PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Quick question for eternal wands

RandomlyInspire
2015-09-24, 04:28 PM
If I can cast level two arcane spells, but don't know any abjuration spells. does having an eternal wand of shield, qualify me for the PrC requirement: "Must be able to cast 1st-level arcane spells, including at least one abjuration spell."?

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-24, 04:36 PM
If I can cast level two arcane spells, but don't know any abjuration spells. does having an eternal wand of shield, qualify me for the PrC requirement: "Must be able to cast 1st-level arcane spells, including at least one abjuration spell."?

I have stated in these forums before that when I DM I do not allow items to be used to fulfill prerequisites in this way. I just think it is a bad idea.

That having been said however, there is an argument that could be made in support of this working. Wands do technically allow you to cast a spell. From the SRD "casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity." (Emphasis added.) This is hardly concrete and I would highly recommend you ask your DM for a ruling before you try this.

However, keep in mind that if you no longer qualify for a Prestige Class you lose all of the abilities of that class. So losing the wand would be crippling to such a character. You are putting a lot of trust in always having that item on you.

legomaster00156
2015-09-24, 04:36 PM
No. Having a magic item capable of using a spell does not count as being able to cast a spell for purposes of prerequisites.

Greenish
2015-09-24, 04:38 PM
No. Activating an eternal wand isn't the same as casting a spell.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-24, 05:12 PM
Activating an eternal wand isn't explicitly stated to be spellcasting. Activating a regular wand is (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 245). A 1st-level Bard (with other class levels) having an appropriate choice of wands can qualify for Sublime Chord as soon as they establish the SC skill ranks requirements. After that, Sanctum Spell applied to a (normally) 4th-level Sublime Chord spell will satisfy the SC spellcasting criterion and the wand is surplus to requirements.

Shenanigans are fun to contemplate, but don't try this at home, kids.