PDA

View Full Version : Weird Dreams and other Imaginings.

Malak'ai
2015-09-25, 08:53 AM
Hello there everyone,

I had a dream the other night that made me sit up in the morning and ask myself "What the hell was that?".

Now, before I tell the story, I'll just say that I had just started to take my antidepressants again after over a year of not needing them, so the first few nights generally give me some pretty wacky dreams as it is (those that I remember anyway) as they start taking effect.

So, onto the story:
I opened my eyes to find myself in my kitchen, except everything was huge! I was laying down on my side on the bench. I couldn't move my arms and legs, but everything else felt fine.
So I eventually wiggled my way upright and started hopping along the bench to try and find out what was going on. I managed to reach the stove top and there was a pot sitting on a red hot element. What I saw in the reflection made me stand there blinking in shock for a moment.

I was a kernal of corn. Not a corn cob. Not a pack of frozen corn. A single, little, yellow, delicious looking kernal of corn, but with eyes.

To say it took a bit to take in is a bit of an understatement.
Well, after I accepted the fact I was corn, the only think I could think of was get off the bench before you're either thrown in the pot, or the bin so I set out to find a was down.
While making my way back past the dish cupboard, hopping my little corn heart out, I heard a rattle. I knew that rattle... It was the cutlery drawer.
Out of that terrifying abyss came the knives, forks, spoons, potato peeler and a few other impliments, which as a peice of corn could only be described as food torture devices.

I redoubled my efforts to gets back to the other end of the bench, with all the silverware and other things following me like a mealtime army. I got past the cupboard and had to stop in horror. Coming towards me from behind a bunch of mail was the butter dish, flanked by the salt and pepper shakers! Slipping, oozingand clonking their way along the formica.

I was trapped. I had nowhere to go but over the edge. So that's what I did. Little kernal of corn me jumped, just hoping I wouldn't splat on the floor below.
Luckily enough I woke up during the fall so I didn't have to find out.

Once I was sure I was actually concious the first thing I did was make sure I was human again. Then I sat up and scratched my head, trying to figure out if I was remembering everything correctly. As I said right at the start, all I could think to say was What the hell was that?.

Anyway, thanks for reading my little tale. Please feel free to tell your own story of weird or wacky dreams, imaginings or thoughts.

Fragenstein
2015-09-25, 09:12 AM
Well. I've had some weird dreams, but mostly they're just weird in context of my life. So they wouldn't seem that weird to others. Certainly nothing on the kernel-of-corn level weirdness, anyway.

I do have two commonly recurring elements that I've never been able to understand, however. Stairs and Elevators. Both recur frequently.

For elevators, it's usually that they just don't work properly. They take me up much higher, much faster than I intended and they're rickety pieces of drek. The elevators and the buildings they climb always seem ready to fall apart and drop me a thousand feet to my death. I don't have any sort of fear of elevators in real life, but I do have a fear of heights. Somehow this fear of heights comes out when I dream of elevators.

The closest I can come to understanding what it means is some messed up fear of success. Dunno. Seems plausible.

If they go down? It's usually some ghastly, industrial affair that takes me to a haunted/horror scene. I enjoy those more than the ones involving heights.

Stairs are very similar. If I'm trying to go up, the stairs are filled with gaps and missing pieces that I'm expected to jump over without falling to my death. Everyone else in the dream seems okay with the concept, but it always gives me trouble.

Going down stairs is a blast, however. I have a method where I simply jump down a set of stairs, aiming towards the next landing. I then grab whatever post is supporting the railing and whip myself around to repeat the process on the next set of stairs. It's a fast way to descend and it's fun. Sometimes I'm being chased by something, but usually it's just an exciting way to climb down stairs.

That last is probably because of something a friend told me in high-school. This was back when universal interpretations to dreams were all the rage, and climbing down stairs was supposed to represent a descent into nightmare. I feel like I took that too seriously and came up with an alternate method of taking the stairs without actually climbing down them.

Could be. I'm not sure. I just like it when it happens.

enderlord99
2015-09-25, 03:05 PM
I once woke up short of breath after dreaming about someone else running.

I've tried to dream it again, but this time lucidly, but I haven't had much success; my reason for trying is that I get intolerably itchy if I exercise while awake, so I figured running in my sleep like a dog could work as a substitute (because I need to exercise somehow.)

Domino Quartz
2015-09-25, 06:32 PM
I had a dream the other night about an orc couple getting married, with a klingon officiating the wedding. I'm not a particularly big Star Trek fan, so I don't know where the klingon came from.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-25, 09:16 PM
I've had quite a few historical dreams. In one of them, I was a German tank commander in charge of a section of 4 panzers, waiting to ambush an American unit in Normandy. Which is very ironic, considering that I am an American.

I've had a couple of science-fiction dreams set in a huge futuristic city -- not a claustrophobic one like Coruscant, but big, sweeping vistas, plazas, looping bridges sweeping delicately between needle-like towers widely spaced. The oddest thing about that one, I suppose, is that I've dreamed about that city three times at least, several years apart, and it's always recognizably the same place.

Then there are the run of the mill weird dreams, like the one last night where I was trying to catch two dogs and a tiger that had broken out of the neighbor's yard in winter, while he was away. :smalltongue: