PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A more extensive point buy system?

WalkingTheShade
2015-09-24, 04:44 AM
I'm certain someone has already thought of that, I'm just wondering where I can find it.

It being a system that extends the character creation point buy system in order to cover more than just attributes.
Giving a point price for such things as:

Level adjustment: giving the ability to start with less points but a stronger race,
Class tier: paying for the possibility to start (or later cross-class) in a tier 1 or 2 classes, or getting more points by giving up higher tiers (tier 3+ or tier 4+).

Or actually, even other parameters I'm not thinking about.

Such a system would permit to get more build points for MAD classes, while not overly penalizing higher tier SAD classes.

Opinions?

Amphetryon
2015-09-24, 05:18 AM
Sean K. Reynolds once proposed a point value system for the Feats within the PhB. It was not in like with a majority of forumites that I saw respond to it, but it's still on the internet.

Kraken
2015-09-24, 05:30 AM
Sean K. Reynolds once proposed a point value system for the Feats within the PhB. It was not in like with a majority of forumites that I saw respond to it, but it's still on the internet.

As I recall, this is because it's super favorable to casters. Essentially, you get 10 points every time you would get a feat, and feats are given point costs. As I recall, all metamagic feats and natural spell were only 5 points. Two weapon fighting though? 12 points. It did specify that you could buy a 12 point feat with only 10 points, going in debt the next time you got a feat, and that you couldn't go in debt twice in a row. Or something like that.

Amphetryon
2015-09-24, 05:36 AM
As I recall, this is because it's super favorable to casters. Essentially, you get 10 points every time you would get a feat, and feats are given point costs. As I recall, all metamagic feats and natural spell were only 5 points. Two weapon fighting though? 12 points. It did specify that you could buy a 12 point feat with only 10 points, going in debt the next time you got a feat, and that you couldn't go in debt twice in a row. Or something like that.

Yep. Toughness costs more points than a Metamagic Feat in his original scheme, which he seemed to believe was appropriate.

WalkingTheShade
2015-09-24, 06:13 AM
Yep. Toughness costs more points than a Metamagic Feat in his original scheme, which he seemed to believe was appropriate.
Well, I'm not interested in such a system. From what you say, it covers only feats.
What I have in mind is a system that covers character creation.

nyjastul69
2015-09-24, 08:37 AM
Curmudgeon posted an interesting point buy based upon tiers on the 2nd page of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?171576-3-5-D-amp-D-How-many-points-for-point-buy-system/page2) thread.

WalkingTheShade
2015-09-24, 08:52 AM
Curmudgeon posted an interesting point buy based upon tiers on the 2nd page of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?171576-3-5-D-amp-D-How-many-points-for-point-buy-system/page2) thread.

Thanks a lot, that (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9549185&postcount=42)'s the kind of things I'm after.

Did you remember that from nearly 5 years ago?! Or did you find it using a search engine?

Ruethgar
2015-09-24, 08:56 AM
There is the E6 point buy system in relation to LA, but it doesn't take into account your Tier.

nyjastul69
2015-09-24, 09:09 AM
Thanks a lot, that (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9549185&postcount=42)'s the kind of things I'm after.

Did you remember that from nearly 5 years ago?! Or did you find it using a search engine?

Glad I could help out. I recalled that he had created one but I couldn't recall the specifics. I used Google to find the thread.

WalkingTheShade
2015-09-24, 09:48 AM
There is the E6 point buy system in relation to LA, but it doesn't take into account your Tier.
Yup, had forgotten about that one...

Glad I could help out. I recalled that he had created one but I couldn't recall the specifics. I used Google to find the thread.
... may Pelor bless your memory.

I could work something out with all this.