PDA

View Full Version : My Companion Can't See in the Dark

melchizedek
2007-05-16, 04:45 PM
I'm currently building a Dwarven Ranger who spends the vast majority of his time adventuring in the underdark. He has no intention of using any form of light source. (The Ring of Darkhiding from the Magic Item Compendium will serve him well.) I can't seem to find any good choices for an Animal Companion for him. None of the basic animal companions have any means of fighting in the dark. Once I hit level eight, I could use a Dire Bat, which would work alright, but seems fairly weak, and, since I'm starting at level five, might not happen for a while. Are there any better choices? Is there a druid variant that doesn't use an animal companion?

Genome
2007-05-16, 05:25 PM
The Druidic Avenger variant (SRD) doesn't use an animal companion, as does the PHBII Shapeshift variant.

Edit: I have some memory of a variant or feat that enables you to take an elemental companion, but that may be just for Wizard and Sorceror familiars.

Khantalas
2007-05-16, 05:27 PM
Do you want a ranger or a druid? Make that part clear first.

In any case, PHB II has variants for both classes without animal companions.

^ Nope, that is druid. In Complete Mage, if it strikes your fancy.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-16, 05:29 PM
See if your DM will allow you to get a permanent darkvision cast on your animal companion.

It shouldn't be worth to much power wise.

melchizedek
2007-05-16, 05:34 PM
The last sentence should read say are there any ranger variants that don't use an animal companion.

Khantalas
2007-05-16, 05:36 PM
Yes. Distracting Strike, I believe its name is, from PHB 2.

melchizedek
2007-05-16, 05:38 PM
I'll talk to my DM about getting Darkvision cast on my animal companion. If he's up for that, that will probably be the best option. The distracting strike variant wouldn't be too useful, as it is most likely going to be a solo campaign.

selfcritical
2007-05-16, 05:40 PM
I'll talk to my DM about getting Darkvision cast on my animal companion. If he's up for that, that will probably be the best option. The distracting strike variant wouldn't be too useful, as it is most likely going to be a solo campaign.

Distracting strike> animal companion any day of the week. You+anyone with sneak attack= win

melchizedek
2007-05-16, 05:43 PM
But there won't be anyone with sneak attack. There will just be me.

Skjaldbakka
2007-05-16, 05:44 PM
Unless you are adventuring with a party full of people with darkvision, there will be a light source with the party. Just something to keep in mind. Permanency + Darkvision will also be expensive to get done, since you have to pay 5g.p. per XP. I don't remember how much XP a permanent DV costs, but it can't be cheap.

EDIT- solo game I see. You will definitely want an animal companion then. You might want to consider taking Natural Bond to make your animal companion better (that might even make you eligible for Dire Bat earlier).

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-16, 05:48 PM
I'm assuming that the DM will let him have it for free. For a solo game it isn't that overpowered at all. Especially if you plan on adventuring in the udnerdark the whole time and are a dwarf ranger.

TheThan
2007-05-16, 09:02 PM
How about a helm of darkvision built to fit your animal companion? I mean if a warrior can equip his ride with armor, why not your animal companion?

Tor the Fallen
2007-05-16, 09:06 PM
There's no reason animals couldn't have evolved darkvision. Ask your DM if it'd be reasonable to have underdark animal races that developed darkvision. A wolf or medium sized feline, perhaps.

Hurlbut
2007-05-16, 09:47 PM
There's no reason animals couldn't have evolved darkvision. Ask your DM if it'd be reasonable to have underdark animal races that developed darkvision. A wolf or medium sized feline, perhaps.It's possible, the cat should already have low-light vision.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-16, 10:18 PM
You could also use the feat Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer. It lets you treat your effective druid level as three higher, so you could get the dire bat at level 5.

Of course, it is a large flying animal in an underground environment, so that may cause some problems. (But I have little experience with the underdark setting, so that might not be an issue for all I know.) On the other hand, you can ride it...

LotharBot
2007-05-17, 12:21 AM
If you don't want an animal companion, consider the flaw "Loner" from Dragon #327 (documented here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/datafind/feats.shtml)). This allows you to take a feat in place of the class feature.

Otherwise, items of goggles of night (12,000 gp), a belt of dwarvenkind (14,900 gp), or a cast of darkvision followed by permanency could benefit whatever animal you select. Granted, those aren't exactly affordable for a level 5 character, but in a solo game your DM might make some sort of exception.

Jamie Fameflame
2007-05-17, 12:59 AM
Dire Mole :smallcool:

Borogove
2007-05-17, 04:27 AM
Take the druid variant in complete mage (possibly also on the wizards website) which gives you an elemental instead of an animal companion. Take an earth elemental. darkvision problem solved, and you get a companion who has no problem with confined spaces in the bargain (on basis of earth glide).

Edit: variant is found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a