PDA

View Full Version : Question about weapon alignment

hobbsend
2015-09-25, 02:40 PM
Hey all, so I've got an artificer who my party will soon be going against, and I was looking over the infusion list. One of the infusions allows him to change the alignment of the weapon. One of the characters has a living spiked chain as a weapon, now would changing the alignment of the weapon to something opposite of the party (it's an evil party) have any negative effects on it's use? Thanks!

Red Fel
2015-09-25, 02:58 PM
Hey all, so I've got an artificer who my party will soon be going against, and I was looking over the infusion list. One of the infusions allows him to change the alignment of the weapon. One of the characters has a living spiked chain as a weapon, now would changing the alignment of the weapon to something opposite of the party (it's an evil party) have any negative effects on it's use? Thanks!

When you say "living" spiked chain, do you mean "intelligent?" Because intelligent weapons do have certain quirks. Most importantly is that intelligent weapons already have an alignment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm#intelligentItemAlignment), automatically. The "Align Weapon" infusion explicitly "has no effect on a weapon that already has an alignment, such as a holy sword." Since the infusion doesn't work on something that already has an alignment, it won't work on an intelligent item.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-25, 03:49 PM
I'm assuming this is the Living Chain from either p53 of the MIC or p42 of MH. Either way, it's not actually a sentient weapon. So technically the only effect of an aligned weapon is to overcome certain types of Damage Reduction.