PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Larloch's spells for 5e, plus a few of my own

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 04:25 AM
Apologies if this has already been done, but I thought I'd remake a couple more old spells for use in 5e. PEACHes are welcome!

Larloch is an ancient lich from the FR setting - these are some of his signature spells.

Devastate Undead
4th-level necromancy

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (one black onyx stone worth at least 50gp)
Duration: Instantaneous

Target an undead creature that you control (such as by the Dominate Monster or Create Undead spells) and that you can see within range. That creature is instantly destroyed, leaving no remains, while you regain hit points equal to that creature's remaining hit points at the time of its destruction.

Larloch's Improved Passwall
6th-level transmutation

Range: 30 feet
Components: S
Duration: 1 hour

This spell functions exactly like the standard Passwall spell, except that it can be used on any surface, including metals and exotic materials, and its depth is increased to 30 feet.

Larloch's Minor Drain
Necromancy cantrip

You drain life energy from a creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 1d4 necrotic damage. You then gain temporary hit points equal to half the amount of damage dealt. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
This spell’s damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).
And then these spells were inspired by one of my own characters...

Misty Strike
4th-level conjuration

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self

You teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see, which must be within 5 feet of another creature. You then make a single melee weapon attack against that creature. Do not roll to hit with this attack; it is an automatic critical hit.

Shield-Riposte
3rd-level abjuration

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the Magic Missile spell
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from Magic Missile. If the source of the triggering attack is within 5 feet of you when you cast this spell, you may make a single melee weapon attack against it as part of the reaction.

Throwing Daggers
1st-level conjuration

Components: V, S

You create three throwing daggers, which hover in midair before flying out towards one or more creatures of your choice that you can see within range. Make a ranged spell attack for each dagger. Each hit deals 1d6+1 piercing damage to its target. The daggers are non-magical and all strike simultaneously.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dagger for each slot level above 1st.

Transmute Weapon
1st-level transmutation

Range: Touch

You permanently reconfigure one non-magical simple or martial weapon that you are holding into a different type of non-magical simple or martial weapon. If a weapon has been damaged, such as by a rust monster or black pudding, it is instantly and completely repaired by this spell and any enchantments placed upon it, such as by the Magic Weapon spell, are instantly dispelled.

JNAProductions
2015-09-23, 05:28 AM
Larloch's Minor Drain, and a bag full of rats. Free infinite healing.

That needs some work.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 05:50 AM
Larloch's Minor Drain, and a bag full of rats. Free infinite healing.

That needs some work.

Can't we just ban bags full of rats? What kind of person carts around bags filled with live rats?

The easy fix is to make the 'recovery' into temporary hit points. Those don't stack, right?

JNAProductions
2015-09-23, 05:52 AM
Those do indeed not stack. That sounds like a perfect fix.

And agreed on banning bags of rats. Unless you have Proficiency in Pipe. :P

Prince Zahn
2015-09-23, 06:21 AM
In particular, I like throwing Daggers. It looks very fun to use.:smallsmile:

Can't we just ban bags full of rats? What kind of person carts around bags filled with live rats?

If I had any more room I'm my signature I would sig this. It's a great comeback.

Does a bard have any spells that would let him attract vermin with his music? I couldn't spot any at a glance.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-09-23, 06:35 AM
Misty strike seems kind of exploitable with smite, sneak attack, or any of the other `holy-christ-how-much-did-you-just-crit-for` effects.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-23, 06:41 AM
Misty strike seems kind of exploitable with smite, sneak attack, or any of the other `holy-christ-how-much-did-you-just-crit-for` effects.

Maybe. I was hoping that putting it at level 4 would put it out of reach of some ghastly assassin/paladin/wizard multiclass.

Oh, by the way, all of these spells are arcane, wizard/sorcerer type spells. They're not intended to be on the spell lists of paladins &co.