PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Menzoberranzan

Pinjata
2015-09-23, 07:02 AM
So my lvl 6 PCs decided to follow an evil dragonborn in search of a few thousands slaves, when he left for Menzoberranzan. Basically bad guy is looking for a place where he can find and buy several thousand slaves for his blue dragon master to sacrifice.

First of all: Can such an amount of sentient beings even be bought in mentioned city? What are good alternatives in Faerun since Thay got turned to blighted necroland?

Second: What should I face my PCs with in Menzoberranzan? I am reading up on the city, but ahve never been really familiar with it. Random encounters, tailored to Menzoberranzan would be welcome.

thanks

Asmodai
2015-09-23, 07:11 AM
Try Menzoberranzan, City of Intrigue. A recent sourcebook that's rules and timeline agnostic and actually studies the politics, geography, society and functioning of the Drow city. It's an amazing resource.

Menzoberranzan has around 20 000 Drow and 40 000 slaves living in and around it. One of the chief exports of the city are slaves, so I'm prett sure something could be arranged. Mind you I believe it might be more complicated if you want more then 3000-4000 slaves, depending on supply, ownership and impact on drow services.

Pinjata
2015-09-23, 07:18 AM
Try Menzoberranzan, City of Intrigue. A recent sourcebook that's rules and timeline agnostic and actually studies the politics, geography, society and functioning of the Drow city. It's an amazing resource.

Menzoberranzan has around 20 000 Drow and 40 000 slaves living in and around it. One of the chief exports of the city are slaves, so I'm prett sure something could be arranged. Mind you I believe it might be more complicated if you want more then 3000-4000 slaves, depending on supply, ownership and impact on drow services.
Neat. The perfect answer.

Flickerdart
2015-09-23, 10:20 AM
Are they going to sacrifice all the slaves at once, or gradually? While it would be very easy to buy a few at a time and sacrifice them at a temple inside the city, it would be very difficult to buy up all of them, transport them to above ground, and sacrifice them there. Your PCs would have massive logistics costs that likely outweigh the cost of the slaves themselves by orders of magnitude.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-23, 05:42 PM
More important than the total number of slaves is the number of new slaves per year. If these slaves get treated relatively well and on average survive 20 years of service you're looking at 2000 new slaves being born or brought in per year. If you go onto that market trying to buy 4000 slaves within a month you'll be raising prices a lot. If you're paying enough you might still be able to get them, but you're basically using up the supply of the next two years, and prices won't go back to normal for longer than that.

If the life expectancy of a slave in this city is closer to two years that's 20000 coming in per year. If you buy up a few thousand of those you'll be noticed, but the market can regulate itself well enough that you'll have no significant problems (outside of the usual problems with buying thousands of people from slavers and transporting them).

Pinjata
2015-09-24, 05:27 AM
Neat questions.

Here are the broad strokes of a campaign:

- Dracolich had found a magic pool in Faerun (in Cormanthor) and had his cronies set up operation to immerse him in the pool in order to MAKE HIM MORE POWERFUL WAAGH!

- Operation requires about 3.500 slaves to be sacrificed on site. Dracolich however does not want to loot regional resources of sentient creatures (animals will not do), so he had sent dragonborn to get him 3.5k slaves. He intends to have a powerful caster setup teleportation rings - one near the magic pool, other in Menzoberranzan and have slaves transfered this way

- PCs are sent after Dracoliches' minions to figure out where are the slaves being shipped to

Where is Menzoberranzan in Faerun anyway? On the map.

Asmodai
2015-09-24, 07:45 AM
I'll let you guess two times.
Hint, It's where most things in Faerun are ;)

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/underdark/pix/undermap.jpg

(Right Click and View Image to see it in full resolution)

Pinjata
2015-09-25, 03:33 AM
I read House of Dark Assumptions :D

This is basically this map (http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/nwn/images/3/30/Faerunmap.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20060103050131)? Only underground?

thanks very much for help :)

Asmodai
2015-09-25, 04:43 AM
I read House of Dark Assumptions :D

This is basically this map (http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/nwn/images/3/30/Faerunmap.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20060103050131)? Only underground?

thanks very much for help :)

Yes. You can see the outline of Faerun, and the islands to the West. I'm glad I could be of assistance :)

There is a newer more detailed map in the new supplement Out of the Abyss, and I think the author has made it available online, but he charges for it.