PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Primitive but interesting traps

treecko
2015-09-26, 10:18 PM
So I'm making a dungeon and I need some ideas for traps. I really don't like static traps that do damage once and nothing else, like an arrow trap or something. I'm looking for something that will make my players have to think about how to deal with it.

The dungeon in question is filled with primarily wild elves (re flavored kobolds) and their creatures. Now these wild elves are a primitive species, with a bow and arrow being the height of in innovation for them. The dungeon is in a giant tree.

The players are lv 1, and are also new to D&D.

Thanks for your help playground!

NNescio
2015-09-26, 10:28 PM
So I'm making a dungeon and I need some ideas for traps. I really don't like static traps that do damage once and nothing else, like an arrow trap or something. I'm looking for something that will make my players have to think about how to deal with it.

The dungeon in question is filled with primarily wild elves (re flavored kobolds) and their creatures. Now these wild elves are a primitive species, with a bow and arrow being the height of in innovation for them. The dungeon is in a giant tree.

The players are lv 1, and are also new to D&D.

Thanks for your help playground!

Reflavor Tucker's Kobolds as Applepi's Elves.

Pitfall traps, oil traps, arrow slits and everything in between. Throw in some low CR beasts as well since they're wild elves, like Owls doing flyby to distract you (taking the Help action) to give the elves advantage on their attacks.

Daishain
2015-09-26, 10:31 PM
Exotic poisons and intoxicants are always fun. For instance, the first one to enter a room gets stuck with something that will make him go berserk and attack anything he sees. For something more subtle, you might hit the party with hallucinogens that keep them questioning what's real (have wild elves and traps dressed up to look really bizarre to keep the confusion level high).

treecko
2015-09-26, 10:55 PM
lv 1s and newbie players, so I'm keeping the power level down. Good ideas though.

bid
2015-09-26, 11:31 PM
Swinging trunk to sweep them off a bridge.
Weak planks into poisoned caltrops.
Fire ants nest.
Indiana Jones' rolling boulder.
Filling a slope with pebble to make is slippery.
Anything that makes them sitting targets for the stones and arrows.

Basically some way to showcase nature and survival, in addition to the usual ones.

Kane0
2015-09-26, 11:36 PM
Door Snare: When you step in it, your foot goes through the one-say doors. You can notice it with a DC 10 Wisdom (Perception) check to avoid it and it can be broken out of with a DC 15 Strength check that requires an action.

Rope Snare: DC 10 Wisdom (Perception) check to spot, and a Dexterity saving throw (DC 12) to avoid getting caught in it. Failure means you are upended and suspended from the rope, taking 1d6 damage from the fall if cut down.

Pit Trap: DC 10 Widsom (Perception) check to spot, and a dexterity saving throw DC 12) to avoid falling in. Failure means you fall into the pit trap and take 1d6 fall damage. You need a DC 10 (Athletics) check to climb out, which uses half your movement.

Swinging Log/Rock: DC 10 Wisdom (Perception) check to spot, strikes all in its path for 2d6 bludgeoning damage once triggered. You can attempt a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw for half damage.

Poisonous Plant: A wall, bramble or other surface is coated in a poisonous substance. Those touching it must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 hour.

Bait dump: Moving through this area coats you with a scent that makes you enticing to certain predators, most commonly big cats, wolves, bears or scavengers like carrion crawlers. a DC 14 Wisdom (Perception) check reveals the presence of this scent and a DC 12 Intelligence (Nature) check can remove it without incident.

busterswd
2015-09-27, 12:03 AM
"Sticky" room: The floor of the room is covered in a sticky substance. The entire room is difficult terrain, and taking a move action requires a Acro/Athl check (DC 10), or the creature's speed becomes 0 for the round.

Tripwires: Require Passive Perception of 15 to spot, or an active Perception check of 10. All sorts of fun effects attached to these: insect swarms that obscure vision, bog standard spikes/swinging heavy things/blowdarts, etc. Moving past a tripwire that has been spotted requires an Athletics/Acrobatics check. Disarming them takes Sleight of Hand (DC 8, but takes an action) Sometimes the traps will have nothing really terrible on them, but have just enough really inconvenient ones where your party becomes extra cautious.

Combine the above with ranged attackers, or fleeing elves, or fleeing elves taking potshots.

Greased up treasure objects: Party members who attempt to pick up or interact with objects take disadvantage on attacks and ability checks that necessitate hands.

"Hidey Hole" room. The room is completely dark, minus light coming in from the doorway. After the party enters, the door slides shut. A group of elves have readied actions to bum rush the first enemy that's visible, so if the party lights a torch or casts light, elves get a surprise round. One or two elves will do their best to extinguish light sources while the others fight.