PDA

View Full Version : [Class] Let me see your palm...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-16, 10:23 AM
This is my go at a psionic NPC class.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Mental

http://my.photosleeve.com/TheVorpalTribble-albums/album03/ahj.jpg

Many possess great strength of mind yet do not know the proper paths to enlightenment and knowledge of self. Others are simply wary of what they could become or not truly devoted. Instead they but touch upon their potential and limit themselves to humbler understandings.
They often take more socially acceptable roles in society, becoming known as fakirs, yogis, fortune tellers, counselors, and wiseman.
Hit Die: d4

Class Skills
The mental's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), and Sense Motive (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

-=-=-=-=-=-

NPC BAB Fort Ref Will PP/Day Powers Maximum Power
Level Known Level Known
1st +0 +0 +0 +2 0* 1 1st
2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 1 2 1st
3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 3 3 1st
4th +2 +1 +1 +4 5 4 2nd
5th +2 +1 +1 +4 7 5 2nd
6th +3 +2 +2 +5 11 6 2nd
7th +3 +2 +2 +5 15 7 3rd
8th +4 +2 +2 +6 19 8 3rd
9th +4 +3 +3 +6 23 9 3rd
10th +5 +3 +3 +7 27 10 4th
11th +5 +3 +3 +7 35 11 4th
12th +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 43 12 4th
13th +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 51 13 5th
14th +7/+2 +4 +4 +9 59 14 5th
15th +7/+2 +5 +5 +9 67 15 5th
16th +8/+3 +5 +5 +10 79 16 5th
17th +8/+3 +5 +5 +10 91 17 6th
18th +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 103 18 6th
19th +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 115 19 6th
20th +10/+5 +6 +6 +12 127 20 6th*The mental gains no power points from his class at 1st level. However, he does add any bonus power points he gains from a high Wisdom score, his race, and feats or other sources to his reserve. He can use these points (if any) to manifest his power.

Class Features
All the following are class features of the mental.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Mentals are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor does not, however, interfere with the manifestation of powers.

Power Points/Day: A mental's ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given above. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Wisdom score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items. A 1st-level mental gains no power points for his class level, but he gains bonus power points (if he is entitled to any), and can manifest the single power he knows with those power points.

Powers Known: A mental begins play knowing one mental power of your choice. Each time he achieves a new level, he unlocks the knowledge of a new power.
Choose the powers known from the mental power list. (Exception: The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge do allow a mental to learn powers from the lists of other classes.) A mental can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than his manifester level.
The total number of powers a mental can manifest in a day is limited only by his daily power points.
A mental simply knows his powers; they are ingrained in his mind. He does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though he must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain all his spent power points.
The Difficulty Class for saving throws against a mental's powers is 10 + the power’s level + the mental's Wisdom modifier.

Starting Gear
2d4 x 10 gp worth of equipment.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Mental Power List
Mentals choose their powers from the following list.

1st level: catfall, detect psionics, empathy, energy ray, entangling ectoplasm, far hand, inertial armor, matter agitation, mind thrust, missive, precognition, psionic charm, stomp, synesthete, telempathic projection, thicken skin, vigor

2nd level: animal affinity, concussion blast, body equilibrium, detect hostile intent, ego whip, energy push, mass missive, psionic knock, psionic levitate, psionic suggestion, psionic tongues, read thoughts, sensitivity to psychic impressions, sustenance

3rd level: body adjustment, body purification, dispel psionics, energy bolt, energy burst, false sensory input, greater concealing amorpha, psionic blast, telekinetic force, telekinetic thrust

4th level: correspond, energy adaption, mindwipe, psionic divination, psionic dimension door, psionic dominate, psionic fly, remote viewing, telekinetic maneuver

5th level: adapt body, hail of crystals, incarnate, mind probe, psionic teleport, psionic true seeing, power resistance, psychic crush

6th level: greater precognition, mind switch, personal mind blank, psionic contingency, psionic overland flight, retrieve, suspend life, temporal acceleration

JackMage666
2007-05-16, 10:26 AM
Seems nifty. Kinda like a Psionic Ardent. Personally, don't really like the name, but that's just a flavor thing.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-16, 11:24 AM
Name is absolutely terrible. I guess it doesn't matter since you'd rename the class for specific instances.

It sort of works in that it's a boring class for NPCs.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-16, 11:29 AM
Name is absolutely terrible. I guess it doesn't matter since you'd rename the class for specific instances.
Hey, its a legitimate title thats been used in RL. Open to suggestions though.

It sort of works in that it's a boring class for NPCs.
Well, if it was interesting it wouldn't be an NPC class now would it? :smallwink:

Assasinater
2007-05-16, 01:30 PM
I don't understand what's wrong with the name, it fits quite well.

Anyway, I'm surprised that WotC didn't came up with such a class, as they first brought the psionics. I think you've filled an important gap.

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-16, 09:40 PM
I don't understand what's wrong with the name, it fits quite well.

Anyway, I'm surprised that WotC didn't came up with such a class, as they first brought the psionics. I think you've filled an important gap.

Agreed. And maybe "Mentalist" would be more to people's liking?

EvilElitest
2007-05-16, 09:44 PM
Agreed. And maybe "Mentalist" would be more to people's liking?

sounds good to me
from,
EE

Blue_C.
2007-05-17, 12:04 AM
I've did a couple drafts of NPC psionic classes, but as you have a deeper understanding of the psionics system, I'll just copy yours. Mine was boring anyways; the one I kept was basically an expert with 4 skill points/ level, Hidden Talent as a bonus feat at first level and a bonus psionic feat at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th. I called it "Gifted."

Before I do that though, I'd suggest that even using the Power point and powers known progression from the psychic warrior, and striping out their feats, isn't enough to really peel it back to NPC power level. Compare the adept to the cleric, and the magewright (from Eberron, if you have it) to the wizard. Or, easier, the Warrior to the Fighter. The Fighter has an extra skill and a ton of feats. The Mental, compared to the psychic warrior, only loses the feats and the BAB progression.

I'd suggest doing the same thing the adept does, only taking it to fifth level in powers, and also scaling back both powers known and power points available. Remember, they aren't supposed to have a fighting chance against the PCs. A Mental at the first few levels (and, with luck, the higher levels) does. Re-balancing the powers known, power level capable of, and power point progression would be a trial, I know, but I think you might want to do it.

Edit: I may as well display exactly what I'm talking about.
Suggested NPC progression
{table=head]Level|PP/D|P. Known|Highest Level[br]Power Known

1st|
0*|
1|

2nd|
0*|
2|

3rd|
1|
2|

4th|
2|
3|

5th|
3|
4|

6th|
6|
4|

7th|
9|
5|

8th|
12|
6|

9th|
15|
7|

10th|
18|
7|

11th|
25|
8|

12th|
32|
9|

13th|
39|
10|

14th|
46|
11|

15th|
53|
11|

16th|
64|
12|

17th|
75|
13|

18th|
86|
14|

19th|
97|
15|

20th|
108|
16|
5[/table]
*The mental gains no power points from his class at 1st or 2nd level. However, he does add any bonus power points he gains from a high Wisdom score, his race, and feats or other sources to his reserve. He can use these points (if any) to manifest his power.

Lemur
2007-05-17, 02:09 AM
I agree that it seems like he has too many powers known for an NPC class. He should get less power points than a psychic warrior, and it seems wrong that the mental ends up knowing nearly twices as many powers as a wilder.

However, in addition to decreasing power points and powers known, I'd consider expanding the list they can choose from slightly. In particular, I'm thinking of the powers that used to be the "classic" psionic combat defenses: empty mind, thought shield, mental barrier, intellect fortress, and tower of iron will.

Icewalker
2007-05-17, 02:28 AM
Looks handy, and new simple NPC classes are always nice.

Although I know completely nothing about psionics. I need to look into that sometime.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-17, 09:54 AM
Before I do that though, I'd suggest that even using the Power point and powers known progression from the psychic warrior, and striping out their feats, isn't enough to really peel it back to NPC power level.

Compare the adept to the cleric, and the magewright (from Eberron, if you have it) to the wizard. Or, easier, the Warrior to the Fighter. The Fighter has an extra skill and a ton of feats. The Mental, compared to the psychic warrior, only loses the feats and the BAB progression.
As well as the weapon and shield profs, powers, and d4's instead of d8's.

An adept gets d6 and a familiar as well as almost the same ammount of spells known.

I'd suggest doing the same thing the adept does, only taking it to fifth level in powers, and also scaling back both powers known and power points available. Remember, they aren't supposed to have a fighting chance against the PCs. A Mental at the first few levels (and, with luck, the higher levels) does.
They could only stand up to a Psychic Warrior, and only then power wise. The warrior would then cut them to shreds.

Re-balancing the powers known, power level capable of, and power point progression would be a trial, I know, but I think you might want to do it.
I'll think on it and look things over, though not sure they can take more gimping.

and it seems wrong that the mental ends up knowing nearly twices as many powers as a wilder.
:smalleek:

Wilders are so gimped power-wise that they are nearly impossible to play. Basically the only thing worth doing with them is get the most bombastic powers and rev them up. Wilders are like Warlocks, about all they are good for is doing blasting damage.

However, in addition to decreasing power points and powers known, I'd consider expanding the list they can choose from slightly. In particular, I'm thinking of the powers that used to be the "classic" psionic combat defenses: empty mind, thought shield, mental barrier, intellect fortress, and tower of iron will.
Will think on it.