PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Archetype: Oath of Unity

Turtlemancer
2015-09-23, 07:52 PM
I am running a modern DnD5e game and was looking at the Urban Arcana stuff in the Unearthed Arcana book and while looking at the City Cleric I got this tinge of inspiration. While not the most original thing out there I came up with the Paladin of unity. If anyone could read through this and make some suggestions I would love to hear peoples opinions.

Oath of Unity:
Oath: Brotherhood, Everyone who lives in this city are Brothers and Sisters; I will treat them as such. Respect, I will respect others, even my most fierce enemies. However I will always demand that I and others around me are shown the same respect in return. Fellowship, I will show kindness and compassion to those in need, and stand up for those who cannot do so for themselves. Community, I will support my community, and strive to make it a better place in which to live. Anonymity, I am just another hard working stiff, trying to make my city a better place, I have no need for accolades, I rarely hang around long enough for those who receive my kindness to learn my name, If I am owed pay I will stay long enough to collect it, if my hard work is recognized, I will accept the honor but only out of respect for those who wish to bestow it upon me.

Channel Divinity: Spark of Unity: As an action you may call upon your sense of unity to Imbue your allies with a resistance to any mind altering effects for one minute.

Channel Divinity: Rebuke the Wicked: Any humanoid within 30ft of the Paladin that can hear them must make a wisdom save, if they fail they will be stricken with guilt and will be forced to flee from the Paladin, If the creature takes damage or ends its turn 30ft away from the Paladin, they may make another wisdom save to be released from the effect.

Aura of Unity: At Level 7 the Paladin, As well as any friendly allies within 10 feet of the Paladin gain a bonus to melee damage rolls equal to the Paladin charisma modifier (A minimum of +1) a creature may only gain this benefit from one Paladin at a time, at 18th level the range increase to 30ft.

Gift of Brotherhood: At level 15 any ally within the Paladins aura who is reduced to 0hp and is not killed outright, may instead drop to 1hp at the paladins discretion, once this ability is used the paladin may not use it again until after a long rest.
Addition, you gain a +1 to all charisma (Persuasion, Intimidate, and Deception) checks.

Avatar of Unity: At 20th Level you may take an action to become an Avatar of Unity. While in this state each ally alive within 30ft of you, will grant you an extra 1d6 Psychic damage to all melee attacks, and a +1 to all Saving Throws. This bonus cannot exceed you Chr. Modifier. You may not use this feature again until after a Long rest.

Spells: 3rd Comprehend Language, Remote Access, 5th Find Vehicle, Silence., 9th Protection from Ballistics, Meld Into Stone., 13th Synchronicity, Stoneskin., 17th Commune with City, Rary’s Telepathic Bond.

A lot of it is borrowed and tweaked from other Paladin Oaths. I guess I don't trust myself to make anything really balanced. Its supposed to be kind of Silver Age Superheroes/ PSA Awesome. They are all about people, about respect, and about there community. There also a bit like a Vigilante. So what do you think.

JNAProductions
2015-09-23, 07:54 PM
I think it's overpowered. It's got an Aura that's crazy powerful for Alpha Striking, and the capstone is a constant rather than a burst ability.

Other than that, looks good.

Turtlemancer
2015-09-23, 08:00 PM
The aura is just the Oath-breaker one only not restricted to fiends and undead. Though some have said that that feature may be OP. I have no clew what you mean by capstone? At first I thought you meant the final transformation power but I just noticed it was not listed, Taking a shot in the dark do you mean that Spark of unity should be a burst ability rather than a constant one?

I've been thinking maybe this Oath should get its aura boost early instead of a unique aura and then get another unique feature at 18. What do you think?

JNAProductions
2015-09-23, 08:01 PM
Avatar of Unity. The one that gives you a permanent +3d6 to damage and +3 to saving throws, more or less.

Turtlemancer
2015-09-23, 08:03 PM
Oh crap it is there! And its supposed to only last a minute.

JNAProductions
2015-09-23, 08:03 PM
That's okay then. In fact, it might be a bit weak.

Turtlemancer
2015-09-23, 08:08 PM
Yeah I was thinking that was possible. Truth is the Capstone was tacked on, Maybe a +1 to attack rolls per nearby ally as-well. IDK I think Id rather make it more supportish actually to fall in line with the rest of the class.