level column on the table above. You can only use these spell slots while you are transformed; if you revert back to your normal form, any unused spell slots are wasted.
Spells Known. Magical Girls do not prepare spells. Instead, you choose spells from the Magical Girl spell list. You may only learn spells of a level no higher than what's shown in the Spell Slot column for your level.
Spell Save DC. Your Spell Save DC is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.
Focus. When you cast a spell that requires a material component, you may use your heirloom as a spellcasting focus.

Magical Charms
At third level, a Magical Girl's powers adjust themselves to be more in tune with their wielder's personality. At third level, you may choose two Magical Charms from the list below. You get one additional charm at 9th, 13th, and 17th levels. You may only take a Charm once, unless the charm says otherwise. When a charm mentions an Ability Score prerequisite, it means your character's natural form must have that ability score, not the Transformation.

Awoken Familiar
You can cast Find Familiar once per day, without a material component. Your familiar has an Intelligence and Wisdom score of 10 + your Charisma modifier. Your familiar can cast Augury once per long rest. When you reach 9th level, it can cast Divination once per long rest.

Altered Ability
When you choose this charm, pick an ability score. If the chosen ability is less than a 14, it becomes a 14 while you are transformed. It increases to an 18 at 9th level, a 20 at 13th level, or a 22 at 17th level. You may take this Charm multiple times, choosing a different Ability each time.

Blink Step
While you are transformed, you may spend one spell slot to gain bursts of superhuman speed. For the next minute, you can teleport 20 feet as a bonus action on your turn.

Blinding Transformation
Your transformation is especially bright. Creatures within 15 feet of you that can see you must make a Constitution saving throw against your Spell Save DC. On a failure, that creature is blinded for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. At the end of their turn, affected creatures may make a new saving throw, ending the blindness on a successful save.

Cantrips
You may cast Cantrips even if you are not transformed. You learn two cantrips from the Magical Girl spell list when you take this Charm, and you learn one additional cantrip at 9th, 13th, and 17th level.

Durable Form
When you transform, you gain a number of Temporary Hit points equal to 2d4 plus your Charisma modifier. The number of dice increases to 3d4 at 9th level, 4d4 at 13th level, and 5d4 at 17th level.

Elemental Favor
Choose acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. You are resistant to that kind of damage, even while you are not Transformed. At 13th level, you become immune instead. Additionally, while you are transformed, your radiant weapons may deal that kind of damage instead of radiant damage. You may take this Charm multiple times, but you must choose a different damage type each time.

Elemental Transformation
When you pick this Charm, choose acid, cold, fire, or lightning. Creatures within 10 feet of you must make a Dexterity saving throw against your Spell Save DC. On a failure They take 4d6 damage of the chosen type, or half as much on a successful save. The damage increases to 6d6 at 13th level.

Explosive Transformation
When you transform, there is a thunderous explosion. Creatures within 10 feet must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failure, they take 2d6 Thunder damage and are pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, they take half damage and are not pushed. The damage increases to 4d6 at 13th level.

Extra Magic
Choose two spells from any class's spell list. The spells must be a level you can cast with a casting time of one action, bonus action, or reaction. You add the chosen spells to your list of Spells Known. At 9th, 13th, and 17th level, you may choose to learn 1 additional spell.

Fearsome Transformation
Your transformation is terrible to behold. Creatures within 10 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw against your Spell Save DC or become frightened for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. At the end of their turn, affected creatures may make a new saving throw, ending the fear effect on a successful save.

Finishing Move!
When you hit a creature with a weapon or spell attack, you may declare a Finishing Move before you roll damage. Your target must immediately make a Constitution saving throw. If the enemy has more than 1/2 its hit points remaining, it automatically passes this saving throw. On a successful result, the creature takes normal damage from the attack. On a failed saving throw, the Finishing Move becomes a critical hit, but instead of rolling for damage, the attack deals maximum damage. If the amount of damage dealt is enough to kill the creature, you regain one use of this ability. Otherwise, you may not use this ability again until you complete a long rest.

Heirloom Independence
You may transform without your Heirloom. While you are not Transformed or wearing armor, your AC is equal to 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Charisma modifier.

Light Step
You can cast Feather Fall at-will without expending a spell slot. While you are transformed, your jump distance is tripled. At 13th level, you gain a fly speed equal to twice your walking speed while you are transformed.

Lingering Magic
When your Transformation ends, any un-used spell slots you have are not wasted. Instead, you may use those Spell Slots in your normal form. These spell slots last until you Transform again, or take a short rest.

Mass Appeal
Prerequisite: Promise of Friendship, 9th level
You may cast Dominate Person or Geas without expending a spell slot. Once you do, you may not cast either spell again until you complete a long rest. If you are at least 13th level, you may cast Mass Suggestion while you are transformed. Once you do, you may not do so again until you complete a long rest.

Enhanced Weapons
Choose one or two weapons you possess, or your radiant weapons. While you are wielding those weapons, they count as Magical. At 13th level, the weapons become oversized while you are transformed, dealing 1d8 additional damage.

Misty Transformation
Swirling fog or thick smoke exudes from you out to a 10-foot radius. This fog provides 3/4 cover, and lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier, or until it is dispersed by a strong wind.

Sacrifice
Prerequisite: 9th level.
Add Revivify to your list of spells known. You can cast Revivify without expending a spell slot, and without a material component, by ending your transformation. If you cast Revivify this way, you must also expend all of your hit dice, roll them, and take that much necrotic damage. Additionally, you may not transform again until you take a long rest.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action.

Power of Friendship
At 7th level, you become immune to being charmed or frightened, so long as there is an ally within 30 feet. Additionally, allies within 30 feet have Advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened. At 18th level, you are immune to being charmed or frightened so long as you can see an ally, and allies within 60 feet have advantage against being charmed or frightened.

Strength of Spirit
At 15th level, your dedication to your promise is so strong, it manifests as a protective barrier. When you need to make a saving throw using an ability other than Charisma, you may choose to make a Charisma saving throw instead. You may do this a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier. You regain expended uses when you complete a long rest.

Promise Fulfilled
At 20th level, you can find strength in your abilities, even when it seems hopeless or futile. If you roll initiative and have no uses of Transformation left, you regain one use.

Cantrips
Blade Ward
Dancing Lights
Fire Bolt
Friends
Light
Mage Hand
Minor Illusion
Ray of Frost
Sacred Flame
Shocking Grasp
Thaumaturgy
True Strike

1st Level
Bless
Charm Person
Compelled Duel
Cure Wounds
Divine Favor
Expeditious Retreat
Fog Cloud
Guiding Bolt
Healing Word
Hex
Magic Missile
Shield
Sleep
Searing Smite
Thunderous Smite
Wrathful Smite

2nd Level
Darkvision
Gust of Wind
Magic Weapon
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Scorching Ray
Shatter
Suggestion
Warding Bond

3rd Level
Blinding Smite
Blink
Counterspell
Daylight
Dispel Magic
Elemental Weapon
Fear
Fireball
Lightning Bolt
Revivify
Sending

4th Level
Banishment
Death Ward
Dimension Door
Freedom of Movement
Staggering Smite
Wall of Fire

5th Level
Banishing Smite
Cone of Cold
Destructive Smite
Flame Strike
Raise Dead
Wall of Force

Promise of Retribution
Sometimes, the Magical Girl’s promise is not a positive one. This corrupted promise results in a fearsome transformation. The Magical Girl’s new form is vicious and violent, constantly teetering on the edge of becoming something monstrous.
Negative Energy. Your radiant weapons are vicious and cruel. They deal necrotic damage instead of radiant damage.
Retribution. As a reaction to taking damage, you may target the creature that dealt damage to you with the fury of your Promise. Until that creature is dead, or reduced to 0 hit points, you have advantage on all attack rolls against that creature. You may use this ability a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier. You regain all uses of this ability when you take a long rest.
Ferocity. At sixth level, you ferociously assault your chosen foes. Whenever you roll damage, you may re-roll any 1’s or 2’s on any of the damage dice, but you must keep the new result.
Bathe in Blood. By 10th level, your need for retribution has descended into outright bloodlust. Whenever you kill an enemy targeted by your Retribution ability, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier plus your Magical Girl level.
Unstoppable! At 14th level, your perverted sense of justice has all but consumed you. While you are transformed, you stubbornly refuse to die. If you would be reduced to 0 hit points, or killed outright, you may attempt a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to 5 + the damage taken. On a success, you drop to 1 hit point instead.

Alright, so I listened to your feedback.

I couldn't justify Fighting Styles. Rangers and Paladins have them, yes, but they don't have access to every fighting style, and all of them fit the Magical Girl. Additionally, adding a Fighting Style option exclusive to the MG felt like betraying the universal nature of the mechanic. Instead, I opted to get that damage increase in other ways. Sometimes, it's more transparent than other times. The Promise of Retribution's level 6 ability is pretty clearly GWF, but not limited to two-handed weapons, and therefore slightly better/more unique.

I found a way for that "double-tap Cantrip" mechanic, so yay.
I seriously considered a Promise of Love, but instead opted for adding healing spells to the Spell List and adding one new Charm (Sacrifice.)

Due to popular demand, Friendship Girls are now a thing, with their own exclusive Charm (Mass Appeal).

Many other Charms and abilities were modified. Finishing Move, in particular, was completely rewritten.

A villainous "Retribution Girl" is also here, but it's a villainous class option not intended for PC's to use. While I'd value feedback on it, please try to keep PEACHing directed the other 3 archetypes.

I figured this was enough of an update for now, and I should wait and get some feedback before changing anything else.

But yeah, happy (slightly early) Thanksgiving, everyone!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-25, 03:55 PM
Woo!

I don't have time to PEACH right now, but it's good to see that you're still working on this.

Our PbP game seems to have died, unfortunately. I wish I had more time to DM things...

Pyon
2015-11-27, 11:23 AM
Love this! I think this really buffed my conceptualized Nika Arch Paladin, maybe she's even too strong in comparison to the mage. This fixed a problem I was having with what charms to pick up and when. I also love the flavor on a lot of the things! Overall an amazing update in my immediate reaction. Ditto to Ninja's post though... Our PbP didn't even have time to take off.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-11-27, 12:04 PM
The addition you made to Safety does nothing to help with the issues of Dex and dual wielding being the strongest, nor did it help with the temptation to multiclass. All it did was allow Dex-based characters the ability to get up to 26 (10 + 6 Dex + 6 Cha + 4 Transformed Fury) AC, surpassing any other player option in the game by about 2 AC (Level 20 barbarians with a 24 Con, 20 Dex, and a Shield) while still being the strongest damage-wise due to the damage dice provided by Enhanced Weapons and now the massive bonus to damage provided by Transformed Fury.

The massive defenses they have are even worse if they decide they want to be dex / shield focused, then their AC goes up to an unheard of 29 (+1 Defense fighting style, +2 Shield)!

Foxhound438
2015-11-29, 12:00 AM
so my only grievances so far are
a) the free magic weapons from whichever feature it was. warlock's blade pact lets you make a magic weapon into your pact weapon, but doesn't give it for free. perhaps a similar thing could be used here?
b) the elemental transformation doing 4d6 at L3 is a bit op, maybe drop to 2d6, gaining one per play tier(5/11/17). same for explosive.
c) altered ability should be a flat +2, to a max of 22. that way you have a natural scaling with ability score improvements, without being able to dump on a stat and then cheese it to 22 during a fight.
d) finishing move should have a level prequisite, it's extremely powerful. probably 13th.
e)11th level should give a bit more, having a second transformation use is good but its not really enough for going into the 3rd tier of play. the only thing that makes it maybe strong enough is getting spell slots, but there's still room for improvement at this level.
f)cantrips charm is worse if you take it at 17th level? or maybe you should reword so it's clear you get x total cantrips at nth level, regardless of when you take it... same for extra magic

otherwise i really like it, the syntax is a bit different so it's hard to fine-tooth-comb this for op features, but overall it definitely seems balanced. maybe add some more charms with level restrictions for a better sense of scaling power with them. a half-casting warlock seems fun, at least.

edits for v3:
1) having multiple transormations from the get-go gives you 4 spell slots on a half warlock from level 2. i advise either reducing the slots per transform, or going back to one to start and 2 at L11
2) transformed fury is too strong, go back to movement or lose the ac bonus. a bit of rage-power esque is fine, but rage doesn't boost ac no matter how high level a barbarian is. not to mention dex rage is stat cheesing.
3) focused blast is the equivalent of a feat, go back to just cantrips for that one
4) casting two cantrips is overpowered. cantrips scale on their own with level, so you really don't need to cast one twice for free. hence why there is no vanilla "cast two cantrips for free", the only thing close is quicken, being limited use itself. adding a modifier is enough, even for 8th level clerics
5) finesse greatwsword is stat cheesing, so no free finesse. if someone wants a greatsword for damage, they should have to lose ac to get the damage.

it seems you have been influenced into making your custom class op...

Foxhound438
2015-11-29, 12:36 AM

paladins and rangers are pretty lackluster at L1 as well

Freelance GM
2015-11-29, 05:46 AM
The massive defenses they have are even worse if they decide they want to be dex / shield focused, then their AC goes up to an unheard of 29 (+1 Defense fighting style, +2 Shield)!

so my only grievances so far are
1) having multiple transormations from the get-go gives you 4 spell slots on a half warlock from level 2. i advise either reducing the slots per transform, or going back to one to start and 2 at L11
2) transformed fury is too strong, go back to movement or lose the ac bonus. a bit of rage-power esque is fine, but rage doesn't boost ac no matter how high level a barbarian is. not to mention dex rage is stat cheesing.
3) focused blast is the equivalent of a feat, go back to just cantrips for that one
4) casting two cantrips is overpowered. cantrips scale on their own with level, so you really don't need to cast one twice for free. hence why there is no vanilla "cast two cantrips for free", the only thing close is quicken, being limited use itself. adding a modifier is enough, even for 8th level clerics
5) finesse greatwsword is stat cheesing, so no free finesse. if someone wants a greatsword for damage, they should have to lose ac to get the damage.

it seems you have been influenced into making your custom class op...

And so the pendulum swings from "underpowered" to "overpowered."

1) Good call on the spells, I will probably do this. 1 spell per Transformation at 1st level, 2 at 11th level.
2) The intent here was to provide an alternative to Fighting styles. Now that I think about it some more, it doesn't really work that way; it just makes the fighting styles even better if you decide to multi-class.
3) Eh, it's 1/2 of a feat... Still worth a second look due to number 4.
4)

Well, either that, or re-engineer extra attack to grant either a second attack or double the MG's cantrip usage (i.e., attack twice, or cantrip twice, or mix and match). I think that could work. I don't think they should be able to do it out the gate, but the idea you posted may be the right track.
Reasonably common suggestion, I thought it might give the Understanding Girl the boost she seemed to need. Will go in, do the math, and reconsider.
5) This is more of an example of flavor =/= mechanics. I threw that in as an afterthought, because it didn't really make sense for energy weapons to rely on STR. I forgot to consider that DEX was already over-used by the class.

I'll probably bite the bullet and throw in Fighting Styles. Since Half-classes only get 4 of the options, Duelist will probably be the odd-one-out. Why? For a subclass called "Promise of Safety," I can't justify leaving out Protection or Guardian. GWF and TWF are fairly common tropes for characters like this, so they'd have to stay, too. The Duelist style also encourages using a shield, and based on Ilorin Lorati's feedback, we should probably avoid that unless they REALLY want to be defensive.

There's nothing wrong with a Half-Class like this getting their Fighting Styles at level 2 as well as Spellcasting, so we'll probably switch Safety Girl back over to fast movement. Alternatively, the bonuses from Transformed Fury could be dropped to +1 AC/+1 damage, and not scale.

I've got to run off to work now, so I don't have time to make any of the changes I'm pitching here. Opinions?

And, as always, thank you all for your delightfully ruthless feedback. I'm learning a lot of lessons from this, which is making it an exceptionally fun project.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-11-29, 12:44 PM
Thankfully, it's not something hard to fix. My recommendations are to

give Safety / Retribution access to a fighting style instead of what they have right now (though I wouldn't give it at 1, since that's a fighter thing to get it so early)
change the line for the Transformed Armor Class to this

Armor Class: While you are transformed and not wearing armor, your armor class is equal to 10 + your Dexterity Modifier + your Charisma modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

Add a charm that lets the Magical Girl equip armor she owns (regardless of whether or not it's in her possession at the time; gotta keep that flavor of SUDDEN FRIENDSHIP/DEATH MACHINE) that she's proficient with as part of her transformation action.

Personally, I think the Altered Ability charm is a cause of a lot of the problems, and would recommend it be nerfed. Adding +2 to a chosen stat (and increasing the cap for that stat by 2 after 16th level) would keep the flavor but not allow the edge cases of a Magical Girl being able to get High Dex AND High Con AND High Charisma, basically becoming an ubertank at mid levels.

Foxhound438
2015-11-30, 06:41 PM
4)

Reasonably common suggestion, I thought it might give the Understanding Girl the boost she seemed to need. Will go in, do the math, and reconsider.
5) This is more of an example of flavor =/= mechanics. I threw that in as an afterthought, because it didn't really make sense for energy weapons to rely on STR. I forgot to consider that DEX was already over-used by the class.

There's nothing wrong with a Half-Class like this getting their Fighting Styles at level 2 as well as Spellcasting, so we'll probably switch Safety Girl back over to fast movement. Alternatively, the bonuses from Transformed Fury could be dropped to +1 AC/+1 damage, and not scale.

you could pretty easily multiclass 2 levels into warlock and have e-blast twice a turn for free with double mod on 2 bolts (total level=8, dpr = 4d10+16 after taking +cha asi; same as L17 warlock). that being said, you really should clarify "add damage to magical girl cantrip" even after taking out double cantrips. additionally, casters don't necessarily need to match other classes in repeatable dpr, since they have burst damage from spells to cover that. warlock is kind of a unique case since they're much more limited on spells per battle, maxing out at 4 slots and 4 mystic arcana (most of the latter has little damage, and you only ever have one option available). This class has an extra attack feature -and- an equivalent to pal's improved smite on one of the charms, making melee the easy choice. so in order to kick up the casting subclass you need to cordon off some spells onto "path specific" lists, ie all of the smites need to be on the melee version, most of the ranged spells should go to the magic one. maybe also make extra attack subclass specific, since other half casters need to take a feat or multi to get cantrips.

to fix (5) you could specify finesse only on non-heavy weaps.

remember also that until you fix the altered ability, it's perfectly easy for someone to get the AA in dex and/or cha and put all of their ASI's into con and wis (latter for saves mostly) and have a character that's x/22/20/x/20/22 in combat, and otherwise have x/8/20/x/20/8 and x doesn't even need to be very low, you could get away with +3 between them.

Foxhound438
2015-11-30, 06:47 PM
another idea that could fix a lot of things is limit altered ability so you can only take it once, basically forcing you to chose good spell save dc or good melee damage

Freelance GM
2015-12-01, 05:53 PM
that being said, you really should clarify "add damage to magical girl cantrip" even after taking out double cantrips. additionally, casters don't necessarily need to match other classes in repeatable dpr, since they have burst damage from spells to cover that. warlock is kind of a unique case since they're much more limited on spells per battle, maxing out at 4 slots and 4 mystic arcana (most of the latter has little damage, and you only ever have one option available).

I like the "Magical Girl cantrips only" limitation. The main problem with balancing the Understanding Girl, I think, is that we're making a half-caster out of the most bizarre full caster in 5E. Warlock already sort of feels like a Half-Caster when you're playing it, especially if you're Blade Pact.

This class has an extra attack feature -and- an equivalent to pal's improved smite on one of the charms, making melee the easy choice. so in order to kick up the casting subclass you need to cordon off some spells onto "path specific" lists, ie all of the smites need to be on the melee version, most of the ranged spells should go to the magic one. maybe also make extra attack subclass specific, since other half casters need to take a feat or multi to get cantrips.

Making extra attack subclass-specific would return the MG to the weird limbo it originally was, where it's neither a full caster or a half caster. Also, especially with the new Friendship Girl, it would probably drift too close to the Bard class.

Suppose the UG got a customizable "totally not a cantrip" spell attack as a class feature? That way we could cut cantrips entirely, cementing it in half-caster territory, as well as creating a unique mechanic for the UG to use. We could fine-tune it to the damage output the UG needs, without creating multiclass problems.

Maybe you could even spend Spell slots to turn it into an AOE attack at higher levels.

Foxhound438
2015-12-03, 12:13 AM
Suppose the UG got a customizable "totally not a cantrip" spell attack as a class feature? That way we could cut cantrips entirely, cementing it in half-caster territory, as well as creating a unique mechanic for the UG to use. We could fine-tune it to the damage output the UG needs, without creating multiclass problems.

aaaaaaaah

"you gain a ranged spell attack that you can use with the attack action. you add proficiency and charisma mod to the attack roll, and it has a range of (x) feet and deals a d8 + charisma of (type) damage"

just like sun monk.

Freelance GM
2015-12-03, 09:29 AM
aaaaaaaah

"you gain a ranged spell attack that you can use with the attack action. you add proficiency and charisma mod to the attack roll, and it has a range of (x) feet and deals a d8 + charisma of (type) damage"

just like sun monk.

Is that a "this is an exciting solution" aaaaaaaaaah, or a "not so fast, this has already been done" aaaaaaaah?

I wouldn't want it to be just like the sun monk, but I haven't picked up a copy of SCAG yet, so I don't know what to avoid.

Pyon
2015-12-03, 10:18 AM
What if you statted it like a magic missile? I don't think there is anything out there that is basically a low damage but an auto-hit at will spell.

Foxhound438
2015-12-03, 11:54 PM
Is that a "this is an exciting solution" aaaaaaaaaah, or a "not so fast, this has already been done" aaaaaaaah?

I wouldn't want it to be just like the sun monk, but I haven't picked up a copy of SCAG yet, so I don't know what to avoid.

a good aaaah, it's a viable solution to the problem of wanting the casting subclass to catch up with the melee oriented one. it doesn't really matter that it's a lot like sun monk, because having one like feature doesn't make it a monk clone. the class has a lot of its own stuff, so one similar aspect to that of a specific subclass of monk wouldn't kill it.

Foxhound438
2015-12-04, 12:01 AM
What if you statted it like a magic missile? I don't think there is anything out there that is basically a low damage but an auto-hit at will spell.

as a single target attack maybe, but there are cantrips that deal d6's (same average as d4+1) that give the target a saving throw. in order to balance it against those you might want it to be just a d4, no +1. in that case it'd be a cool weaker can't miss eldritch blast. seems okay, use with attack action, maybe as one of the higher level features each missile would do 2d4 instead of 1, so about equal to a wizard with mm as a spell mastery choice. still wouldn't be a ton of damage, but when you find yourself fighting a high AC guy it'd be pretty good.

Freelance GM
2015-12-13, 12:59 PM
Alright, here's my first draft of the new Understanding Girl.

The Magical Girl's promise is to solve a mystery that eluded the one the promise was made to. Your transformation is a beacon of light against the darkness of ignorance.
Radiant Blast. When you take the Attack action, you may substitute one or more of your attacks with a blast of brilliant energy. This blast has a 60ft range, and requires a ranged Spell attack to hit. On a successful hit, a blast deals 1d8 radiant damage, plus your Charisma modifier. While you are transformed, the damage increases to 1d10 radiant damage, plus your charisma modifier.
Comprehension You gain proficiency with 2 languages, 2 tools, or 1 language and 1 tool of your choice.
Radiant Salvo. At sixth level, if you use the Attack action to make two Radiant Blast attacks, you may make a third Radiant Blast attack as a bonus action.
Magical Understanding. By 10th level, your Promise has given you a level of clarity that other people do not possess. You gain proficiency in Wisdom Saving Throws. While you are transformed, you have advantage on all saving throws against spells.
Intense Radiance. At 14th level, any Radiant damage you deal ignores resistance to radiant damage.

I'm not satisfied with the capstone, and I don't know if the level 10 ability still fits. But hey, radiant blasts.

I thought about 1d6/1d8 radiant damage, so that it's almost equivalent to a longbow-wielding MG (CHA instead of DEX), but I'm also adding in Fighting Styles across the board, so longbow-wielding MGs will most likely have the Archery fighting style providing an incentive to use it over the Radiant Blasts. In that case, it's a choice between slightly more damage (1d10+CHA versus 1d8+DEX) or a +2 bonus to hit. Seems fair enough, until Radiant Salvo goes in and monkey-wrenches that.

I'm still considering the auto-hit version you all proposed, but I wanted to see how you liked this first.

JoelTheDM
2015-12-24, 06:13 PM
Hello everyone!

About 2 months ago, I stumbled upon this threat and thought this would be a great focus for an anime-based D&D game. So, I made a campaign and recorded it! The setting is the standard Forgotten Realms, but the themes and the events are very "anime". I plan to update this post when they progress and new audio available. I started them at level 1, and they just hit level 3. Here are the current observations about the Magical Girl while we played the game:

Level 1 feels under-powered wither or not she was Transformed.
IT was suggested that the Empowered Awoken Familiar 1/day should be inherent to the class.
We edited the Secret Identity feature: "Unless the Magical Girl transforms directly in front of someone, observers can't connect the magical girl with her transformed self except with an Intelligence Check (DC 25)
More opportunities to have Magical Charms would be more enjoyable. Maybe have a feature where the Magical girl can take two new Charms instead of the two ability score increases at 4, 8, etc.

For everyone's reference and enjoyment, here are the audio files of what I recorded. These aren't edited, so be mindful that there can be a bit of random asides and inside jokes/information.
CORRECTION: I would do that, but the forum doesn't let me post links right now. Boo. I will updated when I can.

Freelance GM
2015-12-28, 10:29 AM
Merry (belated) Christmas, everyone! Here's Version IV.
I've decided to post the different iterations so that I have a record of how the class changes over the course of the PEACHing.

CHANGES:

Transformation changes. You only ever get 2 Transformations per short rest. You do gain a second spell slot at 11th level. This way, the Half Caster does not get more than 4 5th-level Spell Slots, matching the Warlock. What it lacks in Mystic Arcanum, though, it makes up for in face-beating power.
Spell Progression Modification. Spells Known were modified to match the Ranger's.
No more cantrips. Silly FreelanceGM, half-casters don't get cantrips!
Safety Girl got nerfed back to the old charging version. Also, I increased the minimum distance for the charge thing to 20 feet. This way, a Safety Girl with the Mobile Feat can't move 10 feet, attack with advantage, retreat 10 feet, and repeat. Instead, they can only do it once.
New Understanding Girl rains radiant death. The trope inspiring this rewrite was "beam spam."
Many charms were changed, or removed. Some of the more flavorful ones, in particular. Blink Step got cut because, well, Blink is on the MG spell list. Heirloom Independence got cut because I couldn't make it good enough (IMO) to keep up with the others. The damaging transformations scale better, Finishing Move got a nerf, and the Awoken Familiar can speak and casts Augury more often.
Summoned Armor charm was added, to support the SUDDEN FRIENDSHIP/DEATH MACHINE play style. Radiant weapons and infringing on the Eldritch Knight's gig means that there is no such charm for weapons. If you want a magic sword, you actually have to carry it around.
Fighting Styles were added. As a half-caster, it only gets 4 out of 6. Duelist was cut because it seemed the least in tune with MG flavor. Protection was cut because given the choice between it and Defense, Defense had more support for optimizing Friendship/Understanding Girls.
Retribution Girl was slightly modified, now that they can take GWF.

THE MAGICAL GIRL

Keeping a Promise
There are two sources of a Magical Girl's power: a magical promise, and a heirloom given to the character. The Magical Girl makes a promise, and is given the heirloom. The heirloom allows the magical girl to transform. Transformation gives the Magical Girl the power to complete her promise. It is a cyclical relationship that constantly reminds the Magical Girl what she is fighting for.
Naturally, the new form provided by the transformation tends to embody the ideals of the promise. The new form may look and act more like the heirloom’s original owner than the Magical Girl using it.

Creating a Magical Girl

Quick Build

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Class Features
Spells Known
Spell Slot Level

+2
Magical Promise, Transformation (2/rest)

+2
Charm Casting, Fighting Style

+2
Magical Charms

+2
Ability Score Increase

+3
Extra Attack

+3
Promise Feature

+3
Power of Friendship

+3
Ability Score Increase

+4
Magical Charm

+4
Promise Feature

+4
Transformation (+1 Spell Slot)

+4
Ability Score Increase

+5
Magical Charm

+5
Promise Feature

+5
Strength of Spirit

+5
Ability Score Increase

+6
Magical Charm

+6

+6
Ability Score Increase

+6
Promise Fulfilled

Hit Points

Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor

Starting Equipment:

Magical Promise

Promise of Friendship
The Magical Girl dedicates herself to her allies, their ambitions, and their goals. Your transformation is an idol of sorts, a beautiful and inspiring leader.
Irresistible. At first level, you add 1/2 your proficiency bonus to Charisma checks you are not proficient in. While you are transformed, you have advantage on Charisma (Performance) and Charisma (Persuasion) checks.
Beacon of Inspiration. Starting at first level, your transformation is a beacon of inspiration to your allies. While you are transformed, you may use your reaction to add 1d4 to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw made by a friendly creature within 30 feet of you who can see you.
Inspiring Strike. At sixth level, your fighting style shifts to aiding your allies more than fighting alone. When you take the attack action, you may forfeit your second attack in order to give an ally within 5 feet of your target advantage on their next attack roll against that creature.
Improved Inspiration. Beginning at 10th level, you may use your Beacon of Inspiration ability even if you are not transformed. If you are transformed, friendly creatures add 1d8 to their roll, instead of 1d4.
Passive Inspiration At 14th level, your presence becomes an intoxicating aura of confidence. While you are transformed, friendly creatures within 30 feet of you may roll 1d4 and add the result to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw they make before the beginning of your next turn.

Promise of Safety
Weapon Training. At first level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons, medium armor, and shields.
Skilled Charger. At sixth level, you become especially adept at rushing your foes. If you move at least 20 feet in a straight line before making a melee weapon attack, you have advantage on your next attack roll.
Purging Transformation At 14th level, your transformation reinvigorates your body. You can transform as long as you are conscious, even if you are not capable of taking actions. If you are incapacitated, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, restrained, or stunned, transforming immediately ends any number of those conditions currently affecting you.

Promise of Understanding
The Magical Girl's promise is to solve a mystery that eluded the one the promise was made to. Your transformation is a beacon of light against the darkness of ignorance.
Radiant Blast. When you take the Attack action, you may substitute one or more of your attacks with a blast of brilliant energy. This blast has a 60ft range, and requires a ranged Spell attack to hit. On a successful hit, a blast deals 1d6 radiant damage, plus your Charisma modifier. While you are transformed, the damage increases to 1d8 radiant damage, plus your charisma modifier.
Comprehension You gain proficiency with 2 languages, 2 tools, or 1 language and 1 tool of your choice.
Radiant Salvo. At sixth level, if you use the Attack action to make two Radiant Blast attacks, you may make a third Radiant Blast attack as a bonus action.
Intense Radiance. At 14th level, any Radiant damage you deal ignores resistance to radiant damage.

Transformation
As a bonus action, you can undergo a magical transformation into your alternate form. The transformation generally has a cosmetic change. This could be something minor, such as a difference in hair color, or it could be a major change, such as a new outfit suddenly appearing over your clothing. Transforming requires the Magical Girl's heirloom. In order to transform, you must be able to take actions, and your Heirloom must be on your person. You have two uses of your Transformation at first level, which return after a short or long rest.
Armor Class. While you are transformed and not wearing armor, your armor class is equal to 10 + your Dexterity Modifier + your Charisma modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.
Radiant Weapons.When you transform, you may choose to summon one or more weapons from the list below:

Up to two thrown weapons which, if thrown, dissipate and reappear in your hands at the end of your turn.
Two light weapons.
Up to two one-handed weapons, or one-handed weapon and a shield.
A two-handed weapon.

These weapons are made of radiant energy, and shed bright light in a 5-foot radius. Since these weapons are made of light, they deal radiant damage, instead of their normal damage type. These radiant weapons cannot be wielded by anyone other than you, and dissipate as soon as they leave your hand. While you are wielding your radiant weapons, you may transform your current weapon (or weapons) into a different option on the list above, or dispel your radiant weapons completely, as a bonus action. If you do not have your radiant weapons in hand, you may use your action to conjure them.

Charm Casting
Each time you Transform, you gain one Spell Slot. The level of the Spell slot is shown on the Spell Level column on the table above. You can only use this spell slot while you are transformed; if you revert back to your normal form, the spell slot is wasted. At 11th level, you gain a second spell slot whenever you Transform.

Focus. When you cast a spell that requires a material component, you must use your heirloom as a spellcasting focus.

Fighting Style
At second level, the Magical Girl may also choose a fighting style from the list below:

Archery. You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.

Defense. While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Great Weapon Fighting. When you roll a 1 or 2 on the damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon you are wielding with two hands, you can re-roll the die and must use the new result even if it is a 1 or 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property to gain this benefit.

[B]Two-Weapon Fighting. When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

Magical Charms
At third level, a Magical Girl's powers adjust themselves to be more in tune with their wielder's personality. At third level, you may choose two Magical Charms from the list below. You get one additional charm at 9th, 13th, and 17th levels. You may only take a Charm once, unless the charm says otherwise.

[B]Awoken Familiar
You can cast Find Familiar once per day, without a material component. Your familiar can speak any languages you know, and has an Intelligence and Wisdom score of 11+ your Charisma modifier. Your familiar can cast Augury once per short or long rest. When you reach 9th level, it can cast Divination once per long rest.

Altered Ability
When you choose this charm, pick an ability score. That ability score has a +2 bonus while you are transformed, but cannot be increased above 20. At 17th level, this Charm can increase an ability score above 20, to a maximum of 22.

Blinding Transformation
Your transformation is especially bright. Creatures within 15 feet of you that can see you must make a Constitution saving throw against your Spell Save DC. On a failure, that creature is blinded for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. At the end of their turn, affected creatures may make a new saving throw, ending the blindness on a successful save.

Durable Form

Elemental Favor
Choose acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. You are resistant to that kind of damage, even while you are not Transformed. At 13th level, you become immune instead. Additionally, while you are transformed, your radiant weapons may deal that kind of damage instead of radiant damage. If you have the Promise of Understanding, your Radiant Blasts can also deal the chosen type of damage instead of radiant damage. You may take this Charm multiple times, but you must choose a different damage type each time.

Elemental Transformation
When you pick this Charm, choose acid, cold, fire, or lightning. Creatures within 10 feet of you must make a Dexterity saving throw against your Spell Save DC. On a failure They take 4d6 damage of the chosen type, or half as much on a successful save. The damage increases to 6d6 at 9th level, 7d6 at 13th level, and 8d6 at 17th level.

Explosive Transformation
When you transform, there is a thunderous explosion. Creatures within 10 feet must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failure, they take 2d6 Thunder damage and are pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, they take half damage and are not pushed. The damage increases to 4d6 at 9th level, 5d6 at 13th level, and 6d6 at 17th level.

Extra Magic

Fearsome Transformation

Finishing Move!
Prerequisite: 13th level
When you hit a creature with a weapon or spell attack, you may declare a Finishing Move before you roll damage. Your target must immediately make a Constitution saving throw. If the enemy has more than 1/4 its hit points remaining, it automatically passes this saving throw. On a successful result, the creature takes normal damage from the attack. On a failed saving throw, the Finishing Move becomes a critical hit. If the amount of damage dealt is enough to kill the creature, you regain one use of this ability. Otherwise, you may not use this ability again until you complete a long rest.

Light Step
You can cast Feather Fall at-will without expending a spell slot. While you are transformed, your jump distance is tripled. At 13th level, you gain a fly speed equal to your walking speed while you are transformed.

Lingering Magic

Mass Appeal
Prerequisite: Promise of Friendship, 9th level
You may cast Dominate Person or Geas without expending a spell slot. Once you do, you may not cast either spell again until you complete a long rest. If you are at least 13th level, you may cast Mass Suggestion while you are transformed. Once you do, you may not do so again until you complete a long rest.

Enhanced Weapons
Choose one or two weapons you possess, or your radiant weapons. While you are wielding those weapons, they count as Magical. At 13th level, the weapons become oversized while you are transformed, dealing 1d8 additional damage.

Misty Transformation
Swirling fog or thick smoke exudes from you out to a 10-foot radius when you transform. This fog provides 3/4 cover, and lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier, or until it is dispersed by a strong wind.

Sacrifice
Prerequisite: 9th level.
Add Revivify to your list of spells known. You can cast Revivify without expending a spell slot, and without a material component, by ending your transformation. If you cast Revivify this way, you must also expend all of your hit dice, roll them, and take that much necrotic damage. Additionally, you may not transform again until you take a long rest.

Summoned Armor
You may create a suit of radiant armor by attuning to a suit of armor you possess for 1 hour. In order to attune to the armor, you must be proficient in its use. If the suit of armor is on the same plane of existence, you may summon it as part of your transformation. The armor immediately teleports onto your body.

Extra Attack

Power of Friendship

Strength of Spirit

Promise Fulfilled

1st Level
Bless
Charm Person
Compelled Duel
Cure Wounds
Divine Favor
Expeditious Retreat
Fog Cloud
Guiding Bolt
Healing Word
Hex
Magic Missile
Shield
Sleep
Searing Smite
Thunderous Smite
Wrathful Smite

2nd Level
Darkvision
Gust of Wind
Magic Weapon
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Scorching Ray
Shatter
Suggestion
Warding Bond

3rd Level
Blinding Smite
Blink
Counterspell
Daylight
Dispel Magic
Elemental Weapon
Fear
Fireball
Lightning Bolt
Revivify
Sending

4th Level
Banishment
Death Ward
Dimension Door
Freedom of Movement
Staggering Smite
Wall of Fire

5th Level
Banishing Smite
Cone of Cold
Destructive Smite
Flame Strike
Raise Dead
Wall of Force

Promise of Retribution
Sometimes, the Magical Girl’s promise is not a positive one. This corrupted promise results in a fearsome alternate form. The Magical Girl becomes vicious and violent, constantly teetering on the edge of becoming something monstrous.
Negative Energy Your radiant weapons are vicious and cruel. They deal necrotic damage instead of radiant damage.
Retribution As a reaction to taking damage, you may target the creature that dealt damage to you with the fury of your Promise. Until that creature is dead, or reduced to 0 hit points, you have advantage on all attack rolls against that creature. You may use this ability a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier. You regain all uses of this ability when you take a long rest.
Ferocity At sixth level, you ferociously assault your chosen foes. Once per turn, you may add your Charisma modifier to the damage roll of an attack you make.
Bathe in Blood By 10th level, your need for retribution has descended into outright bloodlust. Whenever you kill an enemy targeted by your Retribution ability, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier plus your Magical Girl level.
Unstoppable! At 14th level, your perverted sense of justice has all but consumed you. While you are transformed, you stubbornly refuse to die. If you would be reduced to 0 hit points, or killed outright, you may attempt a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to 5 + the damage taken. On a success, you drop to 1 hit point instead.

Also, point for discussion. Paladins and Rangers have D10 Hit Dice. The Magical Girl is, like them, a half-caster. Does it need a D10 Hit die, too?

dsollen
2015-12-29, 12:26 PM
It's not unheard of for magical girls to feel much stronger even in their non-magical look. I think it would be okay to give a little bonus protection to non-transformed magical girls. I also notice that magical girls don't get to fly! I know at will flight is pretty powerful and doesn't fit into the warlock kit, but darn it magical girls should get some flight power! Like 1/3 of all magical girls fly. Someone figure out some way to fit it in darn it :smallfurious::smalltongue:

I would like to see another promise.

Promise of Caring.
The magical girl promises to care for those around her, be they friend or stranger, and find ways to end their suffering.

Basically they healer archtype. You don't see healer magical girls much only because visual mediums have a much harder time 'showing' healing, and to show healers you must show people taking damage which can seem too 'dark' to show on screen, where you would have to see blood and scars. However, thematically a healer is fits perfectly with the magical girl lore, and in a medium where healers make sense and are needed it makes complete sense to have a magical girl be one.

I would suggest level one of caring give channel life, like pathfinder, or 5e life, clerics gain, only with limited uses that refresh on transformation. I could see an ability to allow them to treat wounds during a short rest potentially fitting as well. Adding cure spells to their spell list seems odd somehow, at most I would only add them to the slots that don't refresh on transform. Maybe instead of cure spells adding something more like paladin lay on hands, that somehow feels more magical-girl.

maybe at upper level anyone who is healed by the magical girl gains some bonus until her next turn, like advantage on the next attack role made against them, to flesh out her skill set.

only problem would be getting the healing right. She can't be pure healer, because a healer who is powered by short rests is very hard to balance (and ultimately leads to DM refusing short rests!). Thus she needs part of her healing (like the lay on hands part) tied to long rests and the part that is tied to short rests has to be limited. To prevent the healing from being too broken but keep with the feel she would have to be only a partial healer, which begs the question as to what to do with the rest of her kit. I imagine adding some damage mitigation abilities that aren't technically healing.

I could see potentially adding some umm 'tankish' abilities. Magical girls don't feel right as real tanks, they aren't designed to soak up damage. However, the idea of a magical girl throwing herself into harms way to try to defend someone they care about definately fits, it's just the soaking up damage by taking the hit that feels odd to their low defense. Thus I could see some limited uses of an ability to dive in front of an attack to try to magically block it, mitigating part of the damage while absorbing the rest, as a reaction to defend someone else 'in need'.

Hmm, the 'caring' sort of magical girls tend to try to talk the monster to death, so maybe run with that. An ability they can use so often per short rest powered by charisma to try to talk a monster down from attacking, maybe it could work as a charm or sleep spell or something...not sure what 'charm' affect feels thematically right here while having the right power level, but something along those lines seems like it would be pretty fitting with the fluff and could be a good utility ability for higher levels, if someone could suggest the right ability?

Offensive spell slots seem odd for a caring magical girl to use somehow, fluff wise their the ones that would most want to 'save' their enemies not hurt them. Trying to remove the warlock spell slots entirely would just break the whole chassis of the class, but perhaps give some more 'caring' ability that they can choose to power with their excess spell slots instead would work well; so long as that ability was *not* healing, as stated heals tied to short rests are difficult to handle and probably too much hassle to balance here. I already suggested the "dive in front of a spell to save a friend" ability, perhaps they can use spell charges to mitigate damage they sustain after diving in front of their friend by creating a magical shield powered by the spell slots? Seems thematically right, but it may be almost as bad as tying heals to short rests if we tie damage mitigation to them? Perhaps use the "talk the monster to death" ability, where I couldn't decide the appropriate affect it should have, and allow use of it to 'cast' any charm spell by spending the appropriate spell slot, but only if the monster can understand you and fluff it as not being magically compelled but simply talked into helping?

Maybe give her some thematic ability to avoid killing her enemies, or even 'save' them from their mistakes and help them lead a better life it would really fit with the fluff, in fact something like that would be nice for all magical girls not just 'caring' ones. It doesn't have to be a powerful ability, or even all that useful in combat at all, just some fluffy alternative for 'defeating' opponents that removes them as a threat without killing them once their HP is taken to zero...if anyone can suggest something easily written into the rules to support such a threat..

Freelance GM
2015-12-29, 06:17 PM
Flight? Gotcha covered. Here's one of the Charms the Magical Girl can choose from.

Light Step
You can cast Feather Fall at-will without expending a spell slot. While you are transformed, your jump distance is tripled. At 13th level, you gain a fly speed equal to your walking speed while you are transformed.

As for another archetype, I'm stopping at the 3 standard + 1 villainous archetypes, pretty much to keep it in line with the PhB classes. Sure, it's a Magical Girl homebrew, but I am more interested than making a class that seamlessly blends with the existing PhB content than portraying every possible aspect of its inspiration. This portrayal of the Magical Girl is meant to be more of the relentless, determined, "throws herself in harm's way" type.

However, if you wanted to create your desired defensive healer archetype with my homebrew, it is actually an achievable goal.

The closest fit to the "assisting allies" mechanic would be the existing Promise of Friendship, which can hand out bonuses on allies' attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.

As for healing, spells such as Cure Wounds, Healing World, Warding Bond, Revivify, and Raise Dead all appear on the MG's current spell list. Warding Bond actually is the whole "taking damage for an ally" spell. By taking those spells, as well as spells like Shield, Sleep, and Wall of Force, you could continue to fine-tune your character to your desired flavor of healing, defending allies, and pacifism.

Finally, for such a character, the Sacrifice charm is a perfect fit. Like I said at the beginning of this post, Light Step gives you access to the desired powers of flight, and the temporary HP from Durable Form could represent your character's tenacity in defending their allies, in spite of her own injuries. If you wanted to go a little darker, Fearsome Transformation would let your character frighten enemies, so that they might flee before you or your allies have the chance to hurt them. Otherwise, Blinding Transformation could buy you enough time to quickly (and non-violently) subdue your enemies with non-lethal attacks or spells.

So yeah, that character concept is fully functional within the bounds of the existing class, so long as you are willing to modify the specific flavor of some of the class's abilities.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-12-31, 12:00 AM
Now we're getting there! Feedback time:

I still think that Enhanced Weapons provides too much of a damage boost to TWF after 13th level, but I don't know how to fix that besides nerfing it for everyone without fundamentally changing the flavor of the mechanic.
At least now Dex is no longer the hands down best option for a melee mahou shoujo.
I think that Radiant Blast could be changed to be considered a ranged weapon attack that still uses Cha, if for no other reason than to let Archery affect it and give Understanding some extra flexibility for their Fighting Style.
Maybe give them a choice between melee and range as a charm or at 1st? I necessarily don't think either is the best choice, but at the same time some extra flexibility is almost never a bad thing.
Considering that HP is a pretty minor balancing point, and considering the overall lowering of power, I don't see how giving them a smidge more HP is a bad idea.

Foxhound438
2015-12-31, 04:50 PM
the new radiant damage change is neat, but i'm not sure that capstone is even a boon... very few things resist radiant damage, you know. Not sure how to adjust it, you don't want to become too sun monk, so kamehameha is probably not the right choice. Maybe "whenever a friendly creature is hit by an attack made by a creature in range, you can use your reaction to attack it once with your laser", or something to that effect.

Freelance GM
2016-01-01, 08:57 AM
Now we're getting there! Feedback time:

I still think that Enhanced Weapons provides too much of a damage boost to TWF after 13th level, but I don't know how to fix that besides nerfing it for everyone without fundamentally changing the flavor of the mechanic.
At least now Dex is no longer the hands down best option for a melee mahou shoujo.
I think that Radiant Blast could be changed to be considered a ranged weapon attack that still uses Cha, if for no other reason than to let Archery affect it and give Understanding some extra flexibility for their Fighting Style.
Maybe give them a choice between melee and range as a charm or at 1st? I necessarily don't think either is the best choice, but at the same time some extra flexibility is almost never a bad thing.
Considering that HP is a pretty minor balancing point, and considering the overall lowering of power, I don't see how giving them a smidge more HP is a bad idea.

Out of curiosity, what is the "acceptable level" for imbalance? Like, how large of a gap in offensive capability is acceptable between the most optimal build and a build made more for flavor?
If Enhanced Weapons was "1d4 additional damage, or 1d8 if the weapon is two-handed," would that help?

I opted to make it a spell attack, because if it is a ranged weapon attack then it could benefit from Enhanced Weapons, and since the Radiant Blasts get 3 attacks instead of 2 around 6th level, that would put it pretty far ahead from a damage-dealing perspective. Additionally, since Understanding Girl attacks are 1d8 + CHA, there wouldn't be much of a reason for anyone to use a longbow when an Understanding Girl can deal just as much damage with radiant blasts, and get an extra attack at 6th level. If you take the Sharpshooter feat, you could legally use it with radiant blasts as well. By excluding them from the Archery fighting style, my intent was to not completely overshadow a bow-wielding MG.

Now, on that note, a longbow-wielding Friendship Girl seems pretty good-looking, as a longbow would be a long-distance delivery method for Inspiring Strikes. Combined with the Sharpshooter feat, you could still do a useful chunk of damage at the same time.

the new radiant damage change is neat, but i'm not sure that capstone is even a boon... very few things resist radiant damage, you know. Not sure how to adjust it, you don't want to become too sun monk, so kamehameha is probably not the right choice. Maybe "whenever a friendly creature is hit by an attack made by a creature in range, you can use your reaction to attack it once with your laser", or something to that effect.

Not going to lie, I think so too, but I was having a hard time thinking of a good capstone. The other 3 subclasses grant "while you are transformed" abilities. Could it just be a straight-up damage increase for the radiant blasts? Like, to 2d6 or something?

Maybe you can expend one of your spell slots to unleash a barrage, making 2 + spell slot's level Radiant Blasts in one turn? Would be 6 blasts at 14th level, which could target several different creatures. (If CHA is 20, then 57, or 6d8+30, damage, which seems a little on the high end, but not outrageous, since a Wall of Fire can deal 5d8 multiple times over several turns.)

EDIT: Forgetting my own rules. Only Safety Girls can take Enhanced Weapons. Nevermind about the radiant blasts, then.

sephorth
2016-08-16, 02:41 PM
Needs more cowbell. Jk. Looks like it would be fun to play

Sarah_Blaze00
2018-05-31, 07:55 AM
So I've been looking for something like this and it's definitely very inspiring my only question is this. Is the last post you made for this class the most up to date and would you consider making more or have aby problems with people modifying them?

I like idea of a healer style for instance.

Additional I would suggest some spells that are limited to the type of promise ie Devine Domain, pact etc.

More additional, I feel the lack of cantrips os a handy cap especially considering the amount of spell slots each level has. I figure at least two cantrips or an extra one or two spell slots should be added to this. Also what are your thoughts on the extra spells added in the more recent books.