PDA

View Full Version : Alicorn as a weapon

RingofThorns
2015-09-26, 08:09 AM
I was thinking up neat weapon ideas the other day and I had a thought now feel free to point out if this is wrong in the confines of the game. Anyway I had this idea for using an Alicorn [or the horn of a unicorn if you prefer] as an actual weapon, I didnt find anything like this in the book I have access to currently and seeing how Alicorn are often depicted being atleast a foot to two feet in length could a person not simply take one and mount a handle to it and use it like a rapier or saber? Then of course while thinking this I started dreaming up a whole fae duelist/fencer type character, that has nothing to do with the question just a fun little bit extra......your welcome...I guess....whatever, any thoughts?

Cirrylius
2015-09-26, 09:01 AM
Did someone just watch Legend again? :smallwink:

Aldrakan
2015-09-26, 09:07 AM
I don't know that there's any specific support for this, but it seems like a pretty cool idea, and making weapons and armor out of supernatural creatures is a long D&D tradition. Although flavorwise making use of that part of a unicorn is generally an evil thing to do (not sure if that's any obstacle).

Worth noting that a unicorn's horn is the focus of its magical abilities, so you could easily make it a magic item that retains some of them.

Bronk
2015-09-26, 12:27 PM
There is a spell called 'Alicorn Lance' in the Silver Marches web enhancement that creates an alicorn horn for use as a force projectile...

Daddoo
2015-09-26, 12:43 PM
I know in forgotten realms there is a staff made entirely of unicorn horns, it would be easy to redeem with the goddess Lurue and use that.

Cirrylius
2015-09-26, 01:26 PM
I didnt find anything like this in the book I have access to currently and seeing how Alicorn are often depicted being atleast a foot to two feet in length could a person not simply take one and mount a handle to it and use it like a rapier or saber?

Just the most boring-est interpretation? An Improvised Weapon with some kind of contextually appropriate weapon enchantment- it might have been used for healing in life, but in death perhaps it's more... aggressive.

Anyway, the alicorn being used by the unicorn does a d8; isn't there some faecraft weapon or something, some elvish martial sword that does that? Otherwise, rapiers or short swords are probably closest.

Then of course while thinking this I started dreaming up a whole fae duelist/fencer type character
To continue in that theme... A Paladin- an elven warrior prince(ss) , whose mount and tactical adviser is a unicorn who martyred his own living horn to forge a weapon of stupefying power against evil.

Oh... for completeness' sake, there's another googleable Forum article about alicorn items, but I don't think it has what you're looking for, conceptually.

Uncle Pine
2015-09-26, 02:02 PM
The horn of a unicorn is considered a +3 weapons, "though its power fades if removed from the unicorn". Thus, ask your DM if an entire (dead) unicorn could be used as base component for a +3 Large longspear or lance. Of course, do not detach the horn from the unicorn.

There's also Spell Thematics (Alicorn), or you could just fluff all your spell as alicorn themed, as described in the PHB.

Zaydos
2015-09-26, 04:24 PM
I've put a +3 spear (with healing powers) in a game that was made from an alicorn on a stick. I'd say if you just put a handle on it and tried to use it as a sword it'd be an improvised weapon which dealt 1d8 piercing damage and might be easier to enchant. I do like the idea of a fay warrior who wield a weapon made from an alicorn horn gifted to them by either a dying unicorn or other unicorns giving them the horn of an already deceased unicorn.

I blame Legend.