PDA

View Full Version : Updating Dragon Mag spells

Aleolus
2015-09-25, 05:47 PM
Hey all. I have a couple of spells from Dragon Magazine (I think #206) that I would like to bump up from AD&D to 3.5. I'm not sure if Dragon Mag is a quotable source, so I'll just summarize each of them.

1. Mordekainen's Instant Wizardry. This spell takes one random spell the target has prepared (or available, presumably), and "visits its effects upon him". Basically, whatever spell is selected is cast as though the target hhad cast it on himself. If the target is an invalid target for his own spell (such as Hold Monster), he still looses the spell, but nothing happens.

2. Alamanther's Return. This is a nasty one. It allows the wizard to cast any spell he has seen cast, if it is one he cannot cast himself. The downside? It is cast at the caster level of the person he saw casting it ( so a Wizard using this to copy a Cleric spell from a lower-level cleric would use the clerics CL, not his own)

Werephilosopher
2015-09-25, 06:36 PM
Alamanther's return was updated to 3.0 in Magic of Faerūn.

ericgrau
2015-09-25, 06:45 PM
1. Does it have a save?

2. This one is a bit crazy. 9th level at least. Would make you pay all the costs of the duplicated spells as usual, such as xp and material costs. Should probably cost an extra 2,000 xp on top of that or else be limited to 8th level spells max. EDIT: I found the updated spell and it seems about right. I see no reason to not use it in 3.5.

Aleolus
2015-09-26, 11:02 AM
Yes, Mordekainen's Instant Wizardry allows a save vs spell in the original version.

I've never looked through MoF, can you summarize that version?

Psyren
2015-09-26, 11:15 AM
I've never looked through MoF, can you summarize that version?

It basically works like Wish's "duplicate spell" ability, except the following:

1) You have to have seen the spell (you knew this one already.) There appears to be no time limit on this, so you could potentially write a whole bunch of spells you plan to use this with into your backstory.
2) It can duplicate spells and SLAs up to 8th level regardless of type. (8th level divines, 8th level Wu Jen spells, 8th level banned schools etc. Anything 8th or lower is fair game.)
3) You can choose to pay XP (1:5 ratio) instead of providing an expensive component for the spell if you don't have that component handy.
4) The casting time is a full round instead of a standard. If you're duplicating a spell that is itself longer than that, the casting time is two full rounds.