PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Psychic Spells and AoO

Draco_Lord
2015-09-23, 07:12 PM
This is something I have been trying to figure out. Do Psychic spells provoke attacks of opportunity? They don't need movement, so I think that means they don't take them? Not sure, can't really find something one way or the other.

Psyren
2015-09-23, 07:17 PM
Of course they do, just like using a SLA would. You have to concentrate, therefore your eyes glaze over and you leave yourself open unless you cast defensively.

Draco_Lord
2015-09-23, 07:17 PM
Huh, where did I think that movement is what provoked attacks of opportunity. It does explain why I can't find anything about it.

Psyren
2015-09-23, 07:28 PM
Note also that casting psychic spells defensively is very difficult because of the Thought component. You'll need a full-round action (move to center + standard to cast) or else get Intuitive Spell. There are fewer spells with no Thought component than there are with no Emotion component.

CockroachTeaParty
2015-09-23, 08:36 PM
Note also that casting psychic spells defensively is very difficult because of the Thought component. You'll need a full-round action (move to center + standard to cast) or else get Intuitive Spell. There are fewer spells with no Thought component than there are with no Emotion component.

Intuitive Spell is a trap. All psychic casters are spontaneous, so it takes a full-round action to use metamagic, thus negating the point of eliminating the thought component in the first place.

Psyren
2015-09-23, 08:48 PM
Intuitive Spell is a trap. All psychic casters are spontaneous, so it takes a full-round action to use metamagic, thus negating the point of eliminating the thought component in the first place.

Rods are a thing.