PDA

View Full Version : If you could have 1 encounter or daily power, or racial trait, in real life...

SangoProduction
2015-09-25, 11:22 AM
1) Assume you are level 10 for all purposes relating to level.

2) Choose any level 10 or lower ability.

3) Any racial trait counts for this purpose.

Personally, I'd take some teleportation abilities. Being able to ignore walls is so convenient.

Kurald Galain
2015-09-25, 12:17 PM
Yeah, Fey Step, hands down. It also gets you onto high balconies, across busy streets, past obnoxious bouncers, and possibly away from people who want to fight you.

GPuzzle
2015-09-25, 12:25 PM
Yeah, Fey Step, hands down. It also gets you onto high balconies, across busy streets, past obnoxious bouncers, and possibly away from people who want to fight you.

Fey Step is good. If we can enhance our Teleportations I'm going with Eldritch Stride, though. Simply because now I can teleport all the time. Shadow Jaunt's useful, but a bit less.

Another one is Persistent Tail. Just because being able to disappear from sight, sound and vision at any moment is very useful.

TopCheese
2015-09-25, 04:34 PM
The problem with fey step or any other teleportation ability is that people will always ask you for favors or rides, it will get old fast.

I would want something that can be diquised as a normal ability, but makes me awesome.

You also have to worry about government envolvment and politicians performing witch hunts.

The Halfling racial ability would be fantastic, would keep me out of a lot of problems (car wrecks, sucker punches, striking accidents). People would just brush it off as luck and not something more than natural luck.

I don't have access to my book but I think there is a level 10 or lower ability that lets you fly for a short distance and then land at the end of your movement (30'). I would make so much money being able to do trick jumps (jumping over snake pit). Put the distance just barely outside the world record and blamo... Guess I could cheat the Olympics.

NomGarret
2015-09-25, 11:01 PM
Well just looking at racials to start:

Wind walker isn't teleporting, but slightly better range and built in feather fall makes a decent alternative.

Memory of a thousand lifetimes isn't flashy, but it makes you better at doing anything.

SangoProduction
2015-09-25, 11:39 PM
Yeah, but if you have something that's hard to prove as anything not mundane, you can't get 1 million dollars from that challenge to prove supernatural things exist.

Also, they ask you for a teleportation, have it be so that you teleport just outside of a wall, while they teleport inside of it....and hope that damage is just an abstraction in the real world as well, lol. They'll know not to ask again.

Kurald Galain
2015-09-26, 02:05 AM
The problem with fey step or any other teleportation ability is that people will always ask you for favors or rides, it will get old fast.
The problem with knowing how a computer works is that people will always ask you for favors. And yes, that gets old; the trick is in learning how to say no to that.

Anyway, the wizard's charm utility is also a decent pick.

GPuzzle
2015-09-26, 07:20 AM
Virtue!

Pop Virtue whenever you need it, and you are hurt less by most things!

TopCheese
2015-09-26, 10:09 AM
The problem with knowing how a computer works is that people will always ask you for favors. And yes, that gets old; the trick is in learning how to say no to that.

Anyway, the wizard's charm utility is also a decent pick.

No doesn't always work. Especially for family or girl/boy friends.

I've seen relationships break down over less.

Too damn troublesome.

Now If you only used in such a way no one knew about it, you would be on to something. Like if you were a "magician" and you could always exscape everything...

But if you let people in on your secret then you invite troublesome situations.

TeChameleon
2015-09-26, 08:26 PM
... prestidigitation, anyone?

... anyone?

Bueller?

Incredible flexibility, easily concealed, and a myriad of uses. Heck, worth it even for just being able to flavour your food (or someone else'... if it lasts an hour, you could get work as a chef renowned for the most fantastic, delicate flavours... as long as they finish their food in an hour, anyhow :smalltongue:)

But minor telekinesis, pyrokinesis (telepyroticism, for those of you that want technical correctness over common useage), small illusions... yeah, that'd be the route I'd take, since being able to hurl fireballs would be of rather limited use in daily life. Although it might be fun for a party trick :smallbiggrin:

SangoProduction
2015-09-26, 09:00 PM
Yeah, prestidigitation is pretty good. Being able to enjoy even the most sickening of "healthy" food would be quite nice.

YossarianLives
2015-09-27, 08:40 PM
I'd take Dimension Door. I get to teleport 50 feet once per day and it only effects the caster so I won't end up with people pleading me to use it on them!

TopCheese
2015-09-28, 01:53 PM
I'd take Dimension Door. I get to teleport 50 feet once per day and it only effects the caster so I won't end up with people pleading me to use it on them!

Hey bob, can you take xyz up these 3 flights up stairs? Pllllleeeeeeaaaassseeeeee.

Xyz = heavy object.

Hey Bob, you are under suspicion for every murder that we can't figure out how the killer got into the room with the target. You say you can do it once per day but we don't believe you.

Hey Bob, the client wants to see your cool ability. Come on, be a team player!

bloodshed343
2015-09-29, 06:14 PM
Probably a strange choice, but I would go with Perfect Recall. Having an infallible memory is a pretty decent perk.

Any of the cleric healing utilities would be good. Never be sick again!

But I think my overall top pick would be Minor Creation from the Psion. Just carry around an empty bag and pretend you're pulling out whatever you happen to need.

SangoProduction
2015-09-29, 06:29 PM
Probably a strange choice, but I would go with Perfect Recall. Having an infallible memory is a pretty decent perk.

But I think my overall top pick would be Minor Creation from the Psion. Just carry around an empty bag and pretend you're pulling out whatever you happen to need.

True. True. Those are pretty sick.

TopCheese
2015-09-29, 09:22 PM

Because I ruin everything...

The memory thing you could pass off as quarky/mostly normal but I hope you have full control of it or else you might remember things you don't want to know... Like your birth or other events in your life.

Anyone catches you doing actual healing is going to catch you on mobile cam and show the world, this causing massive problems for you (such as saying you are the second coming of Jesus or whatever). This may also lead to cults or the government coming after you.

Minor creation could work but I'm sure I'll figure something that could go wrong... Oh! Do this in a public space and someone may think you are stealing stuff. You would have to watch out when you did it or else people will think you are shoplifting or whatever. :P

As long as you are careful it should be fine though.

bloodshed343
2015-09-30, 04:45 PM
Because I ruin everything...

The memory thing you could pass off as quarky/mostly normal but I hope you have full control of it or else you might remember things you don't want to know... Like your birth or other events in your life.

Anyone catches you doing actual healing is going to catch you on mobile cam and show the world, this causing massive problems for you (such as saying you are the second coming of Jesus or whatever). This may also lead to cults or the government coming after you.

Minor creation could work but I'm sure I'll figure something that could go wrong... Oh! Do this in a public space and someone may think you are stealing stuff. You would have to watch out when you did it or else people will think you are shoplifting or whatever. :P

As long as you are careful it should be fine though.

As long as you only heal yourself, people will just think you're abnormally healthy/lucky.

Minor creation becomes infinitely more useful as your definition of a "tool" expands. Any issues about people seeing you can be solved with a backpack. Create the item inside the backpack, then pull it out as if it had been there all along. If anyone asks why you happen to have a Geiger counter, a micrometer, a bastard file, a crowbar, a hammer, and a hand shovel in your backpack, remind them that it's not their place to judge your life choices.

Dimers
2015-10-01, 10:01 PM
Teleporting requires line of sight, so most of those aren't as useful as they appear, in my opinion.

As good as prestidigitation is, I'd prefer the wild talent power mental tools. In any game that isn't completely combat-centric, I find myself either choosing Wild Talent Master to get it or wishing I had. Not that mental tools is encounter or daily ... but then neither is prestidigitation.

Words of friendship would be very useful in real life.

I guess if I had to choose an encounter or daily racial/class power, I'd go for the witch's augury. I feel much healthier, more sociable and more ready to handle life when I have some idea of what's to come, and augury could apply to every area of life, one question at a time.

Leewei
2015-10-02, 12:29 PM
I'd have to think hard about this one, but I'll point out that Compendium Clerics get Raise Dead as a Daily.

Inevitability
2015-10-02, 03:28 PM
I'd have to think hard about this one, but I'll point out that Compendium Clerics get Raise Dead as a Daily.

That would be more trouble than it's worth. Unless you either are planning to only use it disguised as reanimation attempts or to become a religious leader.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-10-02, 05:11 PM
Spell like ability Speak with animals.

Yeah, it's useless compared to pretty much anything, but come on, it's speaking with animals.
I know, I know, I'm almost more of a ranger than I am an expert.

ranagrande
2015-10-04, 05:07 AM
I'd take Mass Cure Light Wounds and start a new career as a faith healer.

Yakk
2015-10-05, 10:13 AM
I'd take Raise Dead.

I have a child.

bloodshed343
2015-10-08, 01:16 AM
What is a "move action" in real life? I have a feeling that you could chain Ethereal Sidestep to teleport long distances without being seen.

georgie_leech
2015-10-08, 02:34 AM
What is a "move action" in real life? I have a feeling that you could chain Ethereal Sidestep to teleport long distances without being seen.
Barring other abilities (which according to the premise of this thread you don't have) it's at most twice per 6 seconds.

bloodshed343
2015-10-09, 03:07 PM
Barring other abilities (which according to the premise of this thread you don't have) it's at most twice per 6 seconds.

So let's say it's 150 squares to my physics lab, and I move at 3 squares because I'm fat and filled with doughnuts by the time I get moving towards the lab. This means I use 50 move actions, or 150 seconds of time. If I moved at a speed of 6 squares, like the youngsters do, I would only use 25 actions, or 75 seconds in time. In neither case do I actually stop moving to wait for my next action.

So, if I used Ethereal Sidestep all the way to the lab, it would take me 150 actions, or 450 seconds. This has no benefit other than being really cool looking.

georgie_leech
2015-10-09, 03:24 PM
So let's say it's 150 squares to my physics lab, and I move at 3 squares because I'm fat and filled with doughnuts by the time I get moving towards the lab. This means I use 50 move actions, or 150 seconds of time. If I moved at a speed of 6 squares, like the youngsters do, I would only use 25 actions, or 75 seconds in time. In neither case do I actually stop moving to wait for my next action.

So, if I used Ethereal Sidestep all the way to the lab, it would take me 150 actions, or 450 seconds. This has no benefit other than being really cool looking.

Oh no question, if I could teleport more or less at will I'd never walk anywhere ever again.

Kurald Galain
2015-10-09, 03:31 PM

Unless you have a walking cane of the traveller...

bloodshed343
2015-10-12, 01:21 AM
Oh no question, if I could teleport more or less at will I'd never walk anywhere ever again.

So I was thinking more about this and I think it would work like this: You disappear from where you are, then reappear anywhere else in x seconds, depending on the distance. Theoretically you could teleport to the Moon and back, it would just be much slower than walking there.

georgie_leech
2015-10-12, 02:06 AM
So I was thinking more about this and I think it would work like this: You disappear from where you are, then reappear anywhere else in x seconds, depending on the distance. Theoretically you could teleport to the Moon and back, it would just be much slower than walking there.

While walking/running is not supposed to be stop and go, teleportation effects have explicit limitations on how far any given use of the ability can take you. Otherwise you would be immune to attack for as long as you continuously teleported.

mjorkk
2015-10-13, 03:47 AM
racial traits are on the table? Two Words: Living Construct.

Inevitability
2015-10-13, 02:30 PM
racial traits are on the table? Two Words: Living Construct.

I like the way you think.