PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Spell Points (esp. for Multiclass Characters)

Drackolus
2015-09-25, 12:44 PM
So, I've been thinking about making a multiclass cleric/druid. Our group doesn't currently use the spell point system. Now, by my logic, if the class is already balanced, giving them more flexibility without taking anything away makes the class too powerful - which, as much as I and at least one other player love the idea, is why I haven't suggested the spell point system already.

On the same vein, I've come to the realization that multiclassing two full spellcasters may not be so bad. You miss out on the better class abilities and higher level spells, but when you think about it, out of your 22 slots at level 20, 18 of them are 6th level or lower, and you would have greater versatility with those spell slots. (out of the full progression casters, only the Wizard gets a linear amount of spell preparation - every other class drops off at 10)
However, with spell points, it's a real boost in power for multiclass characters. If you're a 8 cleric 5 druid, you'd have 7th level slots... but since you don't know any 7th level spells, you'd get more power out of two 3rd level spells at 3rd level than one 4th level spell at 7th level. A decent balancing measure I'd already thought of was to say the character cannot cast spells higher than a level they know with either class. Take away a bit of their ability to throw a lot of power in a single round, so their issue becomes more action economy. Sorta feels like mutliclasses in older editions, who had a ton of lower level slots but no higher level spells at all. So, my questions are:

1) Are spell points for a single-classed character too strong?
2) If so, how would you balance it?
3) Is a mostly even split between two full spellcasting classes about as strong as a single-classed version of either class (assuming the build is otherwise solid)
4) How strong would the above character be with a spell point system?

Strill
2015-09-25, 05:42 PM
3) Is a mostly even split between two full spellcasting classes about as strong as a single-classed version of either class (assuming the build is otherwise solid)No. Your highest level spells are strong enough to trivialize many encounters. A Wall of Force can turn a single deadly encounter into two medium encounters, which your martial characters can trounce. While multiclassing may make less of a difference at level 20, it makes a big difference at levels 1-10. When you multiclass, you are delaying those highest level spells, and in turn, losing a huge portion of your potential power as a spellcaster.

Are spell points for a single-classed character too strong?I agree that just giving spell points to all spellcasters is too much. That's why my group gives Spell Points to Sorcerers, and Sorcerers specifically. If you compare Sorcerer to Bard, the Sorcerer gets Metamagic, and the Bard gets a huge variety of strong perks. While metamagic is good, it's not good enough to match all the crazy stuff the Bard gets.

How strong would the above character be with a spell point system?A lot stronger than they otherwise would be. Being able to cast Web over and over and over again is a major advantage. Overall I don't think they'd be much stronger than a single-classed character though. The question I'd be asking is "how do you define multiclassed spellcaster"? With an even split, yes I'd support spell points, but the more you favor one class over the other, the more and more difficult it is to justify giving them anything extra.