PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Is this a balanced party? A new campaign, and concerns from my fellow party members.

Nishant
2015-09-25, 10:24 PM
As the title says, we're starting a new campaign after a TPK. This has caused a little unrest amoung the party. The bottom line is that we approached an issue wrong, but they still feel concerned. So they asked if I could ask the Powers of the knowledgeable members of the Playground again. so, here we go.

We half my Half-orc Barbarian (Going to go totem), a tiefling bard, a tiefling sorceror, and a high elf paladin. The idea is I'll play tank, the bard will go valor and focus stealth and utility, our sorceror is our 'blaster-caster', and the paladin is holding up the line with me while also taking care of healing upkeep.

Other notes that might be important;
- Our DM plans games to reach level 20, but we start at level 1
- To expand on my options in combat, I've considered multiclassing into battlemaster, but I'm wondering what I'd lose, and when would be the best time to transfer.
- Our bard is considering multiclassing into warlock; I read that you should dip at level six, but she's wondering about spell slots, given warlock has so few. I've also suggested he look into 'War Caster'
-We can't assume we'll be given certain magic items. While he had made rules for a 'magic market', not every item will be there.

I appreciate any advice you guys have to offer.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-09-25, 10:48 PM
Remember that balance isnt as much of an issue in 5E as it is in 3.5. You seem like a diverse enough group and Bard can pretty much do anything it feels like vert competently.

Going Totem is also a wise choice. Try not to think of yourself as a tank per say try and imagine yourself as "Strong like Bull in China shop".Battlemaster could be neat but weogh out losing that awesome Barbarian capstone especially if you know your going too 20

The Warlock dip is usually done. just to snag Eldritch Blast and maybe Agonizing Bladt/Repelling bladt. I suppose getting the aee on dark invocation could be nice for a Tiefling as well but I dont know if it justifies multiclassing outside of Bard. Warcaster is really good for any caster but a Valor Bard that geys into melee gets more out of it

The Paladin will be fine but the Oath doctates how he will work in battle a lot. Vengence for instance is more boss and elite mook kill-y than Ancients with itd godly "Screw you spellcasters" aura

Sorc type matters too since all 4 are pretty different

Nishant
2015-09-25, 11:04 PM
Sorry, 3.5 has a lot of unsaid rules about what you can and cant do without being punished, and all of us have a hard time getting that in mind.

As for my barbarian, I feel the same way. Our DM had us rolls stats in a funny way this time (5d6, straight down. first roll applied to str, second to dex, etc.) Rolled excessively high str, dex and con.. at the cost of an int of 6.

sorceror is draconic bloodline, Paladin is ancient oath, and bard is going valor. I see why they're worried. we're a heavy role play group as well, so we get connected to the characters.

Sigreid
2015-09-25, 11:08 PM
You should be fine. Our group has a druid and a ranger for healing, and honestly we only really use healing spells when someone drops to 0...which is usually the wizard who is a little to brave for his own good.

Nishant
2015-09-25, 11:13 PM
You should be fine. Our group has a druid and a ranger for healing, and honestly we only really use healing spells when someone drops to 0...which is usually the wizard who is a little to brave for his own good.

I wasnt aware rangers had healing spells

Sigreid
2015-09-25, 11:18 PM
I wasnt aware rangers had healing spells

Ours has cure. Granted I've never verified it's on his list, but he's not someone I would feel I had to check up on. Solid guy.

Nishant
2015-09-25, 11:22 PM
Ours has cure. Granted I've never verified it's on his list, but he's not someone I would feel I had to check up on. Solid guy.

I don't often play rangers. I've always been a barbarian/fighter/ Martial adepts type. Dipped in it to reach requisites for the Beastform Master in eberron, pre errata.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-09-25, 11:31 PM
Sorry, 3.5 has a lot of unsaid rules about what you can and cant do without being punished, and all of us have a hard time getting that in mind.

As for my barbarian, I feel the same way. Our DM had us rolls stats in a funny way this time (5d6, straight down. first roll applied to str, second to dex, etc.) Rolled excessively high str, dex and con.. at the cost of an int of 6.

sorceror is draconic bloodline, Paladin is ancient oath, and bard is going valor. I see why they're worried. we're a heavy role play group as well, so we get connected to the characters.

Sorc will choose an element and blast. Simple enough if he chooses his spells right. Ancient has the best aura and will be great for keeping you all alive and Bard does whatever it wants

You however my friend...I envy you. That style of character can be fun to play

https://m.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/1nktlg/krod_the_half_orc_rogue/

Nishant
2015-09-25, 11:42 PM
Sorc will choose an element and blast. Simple enough if he chooses his spells right. Ancient has the best aura and will be great for keeping you all alive and Bard does whatever it wants

You however my friend...I envy you. That style of character can be fun to play

https://m.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/1nktlg/krod_the_half_orc_rogue/

Krod and Karn may be related... Sounds a lot like how I play.

busterswd
2015-09-25, 11:58 PM
Regarding Warlock spells: don't forget, you get to refresh spell slots after a short rest. And as mentioned before, the cantrip is the main reason to make the dip.

I'm curious why the bard is going valor and not lore; you don't have a skill monkey, and it sounds like you have 3 potential damage dealers already. Plus, if the sorc is going blasty, you get more utility spells as lore. Lore just seems like better party synergy. I'll be the first to admit I'm biased toward Lore, though.

Nishant
2015-09-26, 12:05 AM
Regarding Warlock spells: don't forget, you get to refresh spell slots after a short rest. And as mentioned before, the cantrip is the main reason to make the dip.

I'm curious why the bard is going valor and not lore; you don't have a skill monkey, and it sounds like you have 3 potential damage dealers already. Plus, if the sorc is going blasty, you get more utility spells as lore. Lore just seems like better party synergy. I'll be the first to admit I'm biased toward Lore, though.

Story reasons, mostly. She favors the valor branch, as well.

bid
2015-09-26, 12:44 AM
It all depends how you want to handle combat, but you already have 2 melee with extra attacks. You are right to concentrate on utilities.

Warlocks need a strong EB with the Cha boost because it only has 2 spell slots. You will spend more rounds casting a control spell and can have fun with vicious mockery and sacred flame when you aren't. I think dipping there is overkill for your group.

I would go:
- Cleric 1 for medium armor,
- Lore 18 for the last magical secrets,
- Rogue 1 for more expertise,
With point buy, you can 8 14 14 10 13 16 and that's a great start.

Best domain is Knowledge, it will shore up your int skills. I don't think you need Life + goodberry since the pally heals well too. Otherwise, Nature + thorn whip or Death with chill touch offer more combat damage.

By the time you reach level 7 and get you first magical secrets, you'll have a better idea what tickles your fancy but you could steal crusader's mantle 2 levels before you pally friend gets it.

I suppose the high elf will go dexadin. If you often do short rest, you could dip warlock to get 2 more smites.

Barbarian level 20 cap is too sweet to pass up. Use a few ASI on feats though.

It is fun that you have 3 characters with better intelligence but no wizard. I guess the palladunce will be the smartest of the bunch.:biggrin:

busterswd
2015-09-26, 01:39 AM
Story reasons, mostly. She favors the valor branch, as well.

That's fine; the bard spell list as it stands is already pretty sexy for utility, and jack of all trades at level 2 is also super helpful. However, since she's set on valor, then warlock is probably not going to be a great dip for her. The damage difference between shooting arrows and flinging eldritch blast is not going to be worth being a spell level behind on her bard spells.

Has she considered dipping into Fighter for Action Surge instead? Or is Warlock thematically appropriate for her?

I'm curious what her Dex and Cha are.

Nishant
2015-09-26, 02:16 AM
That's fine; the bard spell list as it stands is already pretty sexy for utility, and jack of all trades at level 2 is also super helpful. However, since she's set on valor, then warlock is probably not going to be a great dip for her. The damage difference between shooting arrows and flinging eldritch blast is not going to be worth being a spell level behind on her bard spells.

Has she considered dipping into Fighter for Action Surge instead? Or is Warlock thematically appropriate for her?

I'm curious what her Dex and Cha are.

I'll talk to her about it. she has a cha of 18 and a dex of 16 at level 1