PDA

View Full Version : Does Xykon really understand the gate?? (Spoilers)

chibibar
2007-05-16, 10:28 AM
Ok.. lets look back in the past. Xykon has a diary about the gate's location and use. here is a question.

The gate is design to contain the snarl and keep it in check. Aka from growing bigger or out of control. By destroying the gate, wouldn't that just let the "rip in space" loose? so basically two gates so far are destroyed and the rip in space is out in the open.

Theoretically if Xykon really understand the snarl and the gates' function, Xykon could have construct a new gate and channel the snarl (or study it)

PsyBlade
2007-05-16, 10:32 AM
He's not trying to destroy the gate, he's trying to control the Snarl's power. There's a load of difference, and he can do his plan in many different ways.

Freelance Henchman
2007-05-16, 10:32 AM
I dont think we know yet what exactly Xykon is up to with the gates, only that he needs to perform some sort of weeks long ritual. Presumably he thinks he will gain some sort of power from this. I doubt he just wants to hold the gods to ransom with it, i.e. "do what I want or I release the snarl", its got to be something rather cleverer.

Zictor
2007-05-16, 11:00 AM
Well, he seems to think that he'll be able to harness the Snarl's power in some way.

That's why he doesn't want to destroy the gates, only have access to them.

Clasically, in literature, that's something all of the bad guys have tried to do in many a story. Usually, they get what they want only to find out that they can't control it at all.

I'm not sure that this is what's going to happen, though.

chibibar
2007-05-16, 12:41 PM
I understand that he wants to harness it, but with his fast power and resources why doesn't he just create a new gate and harness it for himself (aka the Liram's gate) since the rip is already there.

RobbyPants
2007-05-16, 01:19 PM
Well, as Xykon told Roy in 442 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0442.html), he knows about it's capacity destroy the world (which he claims not to want to do), so I think he understands it.

chibibar
2007-05-16, 01:29 PM
Well, as Xykon told Roy in 442 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0442.html), he knows about it's capacity destroy the world (which he claims not to want to do), so I think he understands it.

True but if he truly understands, then the two gates that are already destroy have the partial snarl running loose (depending the rip) Xykon could have rebuilt the gate and harness it...

I know that if Xykon actually did that, then there wouldn't be a story, but I'm just saying he could have right?

SteveMB
2007-05-16, 01:33 PM
True but if he truly understands, then the two gates that are already destroy have the partial snarl running loose (depending the rip) Xykon could have rebuilt the gate and harness it...

I know that if Xykon actually did that, then there wouldn't be a story, but I'm just saying he could have right?

Presumably the diary doesn't have a full set of "How To Build Your Own Gate (with parts list to take to your local Quest Buy)" instructions. Figuring it out for himself might be beyond Xykon's abilities.

teratorn
2007-05-16, 01:38 PM
I understand that he wants to harness it, but with his fast power and resources why doesn't he just create a new gate and harness it for himself (aka the Liram's gate) since the rip is already there.

Maybe because it's dangerous? Kraagor died while holding it. If the Snarl gets Xykon he's finished, soul-hiding-thingie or not. Behind a gate he is safe.

Querzis
2007-05-16, 01:39 PM

To create a gate, you need a rift. You cant create those rift, only the Snarl can. When a gate is destroyed, the rift is destroyed too. All the rift already have a gate on them. Therefore Xykon just cant create a gate.

Adlan
2007-05-16, 01:42 PM
If the rift is destroyed then surely it would be more sensible to simply build and then destroy the gates, thus destroying the rifts and resealing the snarl back into his prision.

teratorn
2007-05-16, 01:45 PM
To create a gate, you need a rift. You cant create those rift, only the Snarl can. When a gate is destroyed, the rift is destroyed too. All the rift already have a gate on them. Therefore Xykon just cant create a gate.

I don't think so. The crayons of time are clear on that, you can not close the rifts, only make it so that they don't grow. Most of the stuff is described in strip #0278 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0278.html). A destroyed gate will need to be rebuilt.

Querzis
2007-05-16, 01:46 PM
If the rift is destroyed then surely it would be more sensible to simply build and then destroy the gates, thus destroying the rifts and resealing the snarl back into his prision.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0278.html Destroying all the gates would destroy the world apparently.

Edit: Yeah you are right teratorn, I cant believe I read the same comic but I didnt saw that. But anyway Shojo said in time which imply they cant do it right after it was destroyed, otherwise they would have rebuilt a gate in the forest already.

Zafuel
2007-05-16, 01:49 PM
Well, he seems to think that he'll be able to harness the Snarl's power in some way.

That's why he doesn't want to destroy the gates, only have access to them.

Clasically, in literature, that's something all of the bad guys have tried to do in many a story. Usually, they get what they want only to find out that they can't control it at all.

I'm not sure that this is what's going to happen, though.

But the plan can only be enacted at the stroke of midnight, in the middle of a thunderstorm from on top of a collapsing glacier by placing some artifact onto some altar. There's never a "go" button.

David Argall
2007-05-18, 02:11 AM
I don't think so. The crayons of time are clear on that, you can not close the rifts, only make it so that they don't grow. Most of the stuff is described in strip #0278 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0278.html). A destroyed gate will need to be rebuilt.

Of course, we have to keep in mind that the speaker of this information is not a mage and admitedly ignorant of all sort of points, and is known to casually lie six ways from Sunday. So we had best not take his words as anything close to final.

Basalock
2007-05-18, 07:54 PM
There's never a "go" button.

Then I've made a few mistakes DMing, as in push a button doomsday machine is activated.