PDA

View Full Version : Cannibalism classes and races

Cirrylius
2015-09-24, 03:58 AM
So I'm in an evil campaign, and I had an idea for a backup character/cohort; a barely-civilized cannibal gourmand whose goal is to encounter and sample these amazing new creatures we meet in every new dungeon. Cannibal- or eating-powered classes and races are somewhat thinner on the ground than I'm used to, hence the thread.

So far, beyond that^ the concept is a sardonic, uncivilized ghoul whose personality is half Silent Bob and half Bluto from Animal House, if that affects available choices.

Thanks!

Edit: Yes, okay, the character is very loosely based on Quina from FF9, shut up, let me have this:smallredface:

Thurbane
2015-09-24, 06:29 AM
Well, there's Soul Eater, but that's not really about eating flesh.

And there's monsters like Barghest and Dusk Giant, but not too useful for character ideas. Also many Undead with an inescapable craving for flesh.

Willing Deformity (Obese) feat maybe? Willing Deformity (teeth) as well.

Illithid Savant eats brains.

...it's a great character concept, but I can't think of a lot of crunch made for it off the top of my head.

Vhaidara
2015-09-24, 07:17 AM
Iirc, pathfinder has an orc racial archetype for the summoner where you can devour a recently deceased corpse to give your eidolon extra temporary evolution points. Combine with synthesist, and you can eat a dead body to, say, grow claws. Or an extra head. Or a tail with a stinger.

Geddy2112
2015-09-24, 09:20 AM
Pathfinder has the raging cannibal barbarian archetype, and the half orc blood god summoner.

There is also an evil core deity who is all about cannibalism and gluttony. You could be a cleric/antipaladin/whatever of said deity.

There are also spells like enemy's heart and blood biography that involve handling things you kill. Take those if they are applicable to your class.

WhamBamSam
2015-09-24, 12:14 PM
Mortal Hunter's transformation class abilities involve eating pieces of mortal flesh.

Gravetouched Ghoul Drunken Master with the Contagious Paralysis who carries around a still living troll arm (or, for reach, a length of troll intestines) that he's constantly nibbling at (biting to re-paralyze it and keep the regeneration at bay) which he then uses as an improvised weapon to deliver his paralyzing attack?

With some manner of reliable size increase (probably some sort of Polymorph), you could even set up an Area Attack build using Contagious Paralysis.

You could also try doing some Swallow Whole optimization, but that's pretty hard from the player's side of the table. Mortal Hunter might help, actually, since it uses Polymorph without being a caster with the looming specter of having better things to do with your actions than eat people constantly hanging over your head.

Inevitability
2015-09-24, 12:34 PM
How about a Death Master? They can use vials of blood as additional material components, and you can easily fluff the use of that as drinking the blood.

Cirrylius
2015-09-24, 02:13 PM
First of all, thanks for your responses, especially for such a... hard-to-fit concept.

...it's a great character concept, but I can't think of a lot of crunch made for it off the top of my head.
Thank you for that- I wanted to make sure it wasn't just me being obtuse:smallsigh:

Right now, in terms of crunch, I think a heavily re-fluffed Mortal Hunter, Lifedrinker, or Souleater is the best option- my only real regret is that those classes give so many wasted SLA-related buffs to what I envisioned as an almost comically non-magical character, somebody who survives on their own wits and toughness at almost any expense.

Imagine a crazy, semi-feral old survivalist Ranger who's lived in the woods so long they've stopped worrying about weapons, or farming, or tools and clothes half the time- someone who's become so self-sufficient that they've become less a Ranger than a kind of gritty, brutal, half-animalistic Monk. To the best of my knowledge, the options that would support that kind of character are horribly un-optimized- Vow of Poverty, that Survivor class from Savage Species, taking the easy road and just Advancing a ghoul to ECL 17 and specializing in refluffed grappling... ordinarily I'm not all about super-op, but I'd rather not hamstring myself either.

Flickerdart
2015-09-24, 02:38 PM
Check out the Body Leech (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925a) - this is a psion who captures still-living creatures inside cocoons and drains them of their substance to recover PP. The "eating" is mental and not physical, but after the body is drained of its Constitution, it's now dead and you can eat it as any other dead body. And if you're really twisted, nothing prevents you from lopping off pieces early...