PDA

View Full Version : Help with a drow

Theodred theOld
2015-09-26, 10:09 PM
I need some ideas for a drow cleric level 11. She has become a target for a powerful assassin and would be suitably paranoid. Assume my understanding of clerics and all things clerical to be basic at best. Thus I find myself under prepared yet again and come to the playground for a bailout. Any help would be appreciated.

GilesTheCleric
2015-09-26, 11:28 PM
Is this an NPC or a PC? Any book or alignment restrictions? PrCs? How optimized would you like it?

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-26, 11:49 PM
What's the optimization limit?

Clerics can range from healbot+ to "I am my god's wrath incarnate."

Theodred theOld
2015-09-27, 09:02 AM
She is an Npc. A high ranking priestess of Lolth, so she should be fairly formidible and not just a heal-bot.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-27, 09:33 AM
I'd probably go with summon monster 6, greater command, and either flame strike or righteous might in the top slots (domain choices for lolth [I'm guessing] suck so they don't matter much).

Open with greater command to force the low will saves to flee, followed by summon monster 6 for a couple bearded devils or fiendish deinonychus, then slam them with flame strike or buff up to beat face with righteous might.

That should make a decent challenge for a low-ish optimization party. It's straight foward without being overwhelming, I hope. I'd need to know about the PC's builds and typical tactics to taylor it any better than this.

Theodred theOld
2015-09-27, 10:09 PM
This encounter may involve a fair bit of sneakiness and espionage. Is there anything on the cleric list around that level or lower to pierce illusions or block divinations?

Inevitability
2015-09-27, 10:46 PM
This encounter may involve a fair bit of sneakiness and espionage. Is there anything on the cleric list around that level or lower to pierce illusions or block divinations?

True Seeing is the default spell for illusion-piercing, and it's a 5th-level cleric spell. The other goal might be a accomplished with a Nondetection spell refreshed twice per day or so (3rd-level Trickery spell) A DC 26 caster level check will be hard to make for most characters at that level.

Fouredged Sword
2015-09-28, 11:58 AM
True Seeing is the default spell for illusion-piercing, and it's a 5th-level cleric spell. The other goal might be a accomplished with a Nondetection spell refreshed twice per day or so (3rd-level Trickery spell) A DC 26 caster level check will be hard to make for most characters at that level.

True seeing is a little pricey to just throw around. She would have it, but not as a prebuff. She would cast it as needed. Non-detection is her go-to for resisting divination. I suggest she just keep her willsave very high, not hard with a good base and high wis. Pair that with Invisibility Purge for when she expects someone to be sneaking around.

Studoku
2015-09-28, 12:30 PM
An expendable decoy with a hat of disguise.

It works right up until the point where the decoy has the real priestess killed and takes her place.

Fouredged Sword
2015-09-28, 12:33 PM

It works right up until the point where the decoy has the real priestess killed and takes her place.

This is why your Decoy is a simulacrum of yourself. Yes, it's an expensive 7th level sor/wis spell, but it's worth it if you are a paranoid leader. Get a scroll and avatar your way though the UMD check with a single point of UMD. A few thousand GP for a perfectly loyal 5th level servant who looks exactly like you... worth it.

Inevitability
2015-09-28, 02:29 PM

Then just don't make the decoy another drow, but a flesh golem (you only need someone to cast Limited Wish for you). Put some Magic Mouths on it that do nothing but say 'I really don't feel like talking right now. Guards, have that person removed.' every time someone asks something. For more complicated conversations, have the drow cast Stilled Silenced Illusions or just give the golem a way to speak and teach it what to say (there's probably a magic item that does the job).

Flickerdart
2015-09-28, 03:11 PM
This is why your Decoy is a simulacrum of yourself. Yes, it's an expensive 7th level sor/wis spell, but it's worth it if you are a paranoid leader. Get a scroll and avatar your way though the UMD check with a single point of UMD. A few thousand GP for a perfectly loyal 5th level servant who looks exactly like you... worth it.
Don't forget to have the wizard who casts it killed so that the secret won't get out. Smart? No. Classic villain move? Yes.