PDA

View Full Version : Variant Cleric Class Feature: Reluctant Convert

Gwenfloor
2007-05-16, 09:53 PM
Soon, I plan on making a variant class feature for the Cleric: Reluctant Convert, a character who was converted to the worship of a religion against his/her will.

As you all can tell, I am trying to create a world where not all Clerics and Paladins are willing and/or just servants of the deities, whether they are total whackjobs or just hateful and resenting of their servitude.

New variant class feature: Reluctant Convert.
Replaces: One of your two granted domain powers.
For one reason or another, you were converted to another religion against your will. Whether the Hextorians overthrew the regime and forced everyone to worship the Herald of Hell, or the clan chieftian of a Dwarven tribe converted to the "proper and true" way of Pholtus, you serve your deity out of fear, not respect.
Benefit: You can be within two steps of your deities' alignment, as you have not totally adjusted to the dogma and philosophy of your new religion. Disobeying the Code of Conduct in any other way still makes you an ex-cleric. When you receive atonement to convert to another religion, you or the Cleric casting the spell only needs to pay half the experience point cost, as you were not that spiritually bonded with the religion. If you are two steps away from your deities' alignment, your aura detects as the alignment one step away from your patron deity.

Legoman
2007-05-16, 11:52 PM
It seems like you take away a mechanical ability (and an important one, that) to give a fluff ability - and the ability to atone more readily.

Is there anything else you could add to compensate?

Really, why not just be a standard cleric and role-play the backstory?

Dryad
2007-05-18, 08:46 AM
I kind of like it, were it not that I don't think a reluctant priest would consider themselves a priest, at all, and therefor, wouldn't get any spells.
But I really like the fact that you root out a potentially powerful ability to make place for this.

Gwenfloor
2007-05-18, 11:35 AM
It seems like you take away a mechanical ability (and an important one, that) to give a fluff ability - and the ability to atone more readily.

Is there anything else you could add to compensate?

Really, why not just be a standard cleric and role-play the backstory?

You gain a "fake" aura.

Losing Turning Undead is quite a lot. I will give them something to compensate. Maybe a circumstance bonus equal to their Cleric level on certain skill checks, or Misdirection and/or Undetectable Alignment as a spell-like ability.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-18, 11:50 AM
I'd leave the Turn Undead, but deny access to one of their granted domain powers.

Gwenfloor
2007-05-18, 06:30 PM
I'd leave the Turn Undead, but deny access to one of their granted domain powers.

I did just that. Thank you. I think that it works out.