PDA

View Full Version : Goliath's in the Forgotten Realms?

kkortekaas
2007-05-17, 09:20 AM
Howdy Folks,
I've got a small problem...I've got a player that wants to play a Goliath fighter in my upcoming game. Now I fully support his desire, but I've got a small problem with regional feats, see when I stage games in the Forgotten Realms, I always give a PC a free regional feat if they qualify for it. And now to my problem...

Goliath's aren't native to Faerun, and I'm looking to place a couple Clan's of Goliath's in the realms around the Cormyr area (I'll be running the group through Tearing of the Weave), probably in either the Stormhorns, the Desertmouth Mountains, Thunderpeaks or possibly even the Sunset Mountains.

Now I don't want to shaft the player that wants to play a Goliath, so can anyone suggestion Regional feats that might be appropriate?

Also,
Does the character need a feat to wield a medium sized Greatsword in one hand with a shield? I could understand it for a Large Sized Greatsword but I'm unsure with the medium sized one.

Much appreciated.

Rahdjan
2007-05-17, 09:29 AM
I'd say allowing a race not native to FR to the player is fair enough. Save the regional feats for the players that want to play something that HAS a region.

kkortekaas
2007-05-17, 09:34 AM
Okay, fair enough, but lets say I did want to find a corner of the realms for the Goliath...

Starsinger
2007-05-17, 11:24 PM
Maybe he was Gated into the Realms on accident? If you're hard set on giving Goliaths a place than ignore this, but maybe he's the only Goliath? And just let him select a feat for the region you decide he was Gated in to? I mean afterall, a wizard could've done it.

Person_Man
2007-05-17, 11:28 PM
Allowing a Fighter Goliath access to Knockback (free Bull Rush with each attack, Races of Stone) and the Dungeoncrasher ability (give up Fighter bonus feats to deal massive damage on a Bull Rush when you fling them into a wall, Dungeonscape) is plenty of power, in my opinion. So I doubt your player will feel screwed.

Also, why would you use a non-animated shield?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-17, 11:57 PM

Probably because he's poor.

TheThan
2007-05-18, 12:10 AM

oh wow.. that so needs to be quoted somewhere.

Devils_Advocate
2007-05-18, 12:34 AM
Does the character need a feat to wield a medium sized Greatsword in one hand with a shield? I could understand it for a Large Sized Greatsword but I'm unsure with the medium sized one.
I don't think that there is a feat that allows a character to wield a two-handed weapon in one hand. So, technically, I think it just doesn't work. Non-technically, I imagine that a medium-sized greatsword's grip is basically somewhere between that of a longsword sized for a medium creature and that of a longsword sized for a large creature. And a goliath can use either of those in one hand without penalty, so he should be able to use a medium greatsword in one hand without penalty, too. So if you're the crazy sort of gamer who likes to make the occasional house rule based on logic and common sense :smallwink:, then just let him wield a medium greatsword in one hand without penalty without a feat.

If the game goes to a high enough level, it'll likely be a temporary issue anyway, since the Laws of Optimization demand the acquisition of an animated shield. (Two-handed Power Attack! For great damage!)

Hurlbut
2007-05-18, 02:17 PM
Champions of Valor already explain where to place the Goliaths.
It recommend you to place them in the Azirrhat or other northern mountains of Anuaroch, where they compete with the asabi for resources or in Chult unseen by lowland peoples because they live in high places. They can coexist with Uthgar followers, while the Spine of the world is cold they could come from a volcanically warmed hidden valley amid the frosty peaks.

In addition their origins could make them out to be a new race, a cross between earth genasi and stone giants. Friendly with earth genasi.

AriesOmega
2007-05-19, 07:27 AM
I know Goliaths follow their own gods, but is there other native to FR they would also, perhaps a renamed version of Tempus or something.

Droodle
2007-05-19, 08:25 AM
Also, why would you use a non-animated shield?Because the animated shield is one of the silliest things in D&D. It shouldn't exist.

Person_Man
2007-05-19, 03:34 PM

An animated heavy steel shield +1 costs 9,170 gp. So its a very affordable way to increase your AC by +3. A bargain, attainable at pretty low levels. But if you're hurting for AC that much at level one and you prefer it to the damage bonus from wielding a weapon two handed, I could understand not using one.

Because the animated shield is one of the silliest things in D&D. It shouldn't exist.

This I can't argue with. That's why I let my PC's make custom magic items that cost the same exact amount of money as an animated shield, that provide a shield bonus, but isn't a floating shield. (Usually they use gauntlets or a cloak or a helmet). Same exact mechanic, no silliness.

Hurlbut
2007-05-19, 04:56 PM
This I can't argue with. That's why I let my PC's make custom magic items that cost the same exact amount of money as an animated shield, that provide a shield bonus, but isn't a floating shield. (Usually they use gauntlets or a cloak or a helmet). Same exact mechanic, no silliness.
Oh what about...a ring of force shield?

Person_Man
2007-05-19, 09:33 PM
Oh what about...a ring of force shield?

Force Shield

An iron band, this simple ring generates a shield-sized (and shield-shaped) wall of force that stays with the ring and can be wielded by the wearer as if it were a heavy shield (+2 AC). This special creation has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance since it is weightless and encumbrance-free. It can be activated and deactivated at will as a free action.

A Ring of Force Shield is wielded as a shield. Thus, you can't use it with a two handed weapon. So its not nearly as useful as an animated shield (or one of my home brew variants) that frees up your hand.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-19, 09:40 PM
So a ring of force shield uses both a ring, and a hand slot? And costs more then a ring of protection? That makes no sense at all.

Really. Because 3 lb off encumberance, and removing no ACP compared to a mithral buckler, for the same AC, same ASF... makes it less useful than anything I can concievably think of. Oh yeah, and costing 6500 gp more.

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-20, 10:59 PM
Because the animated shield is one of the silliest things in D&D. It shouldn't exist.

Well, it's silly mechanically, but in literary tradition, it's kind of standard fare.

The White Knight
2007-05-21, 12:15 AM
Rings of Force Shield aren't so bad. Use a 1H weapon with it, swing it two-handed, then shift back to sword & board as a free action when you're done. Mind you, it's really only worthwhile if your DM allows you to enhance the item further, getting a higher shield bonus (and/or even special shield abilities) out of it.

Leon
2007-05-22, 05:01 AM

Why not?, not everyone wants to go the THF powerload

i belive that using a weapon not sized for the weilder incurs a -2 penalty to attacks per size catergory of the weapon

kkortekaas
2007-05-22, 06:46 AM
For those that are still interested,
I've plunked down a sizable population of Goliath's in the Desertmouth Mountains. They don't get out much and are primarily centered upon a fertile valley hidden deep within the mountains.

Talya
2007-05-22, 07:02 AM
Champions of Valor already explain where to place the Goliaths.

Really? What page?

kkortekaas
2007-05-22, 07:42 AM
Talya, I wouldn't hunt for it too much, it's like two small paragraphs that don't really tell you much...pg 96 or something akin to that

Talya
2007-05-22, 07:53 AM
Talya, I wouldn't hunt for it too much, it's like two small paragraphs that don't really tell you much...pg 96 or something akin to that

Huh, not what I was looking for, but Ophala and the Moonstone Mask of Neverwinter are mentioned there.

So did Bioware use older source material for that? Or did Wizards use Neverwinter Nights as canonical?

Hurlbut
2007-05-22, 09:12 AM
Yeah and I summarized it.