PDA

View Full Version : Treant Companion

Genome
2007-05-16, 08:00 PM
I'm playing a Ranger that gets along better with plants than animals, so I've been searching for a way to have a treant-like creature as a substitute for animal companion. Is it possible?

JungeonJeff
2007-05-16, 08:47 PM
Hmmm... Im not aware of any substitution lvl's o such, that let you get a plant/treant as a companion, but you might talk the GM into allowing Animal companions with templates (for a decreased advancement in +natural armor, tricks, etc., just like bigger animals), and the go for Woodling or Greenbound templates (MMIII, and Races of Farun? -this might be wrong as im AFB)

-Just a thought

beansnrice
2007-05-17, 02:44 AM
Heck make your ranger a treant himself. Use the savage species racial levels for treant. They start at level one young and flexible like a sapling and get a dex bonus. You could then use the family bow which may just be made out of a relative. :smalleek:

kpenguin
2007-05-17, 02:51 AM
But dude, Savage Species is 3.0 and broken. BROKEN!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-17, 03:24 AM

Grr...

1. Page 4 of Savage Species details some of the updates for 3.5 such as the removal of the beast type. This makes Savage Species a sort of 3.4.

2. It's called 3.5 because it doesn't invalidate 3.0 resources.

3. DnD doesn't have an official ruleset, it just has RAW and nobody plays exact RAW anyway.

4. It isn't that broken. Those races look powerful but can be beaten into the ground by a character with full levels in a spellcasting class. Anyway, nothing's broken unless it takes away from the enjoyment of the game.

5. I don't personally think playing a treant is what the OP wants...

Leon
2007-05-17, 03:44 AM

many of the 3.0 books are still valid books, some have a small pdf that updats what needs to be done and others are pretty right to stand alone

as to SS being broken, no more so that things you can do with 3 core classes

The Glyphstone
2007-05-17, 04:30 AM
It's not SS that's broken, it's a handful of bits in it...the Feral template, and the Illithid Savant PrC (the latter really is DM Fiat given rules form, and no player should ever be using it anyways).