PDA

View Full Version : What're the rules for buying LA off with Point Buy points?

SangoProduction
2015-09-25, 09:46 PM
I know I heard of it before, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

Draconium
2015-09-25, 09:48 PM
You can find the LA buyoff rules in the SRD, here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm). And I don't know what else to say...

SangoProduction
2015-09-25, 09:54 PM
You can find the LA buyoff rules in the SRD, here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm). And I don't know what else to say...

Yeah, I know of LA Buy off, but I heard of a version where you spent Point Buy for it instead.

Draconium
2015-09-25, 09:56 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood. But I don't think I've ever heard of using Point Buy to buy off LA.

Terazul
2015-09-25, 10:02 PM
There's a set of those in the E6 rules that's offered as a way for players to play some of the wackier races in an E6 setting. It's something along the lines of LA+0: 32 pts, +1:25, +2:18, +3:10. From my phone, so crappy formatting, but that's pretty much it anyway. All in all still applicable to other games as the stats will typically balance out but you end up with fun abilities. There are of course, as always, some LA+1/2 templates with stuff good enough that a point buy hit is totally worth it, so use with caution.

Also, since this an optional rule of an optional ruleset, of course ask your DM if they'll allow it first if you're a player.

AmberVael
2015-09-25, 10:02 PM
Its a homebrew rule proposed for E6.

If you pick a race or template with level adjustment, you get a different point buy. The numbers I am familiar with are as follows:

LA
Point Buy

+0

+1

+2

+3

+4

Personally I'm a fan of the idea, but generally I think what you can gain from a template far outweighs the point buy you lose. In fact, with the right template for your character, often you have a better statline in the end.

SangoProduction
2015-09-25, 10:44 PM
Oh, it's homebrew. Damn. Well, here's hoping the GM likes it.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-26, 04:24 AM

If it helps at all, it's fairly widely used homebrew. E6 is a variant used by people want to stick to to low-level adventures and play styles and is reasonably well thought out. It's not my cup of tea but I gave it a once over and I frequently heard good things back when it was still relatively new.

Crake
2015-09-26, 06:24 AM

It's worth noting it's a homebrew explicitly meant for E6 use, and not for normal games. The main reason being that in E6, +4 LA would mean your character would be stuck at level 2 forever, which would suck, but in a normal game, you'd be able to levelup beyond that.