PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Vampire Character

Hiro
2015-09-23, 03:12 PM
I was recently working on an idea but I'm curious to what the playground thinks on it:

A half-elf ranger that ends up getting vamp'ed stemming from dealing with spawn harassing a village but ends up over their head. But manages to end up as a free willed one with their last act before drained totally was to stab the bastard in the chest (through the back) with a blessed-silver/mithril- stake.

Which uses the roleplay oriented template gain mentioned in the books of Way of the Wicked, consuming 5 feats to gain teh vampire template.

can a vampire be nomadic? using UMD to use a wand of "Shrink Item" on their Coffin and such?

MyrPsychologist
2015-09-23, 03:16 PM
I think the better question is "Why would a vampire feel so compelled to be nomadic?"

You can choose to play however you want to play. But ask yourself why is this character traveling at this point? The vampire that controlled him/her is dead and the character is already immortal; what more is there in the world for them?

Also. You can always just shove it in a cart and drag it around. You don't really NEED to be fancy. Although my favorite was turning a coffin into a golem for a vampire character.

Hiro
2015-09-23, 03:49 PM
Reason 1 is easy: if you keep moving around; it's harder to get hunted down by zealots.

Reason 2 is more of the character's history and such: the char is a Half-elf, like mentioned, but they're bastard born. The child of an Adventurer and a "nobleman" in comparison. Exact societal rank is meaningless, just that one was higher than the other and the conception was a one-night stand of sorts.

The char loses mother to illness which sets them off intiially to explore and such which leads to the situation described.

But even afterward, they still want to try and meet their now-mortal relations at the very least.

Ssalarn
2015-09-23, 03:55 PM
Not sure if you've seen Lords of the Night (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9dz9?Lords-of-the-Night) from Dreamscarred Press, but it includes great rules for playing vampiric characters, a variant template that gives vamps more of a VtM feel, and talks a bit about things like how vampiric adventurers would get around. It may be worth looking into for you. It's also just a great resource for GMs who want vampires to play prominent roles in their campaigns.

Hiro
2015-09-23, 04:31 PM
Thanks. I'll check in on that to see if I can find a download for it.

I've got Pathfinder's "blood of the night" companion for a little information but more is always helpful.

But back to char; I'm starting her (yes it a female) in Eranges/Kyonin but is "turned' somewhere in Ustalav; the ultimate destination is Kalsgard in the Land of the Linnorm Kings. Using the Inner Sea Guide

Edit: Crap, can't find a free downloadable version of Lords of the Night. I'd pay for it if I could but I'm unable to.

CGNefarious
2015-09-23, 09:18 PM
I'm currently playing a Lords of the Night vampire in a campaign run by Lappy9000 (Land of the Endless Sky) and so far I love the template. It makes things much, much, much easier for PCs who want to have their fangs and eat them too. Ok, that was pretty bad...

As for if they could be nomadic, it's all about how you portray the character and write the backstory. My guy is an ex-paladin who is still mostly working for his god, something pretty far from standard vampire lore. Your character is your own. Do with it as you wish.