PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Which DSP class works best as a deadly archer?

EisenKreutzer
2015-09-24, 11:17 AM
I'm contemplating an archer characterfor an all-DSP campaign.
I want to play an effective archer who can stay in the back, but who isn't completely useless up close either.

However, I can't decide between the Markman psionic class or an initiator with Solar Wind.

Which option would the playground recommend? What are the strength of each class?

Also, are there any archer options I have missed? Do any of the Akashic classes have archery potential?

stack
2015-09-24, 11:46 AM
Hand cannon viziers have ranged potential, but aren't technically archers. Akasin gurus can do good damage with a longbow. Adaptive gunner archetype marksmen are another Akashic option. Note that handcannon range is not great.

As for initiator vs marksman, that is an interesting question. Marksmen get some nice tricks, but I really like my hawkguard warder. Is PoW expanded on the table? The style feats and tempest game discipline impact the analysis somewhat.

Tuvarkz
2015-09-24, 11:47 AM
Archer Warlord-Has insane burst potential
Hawkguard (Archetype) Warder archetype-Noticeably tanky, great for battlefield control
Archer Stalker-One of the classes that can take great advantage of the x3 crit multiplier of Composite Longbows, with attack rerolls and crit range increase
Archer Harbinger-The range compensates for the Harbi's slight frailness
Archer Mystic-Doesn't work as well as the Gunsmoke Mystic since it doesn't have the support the firearm archetype gets, but is efficient regardless
Archer Zealot-No idea, to be honest; not that good with the Zealot.
Not that great on Psionics system mastery, but Soulknife should work semi-decently. Aegis is not that good, however, besides the early enhancement bonuses, the only thing you get is Powerful Build from it.

EisenKreutzer
2015-09-24, 01:08 PM
Hand cannon viziers have ranged potential, but aren't technically archers. Akasin gurus can do good damage with a longbow. Adaptive gunner archetype marksmen are another Akashic option. Note that handcannon range is not great.

As for initiator vs marksman, that is an interesting question. Marksmen get some nice tricks, but I really like my hawkguard warder. Is PoW expanded on the table? The style feats and tempest game discipline impact the analysis somewhat.

The hand cannon idea is interesting, but I really want to go for a bow.

PoW expanded is definitely on the table.

stack
2015-09-24, 01:31 PM
There is an option for an archery related prestige class then, the Phoenix Champion. Its not great the first couple levels, but has some interesting abilities later on.

Marksmen have the really nasty trick of using wind strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/w/wind-strike) when making volleys, but you have very limited PP. Initiators are better for long days. I really haven't played a marksman enough to give a strong recommendation though.

At least at low levels, most maneuvers don't do much for full attacks, so rapid shot volley type archers are going to look a lot alike when they full attack. Initiators have nice things to do when not full attacking though (very handy if not playing a human, given all the feats required for ranged combat).

Ultimately I don't think you will go far wrong either way. Personally, I've played a hawkgaurd at low levels and really enjoyed the class/archetype.

Elricaltovilla
2015-09-24, 01:35 PM
Well, there's the Marksman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/marksman) for ranged Psionics. Psychic Warriors can also do it to a degree, but are much less specialized.

For PoW, your base Warlord is probably the best. With archery specific gambits, Solar Wind and Tempest Gale you can really lay down some hurt with a bow. There's also the Phoenix Champion (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lZdXjLE6f_cLl6z1wtMdxfQXIlfb4od0Yc_a931tR6o/edit), a PoW:E prestige class focused on archery and other ranged combat styles.

Other stuff has already been mentioned, but those are the best ones in my opinion.

EDIT: Looks like I got stalkered.

Kaidinah
2015-09-24, 01:41 PM
There is an initiating archetype for Marksmen in Path of War: Expanded as well called the Mind's Eye Disciple.

radionausea
2015-09-24, 02:00 PM
Suqur-blooded Aellar (from Bloodforge) Vigilante Stalker focused on Tempest Gale and Solar Wind will be pretty good.

Take the Font of Power talent for half your character level in essence and put it into the Aellar racial ability for a decent boost to attack (and damage? Can't remember) and/or take chakra targeting. Then the crit boosting Arts.

Mithril Leaf
2015-09-24, 02:39 PM
Remember that it's an option to have Solar Wind do Acid Damage, which is generally preferable.

Ssalarn
2015-09-24, 06:03 PM
From Akashic Mysteries, Guru with the Akasin Philosophy can use their Gentle Touch with a longbow, allowing them to add a really solid amount of damage to their ranged attacks (Wis mod +1d4/essence), plus they've got great skills and lots of good utility options. The Vayist Guru normally focuses more on thrown weapons, but you can take the Philosophy of Battle feat to add longbows as an option and the rest of their abilities will be very complementary.

While the 3/4 BAB and the dearth of bonus feats are probably the Guru's biggest weaknesses as an archer, they do get to deal a much larger amount of damage per arrow, get an array of special effects they can stack onto their arrows, and are awesome skill-monkeys.

Marksmen have huge static bonuses and some really solid options, with lots of versatility and a few cool tricks depending on how they specialize. They're both fun and easy to play.

Initiators are probably going to end up with the best damage and the least versatility of the DSP options. They're solid and their maneuvers will give them good options, but the Marksman and the Guru are going to have a larger chunk of out of combat options. The initiator archers are going to be the best at fulfilling a specific selected combat role, like tank or DPR.

Novawurmson
2015-09-24, 10:20 PM
Aegis can actually be a solid ranged attacker as long as Ultimate Psionics is on the table (not just Psionics Unleashed+Expanded on the srd). With Improved Ranged Attack, your base damage with your ranged weapon increases by 1d8 per 5 class levels, which is enough of a damage boost to stay relevant while also having great utility from your customizations. Alternatively, you can go Soulbolt (i.e. ranged)/Aegis/Metaforge and become Samus/Megaman/Iron Man/anyone with a power suit and a ranged weapon. Check out the aegis guide in my signature for more info on the class.

Edit: Not to say that the Marksman isn't an equal or better class for ranged attackers (there's a marksman guide there, too), just the aegis isn't completely out of the running for "ranged DPS builds." The Psychic Warrior can also function as a ranged attacker, while we're on the subject.