PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wyvaran Race Question

thecrimsondawn
2015-09-25, 12:16 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/wyvaran-17-rp

So I see that this race has the type of Dragon. I just started to really play pathfinder, so I know some rules are different then 3.5
The RP cost of that type alone is huge, so that leaves me to ask this question.

When a race is granted a type such as this, is one to assume you get all racial bonuses and weaknesses associated with it, or is it like 3.5 where you only use the data when taking racial levels?
In regards to my question, a dragon type has a rather large hit die. If I was to have class levels as a caster (d6) would it be d12 if I am this race?

Now assuming that like 3.5 it is racial hit die related only, I see nothing like that in pathfinder. Can someone direct me to the related information on taking racial levels if the latter is the case?

Edit: Ok it seems that I found the answer to my own question after a bit of searching since all monsters have no ECL or LA in pathfinder, the 0 or 1HD is replaced with class levels, just like 3.5
Still, is there any point to taking racial levels then? Savage Species kinda had a monster progression chat that you gain stuff for leveling. I see skills, BAB, Hit die, and all that info, but nothing gained for taking levels as a monster.
Now, being fully aware of how broken 3.5 is, I fully understand why one would do this, but I am asking just to make sure I am not just missing a book here :3

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-09-25, 12:23 PM
You get the traits of Dragons, but the other stuff is overwritten by having class levels.

Darkvision 60 feet and low-light vision.
Immunity to magic sleep effects and paralysis effects.
Dragons breathe, eat, and sleep.

The ARG and B4 entries state that, just not the PFSRD entry. Also, since you're a dragon, can't take levels in Dragon Disciple.

thecrimsondawn
2015-09-25, 12:25 PM
You get the traits of Dragons, but the other stuff is overwritten by having class levels.

The ARG and B4 entries state that, just not the PFSRD entry. Also, since you're a dragon, can't take levels in Dragon Disciple.

Thanks for the reply.
I made an edit to my post refining my question a bit.

As a dragon race, am I able to decide to just "take" a racial level in dragon to get more hp, saves, and BAB?

stack
2015-09-25, 12:41 PM
In the race builder the dragon type is horribly overpriced. Compare it to the plant type, for example. Since you don't get racial HD, you don't benefit form the D12s, saves, etc. But saying the race builder is broken is hardly news.

I am not aware of any way to 'take' racial HD in place of levels. Since these will almost always be worse than getting actual class features I can't say I would recommend doing so if it was allowed. Dragon HD would get you a nice stack of numbers for a base chassis, but that won't get you far when everyone else has spells or other interesting things. Works for an NPC I guess.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-09-25, 12:56 PM
There isn't really a way to do that; its a race. Not the only one that isn't humanoid. Native Outsiders such as tieflings and aasimars don't get outsider HD, dig?

Psyren
2015-09-25, 12:59 PM
You can't level via HD in Pathfinder, even as a monster race. Monsters have to be advanced by the GM; PCs can only gain levels, and then only in classes. There are no racial classes.

Without Dragon HD, you get some of the benefits of the dragon type (e.g. darkvision and immunities) but not all (proficiencies, BAB, saving throw bonuses etc.) Those come only from HD, which mean they will instead come from your class levels.