PDA

View Full Version : Fairie Fire VS Silent Image

moonspire
2015-09-25, 04:20 PM
Hello, i have a question about the interaction between Fairie Fire and silent image. If a pc uses silent image to make a black bubble around himself in a dark area, would Fairie Fire expose him? thanks for any insight.

Flickerdart
2015-09-25, 04:30 PM
Yes - Silent Image doesn't say anything about blocking the effects of other spells, so you'd have a black sphere that also appears to conceal a source of candle-light.

moonspire
2015-09-25, 06:41 PM
So illusion spells don't block line of sight? example.. I make a stone wall silent image and then cast a light spell on a item behind that wall. then the glow of a torch light will be seen beyond the wall? Doesn't really make sense.

zergling.exe
2015-09-25, 06:45 PM
So illusion spells don't block line of sight? example.. I make a stone wall silent image and then cast a cast light spell on a item behind that wall. then the glow of a torch light will be seen beyond the wall? Doesn't really make sense.

As the wall is not actually there, the torch would illuminate things on the other side of it. The wall itself would block vision entirely if the viewer believes it is real but there would be a suspicious glow on the ground.

moonspire
2015-09-25, 06:54 PM
Wouldn't for example a 10X10 black bubble block the view of the creature outlined in fairie fire or candle light? Again thanks for the insight.

Stront
2015-09-25, 10:06 PM
Perhaps the better question would be what can thwart Faerie Fire? We know a 2nd Level or higher Darkness spell can. What about a Mirror Image?

Jack_Simth
2015-09-25, 10:32 PM
Perhaps the better question would be what can thwart Faerie Fire? We know a 2nd Level or higher Darkness spell can. What about a Mirror Image?Directly answered in Mirror Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mirrorImage.htm):
Figments seem to react normally to area spells (such as looking like they’re burned or dead after being hit by a fireball).
Is Faerie Fire an area spell? Yep. So is Glitterdust (but you might still be blinded).