PDA

View Full Version : Web app for computing DPR, rolling Fireball damage, etc.

MaxWilson
2015-09-22, 11:30 PM
I built a little tool which might be useful to some of you. It lets you ask for various dice rolls, and it can compute averages. Could be used by a player doing DPR calculations, or a DM trying to figure out how hard an encounter will be for a given party.

Link: http://maxwilson.github.io/RollWeb/Roll/
(There's also a console app version which I use myself.)

Some usage examples:
3d8+2 means "roll 3d8+2 and give me the result"
2.3d8+2 means "roll 3d8+2 twice and give me the sum"
avg.3d8+2 means "what is the average value of 3d8+2?"
13?3d8+2 means "Roll d20, and if it's at least 13, roll 3d8+2 (doubling on crits as usual) and give me the result"
avg.13?3d8+2 means "Do the 13?3d8+2 computation but give me the average instead of any particular instance"
d20A means "d20 at advantage". Can also do d8A, or d20D for disadvantage, etc. Not case-sensitive.
13D? means roll 13 or better at disadvantage. (It's similar to but not the same as asking for d20D.)

The "Explain" button shows which rolls led to that result.

Concrete example: say I want an easy way to compute the average DPR of a 17th level Oath of Vengeance paladin with Hunter's Mark up against an AC 19 Balor. Paladin has advantage and +11 to hit with two attacks, so he hits on an 11 or better, or 16 with GWM. Is it better to use GWM power attack or not, and by how much? Power attack is "avg.2.16A?3d6+15+7d8" while regular attack is "avg.2.11A?3d6+5+7d8", and to nobody's surprise, non-power attack turns out to be better, 78 to 58.

I hope this tools makes some DMs' and players' lives a little bit easier!