PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5] Just -how- does Search for traps work?

D4rkh0rus
2015-09-24, 02:33 PM
From what I read, searching for traps is a full-round action that requires a prompt by the player (He has to declare he is searching).

which means that given the flow of a dungeon, It's impossible to search on the go. The party will move and trigger all the traps in their way, cause searching needs to be called for.
Now, If the character said something like "Ok, I'm searching every 5ft square around me and every time I take a step" It would slow down the game to a crawl, From the sheer amount of rolls one would have to make to move along, not to mention the in-game time it would take.

Am I reading it right? or is there some clause somewhere that allows a person to detect a trap as he passes it without having to specifically call out he's searching for them?

If I am reading right, Is there some means to achieve this "Instant search check" ability?

Aharon
2015-09-24, 02:39 PM
From what I read, searching for traps is a full-round action that requires a prompt by the player (He has to declare he is searching).

which means that given the flow of a dungeon, It's impossible to search on the go. The party will move and trigger all the traps in their way, cause searching needs to be called for.
Now, If the character said something like "Ok, I'm searching every 5ft square around me and every time I take a step" It would slow down the game to a crawl, From the sheer amount of rolls one would have to make to move along, not to mention the in-game time it would take.

Am I reading it right? or is there some clause somewhere that allows a person to detect a trap as he passes it without having to specifically call out he's searching for them?

If I am reading right, Is there some means to achieve this "Instant search check" ability?

The player could insist on taking the rolls. A sensible solution would be to either have the player always take 10, or have the DM roll for the player when there actually are traps.

nedz
2015-09-24, 03:01 PM

DM fiat — and a good use of it too.

Now Dwarves get a free roll for this, due to their Stonecunning, and there are probably other racial/class features like this as well.

Segev
2015-09-24, 03:12 PM
I have, in the past, proposed changing searching for traps to being workable for any DC, regardless of class, and making the Trapfinding class feature a reflexive check rolled just before the attack roll or saving throw of a trap is made. If the rogue succeeds on his Search check, he notices the trap just before it's triggered and can call out a warning, pull back the character, or otherwise prevent the ally (or himself) from triggering it.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-24, 03:21 PM
Trap Sensitivity is a feat in Dungeonscape that allows you to sense mechanical traps in the same way an elf senses secret doors.

Ferronach
2015-09-24, 03:54 PM
I usually rule that trap sense:

At 3rd level, a rogue gains an intuitive sense that alerts her to danger from traps, giving her...
Causes the rogue to also have a "spidey sense" based on reasoning and experience. I hint to the rogue when there might be a trap nearby.

As a player just use your gut instinct. Chances are, traps will be where you think that they are. If you have been wading through mobs and then come to a deserted tunnel.. probably trapped.
You come to an unguarded door in a dungeon, prossibly trapped. I big room with some mobs, unlikely.
Ask your DM if you notice anythin out of place or odd as you walk through the dungeon. Any strange holes in the walls/floor/roof, strange marks or even magical symbols, any body/skelton parts or damaged gear? the DM will try to be sneaky with traps but usually won't go out of his/her way to obliterate the party with tons of hidden traps.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-24, 03:57 PM
Use "take 10". There will be lots of in-game time, but no table time except when the DM tells you that your characters will need meal or rest breaks.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-09-24, 04:02 PM
In my games you just announce once that you're searching for traps and you're assumed to search as long as circumstances permit (so no searching when you're running for your life, or the barbarian charges forward without waiting for the rogue to scout). You don't have to say it over and over for every 5ft step.
The DM rolls a whole bunch of dice for that and just picks the next in line whenever a trap comes up, and informs the players what happens according to the roll.

Psyren
2015-09-24, 04:05 PM
Just use the PF rules - searching for traps is a move action and covers all squares you can see, so the party can move up to their speed while you look around. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0855.html) The only time you won't be able to search properly is when the party is running for their lives - as it should be :smallamused:

In addition, the closer you are to a given square the better your chances - which is logical.

Crake
2015-09-24, 10:19 PM
In my games you just announce once that you're searching for traps and you're assumed to search as long as circumstances permit (so no searching when you're running for your life, or the barbarian charges forward without waiting for the rogue to scout). You don't have to say it over and over for every 5ft step.
The DM rolls a whole bunch of dice for that and just picks the next in line whenever a trap comes up, and informs the players what happens according to the roll.

Yeah, this is pretty much the way I do it, just have the players announce the exact path that they're taking, and which squares they intend to search.

Seclora
2015-09-24, 10:41 PM
My understanding is that one simply casts Summon Monster 1 and sends something in the average party member's weight and/or height category on ahead of them. When it dies you know you found one.

In more practical terms, you just develop a feel for where your DM likes to place traps and search when you approach similar circumstances. If the whole hallway is trapped, or you think it might be, roll something down it and see what happens. Tap suspicious looking things with an eleven foot pole, whoever has the best saves and Hit Points should stand in front of the formation, and only ever use doors, floor tiles, and hallways the local Kobolds have already been seen using, doing so exactly as they have been using them. Arcane Sight or Detect Magic are also useful, since they let you find those pesky magical traps a little faster.

Oh, and there is a spell called 'Instant Search' in the Spell Compendium you might want an item of.

D4rkh0rus
2015-09-26, 10:03 PM
Thanks for this information all of you, its very useful!