PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Need critiques and suggestions

Lawleepawpz
2015-09-24, 12:12 PM
So, I am about to join my first 3.5 game as a player in several years, and I fear my ability to optimize has suffered during my time as a DM.

I am looking at being the only real front line that the party will have (the others are looking at Monk/Rogue (sneaky people) and one is undecided, but leaning towards a full-caster) so I am wanting to be capable of forcing the enemy to attack me through sheer damage and ability to kill everything. I am planning on starting Paladin no matter what, and I want to stick it out at least 4 levels for the mount, since that's very thematic for a Paladin.

Currently, I am considering Human Paladin 6/Sorceror 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Warblade 8. 2 Paladin levels are in the air, as well as any number of Warblade levels. 5 and 6 of Paladin are purely for the Planar Paladin level, to get a Celestial Mount. In addition, I'd be taking Drakkensteed/Dragonnel (I forget which of the two is better at the moment) in order to provide a backup for myself if I am forced to cover downed party members long enough to get a Lay On Hands. Should I be the only person actually capable of melee combat, I was considering Fist of Raziel, for both flavor and the mechanical strength of the class. I also may consider Paladin of Freedom for mechanical freedom to take Lion Spirit Totem Whirling Frenzy in order to get that extra attack and Pounce.

The Warblade levels are largely ignoring the class features, as I am merely looking for the maneuvers for the ability to affect combat more easily. The sorceror level is pre-req for A.C., because it the +9 boost to AC from Shield would allow me to save on the Animated Shield, netting me better stat boosts to cover the MAD. Since it also gives me access to third level spells overall, and an IL of 14, I should have enough versatility to sustain a solo melee combat for an extended period.

Feats I am taking for certain: Power Attack (duh), Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, and their pre-reqs. Able Learner as well, assuming flaws are allowed, simply to help cover for the lack of skills I'd be having. Curse Breaker (I forget if that is an ACL or feat, AFB atm)

Feats I am considering: Divine Metamagic, Divine Metamagic Extend, Divine Metamagic Persist (This is purely if I become the primary buffer of the party, which is possible as well, unfortunately) Awesome Smite, Spirited Charge Line (Unlikely, however) Battle Blessing (Again, unlikely if I take Abjurant Champion), Skilled City Dweller (For gather information)

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Since the other party members are mostly new to the system (or are very low-op backgrounds) I am wanting to be able to fill as much of the line as possible, as well as provide some decent utility. Overshadowing shouldn't be a problem, since I am most likely going to be the only warrior-type of character.

Editmania: I am currently assuming an Elite stat distribution, as the GM has not yet told me how we are generating them.

GilesTheCleric
2015-09-24, 12:28 PM
If everyone else in the party is going to have the capability to sneak, have you considered joining them instead of doing something different? Having a party of all stealthy characters opens up entirely different solutions and types of gameplay, as long as your GM is okay with it.

Lawleepawpz
2015-09-24, 12:36 PM
If everyone else in the party is going to have the capability to sneak, have you considered joining them instead of doing something different? Having a party of all stealthy characters opens up entirely different solutions and types of gameplay, as long as your GM is okay with it.

The largest issue here is that there is supposedly a war going on during the campaign, and we are likely to be attacked by roving bands of soldiers/mercenaries. That's why I am mostly set on being a front line class.
Alternatively, I might just put Able Learner ranks into Hide and Move Silently, and take Nymphs Kiss in an effort to get even more skill points. I believe I would be getting 5-6 a level, which is not terrible. The issue there is the requirement of a continued relationship with a Nymph, considering I'd be travelling a lot and not get access to 5th level spells for free teleport.
Or just Invisibility/some method of leaving the ground. Floating disk maybe?

EDIT: Perhaps an investment in a Called enchantment on my armor as well, in order to negate the ACP whenever I need to sneak or something.

Double-Edit: I spoke to the GM quickly about it, and he heavily approves a Paladin in the party. He is wanting a very good-guy like game, and said that a front liner is most likely going to be invaluable.