PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help me kill a solar

Brian_Gishlover
2015-09-23, 01:04 AM
Hi,
I'm in a play-by-post forum. Long-story short, my opponent at the moment is an epic druid who has wild shaped into a solar (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Solar). I know he is a planar shepherd who has an item that reflects spells ( probably a ring of spell reflection which I also have). My character is a wizard gish with levels in monk and enlightened fist, specializing in touch and ray spells channeling as well as clobbering mine enemies.

So here is the thing: he says he is immune to damage though some racial ability, but my real concerns are that he keeps sending back all of my spells and any damage I do becomes non-lethal (though epic & evil regeneration). I'm shapeshift caster level is 24 so any monster with 24 HD or less is fair game. Also, keep in mind that spell turning does NOT work on AoO and touch spells. I thought about anti-magic shield, and though I would do decent damage, my str (without spells) is only 10 and he should win any grapple checks. I do have a huge spell selection including all from the glory domain.

How do I beat him? This does not need to be a one-shot; in fact, I would prefer to beat him down the old fashioned way (to death with powerful fists).

AlanBruce
2015-09-23, 01:59 AM
Hi,
I'm in a play-by-post forum. Long-story short, my opponent at the moment is an epic druid who has wild shaped into a solar. I know he is a planar shepherd who has an item that reflects spells ( probably a ring of spell reflection which I also have). My character is a wizard gish with levels in monk and enlightened fist, specializing in touch and ray spells channeling as well as clobbering mine enemies.

I assume you are facing the Planar Shepherd alone? If so, this won't be an easy fight. Chances are you have access to flight, reason why he went solar (that and the 10+ SLAs they have at their disposal.)

Being an ECL 24 PC and a caster, ask your DM to let you roll some check (probably Arcana or Spellcraft) to know why this guy is immune to lethal damage. Once that information is learned (your PC should have astronomical modifiers for both of these skills), you can use your monstrous repertoire of spells to deal with that factor and then go to town.

I'm shapeshift caster level is 24 so any monster with 24 HD or less is fair game.

There's a bunch of monsters in the ELH, but I doubt they have 24HD or less.

Alternatively, go Solar as well. They have 22HD. Or an Adult Gold Dragon (23 HD and Huge size) and begin the smack down.

If all else fails, drop an AMF on the guy and wade in, confident you can prolong the battle through attrition.

Brian_Gishlover
2015-09-26, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I tried the knowledge checks. The player replied with info on a Solar, and it's combo of DR 15 passed by epic & evil weapons as well as Regeneration 15. I'm guessing the player has around 250 HP so even with wraithstrike, it would be a long process to knock him out.

The idea of an AMF has occurred to me. The thing is that he's probably going to keep running away and casting summons (that's what I would do at least). With monk levels, I should be able to win 1-on-1 if he stood still, but with a host of summons to contend with I would probably fall pretty quickly.

Just for the record, there are a few other things that make me raise an eyebrow. One is that he says he has SR 37, but solars only have 32. Additionally, he says his spell turning "is not like the spell" though in the sense it cannot reflect only partial levels.

Right now, I can hit him with wraith strike and twice per round cast discentigrate while attacking. The SR and turning effects are probably going to stop most of the damage though.

FocusWolf413
2015-09-26, 01:18 PM
What spells do you have prepared?

Crake
2015-09-26, 04:21 PM
What spells do you have prepared?

Or to expand, do you have time to prepare? If you do, use embrace/shun the dark chaos to gain selective spell, cast shapechange on yourself and turn into a solar as well, then drop a selective AMF on yourself, choosing yourself to be unaffected by the AMF, then proceed to beat him with his own trick. None of his summons would be able to affect you in the AMF, their ranged attacks using conjured gear would disappear, and their ranged attacks using supernatural abilities (like an arrowhawk) would just not work in the AMF. Plus you'd have the same regeneration that he does, only you're actually still a solar, while he isnt.

Edit: For extra credit, get your incantatrix ice assassins (you have these on your private, selective forbiddanced, time sped demiplane, right?) to persist both buffs using cooperative metamagic

FocusWolf413
2015-09-26, 06:56 PM
Actually, can you just post a link to your character sheet? It's important to know all resources at your disposal.

Eldariel
2015-09-26, 07:22 PM
Okay, a lot of information needed.

Epic spells, do they exist and are they in effect? If they are, anti-magic is likely to be fruitless or at least significantly less effective as it doesn't affect epic magic as comprehensively.
Your prepared spells and stuff that allows immediately repreparing spells - err, just spells you have access to right now is crucial. The natural way to begin an engagement like this is Time Stop and an action loop into a heavy duty Disjunction chain (Disjunction is AOE).
Which sources are you working with? Chronotyryn [Fiend Folio] is probably the optimal form for your Shapechange right now, to double your turns. You can look for a more effective combat form if you can breach his magical defenses; switching is a free action and you probably have access to Time Stop anyways.
Do you have Archmage levels, Extraordinary Spell Aim or a familiar? Anti-Magic Field can indeed be used to suppress his Wildshape, Regeneration and such trivially so you might want to try something rudimentary like barred Forcecage + Anti-Magic Field omitting you with Mastery of Shaping if you have it, or Extraordinary Spell Aim if you don't; worst case scenario, you can always cast (Limited) Wish to replicate Psychic Reformation and rearrange your feats a bit to acquire it. It'll cost you some feats but overcoming this challenge would more than make up for that. You could also share it with your familiar and just have familiar approach instead and dismiss the one on yourself. Either would free you up to act buffed up which should allow you to pulverize him should he lack auxiliary layers of defenses (unlikely but costs little to test).
What Contingency-spells do you currently have available? What kinds of defenses do you have in general? What about, how much have you prodded his defenses? Do you know anything about something more robust than simple damage immunity and spell turning?
Do you have access to Chained Dispel Magic to try and disable all his magic items (making sure to target the items instead of him to avoid Spell Turning)? How good are you at dispelling in general?
Do you have an easy way to seal him away? Killing an epic level character is likely to accomplish little; I'd rather try and at least seal her soul to a Thinaun weapon, Imprison him, turn her to stone and Polymorph Any Object that into some jewel you can carry on your person, preferably in an extradimensional space or whatever. An epic level adversary, if ever defeated, is better kept away if you don't have means to annihilate them for good (Unnaming is a rather good one but requires a Truenamer, and can theoretically still be reversed).

Basically, everything depends on your and their resources not mentioned here.

g3taso
2015-09-27, 09:19 PM
Epic level handbook has a toxic hazard with strong AMF and mutation properties. You can collect some, or use a chaos flask / PAO to generate some. Profit!