PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [DSP Psionics] How do you build a Dread focused on Nightmare Form?

EisenKreutzer
2015-09-26, 10:40 AM
While working on a fear-stacking Dread build, I sat down to study the Nigmare Form Terror. It seems pretty lackluster, and I get that you need to build around it if you intend to use it, or else skip it in favour of other Terrors.
I have read an excellent guide on the Dread, but it didn't go into detail about this Terror or how to build an optimal character around it.

So, how do you do it? Which Feats, Powers etc. synergize well with it, and how shoulnyou prioritize them?

PsyBomb
2015-09-26, 09:49 PM
While working on a fear-stacking Dread build, I sat down to study the Nigmare Form Terror. It seems pretty lackluster, and I get that you need to build around it if you intend to use it, or else skip it in favour of other Terrors.
I have read an excellent guide on the Dread, but it didn't go into detail about this Terror or how to build an optimal character around it.

So, how do you do it? Which Feats, Powers etc. synergize well with it, and how shoulnyou prioritize them?

I probably wrote the guide in question, since mine is the only one I know of, but I'll go into what I can. Not too big a fan of Nightmare Form, but it has its uses.

The first thing you have to know about that chain of Terrors is that they are not, in and of themselves, a primary tactic. They are one way to achieve a couple of different ones. Skillmonkeys can grab absurd Intimidate boosts and mobility bonuses, miss chance, deflection bonuses to AC, plus the benefits and drawbacks of being in Ectoplasmic Form to begin with. Mindlock builds get similar things, though they need to get Nightmare Touch to enable things. Direct-combat builds want to avoid this chain, since Ectoplasmic Form's drawbacks are particularly painful for them.

The big drawbacks are that Nightmare Form comes online very late, and this is a very Terror-intensive way to build things (especially if you are going for a Terror-based build to begin with). The big payoff, though is that Form builds become exponentially more powerful at 20 when you get your capstone.

TL;DR: Build the character with a goal in mind, as usual, but at level 8 grab Nightmare Form and start taking the Terrors that chain off of it which support your build goals while in Form.

EisenKreutzer
2015-09-26, 09:53 PM
That clears a few things up, certainly. I have to say though, after looking over the Ectoplasmic Form power it doesn't exactly wow me. I get that the Terrors you get later adds more functionslity and utility to the Nightmare Form, but to be honest I don't really see the appeal of this set of Terrors.