PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.PF] Need some good abberation-themed bads to throw at a very high-powered party

AnonymousPepper
2015-09-25, 02:30 PM
Level 16. Human Paladin of Paladine, Elf Artificer, Gnome Alchemist, Half-Orc Swashbuckler, Orog Warder (Zweihander).

Four of them - minus the swash - slaughtered their way through a room full of ulitharids and advanced beholders and an alhoon to boot last week. Their power level is of course partially my own fault, but I invited it so I'm willing to work with it. But I'm at the point where I'd like to ask if anybody's got any ideas.

The situation is that they're directly taking the fight to a daelkyr invasion. On Golarion. It's a long story. Planescape, enough said honestly. They just landed with the rest of the army they've spent their last few in-and-out-of-game months gathering up and they're pushing in.

Anyway, so, aberrations and abberation-themed enemies, things like dolgaunts with class levels, as well as chaotic evil outsiders, are the order of the day. Equally obviously, the daelkyr itself is being saved for last.

What would some good enemies to throw at these lot be? I'm ready to pull all stops at this point, we're coming up to the end of the story arc and the party's been killing their way through everything in sight with nary a speed bump and I've no compulsion to hold back. Ideas would be great.

Inevitability
2015-09-25, 02:45 PM
Druids with Aberration Wildshape can be really strong, depending on the build. Fluff it as a group of druids who see the aberrations as another, superior group of creatures destined to become the world's new dominant lifeforms. Alternatively, they might have simply been created from captured druids through horrifying experiments that warped them into little more than aberrations themselves.

For extra fun, the druids may still have control over their voice. If the PC's have made any druid allies, you can really unnerve them by having their former ally shamble towards them, begging to be killed, when suddenly he morphs into a giant aberrant roper-esque creature that starts tearing out brains.

AnonymousPepper
2015-09-25, 03:03 PM
Druids with Aberration Wildshape can be really strong, depending on the build. Fluff it as a group of druids who see the aberrations as another, superior group of creatures destined to become the world's new dominant lifeforms. Alternatively, they might have simply been created from captured druids through horrifying experiments that warped them into little more than aberrations themselves.

For extra fun, the druids may still have control over their voice. If the PC's have made any druid allies, you can really unnerve them by having their former ally shamble towards them, begging to be killed, when suddenly he morphs into a giant aberrant roper-esque creature that starts tearing out brains.

Bro.
Bro.
I think I love you.
I think I've also finally found a legitimate use for Planar Shepherd too...

So, that's one encounter... got any more ideas?

How about something that serves as a decent and believable mook without just being cannon fodder?

Svata
2015-09-25, 03:43 PM
Nothing to contribute, just misread the title as "aberration themed bards" at first, and now the idea of a bagpiping beholder is stuck in my head.

AnonymousPepper
2015-09-25, 04:47 PM
Nothing to contribute, just misread the title as "aberration themed bards" at first, and now the idea of a bagpiping beholder is stuck in my head.

There is no Psychic Chirurgery sufficient to remove that image from my head.

Randomguy
2015-09-25, 08:26 PM

I've always figured that the best abberation bard would be a Gibbering Mouther with ranks in perform (barbershop quartet). Speaking of which, you could take a gibbering mouther, advance it's HD by 4 and slap the epic Pseudonatural Creature template onto it to make a CR 20 mini-boss. Or maybe just a regular encounter, I'm not quite sure how powerful it would be exactly, its hp might be on the low end for that level.

You could make an arcane caster, probably a wizard, that specializes in calling and binding pseudonatural (the non-epic kind) and half-farspawn creatures. Half-farspawn demons would work well for this situation. Maybe make it a cabal instead of just the one wizard. These could be very threatening if played intelligently: When the combat starts going badly and their minions start dying, they teleport away, prepare nothing but Lesser Planar Binding, Planar Binding and Greater Planar Binding for the next few days to build up their minions to launch a counterattack. Check out the practical guide to demonkeeping (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5573.0) if you want to be thorough, but for Planer Binding Glabrezu is a solid choice, and for GPB the marilith is pretty good.

Deophaun
2015-09-25, 09:11 PM
How about something that serves as a decent and believable mook without just being cannon fodder?

If you're going the infested Druid route as opposed to the crazy Druid route, Tsochar in LoM would be perfect. The little parasites can burrow into any creature and take hold, and the older ones are wizards.

Yeah, you laugh at the Tarrasque now, but when it casts time stop you'll be reaching for a new pair of pants.

AnonymousPepper
2015-09-26, 12:21 PM
If you're going the infested Druid route as opposed to the crazy Druid route, Tsochar in LoM would be perfect. The little parasites can burrow into any creature and take hold, and the older ones are wizards.

Yeah, you laugh at the Tarrasque now, but when it casts time stop you'll be reaching for a new pair of pants.

Reading it, can't tsochar only legally burrow into humanoids? The Tarrasque is a magical beast.

Deophaun
2015-09-26, 12:26 PM
Reading it, can't tsochar only legally burrow into humanoids? The Tarrasque is a magical beast.
Nope. It can burrow into anything that isn't incorporeal, a construct, undead, elemental, ooze, or plant. The Tarrasque is none of those, so it's a legal target for Wear Flesh. Plus, the Tarrasque's regeneration actually makes rendering it helpless easy.